Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Thrice Defied by leighpotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: A wish I'm sure a lot of fanfiction writers here have made is to wake up one day and find that they are the person who gave Harry to the world. Well, I'm one of them. But sadly, no, I’m not J.K.Rowling and all the characters (again sadly) are hers! Harry, Ron, Hermione and everyone else are J.K.’s and I’m just a humble fan who wishes it were not so. But, alas…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHAPTER 1-Aboard the Hogwarts Express



James Potter reluctantly let go of his mother’s hugging arms and put on an embarrassed expression as he turned towards two of his favorite people in the world; Sirius Black and Remus Lupin, who were getting of the train, after dumping all their collective luggage, to say their goodbyes.

“Thanks, Mrs Potter, for everything,” said Remus, elbowing Sirius hard.

“Yeah, I guess that’ll be the last time I stay with you then. I’m of age now,” smiled Sirius, massaging his ribs. “Don’t do that again, Moony. You’re lucky there’s no one on the station. If a girl’d seen you hit me, I would have killed you,” Sirius added in a whisper. Remus grinned with satisfaction.

“Oh, don’t mention it, dears, it’s been a pleasure. We’ve loved having you,” replied Mrs Potter, dabbing her eyes.

From a distance, they heard the train, as the whistle blew. The last few people that were still on the station ran to the Hogwarts Express. James grinned; being last always made an impression.

“Well, time to go,” said James, rubbing his hands together, and grabbed Sirius and Remus by the necks. “See you, mum!”

And the three seventeen year old boys ran to the train, boarded it and waved madly behind them, just before the engine began to work. Then they realized something was missing.

“We did it again, didn’t we?”

James flung his head out of the window. The train was steadily gathering speed and alongside a short, fat boy ran in desperation.

“PETERRRR!” he whipped his head around, laughing. “What are we gonna do now?

Remus pushed his friend out of the way, pulled up his sleeves decisively and yelled with all his might.

“Transfigure! I can’t Accio something your weight!”

The teenage boy seemed horrified at the very idea but quickly complied. Apparently, the idea of remaining behind was more terrifying than changing illegally-and publicly (not to mention in broad daylight) - into an Animagus.

“Accio rat!”

The small rat zoomed happily into his outstretched palm. Remus dropped it on the floor, muttering ‘idiot’. There was a flash of pale light and, instead of a rat, the extremely short and fat boy stood, relief flooding his face.

“Ohhhh…thank God you remembered me!”

“You don’t know how pathetic that sounds, Wormtail.” Sirius shook his head.

“C’mon, let’s get a compartment!”

The four Marauders walked down the crowded corridor, occasionally hexing a Slytherin (James), chatting up a girl (Sirius), reciting incantations (Remus) or giggling uncontrollably for no obvious reason (guess!). A few doors from the empty compartment they’d unofficially declared their own, James stopped abruptly in front of an extremely pretty (and extremely annoyed) red-haired girl.

Lily Evans.

“Potter, we haven’t even got to Hogwarts yet and you’ve cursed half the school. You’ve beaten your own record,” she smiled dangerously.

“Thanks, Evans. But you didn’t have to come out here to congrat-”

“Do NOT even dare kid yourself, Potter.” Lily narrowed her eyes. “For your information, I’ve been made Head Girl and as soon as I’ve found out who is Head Boy with me, I’ll make sure you get your well-deserved, one-month detention.”

Remus and Sirius both grinned and looked away, snorting.

“Yeah, Evans I’m sure whichever git that’s become Head Boy will not dare stand up to me. You, on the other hand, might-”

But he was cut short by incredulous gasps.

“You are incredibly thick, Prongs.” Sirius rolled his eyes.

“This is the last time I’m telling you, James. You-God knows why-you-ARE-THE-NEW-HEAD-BOY!”

Two jaws dropped loudly. Then James turned back to Lily and grinned.

“Guess who you’re spending half the year with, Evans!”

Lily was about to answer scathingly when the nearest compartment door slid open and a voice said lightly:

“So you’re the two Heads. We’ve been looking for you the last ten minutes.”

A girl of about fifteen stood, leaning gently against the doorway, pushing her white blonde hair out of the way. Her sparkling eyes looked amused and it hit James how incredibly good-looking she was. She was tall, with a thin face that smiled mischievously. Her long hair was elbow-length and made her look strangely fairy-like.

“Hey, Narcissa. How’s my favourite cousin?” said Sirius, very sarcastically. Narcissa ignored him.

Lily was staring too; though not at the girl. She was definitely more interested in James’s expression. He’d only ever used when he looked at her, Lily. She scowled visibly.

“What do you mean we? Who’s we? And who are you? For that matter?”

“Oh, sorry, I haven’t introduced myself. Properly, at least,” the girl said, throwing a nasty look at Sirius. “I’m Narcissa. Narcissa Black. New Prefect.”

“Nice name. I’m Potter, James Potter,” said James with as much charm he could muster, shoving an angry Lily out of the way.

Narcissa looked startled for a moment; then, recovered and grinned.

“Oh, so James Bond, Potter. Lucky for you I’m the only one who knows what a movie is!” Lily pushed everyone out of the way and entered the Prefect compartment with Remus, who looked as though he, too, had just remembered his Prefect duties. James followed, his face alight.

“Jealous are we, Evans?”

Lily came to a dead stop. Remus put his hands to his eyes; James should have known better.

Lily turned, very slowly.

“Remember, Potter. You asked for it. STUPEFY!”

James fell, his last thoughts on Lily. Typically.


James tried opening his eyes. His glasses weren’t on, so everything seemed blurry, but he could tell they were still on the moving train. Before he got up, he made sure Lily was out of firing range. But it was only the rest of the Marauders. He sat up straight, holding his aching head.

“About time you got up, Prongs. You’ve been out of it for the past half hour,” said Sirius, smirking. “You should know better than to vex Lily within wand distance. Charms are her best subject.”

“Wha’ ‘appenned?” James moaned; full sentences weren’t to his ability just yet.

“Besides you fainting you mean?” Remus raised an eyebrow, while the others laughed their heads off. “Nothing much. Lily briefed the Prefects, we brought you here and we’ve been waiting for you to open your lovely eyes since.”

Only one word registered in James’s head.

“Where is Lily? Aren’t we supposed to patrol? Or something?”

“Well, she is patrolling. But it would be safer for you to stay put. She said she‘d come in anyway. Not that she’s concerned,” Remus assured James, as his expression brightened up. “She just can’t believe you made her lose control, first day as a Head.”

James’ hand immediately flew to his hair while the other dived into his pocket and took out the forgotten Snitch he’d ‘relieved’ the school from the year before. He might as well impress Lily with the skills that he had. Not that she would value the effort. She’d probably take more notice of the simple fact that he’d taken it not so legally.

The Snitch didn’t have to zoom too long, as the compartment door opened and Lily came in, looking as though she had to do something very unpleasant.

“You’re alive then?” She sounded highly disappointed.

“Yep. Didn’t manage to kill me off again. Maybe next time,” James replied cheerfully.

“Hmm… it would rid me and a good few others of your annoying little presence.” She sat next to Remus, who, incidentally, was nearest to the door and furthest from James. “Why do you embarrass yourself like that?”

“You know why, Evans. But you’re the one to talk about embarrassment. Forgotten last year, have we?”

“Oh dear God, don’t remind me,” Lily shuddered.

“But I had an excuse then,” James said, throwing the Snitch at Sirius.

“Too much stolen Firewhiskey hardly qualifies as an excuse for proposing to me in front of every student in Gryffindor.”

“You weren’t as drunk as me, Evans, and you actually said yes,” Prongs smiled at the memory.

“I said yes to Sirius, too! Do you really think I was the definition of sober? I probably would have accepted Malfoy if he’d asked!”

“Hey, should I take that as an insult?” Sirius raised his head indignantly.

Lily and James ignored him.

Lily took a deep breath. James was pleased to see how easily he got on her nerves. Someday she’d see how that was the foundation of a healthy relationship. Hopefully.

“Anyway, Potter. As you, unfortunately, are the Head Boy, I’ll have to try hard and keep my wand in my pocket. But, if, in any way, I come to the point of having to scream in your ears so your non-existent brain listens, I will go to Dumbledore and ask him to kill you.”

She got up, ready to leave, straightening her witch’s robes. James stood up too, opening the door for her, smiling.

“I always listen to you, Lily,” his voice became smoother, more mature.

Lily hid a small smile.

“Not as a child, James. As a grown up.” She closed the sliding doors.

“She’s right, you know,” said Remus, looking up from the Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7.

“Nah, don’t listen to Moony, Prongs. The serious James is cool, but the child in you is more fun.” said Sirius, still playing with the Snitch. “Now, will anyone explain to me what the heck a movie is?”


A/N: Wow! It’s done! First chapter’s ready for your reactions. Review please… I need support-it’s my first fanfic!
P.S. You’ll get to know more about the Firewhiskey incident soon enough. One of my brainwaves I must say- I’ll try and do a flashback! If I forget (in my anxiety to lay out the story) make sure to remind me. Review!