Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Mystery Unleashed by Periwinkle

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Many thanks to my amazing beta, hogwartsduchess, for going through this story, making the corrections when not feeling the best.


EXPERIMENT GONE WRONG IN THE DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES

The Daily Prophet
November 2, 2004

by Zamira Gulch

Last night, Unspeakables in the Department of Mysteries were attempting an experiment in the Brain Room. One of the members accidentally charmed one of the Brains, making it levitate in the air, flying out of reach. The Unspeakables were unable to gain possession of the Brain, which not only flew out of the room, but also out of the building.

The Unspeakables had to contact security officials and the Minister of Magic himself about the alarming problem. Ministry persona pursued the hovering Brain half a mile from its original location and were dismayed to find out that a few Muggles had already spotted the flying object. An hour later, the officials returned with the Brain under control. When asked, they replied that the Muggles' memories had been erased.

"When we got to the scene, the Brain was actually floating a hand's reach from a Muggle child. We were very fortunate that the Brain's attacking attributes were diminished, although we did not know when they would return. Other Muggles in the area have had their memory erased," says Arnold Peasegood, an Obliviator. "This was a possible threat to the Muggles, and conferences are being held now."

He would not say more on the matter.

Wizards who noticed the commotion at the Ministry are demanding to speak with the Minister of Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour. They are seeking entrance into the Ministry, but thus far none have been granted passage in.

Please stay with us as we continue to gain information on this developing matter.
___

GROUPS CAMPAIGNING FOR SHUTTING DOWN OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES

The Daily Prophet
November 5, 2004

by Zamira Gulch

Certain groups of wizards have called forth a petition to shut down the Department of Mysteries - for good.

"What is it's use, now?" one man asks, who wishes his name remain confidential. "It's a threat, a danger -- all it does is sit there. There are no positive aspects to the [expletive] building."

Ministry officials are asking for the parties to remain quiet while a case is presented to the Minister of Magic.


Teagan sighed as she skimmed the papers, sipping her cup of coffee and resting her feet on the table. Scores of parchment littered her desk, showing off the trouble she had gone through to get where she was now. Just recently accepted as a journalist of the Daily Prophet, Teagan needed to write an article -- and fast.

She had sent the application in two weeks ago and just received a reply this morning, welcoming her to the team of journalists already working for the paper. At the bottom of the page, her new boss and editor had asked her to complete a front cover article before the end of the month. The problem was that Teagan didn't have anything to write about that was worthy of impressing Mr. Cuffe.

She ran a hand through her ebony hair and stood up, tired, yet ready to take on the challenge. Teagan never shied away from dares or particularly hard tasks; instead, she took them up and tackled them, not giving up until they were finished.

With a simple charm, she cleared the table, stacking up the papers and moving her now-empty cup to the sink. Exhausted as she was, Teagan wanted to complete the job sooner than later.

But I need a shower first, she muttered and disappeared into her rooms.

*
"Well, what do you propose we do?" Rufus Scrimgeour snapped, his temper running short, having been delivered words that hordes of people were demanding entrance to the Ministry. A week after the incident, he had had to withstand arduous presentations, lengthy documents and incessant complaints and was ready to burst. He faced the assembled personnel that faced him, each bearing a different facial expression, ranging from weariness to anger.

Personally, Scrimgeour wanted the Department of Mysteries to stay intact. The petitions assailing his mailbox were absurd and unrealistic and he was fed up having to deal with dimwits. He took a deep breath, gathering the last bits of patience he had and spoke.

"I have a proposal. How about we get a respectable journalist to explore the Department of Mysteries, accompanied by an Unspeakable? Naturally, we wouldn't show her all the rooms, but most of them. She'd have to want to keep the Department," he finished, crumpling a piece of paper in his fist.

"What do you say to that?"

*
Teagan was just about to leave her flat when a rap on her window startled her, making her drop the folders she was holding. Narrowing her eyes angrily, for she hated to be interrupted when important matters were at hand, she stomped over to the window and wrenched it open.

The owl resting on the sill held out its leg and Teagan's eyes shifted to the important-looking letter it bore. She swallowed hard, slowly unfastening it from the owl. As soon as she had done so, the brown owl gave its farewell hoot and departed. The letter had the official seal of the Ministry, making Teagan weak in the knees. She Transfigured a vase into a chair and sat down, opening it.

From the desk of Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister of Magic

Dear Ms. Jetters,

I have been informed from the head of the Daily Prophet that you are the newest addition to the group of journalists. He assures me that your style of writing is both accurate and respectable, so I am asking you to do this favor on behalf of the Ministry and myself.

You have been invited to explore the Department of Mysteries with a trusted Unspeakable, viewing certain rooms. Afterwards, may I request you to write an article on the Department of Mysteries to convice the public that it is worthy of staying open?

Please meet me on the ninth floor of the Ministry building tomorrow at seven in the morning if you are interested. If not, send your reply with the next owl.

Yours,
Rufus Scrimgeour

Minister of Magic


Teagan didn't know how long she sat there. She reread the letter many times, unbelieving. Her thoughts were a jumble in her mind and she was stunned. Never had she thought such an opportunity would come knocking at her door.

*
Teagan had put on her best black business suit and was ready before six o'clock. She had all her files and questions ready last night. Her hands trembled from excitement as she Apparated to the red telephone box .

The gloomy street was bereft of individuals, except for a few scattered ones hurrying here and there. Teagan walked in and picked up the telephone.

62442.

After a moment, a pleasant voice answered. "Visitor to the Ministry, please state your name and business."

"I am here to meet with the Minister of Magic in the Department of Mysteries," Teagan answered promptly.

She waited as a silver badge appeared with her name and purpose of visit. Taking it, she stumbled slightly as the telephone booth started its journey downwards.

Stepping into the Atrium and immediately turning to the left-hand side of the entrance hall, she marveled at the splendor of the area, from its embellished fireplaces to the Fountain of Magical Brethren in the middle to its aquamarine ceiling. She was halted by the security wizard, who mentioned for her wand, which he examined before handing it back to her.

Introducing herself yet again to a witch, Teagan walked over to the lift entrances. A door opposite of the row of lifts led into the Department of Mysteries. It was precisely seven o'clock.

With a deep breath, she walked into a place she never thought she would visit. It was floor that was previously forbidden to strangers, only Unspeakables were allowed in. Teagan was one of the first witches that had looked in. She ambled into a large corridor that seemed to stretch for an eternity. And there, facing her, was the Minister of Magic and two more persons, which Teagan made out to be Unspeakables.

"Welcome, Ms. Jetters. I am pleased you have arrived."

She stared for only a few seconds, before politely answering, "As am I happy to be here."

"This is Mr. Vickett and Mr. Maggs, Unspeakables. They will accompany you throughout the Department of Mysteries. You may walk around to your heart's content, but please do not take longer than a day," he joked, an amiable smile on his face.

His words rushed in Teagan's ears as she mentally prodded herself to reply, saying: "I am forever in your debt, Mr. Scrimgeour. To be here has been one of my lifetime ambitions."

"Then I am happy that I have chosen such a writer, for you are proving to be worthy of the assignment." Tipping his hat, he bid her good day and walked out of the bare, now-silent corridor. Teagan was left alone with the two Unspeakables. The one that had been introduced as Mr. Vickett looked younger than his companion and his dark eyes peered at her approvingly. Mr. Maggs was an older man, wrinkles adorned his pale face. He did not look as if the situation was agreeable.

Teagan looked at the pair expectedly. "May we go in?"

"Yes, of course," Mr. Vickett replied hastily and ushered her towards the black door at the other end. Curious, Teagan walked forward, only to be interrupted by Mr. Maggs.

"I implore you to not try anything rash, Ms. Jetters," he said in a low tone. "This is an important area, in which only chief persons should be allowed."

Teagan drew herself up. She hadn't been called bold at Hogwarts for nothing; her Slytherin traits were stronger than when she was younger.

"I assure you, Mr. Maggs," she said, her voice cool, "that I will not attempt anything stupid. The Minister himself has given me permission to enter. If you are not pleased with that, I suggest you bring your complaints to him, but I warn you he will not be grateful. You are wasting the precious time I have left, sir. I don't have all day." With that, she swung open the heavy door and set foot in.

She blinked, taking everything in. She appeared to be standing in a circular room, with doors built into the wall, surrounding her. The doors were similiar to the one she had just opened - undecorated and black. The only decorations in the stripped chamber were candles, burning a bright blue. The lights reflected off the walls and the ground, illuminating the room in dazzling sparkles.

But it was the floor that made Teagan halt. It was the floor that held her interest the longest. Polished and smooth, she could see her reflection in it. Hazel eyes stared back at her and short black hair contrasted sharply with the green-blue color. It looked as if she was standing in water -- so clear was the ground. Teagan stared, fascinated. A voice in the background brought her back to earth.

"When I close this door, the rest will start to revolve," Mr. Vickett was saying. As he spoke, the door closed and immediately the rest in the room started spinning wildly, confusing Teagan.

It was a disarray of colors -- from the blue of the candles to the black of the now-spinning doors.

In a faint voice, Teagan asked, "Where do we go now?"

Her mind was full of ideas, phrases and descriptions that she had gotten during those couple minutes. She had heard that the Department of Mysteries had many rooms, each more fascinating than the last. Teagan wondered how she would be able to write all this down.

"Follow me," Mr. Vickett replied, efficiently gliding to one of the doors on Teagan's left. "We'll make our way through them, save for a couple. Come along, Mr. Maggs," he gestured to his companion, who had been grim and silent this entire time.

Expertly, Mr. Vickett walked over to a door, and gestured. "This is the Planet Room, Ms. Jetters. Inside you will see many planets, not only ones from our own Solar System but from other galaxies also. Please take note of your belongings, as you might begin to float upon entering."

Teagan stayed silent, although there was a war going inside her mind. She still felt as if in a dream and her thoughts kept straying to the letter she had received from the Minister that had been the start of this all.

Trying to process all this information, she followed the Unspeakable past the door. Instantly upon entering, Teagan felt ethereal. Cool wisps of air met her face and her eyes fought to adjust in the dim room. It was dark -- she could only make out the shadow of Mr. Vickett's form before her.

Then, as her eyes began to see, round spheres appeared around her, floating in the air. Some were reddish, others a deep blue. The assortment of colors astonished Teagan as she walked from one to the other. She felt a lightness underneath her feet and as she looked down, she was shocked to see that her body was actually hovering above the ground.

Clutching her papers and quill, she focused her attention instead on the planets, her eyes wandering about. She tried to see as much detail as she could, drifting closer to the round orbs.

The room seemed infinite and deep. Bright points of light dotted the spaces between the planets, but Teagan could never touch them as she couldn't the planets. They always appeared to be far away, even as she moved towards them. She contented herself with observing them from afar, delighting in the mist that enclosed her.

Fascinated, she heard Mr. Vickett speak. "This room is used for observation and study of the planets, so we may gain better knowledge of them. A few times a month, certain Unspeakables enter and conduct experiments or just view them. You can even see nebulae or glimpse the birth of a star. Come here. This is Earth."

He motioned to a light blue sphere. Cerain areas were bathed in white -- clouds, as Mr. Vickett explained. Green and brown were the continents and the intense blue was the oceans.

"London is here," he pointed. Teagan was astonished as she gazed onto the planet. It was so much better than the models she had been shown as a child.

"Come, come," Mr. Maggs said from below, standing below. "We don't have all day."

Teagan was too preoccupied to comment.

She was slowly lowered to the floor as she made her way towards one of the side doors. Following the two Unspeakables, she walked into a bright room, the harsh light making her flinch compared to the dark room she had just exited.

"This is the Brain Room," Mr. Vickett clarified. "It's the one used least often, because we don't need anything from it. A couple years ago, we wanted to create more security to keep others away. If you remember, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was on the rise and the Wizarding world lived in fear. The brains were made to their present appearance on purpose. We wanted them to be as frightening as possible to keep persons away. If that failed and the person came too close, they would attack. Yes, I know that this may be harmful to the individual, but never in all our tests conducted has it proved fatal."

As he talked, Teagan eyed the room warily, for she knew all too well that one of the Brains had escaped from here. It was a long, rectangular room, with no special effects like the Planet Room had. Lamps hung dangerously low from the ceiling, and as Teagan was quite tall, she had to duck to avoid hitting one of the golden lights. Mr. Vickett stood a long way from the glass tank in the middle. Teagan almost retched at the sight of the white Brains in it. They were disgusting, drifting in the green fluid that kept them alive. She wrinkled her nose in disgust and focused her attention on Mr. Vickett.

"...now, as you know, one of the Brains escaped from here. We were trying to start a ne-"

"Now you listen here, girlie." Mr. Maggs interrupted, eyeing Teagan in distrust. "This is probably the most important part of your adventure, as I'm sure you take it," he leered. "Stop gawking and listen up."

Teagan sighed mentally. When would this guy ever learn? She suspected he wanted to keep the Department of Mysteries open, wanting her to pay attention to Mr. Vickett's words. Masking her face with anger, she shot him a livid look.

"For your information, Mr. Maggs, I am a journalist. It is my job to take note of the details as well as the information. If you hadn't interrupted Mr. Vickett here, who was in the middle of a vital piece, then we would have been farther in our discussion."

Mr. Vickett's face stayed emotionless and he continued as if the two hadn't spoken. Teagan was very excited about doing this and hated for someone like Mr. Maggs to spoil the suprises for her.

"As I was saying, Unspeakables were trying to explore the limits of these Brains and what exactly they were able to undertake. We charmed the brains on purpose -- it was no accident. However, we did not anticipate the Brains being so fiery and getting quite out of control. Let me assure you, Ms. Jetters, that there will be no more mistakes here, this I guarantee." He gave her a few more seconds to get a better view of the room.

It was quiet...too quiet, something Teagan hated. After scrutinizing everything she could and taking notes, she nodded at the Unspeakables. "I'm ready. How many rooms are left?"

"Oh, quite a few, Ms. Jetters. We only have permission to show you a couple, however."

Teagan merely looked down, hiding her face, but her mind was spinning. She'd get them to show her all the rooms, or most of them, if it was the last thing she'd do. Straightening up, she graced the two men with a smile and sauntered over to one of the doors lining the wall to her left.

"This leads to...?"

"The Death Chamber."

The words sent shivers of thrill up Teagan's spine and her grin widened. "Then what are we waiting for?"

The men stared at her, as if they had never heard someone laugh for years. For it was true -- their jobs required so much time and energy, they hadn't had time for their social lives.

Teagan pushed open the door and walked in, anticipating a small, gloomy room. She was quite suprised to find herself in an enormous area, dimly lit. There was a strange entity to it -- something foreign and cold. Teagan halted in her steps, observing the area and subconciously rubbed her arms against the chill that pervaded the area.

"Let me caution you, Ms. Jetters, that you should never get too close to the Veil in the center."

In the middle there was a vast hole, with a stone dais in the center of it. A decaying archway stood on the dais, ancient embellishments decorating it. The room was deathly still, making Teagan shudder.

For she knew all too well of what had happened here -- how many lives were lost. She trembled to think that perhaps Voldemort himself could have stood upon this spot. She finally realized the amount of generosity the Minister had given her, allowing Teagan to explore the rooms. She was determined to write an article -- an outstanding one. Such an enthralling place should recieve quality observation.

Everything dropped back from her mind and surroundings. It was only Teagan and the Death Chamber. Steadily, she moved through the stone benches that encircled the dais, stopping every now and then to pick up a crumbling rock or touch one of the artifacts. For once, the Unspeakables did not comment. It seemed that to them, this room held a certain amount of awe and foreboding as well.

Teagan's glance fell upon the disintegrating archway on the dais. Once her eyes came to it, they could not be torn away. A shredded black curtain hung over it and to Teagan's great shock it began to flutter, although there was no hint of a breeze in the still room. She heard faint voices, as if coming from the curtain, but also resonating from all corners of the mammoth area. She paused, petrified.

"Do you hear that?" she whispered, not turning back to them.

"Hear what, Ms. Jetters?" Mr.Vickett inquired politely but there was a puzzled tone to his voice.

"Those voices. Coming from the curtain." Her words echoed throughout the room.

Mr. Vickett exchanged a knowing glance with Mr. Maggs, who looked grimmer than ever.

"No, we do not," Mr. Maggs replied.

Teagan reached out, her hand in midair, captivated. The voices cooed and whispered in her mind, pulling her towards the --

"Ms. Jetters!"

Teagan jerked back, breathing fast. "I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. They were calling to me." She looked up at the two men, who were still standing at the door. "What is this room's purpose?" she asked them, walking away from the Veil.

"It has been here longer than anyone of us," Mr. Vickett began, his voice hushed. "None of us have been told its sole purpose, therefore we don't know much about it. It does serve for something, however." He would say no more.

Teagan looked back at the motionless place. They gave her a few minutes to write down her thoughts and notes, before beckoning to her to follow them.

"We are now going to the Time Room, the last room you will visit today," Mr. Vickett said, leading the way. "I think you will find it the most fascinating." He opened the door, letting Teagan go in first.

Her eyes were assaulted by the dazzling light the room emitted. Tinkling noises, like a never-ending song rushed in her ears as her eyes adapted to the illuminating brilliance. Teagan stopped short, gaping.

The Time Room was the narrowest of them all, but its contents made up for the small size. The walls were occupied with a light so beautiful, so alluring. Little spots danced on the walls, leaping from area to another. Clocks littered wherever Teagan's eyes rested, filling up all empty spaces. There were big clocks, small ones, beige and dark brown.

Ticking endlessly, they supplied the noise in the room. Bookcases lined one wall and desks preoccupied the space in between. The clocks were hanging or placed on one of the wooden tables. Teagan's eyes were drawn to the far end of the room, where she saw a bright blaze.

Walking closer, she realized there was an enormous crystal bell jar that emitted the light she saw. An invisible, yet glittering object filled it, reminding Teagan of wind. She peered past the glass and saw something that amazed her. A tiny bird moved inside the jar, flying at the top. It changed to an egg when it neared the bottom, growing and enlarging when it was at the top again. It repeated this cycle, going from one point to the other.

Teagan was astounded. She knew the Department of Mysteries was awesome, but to behold something so magnificent was stunning. With increased fervor, she promised herself that she would write such a persuasive and winning article that no one would dare utter anything against the Department of Mysteries.

In some of the shelves, there were items made of glass and silver, watches and clocks all ticking simultaneously. There were so many of them that the sound that was released was powerful, yet gentle and mild. It was such an endearing area -- Teagan wanted to stay forever.

She strolled through the room a couple times, inspecting wooden and golden clocks alike, staring further at the hummingbird and the sparkling light.

She was unaware of anyone's presence until Mr. Vickett cleared his throat. Once again Teagan had gotten lost in the world that was her thoughts. "It's almost time for us to go."

She sighed, picking up her papers and with one last glance at the room, she left. She knew she would be coming back. It would never be lost to her.

The hallway seemed dull and gloomy compared to the Time Room, which had filled her with insatiable delight. Teagan found herself standing once again in the Rotating Room, the doors still spinning crazily, the floor illuminated by the blue candles burning infinitely. Mr. Vickett faced her.

"Thank you, Ms. Jetters, for coming here and letting us show you around. Your enthusiasm is much appreciated."

"No, thank you, Mr. Vickett," Teagan replied courteously. "But I must ask -- what rooms have I not been shown?"

Mr. Vickett hesitated. "The Hall of Prophecies, the Locked Room and a few others. I am sorry, but I have strict orders from the head to not reveal these." He gave her a firm and resolute look, killing the hope in her face. She didn't worry about it, however, for she knew she would be allowed back. And maybe, just maybe, they would show her other rooms.

"Thank you regardless." Teagan attempted a smile. "Mr. Vickett. Mr. Maggs." She nodded at them, pushed open the black door and disappeared into the dusky corridor.

*

Later that night, Teagan was busily typing away, her notes spread out on her desk. Her fingers danced on they keys as she spilled forth her adventure in the Department of Mysteries. She gave sole attention to her article, depending on her writing skills and extensive knowledge.

Excitedly, she had already passed one page in small print and was currently working on the Planet Room, describing not only what she saw but her feelings as well.

She never knew that one day her wildest dreams would come true.