Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Tangled in a Triangle by elle_EVANS

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter One: Stirring

Professor Slughorn was ambling around the desks checking on his students and how their potions were coming around. Since the Gryffindors had double potions with Slytherin, Slughorn had decided to give them an extra complicated and long potion to brew.

The silence in the room was disturbed by shuffling feet and bubbling cauldrons. The light that came through the window was being filtered by the large frayed shade and the only decent light source came from the opened door. It was nearing winter and the holidays. The sky was a bleak grey in the morning and usually a dull purple at night. The school year, so far, seem to pass the seventh years like a quiet breeze.

Lily Evans sat in the front corner of the room with her fiery hair tied into a bun and sleeves pulled up to her elbows. She was looking over the directions and gently stirring the cauldron that has now turned a dark purple shade. Her green emerald eyes didn’t show her determination or concentration, but her composed nature. Her black robe sat on her shoulders on top of the maroon and gold uniform worn by all Gryffindors and her green bag laid at her feet packed with many books checked out from the library.

Two desks behind her, she was stirring one of the Marauder’s mind, unconsciously, of course. His hair was a mess and covered his shining hazel eyes that sat behind circled frames. He liked her since, forever, it seems, although, Padfoot would have beg to differ. It’s more like five years; since their second year at Hogwarts. He never passed up a chance to ask her out and never lost hope every time she said no. They were complete opposites. It was just something about her. Not to mention the chase of not having her that made the game of love ever more fun. He knew that some day, she would say yes to a date or even fall in love with him, for that matter.

Slughorn came around the Gryffindors’ side and glanced into James’s cauldron. He raised a brow at the odd coloring of bright orange and took a whiff of the pungent odor. He glanced up at his student and notice that James wasn’t even looking at what he was mixing let alone, the big man beside him. He gave a soft cough, trying to capture the young man’s attention. It didn’t work.

Sirius noticing this, elbowed his mate in the ribs. James turned to look at him, rubbing his chest and saw the flicker (or reflection) in Sirius’s eyes. He turned once more to face his potions professor. The tall man wore a black robe over a maroon vest and cream shirt. His face was expressing impatience and seriousness. Although, it was a intimidating facade to see, James sensed a light humor and amusement surrounding his professor. James gave him a timid half-smile.

“Mr. Potter, you’ve been slacking off all week now. I see you’re in love, boy, but leave it in the halls,” said Slughorn faintly. “You are a good lad, I wouldn’t want you to fail this course. Maybe you want some help? I can ask Severus to stroll on by.” He gave a little wink and moved on to Sirius’s cauldron. Sirius nudged James slightly, stifling a laugh. Mirth twinkled in his dark brown eyes.

“Ah, that would be a fine brew, Mr. Black, if we indeed were making a Grindylow Love Potion,” Slughorn teased. “Adding the wrong ingredients will get you nowhere. Even if it is the same color. Although, I will admit, it was a nice try.” Hands folded behind his back, he walked up to the next desks in front of them.

James chucked at this last comment and shoved Sirius playfully who gave his mate a sidelong glance and lopsided grin. James’s hazel eyes gazed around until landing on the back of the red head. Slughorn was praising her skills and comparing her to Severus.

“You hear that, mate? Snevellus! She’s way better than that bloody toad!” James commented. He glanced down and decided he couldn’t do anything with his potion; starting over was out of the question, considering he had only ten minutes to the bell. He poured the warm liquid into a vial and stopper it. James started cleaning his area and poured the orange liquid down the drain beneath his feet.

“Yeah, he’s a really nasty shoe horn,” Sirius replied, not paying so much attention to his friend’s comment, but looking sadly at his cauldron. He decided to stopper it in a vial. He didn’t catch the amused, yet puzzled face beside him. He too cleaned his work area, but slowler than usual. Sirius couldn't believe Slughorn figured him out. Although, he admitted, the smell wasn't quite right; it smelled a mix between a rotten banana and pixie dung. Not that he ever smelled either...

It was time for lunch as the bell rang. All the students piled out of the classrooms and headed to the Great Hall or to their common rooms. The Marauders walked behind Lily and her friend Alice; they whispered quietly among themselves until Sirius hollered an insult.

“Oi Snevel-Weavel! Don’t move or else your trouser just might slip!” Everyone stopped to look around for the speaker. Once they saw it was Sirius, they gave a knowing smile. They waited to see what would happen to the greasy-head boy who seemed to be the only one moving about. “That was a very bad choice! You know if you did stop, I would have been so kind this let it go. Oh well! More fun for me.” A blue light shot from the handsome, dark student’s wand.

A loud crack could be heard as it echoed in the silent corridors. Suddenly, laughter and hoots exploded among the students. Severus’s trousers laid at his ankles, his black robe covered his head, and his books on the ground. Another shot of light illuminated from Sirius’s wand and Severus was wearing a pink polka dot knickers and his books started levitating to whack him on the bum.

The only person that wasn’t laughing was the slim, auburn hair girl. She had turned around to face the marauders leaving Alice to giggle to herself with a horrendous expression. Lily first glanced at James with a disgusted veneer and wrinkled nose, then toward Sirius.

Remus nudge Sirius who was laughing like a drunken madman. He wiped at his eyes where tears glistened on his redden cheeks. As if consciously, everyone dispersed at once including Alice, everyone except the Marauders.

“What? It’s funny, Evans! Get a sense of humor.”

Lily turned back to where Severus was standing. He was still standing there, in an awkward position, trying to get the robe off his head. She muttered an incantation and he was back to normal apart from his red face. He grabbed all his books from the ground and ran. Lily turned back to the boys.

“Forgive me for not being a disgusting twit! Is it only funny because it happens to Snape? You should all grow up! This is a school, not a playground! You shouldn’t be using your magic lightly! And you,” she shouted in a low voice and pointed at James. “You should know better. You could have stopped him at least. I’m taking ten points from Gryffindor.”

All the boys looked shocked, that is, excluding Remus. He seemed quite bemused, laughter twinkled in his dark grey eyes; although he was disappointed at the Head Girl taking points away from their house. He could never disagree with Lily because she was always right and stubborn. If she is somewhat wrong, she’ll always get you on her side anyways. She’s just that good. Remus also liked her self-sufficiency and her temper with the boys. It may not be quite amusing to others meaning the rest of the crew, but it was to him.

Sirius snapped out of his disbelief as the girl turned away and called after her. “Lily, wait! I’m sorry. Don’t take it out on the house. Oh, bloody hell!" He slapped his forehead and mumbled about girls and their mood swings. It was, forunately, unaudible to the girl ahead of him, but a close range that made James flush with annoyance. "C'mon!"

“Too late. This is the only way you will learn.” She didn’t turn back. Lily was going to the Great Hall to eat and talk. She hated herself for taking points away from her own house, but she thought that it was the only way those boys will learn. She tried to reassure herself, but she only felt more dejected and stupid. Was it the right decision?







Author's Note: This is my first HP fanfic and I hope it's good enough. Leave me some reviews whether bad, good, ideas..anything!