Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Thrice Defied by leighpotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 11- Head Detention

“Get a grip, Prongs. You’re prancing around like a ballerina again. Stop it, for Merlin’s bloody sake!”

James immediately sat down by the fire and pulled a face at Sirius. “I’m not prancing around like a ballerina,” he said hotly.

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes. You. Are.”

“Oh, shut up.”

James hid a grin behind a mock frown and shrugged, as though exasperated, at Remus who was watching with grim amusement. James noticed that his friend seemed rather pale today; a quick calculation told him tomorrow night was full moon. He parted his lips to cheer him up by reminding Sirius of his doggy adventure last month, when the portrait hole swung open and he was left wearing a silly smile on his face. Sirius took one look at him and groaned; you didn’t have to be a genius to realise who had just come into the Gryffindor Common Room.

Lily, seeing James, paused at the door, looking confused. A deep flush spread from her neck to her forehead and she turned her bright eyes to the floor, not wanting to meet James’s. He saw Alice elbowing her and muttering something in her ear. A laugh escaped Lily and the blush subsided. Together, they approached the lazy threesome.

“Hello, boys. What’re you doing? Where’s Peter?”

As Alice asked the question, James saw the other two turn their heads guiltily this way and that, as though only just remembering that their best friend was missing. But Sirius didn’t seem puzzled for too long.

“Detention, Vance. He got caught red-handed throwing a Dungbomb in Charms corridor,” he answered with a yawn. “Where’s Loony?” James heard the indifferent tone in Sirius’s voice but wasn’t fooled; Luna Davies might be slightly ‘bananas’ in her own right but it was plain Sirius had more than one soft spot for her. And this, in turn, led him to think of his own soft spot for Luna’s best friend, who was, right now, talking quietly with Remus about homework and carefully avoiding meeting eyes with him.

“Writing a subscription to this new magazine that’s just come out. The ‘Queerer’, or something...” Alice grinned and shoved Lily of the arm of Remus’s chair. Coincidentally she landed right next to James. Coincidentally.

“It’s the ‘Quibbler’, Alice. And don’t shove.”

“Fine, fine, same difference. And just try to say you didn’t want me to.”

“Want you to what?” Lily asked dangerously. James felt his own face grow hot “ something that hadn’t happened in “ well “ years. Sirius was sniggering like a fool again. Alice put on an innocent expression.

“Well, correct me, of course. What else?”

“Alice, sometimes, I swear...” Lily was shaking her head; a strand of red hair fell into James’s eye. He howled and Lily, horrified, leaned over him. James, not as hurt as it seemed, placed a hand over his eye and put on a brave face, considering how best to take advantage of the seating situation. Lily herself provided the answer; she pulled James’s hand away from his face and, with an expression of innocent, beautiful, godly-sent affection, she gently stroked his forehead. Somehow, James knew his painful eyesight scheme hadn’t fooled her; and yet, this made him all the more happy. He grinned. She carefully arranged her features and said nothing; her brilliantly green eyes, though, somewhat betrayed her.

“It doesn’t hurt that bad, Evans,” he murmured, the crackling fire making him heard by no one but her. She began to pull her arm away but he caught it and made her look at him. She seemed oddly frightened. James smiled and felt her relax slightly. Smiling too, Lily pulled her hand away and played with her hair.

“Potter “”

“Lily “”

They laughed nervously and caught Sirius’s attention. He rolled his eyes and whispered to the room in general, “They’ll be finishing each other’s sentences, if we’re not careful. It’s bad enough to see Prongs lovesick “ I’d hate o think what Evans looks like!” A well-aimed pillow shut him up. Lily and James joined the rest of the seventh years’ conversation, each privately thinking of the other.




“At seven, OK, Alice? And don’t bring Luna! Every time Sirius is near her, his tiny little brain can’t register any other information “ and we need to practice at some point!”

James followed Remus to their first lesson after Christmas, History of Magic, which was easily his least favourite. The two boys dragged their heavy bags across the floor and joined the flow of students who were as reluctant as they were to start school after a long holiday. James noticed with amusement that several girls were turning to watch them with a smile; ever since Sirius had publicly displayed his more-than-affection for Luna, most of the girls at Hogwarts had turned their attention to him and Lupin. Some other girls, meanwhile, were said to be found muttering mutinously in the bathrooms, plotting about ways to poison the lovely blonde. Lily was certainly found more often reprimanding female students for handling dangerous ingredients, most of which were found in the famous Amortentia.

“Hey, Moony“” James pulled Remus to a corner, away from the nosy students, ““it’s full moon tonight, right? Is it “ are you “ we are “ ?”

“Oh, pull yourself together, James.” Remus snapped impatiently at James’s usual yet stupid awkwardness with his ‘little furry problem’, as he chose to call it. “Yes, it is tonight, but,” here Remus himself looked uncomfortable, “I’m not so sure it’s a good idea to actually go on with it “ you remember what happened last time “ Sirius nearly got bitten!”

James tried to keep a straight face. It took all his will power to keep himself from exploding with laughter “ for about half a minute. After that, he burst out chortling, remembering how last month, Padfoot had attempted to entertain an enraged werewolf with his ingenious, so called ‘doggy tap-dance’.

“It is NOT funny! How would you like to have two friends in my position? It’s not all fun and games, James! Someone could get hurt! And I really do have a strange feeling about tonight “ so I think it’s better if, at least for this time, I’m on my own.”

James watched his friend’s reaction. “Look, Remus. We’ve been doing this since fifth-year and we’re not about to stop now. So drop it. We’re with you whatever happens and no number of warnings from you will make us forget that!” Remus smiled gratefully. “So, when is Madam Pomfrey taking you?” James couldn’t be bothered to argue for too long; so he made sure he won by changing the subject in a trice. Remus didn’t bother arguing any longer.

“Taking you to your tree house, wolf-boy?” said a whispered, sneering voice. The two Marauders threw a murderous look at Severus Snape, who had followed them to their class. His long nose was raised haughtily; it took James all his self-control (and Remus’s strong grip on his shoulder) to stop himself from pouncing.

“Yeah, is there a problem, Snivellus? ?” snapped James, always ready to pick a fight with his longtime rival. “’Cause if there is,” he twirled his wand in a caring manner in front of Snape’s overlarge nose, “I’m sure I’ll be able to help you with it.”

“Just one more reason my revenge will be sweeter, Potter…You’ll see…all of you will. I’ll make you pay “ for everything. And I swear it will hurt “ I swear I’ll laugh at the sight of you!” and with that Snape ran before James’s curse managed to reach him, leaving the other two pondering at his words.

“What do you think he meant by that?”

“I don’t know,” answered James truthfully. “But he sounded strangely overconfident, didn’t he? For the grime-licking sniveler that he is. Anyway, what time did you say Pomfrey will come get you?”

“After your Quidditch practice, I think.” Then, Remus noticed that the corridor was strangely quiet. “Oh no…”

James checked his watch. The hands showed twenty minutes past nine. He grinned and Remus shook his head.

“What time did History of Magic start?”

“Nine.”

“Damn. Still. Wonder what it looks like when a ghost’s got his knickers in a twist?” An elbow thrust itself in James’s shoulder. “Ow!”




Lily watched Quidditch practice, utter boredom etched on her face. A match she could stand “ she could feel the excitement, the thrill, but this was a complete waste of time. But Alice had wanted her there so they could go to the Library together and finish their Herbology essay. Lily cursed. If only she’d said no, then she would be in the warm Common Room with Luna “ who was an expert on plants “ giving her advice on the flesh-eating Moonflower. She shook her head and smoothed out the Muggle Times that was on her lap; unlike most of her Muggle-born friends, she liked being updated on both worlds. Soon, she was lost reading an article on a missing Muggle family somewhere in Yorkshire.

She checked her watch, yawning. It was ten to nine. Well, now she had an excuse ready made. And they would all have to follow. She stood up from the stands and waved madly for someone’s attention. Unfortunately for Lily, she caught the attention of the two people that she most definitely did not want. Nathaniel and James.

“What’s up, Evans?”

“Hey, Lil “ what d’you want?”

She bit her lip into a nervous smile, which they both returned before looking daggers at each other.

“Erm, well, it’s nearly nine, so if those who have the necessary power“” she glanced meaningfully at James, “want to show they’re responsible, they should send their team to the castle, unless they’re looking for a group detention.” She smiled again and the two boys rushed to their team with identical shrewd expressions.

Lily waited for Alice “ though she doubted whether they would be able to manage the homework tonight. Alice looked completely exhausted. She couldn’t blame her. James had insisted on two hours of practice non-stop in order to get ready for their last match, which hopefully would bring Gryffindor top of the table and with a good chance for the Cup.

“I’m sorry, Lily. I don’t think I’ll be able to concentrate on evil-smelling sunflowers tonight. I’ll try to get it done before breakfast. But now, I’m soo “ (a yawn) “ ooo tired!”

Lily agreed that her friend needed rest and promised she would find Luna’s essay and copy it well-enough for both of them. She said her goodnights to the rest of the team and, receiving a smile from each Nat and James, she left for her final shift of patrol until eleven. After that, Professor Flitwick would take over. She stepped out of the portrait hole and two seconds later, James appeared at her side.

“Stop right there, Potter. We haven’t taken to stalking the unwilling victim now, have we?” She purposely kept a blank face; actually, her stomach churning pleasantly. She pressed a cold hand on her cheek and felt it burning up.

James did not even pretend to listen. He didn’t even seem to notice her hot face. He opened his mouth nervously and started balancing oddly on his feet, something that he did only when he felt uncomfortable “ which, admittedly, did not happen often.

“I “ eh “ what are you doing out here?”

Lily raised her eyebrow in question. Then she said with as much sarcasm as she could muster. “Erm, well, I’m patrolling.”

Comprehension dawned on James’ face. Then it turned into another nervous sort of understanding. “You can’t do that “ not tonight. We agreed that I would do full moon nights.”

“Yes, well, since you left, McGonagall had to change the Prefects shifts and mine so I got tonight.” She looked at him, suspiciously. “Why? Why tonight?” Her voice betrayed what was going on in her mind. Her stomach was now bubbling nervously. She hoped her gut feeling was wrong.

“Oh, nothing,” he flapped his hand airily, in a way that would fool no one. “I just like it “ when “ er “ the moon…you know!”

“No, I don’t, Potter, and I have to say I am intently interested in what you, of all people, find striking in the m “ Sev “ Snape! What are you doing here?”

James turned sharply, cricking his neck by the sound of it, to throw a disgusted look at Severus Snape, who had just emerged from the corner. He too looked amazed at the sight of the two Gryffindors. He stood a little away, wary eyes watching.

“I “ none of your business, Evans.” His eyes were trying to avoid searching Lily’s. She kept her face blank, confusion mounting.

“It is my business if a student is roaming out of their House at quarter to ten at night, Snape. What are you doing?” Lily placed her hands on her hips. James copied her ridiculously.

“Yeah, Snivellus, what are you doing?” James said, stressing the word ‘what’ in a dangerous and, somehow, knowing way.

“Checking for vermin, Potter. You, know rats, cats, things from the forest. I’ve heard that even wolves get in at times.” Snape said decisively. Lily had a feeling he knew exactly what he was looking for.

“Look, I don’t care what you were, apparently, searching for, Snape, but you are out after hours so a detention is due. Even if you’re a Prefect you have to follow schedule. You’re not due to patrol tonight. Follow me to the Prefects Quarters. You, Potter, go to bed.”

James looked alarmed. “Er, Lily, why don’t I give him detention and you can go back to the Common Room? I mean, there’s no need “”

“There’s no need to risk you bringing him back in box, either. I can deal with it, Potter. Don’t make me give you detention. That’s something I really do not want to do. A Head Boy in detention would not give a good example.” Lily signalled to Snape to follow her. He did, while whispering audibly.

“I fear this is going to be the first time a Head Girl does give detention to the Head Boy. What a shame “ especially for Gryffindor.”

“You watch your mouth, Snivellus! Don’t go spreading any lies!”

And with that inscrutable comment, James left.




“We can’t go then. At least, not tonight. It would be mental.” Peter whispered in the dark of the room, as James described to him and Sirius the incident with Snape.

“It’s not going that would be mental! Don’t you remember last year, during exams, when we didn’t go and Remus scratched himself to pieces? He nearly got himself killed!” James retorted angrily, in a voice that nearly woke the sleeping Avery and Tiberius.

He didn’t have an answer for that. But then Peter offered another opinion.

“If “ if Lily did find us, do you think, maybe, she would “”

“No.” answered James. He knew Lily only too well to understand that if a situation like that arose, she would go by the rules, without a second thought. And if Snape got to her, as he sometimes, inexplicably, did... Only if they explained to her, would she consider. But no, that was out of the question. They couldn’t betray Remus’ trust for anything “ not unless he specifically asked them to. And even then…

“Well, we do have the Cloak. And we’re not called the Marauders for nothing. So, let’s cross our fingers and hope for the best.” Sirius shot out of bed and the others, resigned to his eternal optimism, followed.

Ten minutes later and they were safely in the Shrieking Shack, or as safe as you can be when in the company of newly transformed werewolf. Fearful of bumping into any teachers that Lily might have summoned, the Marauders stayed inside, rat, dog, stag and wolf.

For a whole four hours, the Marauders forgot everything that was on their minds and instead, let their animal instincts prevail. At around five o’ clock in the morning, when the sun started rising, Remus finally transformed from a hungry wolf to a tired seventeen-year old.

“You three had better get to the dormitory before Snape gets the chance he’s been waiting for.” He shooed them out but pulled James back for a moment. “James, be careful. Don’t ruin it all with Lily now. Use the Map.” James frowned.

“I will, Moony.”

“She never hated you, James. Don’t give her an excuse to start now,” Remus whispered, eyes concerned. “You know what will happen.” James avoided his gaze and walked away, following the distant howls Sirius was making as he chased the rat that was Peter.

The remaining three headed for the castle, laughing and shouting about their midnight adventure. Just before they reached the portrait hole, James took off the Invisibility Cloak and had started folding it up along with the Marauder’s Map when he found himself in front of an outstretched wand.

“Uh oh,” Sirius sniggered humourlessly.

“You said it, Black,” answered Lily.




“I have never been more ashamed of being Head of the Gryffindor house. And moreover, I have never been more ashamed of having both Head Boy and Girl from Gryffindor. To think that the Head Girl caught the Head Boy out of bounds, it is “ unthinkable! It is humiliating! And, unfortunately it results in giving three students a heavy detention, while extracting one hundred and fifty points from their House. And “ ”, here McGonagall breathed in and towered over James dramatically, ““ and in relieving the Head Boy in question from his duties. I have nothing more to say, except that Gryffindor’s chances in winning the House Championship this year rely solely on the Quidditch team’s performance. And even they are slim.”

James felt wretched after having replayed the scene in McGonagall’s room once again in his mind. Gryffindor lose the House Championship! And him, the Head Boy, at fault! He rubbed his hands on his face, feeling sick. He didn’t blame Lily “ not in the least. All his animosity targeted Snape. What wouldn’t he do to get his hands on that son of a…but no. He would have to control his anger. He’d been in detention and he’d lost points before, but never at this scale. And his badge…he didn’t honestly care about that either. It was Lily’s face that he cared about, when he’d handed the badge over to McGonagall. Stony, without an ounce of emotion and in total agreement with the professor’s words. And when she’d accidentally made eye contact with him on the way to the Common Room, she had looked disgusted and ashamed.

He felt himself laughing at absurdity of it all. The irony, honestly…a Head Boy in detention…well, no, a Head Boy no more…




In the room next to his, though he wasn’t to know, a girl was crying silently. Lily wiped her tears angrily as she thought of James. He had promised her. And he had broken his promise. And now she knew how much it hurt, she realised just how much that promise had meant to her.

A/N: And, yes, after possibly a million years I have updated - (*waits patiently for applause - applause doesn't come*) Oh, well, I suppose I shouldn't expect too much...But, in my defence, exams are three months and twenty-something days away (*feeling faint, hands tremble, possible anxiety attack on the way*) and applications to Universities have been sent. Also, I'm a little ill (*coughs and chokes pointedly*) but, again, excuses, excuses...!!! Anyhow, chapter is done and awaits your reaction - pretty please leave a review!!!???