Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Reality by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry fell through an inky black sky, landing hard on pavement flooded in shadowy moonlight. He stood and found himself on a street that looked remarkably like Privet Drive. In front of him stretched a series of small houses, each with neatly manicured front lawns. Streetlamps illuminated the quiet neighborhood, and threw light on a dark man standing next to Harry.

Severus Snape.

Harry jumped backwards, startled. He glanced around, expecting to find Professor Dumbledore, but the headmaster was nowhere to be found. With a jolt, Harry realized he must be in one of Snape’s memories; his heart began to pound, with both excitement and dread.

With several small Pops four men suddenly appeared next to Snape. He gave them a withering look. “You’re late,” he sneered. Snape was several years younger, but Harry knew the voice only too well.

“You’re early,” snapped a tall stringy man. Harry recognized him as one of the Death Eaters who had fought at the Ministry a year ago. “They probably heard you.”

“I doubt it,” replied Snape, raising an eyebrow. “I can Apparate silently when I wish to.”

“We need to be more careful,” hissed another man whom Harry did not know. “These two have escaped twice already, and the Dark Lord wants them dead tonight.”

“Then let’s get this over with,” said Snape quietly, and Harry felt a sense of foreboding. The five men marched up to the house, wands drawn. Harry followed, instinctively pulling out his own wand even though he knew he could do nothing as a mere observer to the memory.

The Death Eaters came to the front door and without stopping blasted it in. Harry hurried after them to see who they were attacking, a sick feeling in his stomach. He rushed through the door and automatically ducked as a jet of red light flew straight at him. It hit the wall behind his head and Harry straightened to see the wizard who had cast the spell.

It was his father.

James and Lily Potter were crouched down behind a makeshift barrier of tables and chairs, obviously prepared to defend themselves. One Death Eater was already unconscious near the door, struck down as he entered; the others were ducking as more jets of light furiously criss-crossed the air. Harry simply stood in shock, watching the attack on his parents, as the curses passed harmlessly through him.

Snape rose to aim a curse at the couple. Harry saw him hesitate; a brief flash of doubt seemed to pass across the Death Eater’s face. To Harry’s astonishment Snape lowered his wand almost imperceptibly, and the curse bounced harmlessly off of a mirror behind Lily to hit one of the Death Eaters instead, sending him crashing to the floor. As the man Harry had recognized cried out in fury and turned toward Snape, he was struck down by a well placed jet of light from the wand of Lily Potter. Harry saw Snape raise his eyebrows at her, and she raised hers back.

The last Death Eater standing growled and raced toward the couch. Snape flung another curse at the Potters, and again he missed, sending a bookcase behind them toppling to the ground. Lily turned and frowned as James took out the last Death Eater and pointed his wand at Snape. Harry saw his father’s face contort with hatred as he began to fire on Snape. Lily grabbed his arm, and stopped him.

“No,” she said softly, and Harry heard a strange tone to her voice. “Wait.” James looked at her, his eyes still full of anger, but nodded stiffly. She stood up behind the barrier and faced Snape. Harry saw that she was clearly pregnant.

“Hello, Severus,” she said evenly. “You deliberately threw that fight.” James looked at her in surprise; Snape merely inclined his head.

“Perhaps,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. His dark eyes glittered strangely.

“We heard you Apparate, Severus,” she continued, pressing him. Harry was surprised at the familiar tone to her voice, as if she knew Snape fairly well.

“Sloppy work,” he replied blandly. “I apologize, we’ll sneak up on you much better next time.”

“Next time?” snarled James, furiously rounding the barrier on Snape. “There won’t be a next time, I’m tired of this - ”

“James,” Lily said tiredly. “Let me, please.” James turned to his wife, and Harry saw that his father was angry.

“Lily, he just tried to kill us and you’re practically having him over for tea! I don’t care if he was your friend, he’s also a - ”

“Stop it,” she snapped. “He didn’t try to kill us. He warned us he was coming, and he missed every shot he took. I want to know why.”

Snape had an ugly sneer on his face. “We don’t always get what we want, do we, Lily? Let’s just get this over with.”

Harry was confused “ get what over with? Why was Snape addressing his mother as if he knew her as well? Had they really been friends? Harry saw his mother narrow her eyes as she studied Snape. She frowned again, and then nodded as if she had made up her mind. “You’re right, we don’t always get what we want, Severus. Go ahead,” she said to James, still staring at Snape.

Snape raised his eyebrows and inclined his head. Harry saw an ugly look on his father’s face as James leveled his wand. Snape did not lift his own in defense, but stood perfectly still as James cried, “Stupefy!” Snape fell to the ground, unconscious, and Harry felt a cold white fog descend on the room, obscuring the memory.

“Mum? Dad?” he called out, though he knew full well they couldn’t hear him. Disoriented, he turned around, wondering what to do next. Quickly the white fog began to clear, and Harry found himself in a dark room.

Severus Snape, who had just failed to kill James and Lily Potter, was kneeling in front of a very angry Lord Voldemort.

Voldemort glared down at the younger Snape, his eyes cold and hard, his voice soft and deadly when he finally spoke after a long, painful silence.

“Severus Snape,” he said, circling around Snape. “I gave you an assignment. It was your task to accomplish, a chance to prove yourself.” He shook his head in mock sadness. “I am dreadfully disappointed. I had faith in you, and you failed.”

Harry’s eyes widened in surprise: Voldemort’s words were exactly the same as those he had spoken to Draco Malfoy in Spinner’s End, before he had killed Narcissa Malfoy. Snape had been assigned to kill Harry’s parents and had failed to accomplish his task, just as Malfoy had been assigned to kill Dumbledore and had failed as well. Harry watched with a hollow feeling in his stomach, dreading what might happen next.

“I am sorry, my Lord,” replied Snape, still kneeling and keeping his eyes to the floor. His voice was steady. “They must have been warned. They were prepared for our attack and ready to defend themselves.”

Voldemort stopped pacing and narrowed his eyes at Snape. “Apparently they can predict the future then, because this is the third time that they have had warning and escaped. I am very unhappy, Severus. How do you suppose they knew of the attack?”

Snape shook his head, though Harry saw the smallest flicker of apprehension pass across his face. “I do not know, my Lord.”

“I think you do, Severus,” replied Voldemort, his voice abruptly ugly and cruel. “And you will tell me.”

Snape was forced to his feet, as Voldemort stared piercingly into the Death Eater’s eyes. Harry knew the Dark Lord was trying to penetrate Snape’s mind, just as he had in Spinner’s End. Harry also knew that Snape was an accomplished Occlumens, and could defend himself against the Dark Lord.

Small beads of sweat broke out across Snape’s forehead, but he did not break eye contact. He betrayed no other sign of tension or fright, while Voldemort’s face gradually grew dark and angry as he was unable to find what he was looking for in Snape’s mind. Finally he waved his wand and sent Snape flying into a wall behind him. Snape crashed to the floor, his wand falling from his robes; he was winded and obviously in pain.

Crucio!” cried Voldemort as he advanced on the young Death Eater, and Snape was hit with the Cruciatus Curse. He grimaced in pain, but did not scream as he writhed on the ground at Voldemort’s feet.

“Did you warn the Potters?” Voldemort hissed at the dark haired man breathing heavily on the floor. “Did you betray me?”

“I did not, my Lord,” grated Snape. Voldemort shouted, and sent Snape rolling to the floor a second time. Snape could not stop the screams, and shrieked in agony. Harry watched in disgust and horror; the scene was remarkably like the one he had witnessed in Spinner’s End. Was this why Snape had turned to Dumbledore then? Harry felt a strange sense of pity for Snape, similar to that which he had felt for Draco Malfoy.

“I will break you,” Voldemort whispered, lifting the curse.

Snape struggled to his knees. “I did not betray you, my Lord,” he gasped. “I swear it!”

Voldemort narrowed his eyes at Snape, then abruptly whirled around. “Bring her in,” he ordered two of the other Death Eaters in the room. Snape’s eyes went wide in terror and he scrambled on the floor for his wand. Voldemort laughed and sent a flurry of white ropes from his wand, binding Snape fast. Harry had never seen such a look of fear on Snape’s face, and wondered whom the Dark Lord was summoning that frightened the young Death Eater so much. Was it Bellatrix Lestrange?

The Death Eaters returned, and Bellatrix Lestrange was indeed with them; but she was leading a second woman, bound and gagged. Bellatrix had a triumphant look on her face as she floated the captive toward Voldemort. As they passed by Harry, he studied the woman carefully.

She was probably the same age as Snape. She was dressed in blue robes that were ripped and dirty, and Harry saw that she was clearly expecting a child. She was tall and thin with long black hair that was long and straight; it was now a tangled mess. She had startling blue eyes that were almond shaped with thick lashes. A rather crooked nose and thin lips spoiled an otherwise beautiful face, as did the deep cut above her forehead. Harry assumed the woman had put up a fight before being captured; looking closely at Bellatrix Lestrange again, he saw that the Death Eater was also scratched and dirty, and sporting a swollen lip.

The bound woman did not appear frightened, but glared hatefully at Bellatrix. Snape wore a look of panic, his face pale and his eyes trained on the woman, as he frantically struggled to free himself from the ropes that held him fast.

“Hello Maura,” said Voldemort almost seductively, circling around the captured woman. Once more Harry was reminded of Spinner’s End, and how Voldemort had spoken with Narcissa Malfoy before killing her. The feeling of dread deep in Harry’s stomach increased.

“My Lord,” the black-haired woman replied evenly, lowering her head in respect. Harry saw her glance sideways at Snape, and an expression of panic passed quickly over her face, to be replaced with a look of frightened determination as she continued looking down.

Voldemort tilted her chin up, and she met his cold gaze. “You are lovely, Maura. Severus is a lucky man.” Harry felt his eyes widen in surprise. Was this woman Snape’s wife? Snape was married? “Unfortunately, he is also a foolish man,” Voldemort continued, running a thin finger down the woman’s pale cheek. “He won’t tell me what I want to know. Perhaps you can help.”

“No!” cried Snape, clearly anguished as he struggled with the ropes that bound him on the floor. Voldemort ignored him, and aimed his wand at the black-haired woman. She fell to the ground in a heap, and he cried, “Crucio!” once more. The woman screamed in pain as the Cruciatus Curse wound through her convulsing body.

“Stop!” shouted Snape, his eyes terrified as he watched the woman flail at Voldemort’s feet. “Yes, I warned the Potters of the attack. Leave her alone, she didn’t do anything!” Snape was gasping for breath, his face a desperate mask of terror.

Voldemort released the curse and left the black-haired woman lying on the floor, curled into a ball, clutching at her stomach. “I knew I could persuade you, Severus,” he said almost pleasantly. “Now why would you do such a thing? You have no love for the Potters, why betray me to save a Mudblood and traitor?” He seemed almost curious.

Snape took a deep breath before answering. “Lily Potter is expecting a child.”

Voldemort’s eyes widened in surprise, and he laughed cruelly. “That’s all?” he asked, as the Death Eaters around him began laughing as well. Bellatrix Lestrange had an almost hungry expression on her face; the woman on the floor stared at Snape with a look of both fear and love. Harry was astonished at this unseen side of Snape’s character.

“Severus,” said Voldemort quietly; all the laughter stopped. “You should have realized what would happen. Killing a woman “ even a woman expecting a child “ is easy.” Without hesitation he turned back to the bound woman on the floor and cried, “Avada Kedavra!”

The black haired woman collapsed in a halo of evil green light; the room went deathly still.

Harry stared in shock at the dead woman, at Voldemort, and finally at Snape. The look on the young Death Eater’s face was one of complete and utter loss; it was as if Snape had had his soul ripped out. Then his face twisted into an expression of manic fury, similar to the one Harry had seen when Snape had fled Hogwarts.

With a strangled shout, Snape broke free from the magical ropes binding him. Before Voldemort could react, he had called for his wand and was firing spells like a madman.

Voldemort was blasted into a wall; Bellatrix Lestrange was struck by a jet of red light and crumpled into a heap. Several more Death Eaters went down, unable to stop the curses thrown madly about the room. It was as if Snape were possessed, and no one could touch him. With a furious snarl, he grabbed the body of his dead wife, stepped around, and Apparated from the dark room, leaving behind a very stunned Harry.


* * *

A/N: Many thanks to the authors in the Hospital Wing for their insight into Snape’s character, particularly Grey Lady, who took the time to go over some of my thoughts with me and offer her valued opinions.
I think there is a definite reason that Snape turned on Voldemort, and I think it probably would have been a very traumatic experience that forced him to question and abandon his faith in the Dark Lord. Here I present a possible scenario. If you have any questions about this chapter, please feel free to ask. I look forward to your thoughts: thank you for reading and reviewing!