Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Reality by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry awoke slowly, disorientation replacing the dark dreams which had plagued him all night. He was stiff, cold, and still desperately tired. He was also aware of piercing sunlight on his eyelids, and a light breeze in his hair; he realized with hazy surprise that he was not in his bed in the boys’ dormitory.

Harry felt someone shaking him, and grunted. The shaking continued, and Harry was forced to open his eyes. The first thing he saw was the blurry face of Ron Weasley, leaning over and looking at him with great concern.

“Wasgoinon?” Harry mumbled, trying to get his bearings. He groped for his glasses, sliding them on as he gingerly sat up. Glancing around, he saw that he had fallen asleep on the Astronomy Tower. The locket Fawkes had given him earlier that morning was clenched tightly in his hand.

“Harry, are you okay?” asked Ron, helping him to stand. Harry groaned again as he stretched tired and sore muscles. He couldn’t believe he had fallen asleep outside, and wondered how long he had been there.

“Yeah, I’m all right. What time is it? How long have I been up here?” Ron was still eyeing him strangely. “I’m okay, really. What’s going on?”

“It’s past lunch, Harry,” said Ron, his voice concerned. “We figured you were still asleep when you didn’t show up for breakfast, but when you didn’t come to lunch Hermione sent us to find you. We were getting worried.”

Harry noticed that Ron looked tired and dirty as well. “Did you go back to the dormitory last night?” he asked his friend. Ron shook his head.

“No, I fell asleep in the hospital wing, we all did. We just . . . well, you know.” He shrugged, and looked down.

“How’s Bill?” asked Harry quietly. He could have kicked himself for not asking sooner.

“He’s okay,” answered Ron, his face still glum. “He woke up this morning and complained about his hair, so we’re hoping that’s a good sign. But mostly he’s been sleeping.”

“I’m so sorry,” said Harry. He felt terrible for Ron’s family.

“Yeah, well, he’s alive, isn’t he?” said Ron. “That’s what matters. And Mum’s had a chance to bond with Fleur. I think she’s finally okay with them getting married now.”

“That’s great,” replied Harry, wondering how Bill’s injury had brought the two women closer together. “How’s Ginny?”

Ron shrugged again. “She’s upset, like all of us. And she’s dead worried about you. You should go see her, let everyone know you’re okay.”

Harry nodded and started toward the door. “Right. Let’s go, I’m starving.”

Ron held him back for a moment. “Lunch is over, but I brought you some food.” He held out some biscuits and fruit and a bottle of pumpkin juice. “It’s not much, but it’s something.”

Harry grabbed the biscuits and stuffed them in his mouth. “Thanks,” he said, taking a sip of pumpkin juice before starting in on an apple. He was ravenous.

“You’re welcome.” Ron seemed hesitant about something, and Harry slowed down to look at him.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. “Did something happen? Is someone hurt?” Harry felt his heart begin to race in alarm, and wondered how much more stress his body could take.

“Not exactly,” said Ron, taking something out of his robes. “There was an article in the Daily Prophet about last night. It’s pretty major, you might want to sit down again.” He handed Harry the paper and waited anxiously as Harry set down his belated lunch and began to read.



Murder at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Teacher, student killed in separate battle

A fierce battle took place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry last night. Sources report that a large group of Death Eaters managed to make their way into the castle in spite of the complex series of charms and spells protecting the property.

Already on high alert, staff members were informed immediately about the incursion and were able to respond appropriately. The ensuing battle involved members of the Order of the Phoenix, as well as numerous students. There were several injuries, and one Death Eater was killed. All other enemy combatants managed to escape.

In a shocking statement this morning, Minerva McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress, confirmed that the headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, was killed upon his return to the school. Why the headmaster left Hogwarts last night remains unknown. He was reportedly in the company of sixth-year student Harry Potter, also known as the Chosen One. The headmaster was struck by a Killing Curse on the Astronomy Tower, cast by one of the unknown Death Eaters.

“Hogwarts has lost its champion,” said McGonagall in a letter delivered by owl to the paper this morning. “We have lost our leader, our mentor, our protector, our friend. It will be a long time before the school recovers from this devastating loss.”

Albus Dumbledore was one of Hogwarts most successful and powerful headmasters. He turned down the position of Minister for Magic several times, preferring instead to tutor the next generation of magic and pass on his wisdom. He was awarded the Order of Merlin, First Class, and served as Supreme Mugwump on the International Confederation of Wizards, as well as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. He was also one of the first wizards to support Harry Potter when the Hogwarts student claimed that You-Know-Who had returned two years ago.

“He saved my life, when I had nowhere to go,” sobbed Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys at Hogwarts. “He stood up for the little guy, believed in everyone. I don’t know what will happen to Hogwarts without him.”

Albus Dumbledore is survived by his brother, Aberforth Dumbledore of Hogsmeade. Aberforth could not be reached for comment. Deputy Headmistress McGonagall said that he was devastated by the loss of his brother and wished to mourn in private.

Following the battle at the school, a second battle was reported in Spinner’s End at the home of one of Hogwart’s professors, Severus Snape. Professor Snape had taken over the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher this past year. He was cleared of all charges of being a Death Eater fourteen years ago, largely on the testimony of Albus Dumbledore.

But confidential sources tell us that it was Severus Snape who cast the deadly Killing Curse which ended the life of the Hogwarts headmaster. It has further been revealed that Snape then left the castle with Draco Malfoy, a sixth-year student, and allegedly the one responsible for allowing the Death Eaters into the castle.

Both were found dead at Spinner’s End, along with Narcissa Malfoy, wife of Lucius Malfoy, currently held in Azkaban prison for last year’s break in at the Ministry of Magic.

Ministry officials at the scene said it appeared as if Narcissa Malfoy was struck by the Killing Curse. Preliminary reports indicate Severus Snape died of injuries incurred during battle, including a particularly brutal Slashing Curse.

The death of Draco Malfoy remains more mysterious. Students at the castle recall seeing the Slytherin student later in the evening with Harry Potter, and even describe a vicious fight between the two on the grounds. But Deputy Headmistress McGonagall reported that while Draco Malfoy did indeed return to Hogwarts, he left the castle intending to return to Spinner’s End.

“We couldn’t stop him, he wanted to go back to his poor mother,” she stated. “And now he’s dead too. No matter what he did, he was a young man and a student at Hogwarts, and did not deserve to be killed.”

Harry Potter could not be reached for comment. Deputy Headmistress asked that the students’ privacy be respected during this trying time. “Harry Potter was at Hogwarts the entire night and had nothing to do with the death of Draco Malfoy,” she further stated.

But this paper questions what The Chosen One has to do with the death of Draco Malfoy. Harry Potter’s loyalty to Albus Dumbledore is well documented, and given his wont for heroics in the past, it would certainly be within reason to wonder if he felt the need to avenge the headmaster’s death. It was also common knowledge that Potter and Malfoy were enemies both on and off the Quidditch pitch, routinely engaging in verbal sparring, duels, and fistfights.

“He hated Draco,” said Pansy Parkinson, a sixth-year Slytherin student at Hogwarts. “They were always fighting. Just last month Harry Potter scarred Draco with a horrible curse using Dark Magic. I’m sure he had something to do with Draco’s death. He probably killed him and made it look like someone else had done it.”

While the Ministry of Magic refuses to name Harry Potter as a suspect, inside sources confirmed that he will be questioned in regards to events at the castle. Meanwhile, the Department for Magical Law Enforcement is investigating the deaths at Spinner’s End as an act of the Death Eaters, possibly the same who attacked Hogwarts.

“We are doing everything in our power to catch the murderers responsible, and ensure the safety of wizarding citizens everywhere,” said a spokeswizard for the department. “Anyone with any information should contact us immediately as we continue our investigation into these appalling acts.”

Whether the Chosen One speaks out about his role in the night’s tragic events remains to be seen.




Harry set down the paper as he took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. A bitter laugh escaped his lips. When he put his glasses back on he saw Ron looking at him uneasily.

“I didn’t kill him,” Harry said immediately.

“I didn’t think you did!” Ron exclaimed defensively. “But that’s a pretty serious charge - accusing you of killing Malfoy. How did Parkinson come up with that?”

Harry was silent. He didn’t believe for a second that Pansy Parkinson was clever enough to frame him without outside help. Someone else must have suggested Harry as a suspect. It could be someone with a grudge against him, someone who wouldn’t mind seeing Harry suffer the negative publicity. It could have been someone in the Ministry itself, given his rocky relationship with the government over the years.

“Scrimgeour,” he muttered, thinking wildly. Scrimgeour certainly could have planted the idea of Harry’s involvement in the night’s events; he had no love for Harry after their meeting at Christmas. But what would the Minister for Magic gain from casting doubt on Snape’s loyalty? And why would he even suspect the former potions master of murdering Dumbledore, unless someone suggested it to him?

Ron’s eyes widened. “The Minister for Magic? You think Scrimgeour is trying to frame you? What for?”

“I threw his words back at him at Christmas, remember?” replied Harry, trying to force his fuzzy brain to piece things together. “He wanted me to support the Ministry in its fight against Voldemort, and I told him off. Maybe he’s still mad, and wants to make me look bad, just like they did last year.”

Ron shuddered at the name, then looked skeptical. “Why should he even care? I know you’re the Chosen One and all that, but would the Minister for Magic really try to frame you for murder just because you refused to play poster boy for the Ministry?”

Harry shook his head, frustrated. “I don’t know. He might want something from me. He wanted me to help him before, maybe this is a new ploy to get my glowing recommendation of the Ministry’s policies.”

“I don’t know, Harry,” said Ron, still skeptical. “It’s a stretch, even for you.”

Harry raised his eyebrows. “Not really. Remember what the Daily Prophet said about me last year, when they refused to believe that Voldemort had returned? Now they get to have another go, except this time I’m not nuts, I’m a murderer. What I can’t figure out is who told them about Snape.”

Ron’s eyes widened as he flinched. “So it’s true then?” he asked in disbelief. “Hermione said it was, but it seemed too horrible to be true.”

“Yeah, it’s true,” said Harry bitterly. Ron swore, calling their former professor a very unflattering name, and Harry nodded in agreement.

“I saw Snape kill Dumbledore,” he continued, “but I don’t think anyone else did. I can’t figure out how Scrimgeour would even begin to suspect Snape, or why he would bother to accuse him after he’s dead.” Supposedly dead, Harry added in his mind. A little nagging voice in the back of his brain didn’t quite believe the news about Snape’s death yet.

“Hermione says Scrimgeour likely wants to disrupt the Order, make them question themselves in the wake of Dumbledore’s death.” Ron shrugged. “She’s probably right, she usually is about those things.”

“She usually is,” he agreed, handing the paper back to Ron. “It makes sense. Scrimgeour didn’t like Dumbledore, so he probably doesn’t like the Order much either. They’re threats to his control. Accusing Snape of murder would be the perfect way of destroying the Order’s trust and credibility and get rid of the threat.”

Harry was silent as he thought about how the paper’s accusation against Snape would affect the Order. He wondered if he should tell them the truth, or if he should wait until he watched the memories and understood what had happened that horrible night.

“And the locket?” asked Ron, interrupting his thoughts. “Hermione said it was fake.”

Harry nodded wearily. “It is. I have no idea how it happened, though. It was hard enough for Dumbledore to retrieve the locket. I can’t imagine many other wizards strong enough to do what he did.” He held out the locket, and handed it to Ron. Ron examined it curiously as Harry told him about the trip to the cave.

“Any idea who R.A.B. is?” Ron finally asked, reading the mysterious note inside.

“No,” replied Harry, and shrugged unenthusiastically. He hadn’t thought about who might have switched the lockets in the cave, and found that after all that had happened, after all he had been through, he did not really care who the mysterious R.A.B. might be. “Does it matter?”

Ron raised his eyebrows in surprise as he handed the necklace back. “Of course it matters! Harry, you have to find the real locket. You have to destroy the actual Horcrux. You’re the only who can now.”

Hermione had said the same thing to him earlier on the tower. Hearing it again from Ron forced Harry to confront the reality of the situation: if he was going to vanquish Voldemort, he would have to destroy the Horcruxes the Dark Lord had scattered to preserve his soul. Two had been destroyed already, but there were still four left, including the real locket. Yet Harry had no idea where to begin searching for the locket, or the other three Horcruxes. Dumbledore himself had spent years gathering information before sharing his theories with Harry over the course of the previous year.

“I don’t even know where to start,” muttered Harry. “How am I supposed to find one, let alone four?” It seemed hopeless, that he was left to accomplish such a massive task on his own.

Ron clapped Harry on the arm and gave him a reassuring smile. “That’s what you’ve got us for. Or at least Hermione: she’s already in the library. She said she was going up there to go look for you, although I don’t know what she thought you’d be doing in the library at a time like this. But you know Hermione: she’s probably looking up R.A.B. right now.”

Harry grinned, glad to have something normal to smile about after the horrible events of the night and the grim turn events had taken with the article in the Daily Prophet “Leave it to Hermione to run to the library at the first sign of trouble. Maybe she’s found something. Come on, let’s go find her.”

Harry felt a renewed sense of purpose as he started for the stairway. When he came to the steps leading down from the tower, Harry stopped and turned around. He let his gaze sweep one last time over the place where Professor Dumbledore had died. Taking a deep breath, he nodded to himself. “Good-bye, Professor,” he whispered. “We won’t let you down.” Turning his back on the Tower, Harry started down the stairs, ready to face whatever the coming days would bring, knowing Ron and Hermione would be by his side.


* * *

A/N: That would make a lovely ending. . . but don’t worry, there is more to come! However, this chapter presented itself rather unexpectedly and needs to be worked into the story a bit more now. I am also rearranging the next few chapters. I’ve been trying very hard to update every other week or so, but Chapter Eight may need a little extra time “ especially seeing as I have to send in my laptop for repairs. Apparently I’ve just worked it too hard this summer and it likes to randomly quit on me, too tired to continue. But don’t fret “ I’ve started the next bits and will update as soon as everything sorts itself out. Then you will finally get a glimpse at those memories Harry received. You may even find out what happened to Snape and Draco. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story - thank you for reading!