Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Beech Tree by KASK

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: It's Jo's parchment; I'm just borrowing the quill.

Thanks to my super Beta: lily_evans34

I hope you all like it!
“Evans, come here,” James Potter called to a pretty girl with thick, dark red hair. She was lying on her stomach in the shade of a large beech tree. It was a beautiful April day; the sun was shining in the bright blue sky next to white, cotton-ball clouds. The grass was a vibrant, bright green “ the same color as the girl’s eyes. She was idly reading a thick book, her eyes straying to the boy, who was examining the beech tree with a loose smile. She stifled a laugh at the look of concentration on his face.





“What is it? I’m studying,” Lily Evans replied, though she hardly comprehended the words on the page. She had just read the same sentence nine times, yet hadn’t the slightest idea as to what it said.





“I want to show you something,” James said playfully, knowing very well he had won. Lily smiled, heaving her book shut. “And who needs studying, anyway?” She walked over to him, now scowling.





“Some of us, Potter. Obviously not you though, since you get O’s on everything without opening a book,” she said coldly. He couldn’t help but think of how pretty she was when she was angry.





“Sorry, Evans, I wasn’t aware that you and studying became an item. And I’m usually pretty good with gossip. Or is it your book? I’m sure the snogs are great,” James retorted, not coldly though; but with a smirk. The corners of her mouth twitched as if she was about to smile. And she did.





James was tall and thin with messy black hair, and bright hazel eyes sheltered behind glasses. His face always sported a lopsided grin, and his eyes a glint of mischief. He beamed at her, as she smiled. It was hard not to smile when he was around.





“What do you want to show me?” Lily asked, as he put an arm around her and pulled her close to him. He pointed vaguely at the tree in front of him.





“But it’s not going anywhere,” he added, turning to her.





***






“Shouldn’t you be studying?” Harry asked, grinning as a pretty girl with long red hair kissed his neck.





“I should be,” said the red-haired girl, Ginny Weasley, with a shifty grin. “But I can’t say I want to. Who needs studying anyways?”





“Sometimes I think you’re too much like Fred and George,” Harry said easily, shaking his head.





“But would you want me any other way?” Ginny asked innocently. Harry looked into her brown eyes for a while, thinking.





“No,” Harry answered after a few moments. Ginny angrily got to her feet, even though Harry thought his answer to be satisfactory. She flung her red hair over her shoulder. “What?” Harry asked, genuinely clueless. Ginny glared at him.





“Why did it take you so long to answer?” Ginny demanded. She walked to the other side of the tree, directly in front of it, and crossed her arms. Harry sighed, standing and coming up behind her.





“Ginny,” he said. She didn’t answer. “Please look at me.” Reluctantly, Ginny turned around. Harry smiled wearily. She was cute when she was angry. “It took me a bit to answer, because I was thinking. I was thinking about what it would be like if you weren’t the way you are.” Ginny furrowed her brow. “And,” Harry continued, “I-I love you. I really do. I know it’s early to say this, and it may even be dangerous, because the reality is, being with me is dangerous. But you never faltered, not for a second. I hope you never change. I don’t know what I would do if you did. I always want you the way you are right now, brave and fearless.” Ginny’s face had abandoned its hard demeanor. She was looking into his emerald eyes, a slight smile on her lips.





“Harry,” she said. “The risk is worth it.” She looked at him. “You’re worth it.”





***






Lily looked at the tree. “When did you do this?” she asked, looking fondly at James. Her emerald eyes were dancing, alight because of the boy.





“First year,” James answered. The date confirmed it.





“How did you know?”





James just smiled.





“I always knew. I just did. Some things a person just knows, I suppose.”





“Thank you,” Lily said. Her eyes were tender, her voice barely more than a whisper. She pulled out her own wand.





***






“What is this?” Ginny asked, glancing at the tree, and breaking away from Harry’s embrace. She walked closer to the old beech tree. Harry followed.





“Looks like an old carving,” Harry pondered, almost to himself, examining the tree. His heart stopped.





Etched in the tree was ‘J.P. loves L.E.’. It had clearly been carved using a knife or something of the sort. Underneath it was another indentation, in the form of words in the tree. This one was much neater; this person had used a wand. It read ‘I love you too, James.’ The date was nearly the same, only seven years later.





Harry gasped. “What is it?” Ginny asked, turning her head towards him, alarmed. He stared at the tree for a few moments before replying.





“I think my parents wrote these “ Lily Evans and James Potter.”





***






“James,” Lily said. A purple dusk had fallen over the grounds of Hogwarts. The air was slightly chillier. Two figures walked up to the castle. James’ arm was around Lily, pulling her towards him.





“Hmmm?” James answered. He had never been happier.





“It’s time I say this,” Lily started definitely with a small smile and a gulp of air. “I know I hated it when you messed your hair and showed off your stupid Quidditch skills on your broom, or with the Snitch, and acted like the world revolved around you, asking me out every five seconds, but,” she took another breath of air, “I want you to know, I wouldn’t have you any other way. I love you.” James had waited his whole life to hear those words from Lily Evans. Engraving them on a tree was one thing, but hearing them roll off her tongue was another.





“It’s about time you said it,” James teased. Lily sighed tiredly.





“Not all of us are as sure as you, James,” Lily said with a feeble smile. James stopped walking. He grabbed her wrist and spun her around to face him.





His hazel eyes bore into hers. “Lily, I love you,” he said firmly. She hugged him closely. “And now Hogwarts will know it until the end of time,” he whispered into her hair. Lily gave a nod and a smile, looking him in the eyes. It was a moment in time where James was the only other person in the world to Lily, and James could only see her. There was no one else.





“I love you too.”





***






“They must have really been in love,” Ginny mused. Harry looked at her.





“Yeah, you’re right,” Harry answered. He couldn’t take his eyes off Ginny. “But it took my mum a bit to realize it.”





“Kind of like us,” Ginny said thoughtfully. Their eyes were locked on each other; the only two people in the world, as far as either cared. Harry tilted his head curiously, inquiring. “I liked you since first setting eyes on you at the train station. I guess for the wrong reasons though.” She gave a smile of remembrance. “But first year, I liked you for Harry, not the Boy-Who-Lived.” There was no Lord Voldemort, Draco Malfoy or Severus Snape in Harry’s mind, there were no Horcruxes, only Ginny Weasley.





“I guess we are like them,” Harry said. She gave a small smile and pulled out her wand. Harry followed suit.





***






“Now it’ll be there forever.” Harry smiled lovingly at Ginny as they walked back to the castle.





“I love you,” Ginny whispered, leaning her head on his shoulder. He could feel her silky hair on his cheek.





“I love you too, Gin.”





G.W. loves H.P.


I love you too, Ginny.






***






And as all around those people who etched their love into the beech tree’s bark change, forever in the whispering trees lays a reminder for all those who chose to remember. The swaying branches, as they lose leaves and blossom new ones, hold memories of what was once there. They hold tales of magic; magic that is not limited to any one person, but is the common factor between all. Some love lasted and some faded away. Some seemed to be lost forever, but could never be truly lost. The old beech tree holds it all. It is always there, the voices of generations, echoing in the soft breeze for those in need of hope, a reminder, or the courage to love someone, and let them know it.