Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Thrice Defied by leighpotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 5- Once Defied

31st October 1977

“…and, from Golpallot’s third law, we are lead, in turn, to his second known law, which was disproved by the Italian Potion-maker Ciceron, in the early 14th century. This law states that the antidote of a poison will only partially counter-act another poison, bearing in mind that the two poisons have at least half their ingredients common. So, I will ask you all to come to my desk and fill two phials with the two potions of Amortentia and the Draught of Living Death, and create two antidotes, while fully describing your actions on paper, meaning how you disproved the theorem, as that will be what I will correct. Begin!” Slughorn finished, rubbing his hands together expectantly.

The eight NEWT students nodded at their Professor and started filling their phials with each potion. James, his brain still slightly fuzzy after Slughorn’s speech, looked over at Moony, who was staring at his cauldron, momentarily stymied. Well, if Remus was finding it difficult to understand Golpallot’s law, he definitely wouldn’t; much less disprove it. The only ones who seemed to have made anything out of Slughorn’s rant were Lily and Snape; they were trying to outdo each other.

“Miss Vance, if your ambition is still to become an Auror, then I suggest you pay more attention to what’s going on in the classroom and less on what’s going on, on the Quidditch pitch!”, the round Professor said sternly to Alice, who was levitating the ingredients of her potion.

“Oh, sorry, Professor. But it’s Halloween today and tomorrow it’s a Hogsmeade trip-you can’t expect us to be attentive.”

“I can and I do, Miss Vance. Take Evans, for example,” he bent over Lily’s cauldron, “Oh, very well done, Lily. And you, James? Has Halloween had an effect on you?” James instantly woke up, knowing he had a heavy revision to look forward to.

“Merlin, you two look as though the Potions class exploded. Lots of homework?” Sirius asked brightly, an hour later, as he and Peter joined James and Remus from a Care of Magical Creatures lesson.

“Extremely difficult lesson and extremely lots of homework, yes, Sirius. But don’t brag. I’m positive Kettleburn gave you nothing.” Remus muttered darkly.

“Alright, I won’t. But I feel sorry for you. You both look a sight. And just for your information, it wasn’t such a peachy lesson-Martha nearly attacked me again.”

The four boys left their bags in their bedroom and, with James and Remus slightly less dejected, they joined the crowd of Gryffindors who were heading hungrily to the Great Hall, which was decorated spectacularly for Halloween. Live bats were flying in and out of the giant windows; pumpkins with gruesome carved faces were leering eerily at each entering student, while the Hogwarts ghosts seemed to have taken it upon themselves to scare the living daylights out of every living thing; but the students themselves were the centre of attention, creeping behind their friends with terrifying masks, some making uncanny imitations of the Bloody Baron and causing the Prefects and Head Girl to run from every House table giving out detentions that were never actually done. The Head Boy, on the other hand, was enjoying his own part in the overwhelmingly large rule-breaking mob.

Not for long, though.

“POTTER!”

James sighed regretfully at the sight of Lily making her way towards him, in what was probably not one of her best moods, gave an apologetic smile to the crowd of Ravenclaws he had been entertaining with his jinxes on every approaching Slytherin and, running his wand-free hand through his already not-so-windswept hair, he prepared himself for the row he knew was coming. From the corner of his eye, he could see Dumbledore and the rest of the teachers watching, amused. As Lily came closer, the crowd dispersed, not wanting to receive yet another detention.

“POTTER!” Lily was a deep shade of red, clearly on a role. “Potter! The one time I could really use your help with this deranged lot, YOU are HERE, ORGANISING IT! ARE YOU OR ARE YOU NOT HEAD BOY?”

James was, for one of the few times of his life, without a snappy reply. After a moment, when the noise in the Great Hall subsided considerably, he turned to Lily with his most annoying grin.

“I am.”

“Well, you’ve got a good way of hiding it!”

“If you mean my hanging around, I’d much rather be doing this, than running after every broken rule like a bloody lunatic!”

“Potter! You are the most annoying specimen of unpleasant human being that I have ever had the tremendously wretched chance to meet!”

“What? What did all that gibberish mean?”

“Well, if you can’t understand plain English than you’re worse than Rosier!”

“Hey!” Rosier had stood up indignantly. That’s when Lily and James finally realised what uncanny silence there was in the Hall.

“That’s not on, Evans. Look what you’ve done to everyone. It’s like they’ve been watching a tennis match! After being struck dumb,” he added.

The occupants of the Great Hall, as one, had turned their heads to Lily, waiting for an answer. She stood there, looking strangely calm after James’ maddening answer. In fact, after a few silent minutes, she smiled.

“Thanks Potter. We really do work well together. See, in just seconds we managed to quiet down the entire Great Hall. And , I won a bet. Again, thanks.” Lily walked to the Gryffindor table, where she sat and spread her open hand to Nathaniel, who, grinning, gave her a handful of Galleons.

Sirius patted James’ shoulder, sympathetically.

“She picked a fight with you to shut us all up and win a couple of Galleons…” said Sirius, in a mock hurt voice. “I feel so used…”

James, his mouth still open, was watching Lily reach for some treacle tart. As she did, she caught his eye. She waved slyly and mouthed:

“It’s my turn.”




1st November 1977

Lily woke up on Saturday with a slight cramp in her leg. She sat up, yawning with tiredness and checked her watch. It was eight o’ clock, which meant she had only slept four hours (Halloween!) and the Hogsmeade trip was beginning in more than two. She debated for a while on lying in bed and being lazy, but restlessness was one of her faults; she couldn’t just do nothing. She got up noiselessly and got dressed, putting on warm clothes and slipping in her jacket pocket a small, woolly hat, which she would never wear; but still, better safe than sorry. The sky looked extremely dark from her window. It would not surprise her if it snowed, even though it was early November.

Lily slid down the girls’ staircase (evidently Sirius had tried, unsuccessfully and for the hundredth time, to break into Luna’s room) and landed neatly in the empty Common Room. After attempting to read an essay on Boggarts a third-year had left half-done, she left and headed to the library, to investigate the slightly alarming possibility of whether or not Boggarts had the ability of seeing through women’s clothing.

The library door was, as always, open but it seemed that Madam Pince, too, had had a late night, for the librarian was nowhere to be found. Still Lily made as little noise as possible; she could not bring herself to break the silence of the room.

Half an hour of searching on Boggarts drew Lily to the conclusion that the student had been misled by a fellow third-year prankster (although for all she knew a number of certain stupid seventh-years could have done it as well) or had completely misinterpreted a joke made by the author of A Thousand Magical Feet: An Epic, which would have confused anyone. Suddenly, Lily looked up from the chapter she had been reading (How we escaped from the masterful feet of Merlin). She had heard the distinct noise of someone closing a book with frustration. But she hadn’t seen whoever it was. Had they sneaked in? Possibly to steal?

Feeling slightly reckless, she sneakily followed the narrow aisle of books and, in what she liked to think of as a detective manner, she narrowed her eyes and tiptoed towards the direction of the noise, failing to notice as she did, that Peeves was silently above her.

“The Head Girl sneaking around the library…well, that don’t sound too good…” he said in a whispered voice.

Lily, knowing it was utterly pointless, gazed pitifully at the ghost and whispered:

“Peeves, whatever you do, please don’t-”

“HA HA-HA HA-STEALING-THIEVING-PINCHING-NICKING-RAIDING-ROBBING!”

“-shout…” Lily finished resignedly. But as she did she noticed a flash of dark hair running frantically towards the entrance of the library. Grabbing her wand, she rushed after him only to find Peeves in her way again.

“Get out of the way, Peeves!” The poltergeist sneered nastily. Lily, angrily, pointed her wand at him and thought with all her might “Tarantalegra!” Although it didn’t have quite the effect it would have on a living being, it gave her enough time to reach the entrance, where, once again, she was stopped, this time by Madam Pince in her nightdress.

“What in the name of Heaven’s do you think you’re doing, Miss Evans? And what is THAT doing in my library?” Madam Pince was pointing at Peeves, heatedly.

Leaving the seething librarian to fume after Peeves, Lily walked to the entrance and saw it completely empty. She bit her lip and, struck by a sudden thought, she turned to the Restricted section of the library, where the guilty culprit had been. There she found nothing except a tiny open book written in Ancient Runes. She studied the passage that was neatly underlined and tried translating it. She sat on a study table and grabbing a spare piece of parchment she started copying the text.

“Miss Evans, I believe you have no note for that particular book,” said a cheerful voice.

Lily looked up guiltily and cringed under the Headmaster’s gaze. Madam Pince must have called him to get rid of Peeves. She nodded and shut the book, hiding her own paper from view. Dumbledore smiled and picked up the book. His smile seemed to falter for a few seconds before he looked up at Lily again.

“Miss Evans, you should be preparing for the Hogsmeade trip. Some students have already left but I have requested that Mr Potter wait for you. I wish for you to patrol the village. I believe there might be need for caution today, or at least in the evening, when I expect a certain- visitor,” Dumbledore spread out his arm and Lily walked steadily to the door.

“Yes, Professor. Oh and good morning.”

“Good morning, Miss Evans.”




“I heard about Peeves’ morning performance. I think he’s probably the one thing I hate at Hogwarts. Besides Snape, obviously. And the Blacks-not Padfoot. And Malfoy. And Avery. And Mc-”

“Honestly, Potter, when have I ever shown any enthusiasm for the people you bully and are bullied by? Because if I have, it was most definitely unintentional.” Lily clicked her tongue impatiently, as they headed towards the main Hogsmeade road.

“Sorry, Evans. Pay more attention, I will.”

They walked together side by side, one resigned to the fact that she was going to have to endure the infuriating company of the other, while he was enjoying both the fact that they were so close and that tell-tale wolf-whistles were frequently heard.

At some point, just before seven o’clock, when most students were returning to the castle and only the seventh-years were allowed out, Lily and James stopped at the Three Broomsticks for a Butterbeer.

“No, don’t worry, Madam Isabella, no, we will not come near the bar. The Firewhiskey is safe from us. God, woman,” Lily ground her teeth and walked with James to a small table in the corner of the pub where Alice, Luna and the Marauders were all sitting.

“No, I’m willing to bet that Isakson could completely outrun Whyte on any game. They play different positions but it’s obvious who’s got the skill!” Alice was arguing with Sirius about Quidditch. Remus was watching with a sweet smile on his face.

“Oh, come on Al, he’s still got a Shooting Star, for Merlin’s sake, Whyte has a Nimbus 1001-”

“Whyte plays for the Wasps and I admit they’ve got good Beaters but Isakson has an international standard; do you know how much the Vultures paid to get him? And since he joined they’re top in the Bulgarian league with no match lost and they’re the favorites for the European Cup!” Alice had lost her timidness and was openly supporting her favorite Quidditch player.

Luna, oblivious to the wrestling match next to her, was explaining the simple techniques of yoga to an attentive Peter. Lily and James sat near her and waited for the pub-owner’s daughter to bring their Butterbeer.

“Thank you, Rosmerta.” James grinned and sipped the warm drink.

“James, mate, when d’you get here? Hey, Lily. Prongs, come here and explain to the Isakson fan club that there’s more to Quidditch than blue eyes and a geeky grin, will you?” Sirius sighed exasperatedly.

Alice was about to answer scathingly when she was interrupted by Luna, who had finally realized who they were talking about.

“Is Isakson the nice-looking blonde Quidditch player? The one that’s only a few years older than us?”

“Yep, that’s him. Don’t tell me you’re in the club, Davies?” Sirius looked sincerely disappointed.

“Someone tell me why we’re sitting with this lot? I’m just wondering…” Lily sipped her Butterbeer pleasantly, plainly living in her own world.

“So what if I am?” Luna had stood up to face Sirius.

“Is he that Dutch guy, Alice? The one you’ve got a poster of? That’s been torn?” asked Lily, deciding to take part in the conversation, resigned to the fact that she had to stay with James for while longer.

Alice cringed. Remus looked up with sudden interest- and a frown.

“Only because you wanted it yourself, Lily! And it’s not only him; it’s the whole of the Vratsa Vultures!”

It was Lily’s turn to cringe. James had turned to her indignantly.

“So, you prefer blondes to brunettes? What, I have to dye my hair to get your attention?”

“Your hair is black, Potter. And I’d be worried if you started calling yourself a brunette. But no amount of dye will ma-” Lily was cut short by a scream, coming from outside. She and James stood up instantly and ran to see what was going on.

James felt his breath get caught in his chest. A group of masked men were jeering at each other, waving their wands and watching hungrily at something above them. James raised his head reluctantly, fearful of what he was about to see.

A small third-year girl was floating in the air, her face twisted grotesquely in agony, under the curse one of the masked wizards had cast on her. Under her, a fifteen-year old boy was yelling desperately. Suddenly, James realized it was Nat, Gryffindor’s Seeker.

“Oh, my God. It’s his little sister, Natalie!” Lily was watching helpless.

“Natalie and Nat?” James whispered. Lily shot him a filthy look. Not the right timing for a joke, I guess.

Abruptly, Nat seemed to lose his control and charged at the wizards, wand out. James ran after him and caught him before they had time to retaliate, though not before he had thrown a Stinging hex at one of them and made him lose the control of the spell, causing small Natalie to fall down safely in her brother’s arms.

“Filthy Mudblood! You will PAY FOR THAT!” The masked man roared his voice full of rage.

Lily seemed to have regained her decisive self. She stood next to Nat, and, after making sure both brother and sister were alright, she shouted: “Stupefy!”

The wizard fell down, instantly.

“Don’t ever say that again!” she whispered dangerously. James looked over her shoulder and put on a mock sympathetic expression.

“Trust me, do what she says, I know how much it hurts.”

A well-built masked wizard neared Lily and towered over her. James pulled her back.

“You dare humiliate us? Crucio!”

“LILY!”

James managed to push a momentarily taken aback Lily out of the way, before he took control of the situation and fired back at the slow-moving wizard. “Incarcerous!”

“We are the Chosen ones, the Death-Eaters! We will not stand for two school brats disgracing us! Fight back and make our master proud!” said a woman’s voice form behind a mask.

Fear clutched at James’ chest; he could feel it choke him. He had to protect Lily and Nat, they were both vulnerable. He raised his wand one more time, ready to utter any curse, when he felt his own body rising. A scream escaped from a girl’s lips; he could hear Sirius and Remus trying to punch at the wizards and witch. Then, without warning he heard another voice, altogether more terrifying than anything else James had ever heard.

“What is going on here?”

A wave of cold ran through James. He looked down, knowing he was going to regret ever doing it.

A black-clad figure stood amongst the Death-Eaters. Deathly white hands were holding a wand and from where he was, James could only see the jet black hair of Lord Voldemort. As if he had heard his thought, the figure raised his head and James felt another wave of nausea. The face that was looking mercilessly up to him was horribly formed, almost as though it had melted, as white as those awful hands. And the eyes…those eyes told him his life was short…that however it came, the end was near…he heard a faraway voice…a flash of light. Oh…he would not see Lily again but, even so…death was not that frightful…almost like flying…

THUD! James shook his head and realized that, he hadn’t, in fact, died. He had fallen. He glanced around and found Lily lowering her wand and Voldemort rubbing his hand. There was gash of blood there and Voldemort was caressing it in a detached way, as though he could not quite feel the pain.

“Lily? I shall find more about you, but not now. This time you leave, unharmed.” There was a swish of movement and he had Apparated, followed by the Death-Eaters.

Lily gazed at the spot where Lord Voldemort had disappeared, shaking. James, knowing what was about to happen, ran to her and caught her, just before she had fallen down, faint.

A/N: Sorry for the delay but I hope you enjoyed the longest chapter yet. This is the one where most of you will realize why I’ve called this fiction Thrice Defied. Our first glimpse of Voldemort is quite scary, if I may say so. And there are one or two other important points in this story that will unravel the mystery of Lily and what she really knows about Voldemort, so it’s probably one of the most important chapters. Review, review, review, review please! Oh, and remember the dates-it’s kinda important for the next chapter!