Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blind by chocomaniac

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hi!
Last chapter.... hope you all enjoy it...
The Beginning
‘This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.’
- Winston Churchill


Rain. In my hair, on my face, soaking through my clothes to my skin. It was freezing that night, the harsh wind making my wet skin feel like ice. I hadn’t bothered with an umbrella. All I had on was jeans, boots, and only a thin jumper over my t-shirt. But why would I be bothered by that? It was just a storm after all, just a bit of rain.

My teeth chattered, my fingers were going numb. I had goose-bumps like mountain ranges all along my arms, the soaked jumper doing nothing to keep me warm. But still I sat under that tree, with rain falling through the leaves onto my head, plastering my hair to my head, the coldest shower I’d ever experienced. Just a bit of rain.

In my jeans pocket was my long-unused wand, sitting uncomfortably at an angle like it hadn’t since my first day at Hogwarts. How could it have become so natural to have it sit there? I could’ve used it to keep me dry, but at the time, I didn’t actually care. What difference would it make if I was dry?

I was so single-mindedly determined that day, so sure that he would come. I was willing to wait there all night if that’s what it took. He had to come. He had to love me. Shivering, I hugged my knees into my chest, not willing to contemplate what would happen if he didn’t.

It was so dark that night. And after a time, I began to realise that I was scared. I’d become afraid of a lot of things over the years, become weaker from being on my own. I’d never been scared with Harry, because he’d made me strong. I needed him. I needed him here, now. I couldn’t do it on my own anymore.

But what would happen if he didn’t come? Could I go back to who I was before? Not if he wasn’t there. I couldn’t be Hermione again, but I couldn’t be Hannah either, not after what had happened. I wanted to just sit here forever, letting my soul slowly wash away.

Just then, something caught my eye, and I whipped my head around. A figure was working its way through the dark graveyard, illuminating its path with a small beam of light. It hadn’t seen me yet. As it walked towards me, I could see that the figure was most definitely male. He turned his head, looking for something. I kept quiet, waiting.

I felt a sneeze building up behind my nose, and before I could do anything to try to stop it, my eyes snapped shut and my breath was knocked out of me. The figure quickly turned and walked towards me, and closer up, I could see his face, more familiar than my own, illuminated by the lit wand in his hand.

I was crying then, big, loud tears that really mean something. He’d come. He’d come for me. He must have heard me crying, because he started running, his face anxious.

‘Hermione? Hermione!’ He reached the tree, and knelt down next to me. He touched my arm, and the cold suddenly disappeared. ‘Hermione what’s wrong? Are you alright?’

I looked up at him, smiling. He looked a bit confused. I remembered then that I’d been taking the morphing potion, so that I’d look different when I was Hannah. He’d grown used to her, so that I was the stranger now.

‘God, Hermione, you’re so cold,’ he said, sitting down and bringing me into his arms. ‘What were you doing, sitting here in the rain?’

‘Waiting,’ I breathed, gasping through happy tears, ‘waiting for you.’

He looked at me for a moment, his mouth frozen in a strange sad smile, his eyes worried, concerned. He picked up his wand and muttered something under his breath. And even as he looked at me, his eyes changed from that strange blue-green I’d grown so used to, the colour melting away to reveal that deep bottle green that had haunted so many of my dreams.

‘Harry… I-’

‘Don’t you dare say sorry Hermione, because it’s not your fault. It was my fault, always was. I was so… so stupid.’ He looked bitter, scowling at the ground.

‘It was my fault too, Harry. I could have told you earlier.’

He looked up at me then, his face thoughtful. ‘You could have, but then I never would have stayed. I hate to say it, but I think I would have run if you’d told me any earlier.’

For a few minutes we just sat there, the rain falling around us, with Harry’s arm wrapped around me, keeping me warm. I felt myself relaxing into him, and I still fit there as well as I ever did.

‘Hermione… that night with Krum…did you- you didn’t…’ he trailed off, but I knew what he was asking. This must have been on his mind for years now.

‘I never wanted him, Harry. Well, I did at school, but not then. I was over him, and I had you. God, Harry, do you know how much I wished you hadn’t come in at that moment? But in some ways, I’m glad it happened. I met Gee, and I’ve realised how much I really needed you. I haven’t been myself for years, because you’re such a huge part of who I am.’

His hair was still brown, so strange, and yet so familiar. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my wand, and for a moment he looked concerned. As I whispered the incantation, the brown darkened until it turned to black, and it stuck up a bit at the back, so it looked just like it used to. Another spell caused a lightning scar to appear on his forehead, and he reached up to touch it, running over it with his fingers.

‘Much better,’ I said. ‘Now, where are those glasses?’

He pulled them out and put them on, smiling, and his happiness warmed both of us. Then his hand was on my neck, and he was leaning towards me. His lips on mine sent warm ripples through me, and I suddenly felt so alive. I kissed him back, making up for all those years I’d gone without him. His warmth was enough to make me remember how it felt to be truly happy, blissful even.

‘So, what now, Hermione?’ he asked as he pulled away. ‘What are we going to do?’

I didn’t even need to think. ‘I’m going back. I’ve rung my parents, I’ve told Gee, and the removalists are coming sometime this week. Also, I’ve been looking to change jobs for a while now, so I can sell the shop and start up in the Ministry or something. And I really want to see everyone again, especially Ron. I sent a letter before I left, but I never got the chance to explain to him why I had to go. Now’s the time, Harry. So I’m going back, and I’d really appreciate it if you came with me.’

‘Oh, I don’t know Hermione, it’ll just be so difficult to leave,’ he said teasingly. ‘But I’ll try to drag myself back to reality, so long as you’re going.’ He was talking as though they were discussing a trip to the shops.

‘Thankyou,’ I whispered, and I leant into him again as the rain slowed until it stopped and the night slowly faded into day. The brightness of the morning lit up the graveyard, and glancing behind me, I saw our initials carved into the tree. I felt uplifted in that morning, with the sun making the wet grass glisten, and the happiness that I felt rushing through every part of me. We were going back, together. And finally, after so many years, I could be myself without wanting to forget.









Well, there you have it! Finished! Yay!! As you can tell, I've had heaps of fun writing this, so I hope you've all enjoyed reading. If you have, leave me a nice little review to make me feel good, and if you haven't, tell me what I need to improve on. plz?

Luv ya all lots and lots,
chlo

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo