Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Thrice Defied by leighpotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 12- Firewhisky and Rain

A week had already passed and the aftermath of James’ renowned capture, detention and his no longer Head Boy status still caused sensation. Not that it bothered him too much. As far as Lily could see, there had been no change in him. He was still the cocky seventeen-year old he always had been; he was even seen accepting congratulations from some other troublemakers. The only thing that had changed slightly was the way fellow Gryffindors approached him; after all he had lost them a considerable number of points and they were therefore last in the running for the Championship. But, despite that, they acknowledged his quiet work for the Quidditch team and the way the Marauders were being so unusually rule-abiding.

Only Lily had not forgiven him. Since the night she had caught him, Peter and Sirius she had not said a word to him; she had not even spared him a glance. There was no need to anyway. He was no longer Head Boy and McGonagall’s consideration of demoting him to a Prefect found only objection with Lily. So they spent none of their extra time together. Lily, in fact, took great care in making sure she avoided him as much as she possibly could. Her temper had always been at the brink when it came to Potter; the midnight incident just proved he couldn't change. Not even for her.

Lily now stared out of the window of the Owlery, without really seeing anything at all, her eyes a little bloodshot from the tears she had been fighting all week. Who would have known last year that Lily Evans would be crying over James Potter? Unwillingly, her mind drifted to their sixth year when they were still sworn mortal enemies that made each other laugh with their witty remarks and drunken comments. The Quidditch Final and the party afterwards...the first time she'd tasted Firewhisky...Potter's innocent and embarrassing marriage proposal...and - No. It would do no good to remember anything that happened after that. Lily shut her eyes and took a deep breath. It was all over now. Anything more that had been shared this year would have to be forgotten. She sighed and patted the small tabby cat that was mewing at the windowsill.

“…Put me in all the detention you want, Lily, but compared to what Potter will get, it will be nothing! Out of bounds after midnight, I doubt it can get much worse…” Lily remembered Snape’s words. She hadn’t believed him at first; she’d even laughed as she lay in bed thinking of them. He had always been jealous of James for some reason. But, then, just before she fell asleep, she’d decided to call James with her wand and when he hadn’t answered… why, why did he have to do that now? What an idiot he was! What a stupid, inconsiderate, arrogant pig-headed...There was no need to finish that sentence. It was pretty obvious exactly what Potter was.

She looked at her watch; it was nearly nine, she should get back and do some homework, she hadn’t done anything all day. As soon as she walked out of the musty room and picked up the disappointed kitten, she felt the familiar vibration of her wand. She sighed and headed to the Prefects’ Room, where Remus - the new Head Boy - was most likely to be. She yawned widely as she opened the creaking door - and stopped abruptly as she realized who had called her. Hot-headed anger boiled up in her chest; she felt the need to strangle something. Preferably someone. The someone who was in front of her.

“You!”

Potter stood up to prevent her from running out of the room, grabbing her from both wrists (Marmalade had jumped from her arms and ran away) and reminding her forcibly of another time when he’d done the same - with very different results.

“Oh, no, don’t get any ideas, Potter! You’ve caused enough trouble to me as it is! Stay AWAY!” Lily backed away, with a look of disgust. She noticed despite herself that he seemed a little less groomed than usual; his hair was disheveled and his chin was a little stubbly. But she didn't really care about his stubbly chin; unless you counted as caring the fact that she wouldn't mind throwing a punch at it. Ah, he was infuriating even when he was flustered!

Potter heeded her words and walked back to sit on the chair, where, not so long ago, they had been laughing about the new Slytherin passwords. He swallowed and looked up at her pleadingly. She took no notice; she just gazed at him, trying not to hex him.

“I’m sorry.”

Anger flooded through her again. “I’m sorry? That’s what you have to say? I’m sorry? An apology? Well, if that’s the case, I should be apologizing, too!” She seemed quite demented.

James watched, uncomprehending and a little afraid. “You? Why? Lily, no-”

"Do NOT call me LILY!"

"But your name is-" James seemed utterly lost. Honestly, his stupidity sometimes surpassed his ability to annoy her. She ground her teeth loudly.

"I know perfectly well what my name is, Potter!"

"But then, what-?"

"Forget it! What do you want?!"

James sobered up at once; he even looked a little worried . “Lily, I want to explain, I really do, what happened the other night was completely out of my hands but...It was me, only me! I’m the one who should apologize, not you! I’m sorry that I can’t explain, but it’s not for me to decide! I could hurt somebody else if I do!” James whispered, his voice, though barely audible, clearly begging.

“Oh, of course, the usual excuse! ‘Oh, yes, Lily, I would tell you, but it’s not up to me, it has nothing to do with me!’ Well, guess what, Potter! I don’t care! For all I care, you could have been saving orphan werewolves from almost certain death! But no, I don’t-want-to-know!” Lily continued to shout, not paying the least attention to James’ horrible flinch to the word “werewolf”.

“Lily, please, I didn’t want this, you know I didn’t. You know why! Lily, I-”

“NO! NO!” Lily’s tears stung her eyes but she wouldn’t let them come. “NO! I AM NOT LILY TO YOU! AND YOU-YOU AREN'T James!" She was almost screaming, beside herself with anger. Her mouth clamped shut though as soon as she saw James stand up with an unreadable expression on his face. She backed away, afraid he might attempt another wrist-grabbing, kiss-ensuing move. But he stayed right in his place, watching her with wary eyes.

"This thing," he muttered finally, his voice threatening to break with all the bottled up tension, "this thing is just an excuse for you, isn't it?"

"What are you-?" She tried to interrupt but he didn't let her. His raised hand silenced her faster than a Silencing Charm.

"We've been in each other's company for more than half a year, you've seen me and my mates act like prats more times than I can remember, you've threatened me with a full-week's worth of detention despite the fact that I was then still Head Boy but as soon as this happens, you avoid me, you don't talk to me, you act like you couldn't care less! And I can't help but wonder whether this is just some kind of pathetic attempt to lie to yourself, to try and lull yourself into a false sense of security!" His eyes were darker than she had ever seen them before; she shivered.

"Potter, what on earth-?"

"Have you forgotten what happened before Christmas?" Lily flinched, she couldn't help it; the memory of what had happened under the mistletoe was still vivid. Too vivid than it should be. She struggled to keep her face passive. James ignored her silence. "Or what about what happened just a few days ago? Or, last year even, when-"

"Potter," she cut him short before he could continue, "what is the point of all this? Whatever happened-"

"Whatever, she says!" James sneered uncharacteristically.

"Whatever happened, has nothing to do with your stupid little stunt that night!"

"It has everything to do with my 'stupid little stunt' that night! Or rather, with your reaction to it!"

Lily's eyes were slits; she felt her heart beat rather fast. "Potter, I swear..."

"Seven years I've been after you, Lily! Seven! And the most I've ever got from you is that I'm an arrogant toerag! But now-"

"But now?" Her voice was quiet, a thinly veiled threat. She dared him to continue. James looked at her once more, hesitating.

"I think you're starting to feel the same." His voice was barely more than a soft breeze but it knocked the air out of Lily's lungs. She stared at him, mouth opening and closing like a fish. Of all the pompous, conceited things in the world...She barely registered the fact that he had moved closer, that he was now right at the door. She had an impulse both to stop him from leaving and to help him get the hell out with a kick at the rear. But she did nothing. The last thing she heard was his voice.

“You’re wrong, by the way. You’re wrong. You’ll always be Lily to me.”

Lily waited until she heard the door close. Then, she walked to the almost bare shelves and threw everything at the door. Her heart was still beating too fast.






"Go away, Potter! This is near bordering obsession! Why do you constantly have to be within three feet of me?"

"Erm, wait, I know this one! Is it, maybe, possibly- though it's a long-shot - because we...share this bloody Common Room?"

The sarcasm in James's voice caused Lily to momentarily stare at him, wide-eyed and open-mouthed. Then she recovered to full potential. She stood up and felt her eyes narrow to slits. A chill ran through the room in general; it was almost midnight and luckily only the Gryffindor seventh-years were in the Common Room. Still, it was audience enough and they had the sense to begin backing away as Lily and James began one of their famous fights. Alice and Luna remained at Lily's side, as did Sirius and Remus on James's. Peter seemed to have vanished, yet again.

"Don't use that language in front of me!"

"I'll use what language I damn well please, Evans!" At his right, Remus and Sirius exchanged a glance; James's tone was uncharacteristically bitter.

"Not while I'm here you won't!"

"Fine then! I'll do it somewhere where it won't bother you or your dainty little ears!" James stood up as well, nose inches away from Lily's face. Their eyes met and they both gulped at the same time. He because, as always, felt his breath catch at the realisation of how beautiful Lily really was and how close her body was to his. She because the now familiar indistinguishable beats of her heart were doing a marathon right now as she fully appreciated James's height over hers; he could pick her up as almost no weight at all, it seemed. Then the truth of their situation sank in again. James's eyes behind his round glasses flashed as all thoughts of Lily's beauty were replaced by just how bloody annoying she could get and Lily's blazed green as once again the boy in front of her proved how much of a 'damn well' conceited pig he was. She leaned in closer and whispered.

"Good riddance then."

"Same here," sneered James, lowering his head to her height. To anyone remotely unfamiliar with their situation it might have seemed as though they were about to kiss. "Same here," he repeated, as though trying to convince himself. "Good riddance, Evans. To bad rubbish." He felt himself shudder at the lie he was murmuring.

Lily blinked and fought back her own shiver at the coldness of his words. "To bad rubbish, indeed. Potter," she added spitefully. "The feeling's mutual, trust me."

"Oh, I do!" James started, an insanely fake grin plastered on is face. "Implicitly!"

"Oh, go fly a broom, Potter!"

"Oh, go read a book, Evans!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

"I'll do just that!"

"Good!"

"Good!"

"Good!"

"GoodBYE, POTTER!" A distant slamming sound was heard and Lily disappeared from James's sight. He turned around to those who had stayed behind and they all instinctively drew themselves back. He scowled at them and mirrored Lily, climbing the boys' staircase and swinging the door unceremoniously shut.

"Well, that went well," muttered Sirius, raising his eyebrows at Remus. A well-aimed push threw him of his chair and shut him up.






James adjusted the Invisibility cloak over his tall and lanky figure, so Professor Slughorn (who, at the moment, was taking his time in choosing which pineapple piece to eat, in the middle of the Entrance hall) would not notice him trying to escape to the school grounds. After five minutes (and after the teacher had stuffed at least ten pieces of pineapple in his mouth), James felt it was safe for him to open the doors and head for the open Quidditch pitch, with his broom over his shoulder. He breathed in the frosty air and shuddered; though not because of the cold. It was his way of releasing all the tension; and he had a lot of tension bottled up inside him.

As soon as he was safely away from any prying eyes he folded the Cloak away and put it in his pocket, while getting on his broom. As he rose into the air, he forgot for a while everything that lay heavy on his mind and focused solely on flying; the only thing about his life he could take for granted and could always rely on. Everything else was uncertain; everything…He flew over the dark pitch, inwardly thanking Remus for keeping a blind eye on his late night flight. Looking at the stands, images unbidden came in front of him; Lily cheering him from the stands, Lily coming to meet him after the match, Lily holding his hand in hers…

“Get a grip, Potter,” James said sharply to himself. It was stupid. It was so stupid! Why? Why of all the girls in Hogwarts he had to go and, and, and what? Like? Love? Adore? Worship? Infatuate himself? And with her! Obsession was right. He obsessed himself with things he couldn't and wouldn't ever have. And Lily Evans definitely made the top of that list. In fact, he thought, as he swerved skillfully around the goal hoops, she was probably the only thing on the bloody list.

"Dammit!" he yelled, punching the wind and nearly toppling over his broom. "Damn!" Frustration leaked through him. What a bloody awful day. What a bloody, awful, disgusting, stupid, worthless, annoying, effing bloody da-!

"Bloody hell!" James muttered again as he felt the cold drops of rain fall on his long nose. What had he done to the world? Wasn't he getting punished enough? He flew higher and narrowed his eyes, pulling out his wand. "Impervius!" The rain around him started avoiding him altogether. He gave himself a small grin. He'd finally mastered that spell. As he flew over the stands he remembered how difficult he'd found the spell last year. It was at the Quidditch final that he'd actually managed to pull it off. Another smile twitched at the corners of his lips as he remembered last year's final. He could remember everything about that night, even though he’d hit the drink hard. He laughed aloud. It wasn’t only him that had got smashed…






"Sirius, watch it! There are sensitive products in that box!" James whispered to his best friend and gestured to speed up, a ridiculously happy grin on his face.

And anyway, why shouldn’t he smile; they’d just won the Quidditch Final and were getting ready for the traditional party at Gryffindor House. Though maybe not so traditional; last year the drinks had consisted exclusively of Butterbeer and pumpkin juice. This year, though, James and Sirius had decided to liven things up a bit. How? By simply relieving the Three Broomsticks and the Hog’s Head of some of their most precious items: twenty four bottles of single malt Firewhisky - whatever that meant. James took out the Marauders’ Map and studied it. It looked as though every Slytherin was in their Common Room, probably moaning and venting their spleen on Malfoy; he’d really outdone himself on the pitch. The rest of the students were safely tucked into bed but the teachers…now that might be a problem.

"Quick, Cloak, Flitwick!"

It took a moment for Sirius to assess the situation but eventually he managed to lean against the wall with the precious crateful of bottles in his arms and cover himself with the Invisibility Cloak. The two boys waited with baited breath while the tiny Professor tottered past them, muttering something about 'innocent children having fun'. As soon as he was out of sight, the boys took off the Cloak and sniggered silently, having no doubt that the innocent children were ecstatic Gryffindors.

"OK, work now, fun later," whispered James and beckoned Sirius to follow him. They turned a corner, still having a silent laugh, when they bumped into another loaded Gryffindor.

"What the effing hell-? Frank!" exclaimed Sirius delightedly at their fellow team player. "Hey, you’re already carrying the food, I’m sure a tiny box wouldn’t do your figure any harm!" And he dumped the Firewhisky on Frank Longbottom’s already unsteady arms. The tall, round-faced boy stumbled slightly under the weight and mouthed something at Sirius. His breath was so caught in his chest, though, that the only thing James and Sirius could make out was a weak mumble.

"Alice won’t be too happy about that," James pointed out.

"Well then you can try carrying that much illicit drink to a school! You’ll enjoy it I’m sure!"

James grinned but didn't answer. Frank couldn’t take part in the conversation if he’d wanted to; he was groaning with weight he was carrying. The two Marauders continued to argue as they finally reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, paying as much notice to Frank as they would have to a fly. After they yelled the password to their sleepy portrait, they leaped into the crowded Common Room, where they were greeted with enthusiastic yells and cheers.

"Where’s Frank?" Alice Vance demanded with her eyes narrowed.

"Ah."

"Well, you see, Alice-"

"Oh, you idiots, are you completely useless?" Alice was frantic as she ordered some fourth-years to run to Frank’s aid. Another girl came into their direction, her arms crossed. Lily Evans was not happy.

"What is in that crate, Potter?" she asked, always quick on the uptake.

"Er - I - erm - what?" James answered with a guilty and hardly-suppressed grin.

"I
said what - is - in - the - crate?" she got closer, absent-mindedly fingering her Prefect badge.

James gulped, while desperately signaling at Sirius to hide the drinks. In a flash, Padfoot grabbed one of Dr Filibuster’s rockets that they had ordered the day before and, within seconds, the room resembled a Muggle carnival. Desperately, James searched for Sirius, leaving Lily doing the same thing.

"Sirius?!" The tall black-haired and now ashen-faced boy looked up, grinning, and mouthed something incomprehensible. James frowned as he tried to distinguish the words. "What?!" Sirius repeated the movements but stopped abruptly as Lily reappeared.

"Where is that crate, Sirius?"

"Absolutely haven’t the foggiest of what you’re talking about, Lil! Want a drink? Pumpkin juice? Or Butterbeer?" Sirius gallantly offered both. Lily, after watching his reactions, accepted some juice. Her expression looked surprised as she tasted it.

"It’s “ different." She concluded, sipping some more.

"Nice different?" Sirius asked mischievously.

"Mmm," was Lily’s only answer, as she poured herself some more.

James raised an eyebrow and offered himself a glass. Realization hit as he tasted the alcohol. “Lily, no, don’t “”

"Come now, James. Don’t spoil Evans’ evening with your antics. Let her have her fun!" Sirius said meaningfully. He leaned closer. "I doubt she’s had this before. She’ll be out of it in no time and then the party can go on freely. Might give Moony a taster…" he added thoughtfully, watching Remus chatting to a fellow Prefect with a frown on his face.

"Ahuh…" replied James, drinking his third 'pumpkin juice'.

Two hours later and the Gryffindor Common Room brought anything to mind other than a school. First, second and third years who, initially, had not been permitted entrance were now throwing up generously after their first contact with alcohol. Older girls were singing loudly (and badly) Celestina Warbeck’s latest hits while Sirius conducted them with his wand. The seventh-year students (who had found out quickly where the booze was hidden) were a little more in touch with the world, though not enough to come up with an idea to control the situation.

"I’ve put a spell on-hic-you, thrown in a love potion or-hic-twoooo…"

"Merlin, do they sing bad!" James yelled unnecessarily; Lily had fallen dizzy on his lap. She looked up and tried to get her bearings, without success. She made another effort and, this time, she managed a sitting position; again on James’ lap.

"You - you’re…" she gave a giggle that didn’t suit her, "James…ha-ha!"

"Yup, that’s me! James Potter, wizard extraordinaire! Oops!" he had tried to get up, forgetting Lily was sitting on him. They both slid on the floor, hopelessly laughing.

"Nothing a good jinx-hic-can’t undoooo…"

"Lily?"James sounded dozy.

"Yup?" Lily giggled again.

"Will you-hic-whoa!" Sirius had thrown himself on James after conducting the girls completely off tune.

"Hey, mate! I feel funny, don’t you?"

"It’s probably - hic - the Firewhisky!"

"What whisky? I only drank juicy juice!" Sirius and Lily both replied. Lily was overcome with laughter.

"Why you laughing?" Sirius asked accusingly. The girl shrieked even louder. "She sounds like my mum. She screeches like that all the bloody day long!"

"Watch it, Black! Don’t-hic-insult her!"

"Oh, right, you’re in
lurve with her! I bet she likes me more," Sirius added thoughtfully.

"What - hic - makes you say that?" James was genuinely interested.

"Look. Hey, Lily?" The girl turned, hiccoughing now. "Will you maaary me?" sang Sirius. She blinked and screeched with laughter again, nodding. James approached her indignantly.

"Lily," and his voice was surprisingly smooth and steady (considering he had already drunk half the quantity of Firewhisky that had been mixed with pumpkin juice), Lily Evans, don’t listen - hic - marry
me!"

Lily’s giggling subsided and she was watching James as he tried to keep his kneeling knee from collapsing. Then she offered him her hand and said with an oddly-knowing voice: "Of course, James Potter."

James gave a huge grin and Sirius, realizing he wasn’t the centre of attention anymore, stood up and heaved his friend in his arms, shouting with all his might: "But
I’ll be best man!"






Lily watched James flying, hidden behind the curtains of her window; she hadn’t noticed him at first - the Quidditch pitch being on the other side of the castle - but the boy soon flew purposely towards Gryffindor tower. She sat herself more comfortably on the windowsill and hugged her knees, sighing. Her eyes fluttered towards the window, searching for Potter through the rain. She couldn't see him anymore; perhaps he had returned to the Quidditch pitch. She smiled slightly to herself; she'd noticed how the raindrops had all fallen away from James. He must have used 'Impervius!'. She remembered teaching last year's Gryffindor team that spell to deflect the rain. She also remembered quite vividly the aftermath of the final. The Firewhisky, Celestina Warbeck's awful songs, Sirius asking her to marry him and James...Oddly, the fact that James proposed didn't linger in her mind. What had happened after that she was significantly more aware of.

She twisted around, looking at the dormitory. It hadn't happened in this room but in the boys' dormitory. She remembered every second...






The low rumble of snoring could be heard along with the rising and falling of someone's breathing chest. James felt himself stir and grudgingly made himself wake up, if only because what he assumed to be a foot was now tickling his ear. He wrenched open his eyes and rotated his head to the right where, sure enough, Sirius's big foot was not letting him sleep. He sat up slowly, aware of the dull throbbing pain in his temples. As his eyes adjusted to the faint light coming through the windows, he took in the scene around him. Every single Gryffindor seemed to be peacefully sleeping in the Common Room, one on top of the other, all either on the floor or hanging of the edge of an armchair. He gave a small smile and massaged his stiff neck.

Though he was dead tired, the thought of falling asleep on the floor again and the possibility of finding himself with more than Sirius's foot all over his face made up his mind for him. He would go to the sixth-years' dormitory and sleep quietly in his bed, more comfortable and relaxed than any of the silly sods in here. He pushed his glasses up his nose and felt his way to his legs that someone was apparently using as a pillow. A mane of thick long hair got tangled in his fingers and a waft of a sweet flowery scent floated to him. He froze. He knew that scent. That meant that the person lying sleepily beside him was none other than-

"Lily?" he whispered. A low groan told him his guess was right. He patted his jean pockets and pulled out his wand, casting light over Lily's sleeping figure. His heart thudded dully in his chest. "Stop that," he muttered to himself.

Now what was he going to do? He had to get up - a cramp was already forming on his backside - but he didn't want to disturb her. Also, he couldn't help but notice that most of the people surrounding Lily were boys - and the thought of leaving her alone among them made him ground his teeth. There was nothing for it; he would have to take her up to her own dormitory. Surprisingly - for this wasn't something he experienced often - he felt himself cringe at the thought of holding Lily in his arms.

After a few minutes of struggle - Lily had apparently had so much drink that she wasn't fully conscious but was fit enough to punch him blindly - James managed to pull himself upright, holding Lily gently between his arms. He caught his breath as she moved - but relaxed almost immediately as he realised she was just nestling closer to him. He carefully made his way through the rest of the sleeping students, stumbling only slightly not because of Lily's weight - she felt like a feather - but because he couldn't make out whose limbs were where. The problem struck him as he stood in front of the stairs of the girls' dormitory. Of course! How was he going to get her to her room? The stairs turned into a slide when boys climbed it. Sirius had proven this on a number of occasions. James cursed Godric Gryffindor at that moment; were boys so untrustworthy?

He glanced down and felt his anger melt away as he watched Lily breathe slowly. Her red hair was stuck onto her face and her eyes were hidden behind their eyelids but she was still beautiful. Still an angel...Of course, when she woke up, she wasn't much of an angel - especially when talking to him - but right now...he could stare at her forever...James shook himself. What was he doing? He could stare at her forever? For a long time maybe but staring at someone forever - particularly a someone who hates you - was most politely called stalking. He sighed. What should he do now? He considered depositing her on the floor again but dismissed the idea instantly, not least because he could not stand the idea of her being so far away. He scowled at himself; there was only one thing he could and would do. There were no other boys in his room, he tried to persuade himself, and there was no way he'd do anything to Lily even if he was drunk. He looked down at her again and felt dizzy. Damn her, he thought. How could she do this even when she was sleeping?

He barely struggled a step as he climbed the staircase to the boys' dormitory. At last he reached his open bedroom and lay the sleeping Lily on his bed after a moment of hesitation. Then, feeling only a little foolish, he pulled the bedcovers over her, tucking her in like a baby. He smiled as she snuggled to the pillow. He wanted more than anything to have had the courage to lay beside her but he knew he'd never do something like that. Instead, he sat quietly at the end of Sirius's bed, eyes never wavering from the sleeping beauty on his bed.

"I meant it, you know," he whispered to no one. "I meant it."

His eyes fluttered shut when he couldn't resist sleep anymore. He didn't see the smile forming on Lily's face.







James shook his hair vigorously and patted his damp clothes. The rain had done him good. He felt lighter somehow; as if everything that had weighed him down had been washed away. Well, almost everything. He couldn’t lie to himself.

He couldn’t face climbing up to the dormitory. He was too tired and the fire that was ablaze in the Common Room looked inviting. James laid down his broom on a nearby table and sat on one of the armchairs near the fireplace. The house elves had obviously visited Gryffindor Common Room before he’d returned; there was no sign of the customary rejected homework sheets or of any leftovers from food stolen from the kitchens.

James yawned widely. He was leaning comfortably on the armchair, adjusting the cushions, when he heard a sound from the direction of the dormitory staircases. He groaned quietly; he wasn’t feeling particularly friendly tonight. He turned his head so he could get a good view of the stairs and half-closed his eyes to hide the fact that he was awake. The footsteps grew louder and suddenly a dim light appeared at the doorway of the girls’ dormitory entrance. James opened one eye, wondering who of the girls would be in the mood for a nighttime stroll, especially at this time of night; it was almost four in the morning!

The footsteps stopped just before the doorway revealed who the girl was; only her hand could be seen from where James was. But that was enough. He took an intake of breath. No, anyone but her, anyone at all, but her… Lily came down slowly, looking both ways to see if she was alone. James felt his chest ache again, as he took in every small detail of her; the pain was physical now. Her burgundy hair fell lightly on her shoulders and her eyes glittered strangely in the darkness. She was wearing a white sweater over her checked pyjamas and was holding her wand high, its tip glowing with light. James debated on whether to reveal himself but Lily made the decision for him. Her wand tip lit over his armchair and he had seconds to decide.

“Potter!” she whispered at his seemingly sleeping figure. She bent nearer to him; he could smell her sweet perfume. Then something happened he had certainly not expected. Lily reached out a hand to stroke his wet hair, slowly and gently. James tried to steady his breath, feeling panic-stricken. The standing girl next to him sighed and pulled her arm away.

Her voice sounded resigned. “I know you meant it.”
Chapter Endnotes: A/N: Six days until my exams! I'm pretty sure I'll manage to finish next chapter before then but don't hate me if I don't! Fingers crossed that I'll make it and send it in! And thank you so much to everyone who's reviewed! I appreciate and answer them all!