Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Save the Last Dance for Me by Emily_the_Poet

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: DISCLAIMER: The song near the bottom has been sung by countless jazz singers over the years, but this particular version belongs to Harry Connick Jr.
______________________________________________________________________
“James. C’mon, you promised,” Jemina Doyle entreated as she pulled me towards the entrance hall doors. She put on her puppy dog face before it was replaced by a soft smile that settled easily across her features.



“You don’t have to do it with me, I just want you to hold my bag,” she grinned. I rolled my eyes before relenting, and began moving with her. Jemina smiled wider, if that was even possible, and dragged me outside the double doors. She tore off her shoes and socks, extended her bag by the strap, and leaped into the onslaught of pouring rain.



“Do I have to hold your bag for you in this? Can’t I wait in the great hall?” I cried out, “I might get all wet!” I exclaimed. She turned and looked at me with her ‘do I care’ look. Her clothes were already thoroughly sodden, and a rosy hue kissed her cheeks. She smiled, and shook her head in an annoyed manner before turning to face an invisible dance partner.



I watched, mesmerized, as she did a graceful curtsy, and closed her eyes. She raised a hand to Mr. Invisible’s shoulder while clasping her other hand with his other nonexistent one. She then proceeded to dance across the courtyard. Her bare feet were pattering across the cobbles one moment, and crushing the soft grass the next. I found myself growing increasingly envious of a man who did not exist.



I was amazed that she kept her eyes closed, and still managed to avoid several obstacles in her path. I winced as she nearly fell into the fountain, and covered my eyes as she almost stumbled into a tree.



“You’re going to kill yourself,” I cried as she steered away from the wall for a third time. She did not appear to hear me as she miraculously evaded yet another large stone.



I could not take her haphazard, yet beautiful dancing anymore. I set down both our bags, and tore off my shoes as well. I walked across the lawn and tapped her shoulder lightly. “Excuse me. Miss, might I cut in?” I asked over the roar of the rain. She gave an apologetic bow to Mr. Invisible and took my hand. I felt a shiver run up my spine, though I was sure it was not from the rain. I placed my other hand on her waist and she put hers on my shoulder. My heart jumped to my throat and I swallowed it down. We began to dance to non-existent music only we could hear.



“I was using him you know,” she said in that soft voice of hers. It made me think of a willow tree sighing in the wind whenever she spoke like that.



“Oh,” I said, “how so?”



“Well, I knew I wasn’t going to get a cat like you out here on my own. So I enlisted a little help,” I could picture the glimmer in her eyes, though she still had them closed. I noticed a devilish grin flit across her lips. “I almost thought it wouldn’t work. However, my evil plans always work,” she announced satisfied.



“May I ask why you think of me as a cat?” I asked, purposely avoiding the last bit.



“You don’t like water, do you not? And cats despise water. Hence, the cat reference,” she stated. I chose this moment to twirl her and it took her a minute to get situated again. She leaned into my chest, which made my heart speed up. Once again, I asked myself why I had not chosen to ask her out when we first met nearly two years ago. Once again, I avoided the answer I already knew, and placed my hands at the small of her back.



“You’re a much better dancer you know,” she added as her hands laced their way up to the back of my neck. I placed my forehead against hers as we slowly swayed to a rhythm neither of us knew. “You don’t step on my feet and make me stumble into things,” she added intoxicatingly.



I could not deny my feelings for her anymore. Even if my friends disapproved, they and the rest of the school could jump in the black lake for all I cared. As long as I was with this girl, however strange she was, I could no longer hide the fact that I was in love with her.



I leaned in and kissed her. The tingle I had felt before surged throughout my whole body once more, as she and I gave everything into that kiss. I felt her lean closer, and realised she was about to collapse against me. I was ready and held her up. I held her in a tight embrace and refused to let go. She broke off the kiss for a breath of fresh air. Her deep blue eyes finally opened as realisation hit her. She placed a hand to her lips in surprised reflection. Then I kissed her again with the same amount of passion as before.



“I always dreamed my first kiss would be in the rain,” she said dreamily. Her hands drifted to the back of my neck again, and we began to sway back and forth. Her raven, rain soaked hair fell loosely around her face, and her pale skin evoked forth the natural penetrating power of her eyes.



At first, I could not speak at all, but soon I found words. I could sing for her the words of love I had practiced for weeks. Gathering all my courage, I began to sing. It was a song by an old Muggle singer that I had found quite talented.



“You can dance, every dance with the guy who gives you the eye. Let him hold you tight. You can smile, every smile for the man who held your hand 'neath the pale moonlight, but don't forget who's takin' you home, and in whose arms you're gonna be, so, darlin', save the last dance for me,”



We swayed aimlessly about, and her hypnotic blue eyes closed again. She rested her head against my chest and sighed happily.



“Well you can know, that the music's fine, like sparklin' wine, go and have your fun. Love and sing, but while we're apart, don't you give your heart, to anyone. But don't forget, who's takin' you home, and in whose arms you're gonna be, so, darlin', save the last dance for me.”



“Well you can dance, you can carry on, till the night is gone, and it's time to go. But if he asks, if you're all alone, can he take you home? You must tell him no. Cause don't forget who's takin' you home, and in whose arms you're gonna be, so, darlin', save the last dance for me,” I finished softly.



She opened her eyes and took my hand. “Will this be any different when we walk through those doors?” she asked bluntly, and gestured towards the double doors that led to Hogwarts’ interior.



“yes,” I replied sincerely, “it will be better.”



I took her hand, and led her inside to our new future together.



A couple of minutes later, a crabby caretaker yelled at us for dripping water all over his clean floor.