Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

L'Amour Commence by Pinkerton

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry, it's a bit short, but I was very busy this weekend. So this is to tide you over. :)
-----------
“What is it, Miss Evans?”


Lily was sitting in Professor McGonagall’s office, and the professor herself was sitting behind her desk. Lily had gone to her during breakfast and asked for a private word. She had seemed a bit distressed, the professor remembered. Now she sat in front of her desk, her hands clasped nervously in her lap.

“Professor, I just wanted to ask something…” she reached up and unpinned her Head Girl badge. “I want to retire my position as Head Girl.” Minerva McGonagall gave the girl in front of her a piercing stare. After a long time, she spoke.

“Certainly not. It would degrade the Headmaster’s authority and I will not allow you to.”

“But-“ Lily began. If James was going to hate her for the rest of her life for something she hadn’t done, it wasn’t worth spending two nights a week alone with him.

“I will not hear another word,” McGonagall cut her off sharply. Lily bowed her head. Though she could not see it, something in the professor’s face softened slightly. “I have faith in you, Miss Evans. The Headmaster picked you for a reason. I know you would never give up your position as Head Girl unless something has gone wrong. Won’t you tell me what is troubling you?”

Lily tilted her head upwards slightly. “It’s--it’s not like that, Professor. It isn’t really anything serious. I just…” she trailed off. I just what? Have some boy problems and want to leave school? Got involved in a little gossip and want to say good-bye to Hogwarts? Suck it up, Evans! You’re not going to let a little drama get to you!

Yes. She knew what she was going to do now. What a spineless prat I’ve been! She sprang up from the chair and grabbed her bag.

“Sorry, Professor, but I have to go find someone!” And she dashed out of the office.

Professor McGonagall made no move to stop her. She just sat, contemplating the complexities of the teenage mind.


“Look, Moony, I expect you know what I wanted to talk about.”

Remus and James stood in the corner of the Gryffindor Common Room next to the dormitory stairs.

“Yes, and before you start James, I need to tell you something.” James instantly made signs of interrupting but Remus held up a finger. “Lily Evans and I are not going out, and we never will be.”

James looked surprised for a moment, but furrowed his brow. “You’re serious? You’re not just saying that to placate me?” Remus nodded. James sighed in relief and even laughed a little shakily. “I should have trusted you, but…”

“Honestly, what kind of a friend do you think I am?” asked Remus incredulously. “You should know I would never go out with Lily, or any other girl you liked for that matter.” James nodded. “I was being a bit thick, I admit…but,” he wrinkled his brow in curiosity, “why was she hugging you?”

To his surprise, Remus looked a bit uncomfortable. “Well-I sort of had a talk with her…” he trailed off. James raised an eyebrow.

“About what?”

His friend shifted in even more discomfort. “Er…you.”

James’ eyebrows now threatened to disappear into his messy black hair. “And you told her what, exactly, that made her want to hug you?”

“I told her you fancied her.”

“Oh. Well, she’s known that for years.”

“Well, no. I actually told Lily you loved her.”

“YOU WHAT?”

“It’s not like she didn’t know it already! I mean, you’re completely devoted to the girl.”

“But-I don’t-“

“Don’t kid yourself, mate. You’ve loved her practically forever and you know it.”

“Okay, okay, you win!” said James in a harassed way. “But why’d you have to go and tell her? She probably hates me even more now…”


Remus tilted his head. “Actually, she seemed a bit pleased.” His friend looked up.

“You mean-”

“James!”

The two boys turned towards the portrait hole. James felt his heart beat a little faster as a familiar head of red hair came swinging towards them.

Lily shifted her bag on her shoulder. No way, they both still have all their limbs?

“I just wanted to talk with James,” she said breathlessly. “Er-do you mind, Remus?”

James’ heart leapt. Since when does she call me James? But Remus said, “Of course not”, and retreated to the couch to get his bag before walking out the portrait hole. Lily waited for it to swing shut before rounding on Potter.

“Look, I just wanted to tell you something. Remus and I aren’t going out.” To her surprise, he smiled.

“Yeah, he just told me. I guess the whole thing was just a big misunderstanding on my part.”

Her mouth formed an ‘O’ of understanding. “Okay…so…we’re clear on the subject?” He nodded. “So we’ll be doing patrols as usual tonight?”

“I guess so,” she said, subconsciously tucking her hair behind her ear. She was surprised how easy it was talking to him; it was almost like talking to Anne or Jen. But then she realized with a funny feeling that they were completely alone in the Common Room. Completely alone? That’s funny, you would think-

She started as if shocked, then checked her watch and gave a cry. “Ohmygod, Potions is in five minutes! Come on!” And grabbing his wrist, she pulled a startled James out of the Common Room and into the hall.