Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Death Veil by guiding ray of sunlight

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
An owl flew in through the window and landed in front of me, just as I was sitting down for lunch. I immediately recognized my brother's owl, Gem. I quickly opened the letter.

'Dearest Jade,

Meet me at the Death Room at 1:20. I need to tell you something.

Love,

Your Brother, Will'



Death Room. The words sent shivers down my spine. A couple of weeks earlier, my brother approached me as I was walking to work. We were both Unspeakables, working in different sectors of the Department of Mysteries. We quickly hugged, and I could immediately feel that he was tense about something. I looked at him before asking what was wrong. He told me to follow him, where he led me to the Death Room, the room he worked in. The room with the Veil in its center. He took both my hands in his and looked at me. That really scared me. That had been the way he had informed me of our parents death, years ago, when I was only six. He was only eight at the time, but he had taken care of me , through all the years in the orphanage, before he left for Hogwarts, and later on, when I attended, he always looked out for me. That day in the Death Room, it was almost as if I was six years old again, and alone in the world.

'Jade,' he said, in a quiet voice. 'I have been chosen to go through the Veil, and explore the world that it hides. There will be ways to communicate with me, but I will never be able to come back.'

Already as he said that, my head had begun to shake. 'Jade, please listen to me. I am the only unwed person in the department who is in good enough shape and health to go. And we must know what lies behind there. Please, Jade, listen to me." Already by then the tears had fallen down my cheeks. And when I held that letter, I could feel the tears coming back. Being an Unspeakable, you are supposed to be emotionally strong. But Will was my whole life, and I could not bear to lose him.

I looked up at the clock, which showed that it was nearly one. I took a deep breath and went to the fireplace. I took a handful of Floo powder from the pouch around my waist and stepped in. From that point till the moment I saw Will is all a blur. But I know what happened when I saw Will. The first thing I felt was great love, and the next heartbreak. I saw that all the spells were set up. He was ready to go. All they were waiting for was me, so that we could say goodbye. As his eyes fell on me, I saw the sorrow and sadness in them. I couldn't let him leave. I began shaking my head again, and I ran to him and hugged him with all my might. He hugged me back with equal force. Then he let go and looked at me. "Don't go," I said in a quivering voice.

"I'm sorry, Jade, but I have to, you know that. We need to know what the Veil is-" Will began.

"The world can live without knowing what lies beyond the Veil. But I can't live without you!" There were tears on my face now.

"Yes you can, Jade! You are a wonderful person all on your own! You don't need me-"

"Yes, I do, Will. I do. And if you insist on going, then I'll just have to come along. I can't live without you."

That really seemed to get to him. "Jade, you mustn't come with me. There may be a slight chance of my returning, but only because of these spells. There isn't enough time to make any for you." I could see the lie in his eyes. He was lying, so that I wouldn't be in danger from whatever lies beyond the Veil. "I need to go." He began walking towards the Veil. I grabbed his hand, tears now flowing in full force down my cheeks.


"Don't go," I begged him. "With Mum and Dad gone, you're all I have left, Will, you can't leave me too."

"I'm really sorry, Jade, but I have to do this, for the rest of the world." I met his eyes and saw all the love and sadness in them. "Please, let me go." I let go of his hand.

"I will love you forever, Jade. I promise I will." Will said and walked the final steps towards the Veil.

"And I, you." I said, a millisecond before he walked through the Veil. As he stepped through, the magical cord that had connected him to this world as a means of communication fell to the ground, all magic gone from it. Along with it, Will was gone from this world. Gone forever. I fell to the floor, sobbing.

The next day I returned to work, and did my job. And for the first time, I wasn't afraid to give my entirety to my job. I took risks, but only at my own expense. I still do.

I am telling all this to you, my dear colleagues, to show you why we are in this Department. We are here to solve the mystery of the world for future generations. We are here to make the world a better place, through knowledge. And sometimes, my friends, we need to sacrifice for it. I am not the one who sacrificed. I was selfish, but Will was not. Will went, and gave his life for the rest of the world. I have learned my lesson from him. Are you prepared to learn yours?


"Can you hear my voice?
Oh, Beloved One.
Can you hear my voice,
When I call to you?
I may shout loud,
But silently I weep.
And above time,
I can hear your voice.

The universe is wide,
And has many paths,
Meet for a glance,
Then are gone for good.
I try my best,
But my feet fail.
I cannot retrieve,
What I have lost.

My last day,
Is coming close.
Soon comes the day,
Of parting tears.
I'll wait for you,
Till my last breath.
As I swore to you,
Many moons ago."