Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dear Reader by Madame Marauder

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I dedicate this to my fellow GryffGamers: Sophie_McKinsley, Megan_Lupin, and Avenger_of_Dumbldore.

If you read this, Sophie, Megan and Avenger; Deanna Davis is the same character that I write for GryffGamers: a semi-Unspeakable with a bossy-streak. I hope that she is still recognizable as Deanna Davis from our story. If not, please excuse her... She's eight years younger in this story.



Dear Reader,



First off, I believe proper introductions are in order. My father always told me it was impolite to not give a proper introduction. I’ll start with my name: Deanna Davis. I am twenty-two years of age. Now that some basic formalities have been observed, I would normally ask you who you are. But, of course, you are only in my head. Some fictitious person I’ve made up to ease my loneliness. I guess this is the place for me to give further introduction, as you are to become my sole confidant or confidante, depending on your gender. In my mind, I think you to be male. Perhaps because it’s a man’s company I desire. Or perhaps it’s because many girls I knew at school were petty and dishonest. Or perhaps, it’s a general assumption, made by most humans. To call an unknown “he” as opposed to “she”. I’ve been researching general assumptions in the Department of Mysteries.



Yes, I work for the Department of Mysteries. No, I am not an Unspeakable. And if you dare to call me the caretaker, I’ll sic one of the many odd specimens on you. I wouldn’t do that if you assumed me to be an Unspeakable. Many assume I am an Unspeakable. It’s funny, really, how people assume that. I guess it’s because I, like an Unspeakable cannot tell about my work. At least, not tell people. But you, well, dear Reader, you’re not human… not really.



I work as a field-researcher for the Department of Mysteries. I guess you could call me a scientist (a muggle researcher). Or perhaps one of those people who gives random people surveys. It’s an odd job, field-researcher. But, it’s never dull.



It’s my job to research things, freelance, for the Department of Mysteries. Unlike an Unspeakable, who works full-time and has minimal say in their projects, I work when I want to on what I want to. And I rather like it.



For example, I’ve been doing a study of the human subconscious. Like what I said of general assumptions. That’s one aspect of the subconscious, general assumption. And, general assumption was by far the most interesting. I was allowed to take on someone else’s appearance using Polyjuice Potion. I took on the form of a co-worker, Benjamin Dupree. But, as part of the requirement, I was to dress as I usually do”in women’s clothing. Another field-researcher, Jennifer Smith polled passer-bys on their thoughts of me. Was I male or female? Why did I look masculine, but wear women’s clothing? You get the gist. It was very interesting, the answers I got.



Thus far, I’ve come to this conclusion: humans are judgmental.



I hope that my example hasn’t scared you off, dear Reader. It was just an example. Other things I do are more socially acceptable. For example, I did a poll on Blood-Status Stereotypes. For example: What is the first adjective that comes to mind when I say Pure-blood? I got answers like: snobby, superior, rich, inbred, prejudiced, and others I cannot repeat without swearing.



Which, I guess is a weird quirk of mine: I don’t swear. I know that it sounds prissy, but since I’m required to mingle with all sorts, swearing, in most circles, is considered vulgar. There are a few in which swearing is commonplace. But, when in Rome, right? I do make exceptions, so I guess I should say I don’t swear much.



Let’s see, I’ve covered name, age, career… some morals and career quirks… Perhaps I should tell you more of my personal life and self-image, as you are going to be my confidant or confidante. I guess you should get some sort of mental image to place with all these words….



I’m tall-ish, Leggy, really. And I have rather long arms. But don’t expect a gangly teenage-girl. No. I fit into my appendages, thank you. My hair is brown and choppy. My eyes are also brown, but not choppy. I have fair skin naturally, with a slight tan. I think I’m one of the darkest skinned people in the department because I get out so much by means of comparison.



Now, as to personal life. I’ve experienced the world’s worst break up. Okay, that was an exaggeration. It was two years ago. I broke up with my jerk-of-a-boyfriend, Michael, who refused to accept the idea of my career choice. He told me I couldn’t work in the Department of Mysteries because I lacked the essential ability to keep my mouth shut. He was snobbish and selfish, to say the least. I broke up with him in a shouting match at Madam Puddifoot’s. I’ve sworn off dating, so my personal life is dead.



Okay, that’s a lie. I have friends… My sister Delilah and I are very close. And I have friends in my department” there are two other field researchers: Benjamin Dupree and Jennifer Smith, whom I mentioned before. The three of us have formed a special sort of bond. It’s a little superficial and mostly work related. But it’s nice.



Anyways, Jenny is calling me. Something about the results of Ben’s latest poll. I have to go, dear Reader, but I’ll tell you all about Ben’s poll and my career. I promise.