Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Weird Wedding by rawz

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Anything you recognize I do not own.


Chapter 6: Wedding Day



Harry awoke the day of the wedding feeling utterly exhausted. He had been tossing and turning half the night, going over his conversation with Ginny and her revelation that she had been the one to request they were paired up for the wedding. He went over and over in his mind what she has said, and ran through all his options of what he could do about it. One minute he would be dead set on getting back together with her, the next he would be more certain then ever it was too dangerous. Finally, just before dawn, he had come to a decision before falling into a restless sleep.

He only hoped it was the right one.

After Harry had gotten dressed, he stumbled down the stairs in a sleepy haze. How he was going to get through the day with less then four hours of sleep he did not know.

When he reached the dinning room, he found the entire house in a flurry of activity. People ran from room to room, putting last minute touches on decorations and food for the wedding. He could barely get into the kitchen and grab a piece of toast before he was pushed out again by Mrs.Weasley, who was bustling about.

“Oh, Harry, dear, there you are,” Mrs.Weasley said in a rush. “If you didn’t already know, the wedding begins a three o’ clock, but you should be down here at least a half hour earlier. When you’re ready to put your dress robes on, you can find them up in Fred and George’s old room. Would you please wake up Ron and tell him?” Mrs.Weasley finished and Harry nodded, still nibbling on his toast. Mrs.Weasley gave him a grateful smile, and Harry turned and went back upstairs.

It took Harry some time to wake Ron, but after he did and had relayed Mrs. Weasley’s message, he sat down on the bed across from Ron and studied him for a long moment. Finally he said, “Ron, I had an interesting conversation with Ginny last night. She said some things…” Harry quickly went over with Ron what Ginny had said, and Ron looked surprised when Harry got to the part about Ginny arranging to be paired with Harry for the wedding. After Harry finished, he continued with, “I’ve been thinking about it all night, and I think I’ve finally come to a decision.” Harry told Ron of his plan.

Ron looked pensive for a moment and furrowed his brow, as if he were hesitant to agree to what Harry had said. After a minute had passed, he asked quietly, “What do you think Dumbledore would say?”

Harry cringed inwardly at the mention of their dead headmaster. Harry had tried to put thoughts of Dumbledore out of his mind because it caused him pain to think of how he had been killed. However, he could not deny that the same thought had occurred to him last night. Harry spoke slowly. “I think he would approve. Ginny is almost as close to me as you and Hermione.”

“Then I can’t think of any other reason to disagree. I hope you know what your getting into, Harry. I assume you’ve already thought about how she will react?” Ron questioned.

“Yes,” Harry replied.

“I hope you know what you’re doing.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

At two-thirty, Harry and Ron changed into their dress robes, and headed downstairs into the backyard. Harry noticed that almost all the other bridesmaids and groomsmen were assembled, as was Bill. The only people missing were Fleur, her maid of honor, Pricilla, and Percy.

As Harry neared Bill, he over heard him say, “I swear, if Percy doesn’t get his arse over here soon, I’ll hex him so bad he’ll be in St. Mungo’s until Christmas.”

Ron laughed. “I should have expected Percy would be late, of all people.”

Harry looked around as the guests took their seats. He realized that most of the guests appeared to be relatives of Fleur who had been staying with them the past couple of weeks, only a few bore the same fiery red hair that marked them as a Weasley, and there were a few that Harry did not recognize at all. When he mentioned this to Ron, he replied, “Mum’s brothers, who were killed in the first war, didn’t have any children, and the only other living relatives she has is her mother, Great Aunt Muriel -who lent Fleur that tiara- and her cousin. Dad has his parents and a couple brothers, but other than that, there are just a few family, friends and some distant relatives by marriage.”

Harry nodded and continued to look around the yard. He noticed that the archway under which Bill and Fleur were to stand during the ceremony had been decorated with roses in various shades of pink that were weaved around it on what appeared to be some sort of vine. In the aisle between the two chairs down which Fleur would walk was a long rug that Harry realized must have been enchanted, for it looked like a rippling white pool of water when it was stepped on, but it did not move or wrinkle and it was dry to the touch.
In a far corner of the yard, the tables were still stacked, and Harry saw no sign of the food that he had seen being prepared that morning.

Just then, he realized that people had stopped filing in. Bill motioned for them to line up, and he looked on the verge of going into a rage when he realized Percy was not there. As Harry took his place in line, however, Percy came running up, hair messy and glasses askew, but there none the less. When Bill approached him, with a face as red as his hair, Percy muttered, “So sorry, a lot of work to do, you know.” Harry stifled a laugh. Some things would never change.

“If there weren’t over seventy witnesses right now, you’d be dead in a second,” Bill hissed in Percy’s ear. He then walked away and took his place at the end of the aisle as a very flustered Percy took his own place in line.

Harry looked across to the line of bridesmaids and saw Ginny. He quickly looked away as to not be caught staring, and he saw that Pricilla had just taken her place in the line.

It suddenly occurred to Harry that no one appeared to be present to marry Bill and Fleur.
When Harry asked Ron who would be marrying them, Ron pointed a small man standing at the head of the aisle next to Bill that Harry had not noticed before. The man looked to be in his mid-fifties with a full head of white hair and wrinkles around his eyes. He had a kindly expression that reminded Harry distinctly of Dumbledore. The man wore a white robe that resembled a graduation robe and held a small book. “Since wizards don’t go to- what’s it called?- oh, yeah, church, we have other people who work for the Ministry and are hired to marry people at Wizarding weddings. Kind of like your prests.”

“I think you mean ‘Priests.’” Harry corrected with a grin.

Just then, the wedding march began playing from a source that Harry could not identify. The wedding had begun.

First, Charlie and Pricilla made their way down the aisle, Pricilla’s horrendously pink dress shaking with each step. When they made it half way down, Gabrielle and Ron began their walk. It continued just as rehearsal had -although Fred and George managed to refrain from skipping- until it was Harry and Ginny’s turn to go down the aisle.

Harry linked arms with her and they began down the aisle. Every step seemed to take them an eternity, and yet Harry did not feel that he wanted it to end as he had yesterday.
When they parted at the end, Harry caught her eye for one brief moment, but he could not read her expression. Her face appeared blank.

The wedding guests then stood up as Fleur made her entrance. She walked down the aisle with an elderly man whom Harry assumed must have been her father. She wore a dress that was almost blindingly white. It had off-the-shoulder sleeves and a scoop neck. The hem of the dress came down past her feet and turned into a long train that extended out behind her. Her hair was piled into and elegant bun, and on her head sat a silver tiara that caught the light and sparkled in the sun. In her hands, she carried a small bouquet of white short-stemmed roses. She looked beautiful, and Harry saw out of the corner of his eye that Ron’s mouth was hanging open slightly, while Hermione shot him irritated looks.

Bill was positively beaming by the time Fleur got to the end of the aisle, kissed her father on the cheek, and took her place across from him. A hush fell over the entire crowd as the Ministry official opened his book to begin the ceremony.

“Dearly beloved,” he began. “We are gathered here today in the face of this company, to join together Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour in matrimony; which is an honourable and solemn estate and, therefore, is not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently and soberly. Into this estate, these two persons present come now to be joined. If any one can show just cause why they may not be lawfully joined together, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.” Out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw a few members of Fleur’s family shift uncomfortably. It occurred to him that Fleur’s family may have not been happy with her choice of a husband, just as Mrs.Weasley had originally been unhappy about Bill and Fleur getting married. However, nobody said anything, and the Ministry official carried on.

“Who gives this woman to be married to this man?

“We do.” The man who had walked down the aisle with Fleur and Fleur’s mother stood up slightly and smiled.

“May we have the rings, please?” The Ministry wizard asked.

Charlie reached into his pocket and took out a small black velvet box. He opened the box, removed two rings, then placed the box back in his pocket. He handed the rings to the Ministry wizard, who then gave one ring to Bill and one to Fleur. The ring that Bill would be placing on Fleur was a silver band with a small, circular diamond. The ring the Fleur would be placing on Bill was a plain silver band.

“Bill Weasley, do you take Fleur Delacour for your lawful wedded wife, to live in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love, honour, comfort, and cherish her from this day forward, forsaking all others, keeping only unto her for as long as you both shall live?””

“I do,” Bill said, smiling.

“Fleur Delacour, do you take Bill Weasley for your lawful wedded husband, to live in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love, honour, comfort, and cherish him from this day forward, forsaking all others, keeping only unto him for as long as you both shall live?”

“I do,” Fleur replied, smiling back at Bill.

“We will now exchange the rings. Bill, place the ring on Fleur’s right hand, and repeat after me.” The Ministry official continued on solemnly. “With this ring, I thee wed, and with it, I bestow upon thee all the treasures of my mind, heart, and hands.”

“With this ring, I thee wed, and with it, I bestow upon thee all the treasures of my mind, heart, and hands,” Bill said, and slipped the ring on Fleur’s finger.

“Fleur, repeat after me as you place the ring on Bill’s right hand. ‘With this ring, I thee wed, and with it, I bestow upon thee all the treasures of my mind, heart, and hands.’”

“With zis’ ring, I ze’ wed, and with it, I bestow upon ze’ all ze’ treasures of my mind, heart, and hands,” Fleur repeated, and slipped the silver band on Bill’s finger.

“Then, by the power vested in me by the Ministry of Magic, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride!”

Bill took Fleur in his arms and dipped her back into a long and passionate kiss. When they broke apart, Fleur appeared flushed, and Harry saw that she was crying, as were many of the wedding guests.

The next several minutes were a blur as people came up to hug Bill and Fleur and give their congratulations. Eventually, Bill, Fleur, their respective parents and the bridesmaids and groomsmen gathered around for pictures. When the pictures were taken, Bill, Fleur, and a few others pulled out their wands, gave them a couple flicks, and soon the chairs were cleared away, only to be replaced by the wedding tables that had been stacked on one side of the lawn. Additionally, the chairs rearranged themselves around the tables. The tablecloths, utensils, and centerpieces, made up of some sort of light blue flower, were also magically set on the tables. Over where the tables had been stacked, lanterns sprang up, seemingly out of nowhere, in a circle with space left in the middle. Judging by the record player that had set itself up over there, Harry assumed that place would be used for dancing.

Before they began to eat, Fleur threw her bouquet, and Bill threw Fleur’s garter. A very red and embarrassed Ron caught the garter, while a blushing Hermione caught the bouquet. Hastily pushing the bouquet and garter aside, Harry did not miss the look Hermione and Ron sent each other, thinking the other one wasn’t looking, before quickly looking away and blushing.

Another flick from Fleur’s wand, and plates piled high with food floated out of the house and set themselves on the tables. The last thing that came out to the yard was a huge white tiered cake, complete with Bill and Fleur models at the top that, upon closer inspection, Harry realized actually moved. The figures were dancing and kissing and were dressed just a Fleur and Bill were, right down to the rings on their fingers.

People began taking their seats. Harry took a seat next to Hermione and Ron, who were looking pointedly away from each other. Harry, having not eaten anything since his one piece of toast at breakfast, was starving and began stacking whatever was in reach on his plate.

After everyone was mostly done with their food, Charlie stood up, pointed his wand at his throat, and began talking in a magically enhanced voice. “Now, I think it is time that the bride and groom have the first dance of the evening.” He grinned at Bill, who was waving his hand as if to say that, no, he did not think it was time for dancing. “Come on now, Bill, we can’t keep everyone waiting.” With much encouraging, Bill and Fleur finally shuffled up out of their seats and over to the dancing area. Charlie pointed his wand at the record player and a slow waltz began. As Bill and Fleur started dancing, something became very clear to Harry; Bill could not dance. At least not well enough to lead, for it was quite obvious that Fleur was leading, and Bill looked slightly embarrassed. Charlie looked around awkwardly, Harry doubted that he knew Bill could not dance, or that that was the reason he had been reluctant to. Slowly, however, people began making their way onto the dance floor, and Bill and Fleur sat back down.

Once the waltz was over, a series of more lively songs began playing, with a few slower ones thrown in here and there. Most people were dancing. In fact, the only people who weren’t dancing were Hermione, Ginny, Gabrielle, Ron, Pricilla -who was sitting in a corner alone looking very haughty- and Harry. Even Fred and George were dancing with Lauren and Elizabeth, and Charlie and Percy were dancing with other relatives of Fleur’s.

“Ron, don’t you think that dancing looks like fun?” Hermione said, facing Ron and apparently forgetting her earlier embarrassment.

“Oh, I don’t know. I’m not much of a dancer.” Ron shrugged.

Hermione scowled at him, got up, and went to sit with Gabrielle and Ginny.

Ron looked baffled. “What did I do?” he asked, turning to Harry.

Harry suppressed a laugh. Even he could see that Hermione had wanted Ron to dance with her. “I think she wanted you to dance with her, mate.”

“But…she…I….” Ron stuttered.

“I think you should go ask her to dance,” Harry advised.

Ron nodded dumbly and slowly got to his feet. Face red, he made his way over to Hermione and mumbled something that Harry could not hear. It must have pleased Hermione, however, because she smiled at him, grabbed his hand, and they walked together to the dance floor where a waltz was just starting up again.

Ginny and Gabrielle were sitting alone now, talking amiably. Harry studied Ginny for a moment. Then he stood up, took a deep breath to quell his nerves, and walked shakily over to Ginny.

“Er…Ginny, could I talk to you for a minute? Alone?” Harry stammered once he reached her.

Ginny looked surprised, then nodded and followed him. They walked for a few minutes in silence, past the dancing guests and all the tables, and up to the hill where they'd had their conversation the previous evening.

“Ginny,” Harry began, “I was thinking about what you said last night. There are things…things that I need to tell you. I really wish we could get back together, I really do…it’s just that…” Harry took a deep breath. He had to tell her. It was now or never.

“Ginny, I think it’s time I told you everything.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author’s Note: First of all, I’m so sorry it took so long for me to update. (I know I am always saying this, but I really am sorry!) I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I know that my version of the wedding is completely different from the book, but this is how I had it planned ever since I started, and I didn’t want to change it. Hopefully you liked it anyways! Also, The next chapter is going to be the last. Thank you to everyone who has been reading and reviewing, and a big thank you to my beta reader, Vickie. I will try to post the next chapter before the end of the month, but obviously I am a procrastinator, so I can’t promise anything. Lastly, please leave a review if you have the time! I enjoy reading them and respond to every one.