Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Hairy Snout but a Human Heart by G_A_Potter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: To all things a season is given.
A time to sow,
and a time to reap.
A time to celebrate,
a time to mourn.
A time to be born,
a time to die.
Let us all remember those whose time has come.
Let us all also remember those whose time was not yet and are not with us anymore.

To whom it may concern:


I found this manuscript in my Grandfather's papers after he died at ninety-eight. We were deeply touched by the work, and decided to have it published by Obscurus. This proved to be a problem as they refused to publish any work by a confirmed werewolf. Whizz Hard Books agreed to publish the work and the proceeds will be donated to the Werewolf Education Research Society. This fine organization is dedicated to relieving the symptoms of Lycanthrope and someday finding a cure. Anyone wishing to donate to this cause can do so by sending to the association via owl post, care of the publisher.


Newt Scamander Wrote to me shortly after my Grandfather's passing and expressed the following sentiment;


"Your Grandfather and I had planned to sit down and record his experiences with the Yukon centaur herd. He and your Grandmother were possibly the only wizard folk ever to successfully interact so closely with centaurs. This loss of anthropologic information on the social and personal habits of centaurs is a grievous one."


Mr. Scamander was a close friend of my Grandfather's before the trial. Afterwards, their correspondence was limited by my uncle. My Grandfather and Mr. Scamander had just re-established their friendship when Grandfather died.


Gramps was one of the kindest and most gentle people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He dearly loved his family and was always willing to lend a patient and sympathetic ear. Some of my fondest memories of childhood were in his garden. He was able to work some limited (wandless) magic, thereby saving him the trouble of weeding, thinning etc... I spent many happy hours with him in his greenhouse learning how to start plants early and to grow various plants out of season. He had adapted to using Muggle techniques in gardening on his own terms. I shall never forget watching him run from a vengeful Venomous Tentacula. The parent plant had been removed years before. Unfortunately, it had seeded the entire garden. The offspring of this plant seemed to be bent on exacting revenge on my poor Grandfather. Eventually my mother was able to successfully rid his garden of the pests.


My Grandfather's struggle with Lycanthrope was one that he never completely came to terms with. It had not only destroyed his life, but eliminated any future for him. Nor had he ever got over the loss of my Grandmother and Uncle Jacob (Jack). The fact that he might have been responsible in any way simply made the pain more difficult to bear. He-who-must-not-be-named added his own cruel twist to my Grandfather's purgatorial existence. The loss of my Mother was just one more burden on a crushed heart.


He-who-must-not-be-named finally gave my grandfather the gift he had most desired for seventy years. Most victims of the Dark Lord's favourite curse are found with various expressions of surprise and horror. My Grandfather's expression was that of serene joy. We found him in the same location as my mother with the Dark Mark shining once again above his house.


Yours in fellowship,


Dearborn Caradoc