Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dear Diary, by HPLoverForever

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
September 23rd, 1979

Dear Diary,



Today is quite an exciting day! I have been accepted to work in the Department of Mysteries in the Ministry of Magic! I’ve been hoping for this for a while now. The job interview was so odd. They completely failed to inform me about what I would be getting myself into and only asked me questions about myself. I suppose that was just incase I wasn’t qualified. If they had told me all about it and I hadn’t gotten the job, I would have been able to tell the world what lies there and chaos could possibly erupt.






Anyways, now I do know what my job is and what it includes. I work in what is called the Planet Room and I get to persue my enjoyment of gazing at the night sky during the day. It is a very interesting thing, you know. The planets that are in that room are literally identical in every way possible to the actual ones in our solar system, not including the size. Of course, these planets are a much smaller version of the actual ones. The great thing about the Planet Room is that it really does contain everything within the Milky Way; things Muggles don’t even know about yet!





So now I should probably tell you about my day. Well, I arrived early to give a good impression to my fellow Unspeakables, yet found they weren’t necessarily friendly to others. Well, perhaps it was just when I was around. They kept their hoods up no matter what they were doing and didn’t talk unless it involved their work. However, I did make one friend. Her name is Julia Simtich. She has been working in the Planet Room for three years and I am her first co-worker. She’s a very nice person, too.





I honestly don’t believe that anybody knows how large the Department of Mysteries really is. It must be enchanted to have a smaller outside than inside so more things can fit into the Ministry of Magic. I know that I walked at least three miles today going from cubical to cubical and my legs are burning like fire. I wonder who created it...





The best part about the Planet Room is that there is no gravity! Since my fear of brooms isn’t exactly going anywhere any time soon, it is fun to get your feet off of the ground! Sure, it’s difficult to get from one place to the next, but Julia claims that I’ll get the hang of it soon.





I find that the most mysterious person I work with would be Augustus Rookwood. What a secretive man...He always seemed to be lurking away in the shadows and barely spoke to anyone (I mean less than the others spoke to each other already). I don’t know much about him, but Julia tells me that he works in the Hall of Prophecies, whatever that is. I really haven’t gotten to know much about the Department of Mysteries,
but hopefully that will all change very soon.





I found a manual on my desk today that has to be at least five thousand pages long. It’s huge! It is all about the different places and rooms in the Department of Mysteries and will definitely be an interesting read! I can’t wait to find out what secrets my job holds for me to discover. It’s already exciting enough!





Catie’s hungry for dinner. She’s meowing non-stop. I’d better feed her little tummy before she starves! Diary, I am pretty sure that I am the owner of the cutest cat on Earth. She is only six months old, but she is so sweet! Why didn’t I get a cat before this?





Well, I had better go, as my hand is cramping up. Plus, I need to get to sleep because I have work tomorrow! Ha ha, it is so nice to be able to finally say that. I’ll check in tomorrow.





Love from,

Audrey Watkins

---------



October 1st, 1979

Dear Diary,





I’m terribly sorry it’s been so long since I’ve written in here. Work has been keeping me very busy this past week. However, it’s Sunday, and today is my day off. It’s around ten o’clock in the morning, and nothing feels better right now than sitting at the kitchen table warm, comfy slippers, Catie sitting on my lap and having a cup of coffee while writing about my week.





The Planet Room is definitely an interesting place to work. So far, Julia has been proven wrong about me getting used to the lack of gravity, but I’m enjoying it as much as I can, as it will probably get slightly boring after a while.





I found out something very important on my second day of work this week. Everything that goes on in the Planet Room, goes on in reality. What I mean to say is that if I were to destroy Neptune, it would do the same in reality. It is a very dangerous thing, but very interesting too!





I’ve been talking to Julia more about that mysterious Augustus Rookwood. It turns out nobody really knows anything about him. I’ve tried talking to him a bit lately but he always seemed to be busy with whatever he was caught up in. However, I did get the chance to introduce myself on Thursday, to which he informed that he was indeed Augustus Rookwood of the Hall of Prophecies. Oddly enough, he wasn’t at work yesterday, yet I seemed to be the only one who took notice. I don’t know what it is about that man that interests me so.





Today I recieved an owl from my mother who was congratulating me on recieving the job. She also informed me that my brother is in St. Mungo’s suffering from very bad burns from one of the dragons he had been working with. It just goes to show you what comes from working with such creatures. I’m going off to visit him there tomorrow after I get off work to make sure that he is doing alright and possibly give him a firm lecture about how he got lucky and could have almost died. Why? That’s just how I am.





I’m thinking about going to get new robes tomorrow at Diagon Alley, as my current ones have become very ragged indeed. Perhaps Madam Malkins will be carrying something suitable. I also need a good book to drain myself in as I’ve just about finished every one that I own. If you see my large collection of books, you’ll know instantly that I truly am a bookworm.





I found out a bit more information regarding the Hall of Prophecies the other day as I saw it in the works. During my break, I went exploring and plowed through the Prophecy Hall. Dusty glass spheres with a misty substance swirling inside of them are there and I had absolutely no idea what they were until I looked them up in the manual I recieved last week. According to it, whenever a Seer receives a vision from the future, it is automatically copied and placed inside one of the dense spheres, and is immediately transported to the Hall of Prophecies. As I wondered through the many halls, I was lucky enough to see one of the prophecies arrive, something I would imagine to be uncommon.





Well, the day is progressing quickly and I should probably go and get ready for it. I was planning on going to the local library and picking up some good books for my late night reads. I’ll check back in as soon as I can.





Love from,

Audrey Watkins

**