Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

L'Amour Commence by Pinkerton

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Well, this is the end. It's been a great trip. :)

Sirius turned up the next morning with a broken arm on a bed across from James’s. They gave each other an enthusiastic thumbs-up. No one was permitted to visit Remus yet. Madam Pomfrey went into his enclosure several times a day, sometimes carrying a dose of potion, other times changing bandages (which James pointed out were “quite bloody”). Lily assured them that Madam Pomfrey was giving him a Blood Replenishing Potion.

It seemed the tale of their midnight escapades had traversed the whole school in a matter of days. Lily received dozens of get-well cards in an hour”half of which were from teachers”but not near as many as James and Sirius. Mountains lay unread on their bedside tables. It seemed every girl in their fan club had sent each of them at least one.

No one seemed to know the whole story of what happened, however, which the three of them were all too glad to keep quiet. Someone had even spread the rumor that they fought a band of centaurs in the Forbidden Forest. Sirius seemed to be enjoying all the publicity. He’d prattle on enthusiastically like some kind of war hero to a crowd of giggling sixth-year girls, with Jenifer scowling at him from across the room.

Within a week they were out of the Hospital Wing. Madam Pomfrey had been particularly reluctant to let Remus go, giving a dark warning to James and Sirius as to what she’d do if they over-exerted him. Granted, none of them looked too healthy with half their limbs still bandaged, but it was difficult to be depressed about anything as they all sat in the warm Gryffindor Common Room one December evening. Snowflakes drifted lazily past the frosted windows. The house elves had done a marvelous job on the Yuletide decorating; garlands hung from every inch of the ceiling, and a towering Christmas tree stood in the corner. The Fat Lady had even traded her pink dress for a fur-trimmed robe.

The room was full of laughing and chatting students, all taking a welcome break from their studies. Lily, Anne, Jenifer, Sirius, James, and Remus sat in a circle around the cheerfully crackling fire.

“Hey, Lily! Christmas cracker!”

Lily reached over and grasped the other end of a brightly papered tube. With a loud POP and a puff of smoke, it opened to reveal a flamboyant purple Santa hat. Sirius grabbed it and perched it jauntily on his head.

“You have confetti on your ear,” said Jen. She lunged over and brushed it off, then proceeded to fix his hair as Sirius mumbled something indistinct.

“Sirius, mate, are you blushing?” said James delightedly. Sirius threw a pillow at him. Everyone laughed except Lily, and Remus, who was reading.

“You know,” said Lily thoughtfully so only James could hear, “I still don’t understand why Remus transformed if the moon wasn’t full yet. I mean, lycanthropy doesn’t come and go by a few days, does it?”

She saw James exchange the smallest of glances with Sirius, who had suddenly stiffened and become wary-looking. James looked back at her and shook his head very slightly.

“Oy Remus, what’re you reading?” inquired Sirius.

“It’s French, you wouldn’t like it.”

“Glad to see you’re better, Remus!”

Remus looked up. A pretty blonde girl was smiling at him as she walked past. Remus waved quickly, promptly dropped his book, and dove to retrieve it.

“Who was that?” asked Lily.

“Grace Emerson from Arithmancy,” said Remus, straightening to watch the girl.

“Oh, Grace Emerson from Arithmancy, eh?” said Sirius roguishly, elbowing his friend in the ribs.

Lily smiled. She knew James had deflected her question about Remus, but she didn’t blame him. If he wanted to keep that private, she wasn’t going to pry.

Her friends’ reaction when she’d told them she was going out with James Potter was, to say the least, unexpected. Anne and Jen had taken the news quite calmly, which saved Lily a lot of embarrassment. (Though once she turned her back, they high-fived each other.) Remus had been mildly surprised, but smiled and congratulated her in his quiet way. Lily, fearing what public displays would occur should he find out, hadn’t even wanted to tell Sirius, but Jen persuaded her. She wasn’t disappointed”he gave a triumphant, “HA!” and punched the air, then bounded around the Great Hall, shouting the news to anyone who’d listen. Lily winced at the memory.

But perhaps most surprising of all was James. She half expected him to begin strutting with renewed vigor around the castle, just because he’d finally scored with Evans. His reaction couldn’t have been more different. In fact, as far as she knew, Remus and Sirius were the only ones he’d personally told. It seemed he had even stopped hexing other students between classes. Although”after calling her several distasteful names in the Ancient Runes corridor, Evan Rosier had recently turned up in the Hospital Wing with some sort of cross between a Confundus Charm and a Jelly-Brain Jinx. “Didn’t change much, the great bloody prat,” said James vehemently.

It was just strange to be going out with James Potter. Strange to be doing the one thing she had denied countless times at the top of her voice. Strange to sit next to him during meals, him playing with a lock of her hair, her trying to fill in his schedule (which, for some reason, she found was increasingly difficult to concentrate on with him sitting near her).

I suppose I always have kind of liked him. She absently smoothed his messy hair. It’s just…he was so cruel back in fifth year, sending off hexes right and left. He’s different now, though, she thought with conviction. I’m sure of it.

“You know,” said Anne quietly, “this is our last year. At Hogwarts, I mean.”

They were all silent. Lily looked at James. James looked back. She leaned her head onto his shoulder.

And it’s going to be a good one.

She supposed she should move her head”Jen was giving them both an unbearably smug look”but she didn’t. They’d just have to get used to those sorts of things.

Besides…it felt kind of nice there.




Thank you all for your loyal support, even though my writing was at times a bit sporadic! And yes...I will be starting another James/Lily fic soon. :)