Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Reality by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry stared hard at Severus Snape; he felt his lip curl with hatred as he watched the former potions master move toward a bed nearby. Professor Dumbledore lay under light covers, his eyes closed. His face was pale and pinched with pain, but his breathing was regular. Snape sat down next to the bed, and Dumbledore spoke.

“It seems I owe you more than my thanks, Severus,” said the headmaster, his voice paper thin. “I owe you my life.” Dumbledore opened his eyes and smiled weakly. Harry was startled at how frail the headmaster appeared. He glanced at Lupin, who was watching Snape with narrowed eyes.

Snape merely inclined his head. “I am glad I was able to assist,” he replied quietly.

“You did more than assist,” said Dumbledore, as a light laugh turned into a cough. “Tell me, what happened after I Apparated back?”

“You sent your Patronus to the castle,” Snape began, sitting back and lacing his long fingers. “I came out to the castle gates to find you barely conscious, and I helped you back to your office. It was fairly obvious something serious had happened.” He paused, as if waiting for Dumbledore to explain.

The headmaster nodded and closed his eyes. “In good time, Severus. I will tell you my tale, once you finish yours. Continue, please.”

“I knew your physical injuries would be easily tended. It was the curse I was more concerned about. Mauros Fotia, Headmaster?” Snape raised his eyebrows. “Black Fire is extremely Dark Magic “ difficult and rare.”

“And painful, as well,” added Dumbledore. He held up his disfigured hand and sighed. “I see you were able to stop the curse from spreading. Thank you.”

“Of course,” acknowledged Snape. “Your tourniquet prevented the curse from taking more of your arm. I am only sorry the damage was already done to your hand.”

“I did not expect such an evil curse,” said Dumbledore softly. “It was all I could do at the time. How did you stop it?”

“There is a counter-curse,” answered Snape. “Not very many wizards are even aware it exists. Many Death Eaters, however, are.”

“Ah, of course,” nodded Dumbledore. “It would make a highly useful torture tool, wouldn’t it? I have never heard of the counter-curse, though.”

“It is a secret known only to a few of the Dark Lord’s most loyal followers.”

“I am glad I happen to know one. Please go on.”

Snape shrugged. “There is not much else to tell. You have been sleeping for three days now. I should tell you that you mumbled quite a bit at first. I was able to gleam some idea of what happened.”

Dumbledore glanced up sharply. “Was anyone else in to see me?” he asked quickly.

“No,” said Snape slowly. “I did not think you would wish them to hear about the Horcrux.” He watched the headmaster intently, his black eyes glittering.

Dumbledore blew out a long breath and closed his eyes. When he opened them he looked more tired than ever before. “I assume you’ve pieced it together then?”

Snape stood and began pacing the room. Harry was surprised at how agitated the former professor suddenly appeared. “I know that the Dark Lord created a Horcrux, and that you destroyed it at great personal risk. I assume this is how he survived fifteen years ago. What I do not understand is why you didn’t tell me!”

“I did not wish to risk your cover, or your life,” replied Dumbledore as he watched Snape continue to pace, an expression of curious concern on his face.

“A Horcrux is the most vile object a wizard can imagine! They are of such Dark Magic, attempting to destroy one alone is beyond dangerous “ it’s suicide.” Harry was somewhat shocked at how harshly Snape was speaking to the headmaster. Dumbledore, however, merely smiled.

“I am well aware of the danger, Severus,” he reminded Snape, holding up his blackened hand. “Though I certainly did not expect this,” he added softly, almost to himself.

“You should have told me,” Snape snapped at him. “I could have helped you, I could have “”

“ “ leaked my knowledge to Voldemort?” interrupted Dumbledore. He slowly pushed himself up to a sitting position and pierced Snape with a much clearer gaze than he had all night. “Do you have any idea of how dangerous this knowledge truly is? Voldemort guarded that Horcrux with layer after layer of protection. If he knew I was aware of its existence, let alone preparing to go after it, the abomination would have been virtually impossible to find and destroy.”

Snape stopped and stared at Dumbledore, his face even paler than usual. “You don’t trust me,” he whispered, he voice accusing.

Dumbledore shook his head. “I don’t trust Voldemort. I simply couldn’t risk him finding out anything. I know you have worn the mask of duplicity and guarded your mind successfully for many years now, Severus, but this is just too important.” Dumbledore took a deep breath, and he plunged on. “There is more than one Horcrux.”

Snape’s eyes went wide. “What? More than one - but that’s never been done before! Even the Dark Lord wouldn’t dare attempt such a thing.”

“I’m fairly certain he has,” replied Dumbledore, his face very grave. “In fact, I believe he made several Horcruxes, and hid them away to protect his immortality should one be destroyed.”

Snape swore as he sank down in the chair once again, his face white. “How do you know?”

“I believe the first one was the diary of Tom Riddle which Harry destroyed in the Chamber of Secrets three years ago.” Harry saw Snape’s eyes narrow at the mention of his name, and Dumbledore gave the professor a reproachful look. The headmaster then picked up a heavy gold ring from the table beside the bed. “I found this one in the ruins of Voldemort’s ancestral home. As I said, the protections surrounding the ring were formidable.” Harry shuddered with Dumbledore as he remembered the evil snakes surrounding the box with the ring hidden inside, and the horrible curse placed upon the valuable object.

“But more than two?” pressed Snape. “Certainly two Horcruxes would be more than enough to assure the Dark Lord’s continued life.”

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows. “Apparently not, considering they are now both destroyed. Were they the last, Voldemort would be mortal and we might win this war.” The headmaster sighed and passed a hand over his eyes. “I have been studying Tom Riddle for many years now, Severus. From what I have learned, it is very likely there are still several more Horcruxes which must be destroyed before we can even hope to end Voldemort’s reign of terror.”

Snape simply stared at Dumbledore, his eyes stunned, his mouth half open, and Harry felt the smallest trace of pity for the older man’s shock. He had felt much the same way when he had learned about the Horcruxes and the almost impossible task of finding and destroying each one. He looked over at Lupin and saw a similar expression on the older man’s haggard face. Harry sighed and turned back to the scene in front of him.

“How many more?” Snape finally asked.

Dumbledore shrugged inelegantly. “I do not know. I am still looking for them,” he replied. He did not elaborate, and Snape raised his thin eyebrows. “I’m sorry, Severus. I have my suspicions, but until I know for sure I’d prefer not to say too much.”

Dumbledore closed his eyes and rested for a moment, while Snape remained silent and still. Lupin leaned in closer to Harry. “Is it true? Is there more than one Horcrux?”

Harry nodded wearily. “There are several more.”

Lupin shook his head, his face pale with disbelief. “I can’t believe it, it’s monstrous. We all knew Voldemort had delved deep into Dark Magic, but Snape is right “ Horcruxes are an abomination. Did Dumbledore share anything else with you before he died?”

“We were trying to find the others, during my private lessons,” said Harry, watching the headmaster.

“Is that where you went the night the Death Eaters attacked the castle?” asked Lupin, also gazing at the silent bed.

“Yes,” Harry replied heavily, remembering the disastrous trip to the cave. “We went after a locket, only it wasn’t a real Horcrux, it was a fake. There are still four more to find and destroy, and Dumbledore was the only one who knew how.”

Lupin did not speak, and Harry finally turned to look at him. Lupin was studying Harry with a very serious expression. “What is it?” he asked warily.

“Dumbledore must have shared his knowledge with you for a reason, Harry,” said Lupin, frowning. “It’s up to you now.”

“But I can’t -” Harry stopped his protest when Snape spoke. He and Lupin turned their attention back to the scene in front of them.

“There has been another . . . complication,” Snape said to Dumbledore. The headmaster sat up again, his eyes open and bright once more.

“Tell me what has happened,” he demanded, looking very seriously into Snape’s eyes.

“Narcissa Malfoy came to see me,” said Snape. He stood and started pacing once more. “She begged me to intervene, to speak with the Dark Lord on behalf of her son.”

“Is Draco safe?” asked Dumbledore immediately.

Snape was silent for a long moment. “No. He has taken the Dark Mark.”

Harry’s eyes widened; he had suspected it all along, but hadn’t actually believed it until that moment. He had been enemies with Draco Malfoy since their initial meeting on the Hogwarts Express at the beginning of Harry’s first year. They had fought both on and off the Quidditch pitch, trading insults and curses, but always within the limited rivalry of castle life. That Draco had become a Death Eater signaled a much deadlier enemy; but with a shake of his head, Harry remembered that Draco had been killed after returning to Spinner’s End, and that his rival-turned-enemy was no longer a concern. He felt an odd pang of regret about it all, along with a whisper of doubt that continued to puzzle him.

“Ahh,” Dumbledore sighed, shaking his head. “I am sorry for that. He is not one of them, no matter what he thinks he may be.”

Snape frowned at Dumbledore’s enigmatic statement. “He has also been given an assignment,” he continued, watching the headmaster closely. Harry felt his breath catch in his throat, for he knew what Draco had been assigned to do. It was almost as if Dumbledore sensed it as well, because he was quiet for several moments before he finally spoke again.

“And what has Draco been told to do for Lord Voldemort?”

Snape took a deep breath and stopped pacing. “Kill you.”

Dumbledore closed his eyes. “Draco, what have you done?” he whispered softly to himself. After another long pause he opened his eyes and met Snape’s gaze. “There are ways around it, of course,” he told Snape.

“I don’t believe there is, this time,” replied Snape, sinking into the chair he had just left. “I’ve taken an Unbreakable Vow.”

Harry heard Lupin suck in a breath; he hadn’t told the older man about the vow that had forced Snape’s hand on the Astronomy tower. In fact, he had almost forgotten. Harry knew that breaking an Unbreakable Vow meant death, but in his mind Snape should have died rather than betray and murder the headmaster who had protected them all. He couldn’t imagine any reason for Snape to hold his vow to Narcissa higher than his loyalty to Dumbledore.

“What have you promised?” questioned Dumbledore, sitting up straighter.

Snape began to tell the headmaster about the vow that Narcissa Malfoy had asked of him, and how Bellatrix Lestrange had bound his words with fire. Dumbledore listened intently, and asked very specific questions about what had happened at Spinner’s End.

“Tell me the final promise again,” he said, his face unreadable.

Snape’s eyes closed briefly, and a look of dark despair passed quickly across his face before he opened them again. “Narcissa asked that should Draco be unable to perform the task assigned to him, I perform it in his stead.”

Dumbledore pierced him with his blue eyes. “So if Draco is unable to kill me “ and he certainly won’t be able to do such a thing “ then you will have to do it for him.” Snape inclined his head, and Dumbledore sighed as he nodded slowly. “That is quite a complication indeed.”

“It’s unthinkable!” Snape exclaimed roughly, jumping up and once more pacing the room. “I would rather die myself than be forced to do such a thing.”

“And yet,” said Dumbledore softly, watching Snape with sad eyes, “you have vowed to protect Draco. Your vow is to Narcissa, not to me. If you do not fulfill your promise, not only will you die, but they will die with you. Voldemort will kill them.”

Snape stopped and stared. “I can’t kill you to save them.”

“You can and you will,” replied Dumbledore, and his tone indicated there was no argument to be made, though Snape opened his mouth to retort. The headmaster held up his good hand. “No, Severus. What’s done is done. If by my death I can protect three people, I will be happy to surrender up my life when the time comes.”

Harry was stunned, and saw that Lupin was shocked as well. They continued to watch the confrontation with wide eyes, unable to believe that Dumbledore had agreed to such a horrible end.

“I won’t do it,” Snape snapped. “Your life is far more important than mine, or any Malfoy for that matter.” He said the last with a contempt that surprised Harry.

“My life is no more or less important than any other right now, except perhaps Harry.” Snape snorted at the mention of Harry’s name, and Dumbledore raised his eyebrow at the former potions master. “You know the prophecy, Severus. Everything we do matters little next to the words of fate. Harry, and Harry alone, will vanquish Voldemort. It is up to us to help and guide him until such time as he must meet his destiny.”

“And how will your death help Potter?” demanded Snape. “The boy doesn’t trust me, you are the only one he looks to for help. If you sacrifice yourself, you leave him vulnerable and alone.”

Harry was mesmerized, because he indeed felt vulnerable and alone. He couldn’t believe Snape was speaking almost as if he were concerned about Harry.

“He will be ready,” said Dumbledore firmly. “And he has others who will stand by his side when he needs them.”

“Weasley and Granger?” asked Snape, his voice heavy with skepticism. “A screw-up and a know-it-all? How could they possibly help him with this?” As Snape gestured toward the ring with an expression of doubt, Harry felt the anger return with Snape’s crude insults to his friends. He sensed Lupin’s hand on his shoulder, and turned to find the Order member smiling sadly.

“He’s wrong, of course,” said Lupin quietly. “He doesn’t understand the power of friendship. We’re all here for you.”

Harry nodded gratefully and returned his attention to the terrible conversation in front of him.

“Harry’s friends are as necessary to his well-being as the food he eats or the air he breathes,” Dumbledore was saying softly. Harry felt his heart skip a beat because it was true, though he had never thought of it in such a way. “I believe they will be invaluable to him in his quest to destroy Voldemort. There are others he may turn to as well “ Remus Lupin, and the Weasley family. In fact the entire Order stands ready to protect and serve him.” Harry was humbled by Dumbledore’s words.

“Yes, but it is you whom the Dark Lord truly fears,” argued Snape. “You and only you have the knowledge and power to defeat him, whether Potter is your instrument or not.”

“I will share my knowledge with Harry,” answered Dumbledore, staring pensively at the window. “He has the power already, though he doubts himself. He will be ready, should the time come when you must fulfill your vow.”

“It’s outrageous!” exploded Snape, throwing his hands up. “I will not be your murderer, whether you and Potter are prepared or not.” He stopped and narrowed his eyes. “What about the Draught of Living Death? We could fake your death, like so many others.”

“It would never work, Severus,” said Dumbledore. “You can’t trick an Unbreakable Vow. When the time comes and you are forced to kill me “ and it will, as I said “ you must do so, or you will be killed yourself.”

“Then I would rather die,” said Snape simply, and Harry heard a desperation in his voice that he had never heard before.

“You can’t,” said Dumbledore decisively. “I won’t have you and Draco die to protect me. I am old, and expendable. Draco must live, to right his wrongs. And you must live, to continue your cover.” Snape blanched, and Dumbledore shook his head firmly. “I’m sorry, but I need you to stay close to Voldemort, so that when the time comes Harry can count on your support.”

“I told you he doesn’t trust me,” said Snape in disgust. “If I’m forced to kill you, he’ll probably come after me instead with his wand held joyfully high.”

Dumbledore actually smiled. “He might eventually, but I still need you in place when it’s time to reveal your true allegiance and do what’s right.”

“Murder isn’t right,” Snape insisted.

“No, it’s not,” agreed Dumbledore. “But it is necessary. Trust me, Severus. It will work out in the end. I have faith in you, and in Harry.”

Snape was silent for a long time, obviously searching for more ways to argue his way out of the dreadful obligation both the Unbreakable Vow and the headmaster had placed him under. “If I kill you, it’s entirely possible the Dark Lord will kill Draco and his family anyway, for failing,” he finally said.

“Then you know what to do,” replied Dumbledore matter-of-factly. “Aberforth can help you. Have the potion mixed and ready should it become necessary to use it.”

Harry frowned; what potion was Dumbledore referring to? Lupin seemed to understand, for he was nodding to himself. Before Harry could ask him the significance of Dumbledore’s mysterious remark, Snape walked right through him to stand at the window. He leaned on the stone sill, his shoulders hunched and his face in his hands. Once more Harry felt the stirrings of pity for Snape; the spy had made a terrible vow, and Dumbledore would force Snape to keep it, even when it involved the headmaster’s own murder. Harry could not imagine the heart-wrenching obligation that appeared to be ripping Snape in two at that moment.

“I can’t do it,” Snape whispered desperately, his pale face contorted in pain. “Don’t make me.”

“I’m sorry,” said Dumbledore softly. “I must. I will not require a second Unbreakable Vow, but I would like your world that when the time comes, you will fulfill your promise to the Malfoys. I’m trusting you, Severus, as I have before. You must trust me.”

Snape’s black eyes were filled with the agony of giving his word to the one man who trusted him above all others, the man he was giving his word to kill should it become necessary. With a reluctance that was palpable, the potions master nodded stiffly before turning away. Dumbledore sighed with weary resignation.

“There is one other thing, Severus. I need your memory of tonight’s first conversation.” Snape whipped around, his eyes wide. “I cannot let even a hint of my knowledge of the Horcruxes get back to Voldemort. If you don’t know, you won’t have to protect the secret. You have enough to worry about as it is. I assume Voldemort is not to know of your vow to Narcissa Malfoy?” When Snape nodded mutely, Dumbledore continued. “Then give me the memory of our discussion. I will leave it for you should anything happen to me, and you will be able to help Harry.”

Harry was shocked that Dumbledore was asking Snape to deliberately forget about the Horcruxes. He was even was even more surprised when the potions master agreed without argument. “As you wish,” Snape replied unemotionally, moving back toward the bed.

Dumbledore took his wand from the bedside table and conjured a tiny glass vial which he held out to Snape. Snape stared at it with a look of revulsion, then grabbed it from the headmaster’s hands. He drew his own wand from his robes and raised it roughly to his head. He withdrew a silver strand of thought from his temple and placed it into the glass vial, all the while staring hard into the headmaster’s face. Dumbledore did not flinch, as Snape handed him the glass vial and turned away, returning to the window, where he stood stiff-backed and proud.

“Thank you, Severus,” murmured Dumbledore, leaning back against the pillows once more.

“For what?” asked Snape, turning around with his eyebrows raised. His eyes, however, were glittering specks of black ice.

“For trusting me,” replied the headmaster, and his face was almost unrecognizable with sadness. With those final words the scene faded out, and Harry was left standing alone with Lupin, too overwhelmed to speak. When the memory did not continue, Harry raised his wand, took Lupin’s arm, and with a silent nod, he cried, “Ortusio!”

He had now watched all three of the memories that Dumbledore had left him. While many of his questions had been answered, some still remained, and new ones were raised. He knew more about the complicated relationship between the headmaster and the spy who had killed him, though he did not understood it all. He wasn’t sure it mattered: in the end, there were still four more Horcruxes to destroy, and Dumbledore was still dead.

As Harry landed awkwardly on the stone floor of what was now Headmistress’s McGonagall’s office, Lupin helped him to stand, a look of compassion in his eyes. Dumbledore was gone, but as Harry took Lupin’s hand he realized he was not alone. Lupin now knew the terrifying secret of Voldemort’s immortality and could help in the search for the Horcruxes. Ron and Hermione would always support him, even if he asked them not to. The Weasleys and the Order could aide him when he needed them as well. The task Harry faced was grim, but he could face it knowing so many others stood with him, just as Dumbledore had said.

One man would not be there, a man Harry had never thought to trust in his life, a man he suddenly wished he could speak with one last time: Severus Snape. Harry shook his head as he pondered Dumbledore’s strange words to Snape in the Pensieve; but Snape was dead, and could not help him as the headmaster had wished. Harry only hoped he would not need the spy’s help when the time came to face Voldemort one last time.

* * *

A/N: One last chapter, unless it gets much longer than this! Thanks for your support!