Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dear Diary, by HPLoverForever

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
October 6th, 1979

Dear Diary,

Today is my birthday! I have finally turned the wonderful age of twenty-one. I was bombarded with parcels and letters today when I arrived home from work and I couldn’t have felt more loved. My mother bought me a one-of-a-kind Phoenix Feather quill; something something that is definitely very rare! Julia, even though we have only known each other for not even two weeks, bought me a gift certificate to Flourish and Blotts. That right there just shows a person how easily people pick up on my reading nature! So, I’ll admit, whenever I’m not exploring the secrets of the Department of Mysteries on my break, I’ve usually got my nose stuck in a good book. What touched me the most was that Jason, my brother, managed to get me a gift even though his condition proved that he couldn’t do too much. I received a silver charm blots from him with a charm already dangling from it; a book.

The one gift that confused me most was the one that arrived anonymously. After I had finished putting away my cards and gifts a black owl soared through my open window and landed on the back of my chair with a card and a single red rose tied to its leg. I took the rose off and set it on the table, then untied the small card and opened it.

For You.

That’s all it read. No name, nothing! I cannot imagine who could have sent it. It’s not like I have a boyfriend to surprise me with things like that so I’m not sure who could have done it. Then again, I’m sure that was the point. Oh well. Perhaps one day its sender will reveal his or herself. I’m planning on asking Julia what she thinks of it tomorrow when I go to work.

I believe that I am slowly getting used to the gravity loss in the Planet Room, as I have been living with it for almost two weeks. However difficult it is to move around, I continue to enjoy it.

I’m slowly working my way through my manual and am currently about a quarter of the way through. I probably should be farther in it, but the work itself has been keeping me extra busy. I am currently on chapter thirty four, which talks about the Circular Room and its purpose. I realized that all it is is a distraction. You see, all you have to do to get to the room you wish is ask. The room spins to try and confuse the intruder or who ever it is entering. It makes people think and focus much harder than they need to.

I went to visit Jason the other day in St. Mungos and saw the burns were slowly getting better. However, that did not stop me from deeply scolding him and instructing him to be much more careful. I talked to one of the Healers while he was sleeping and she informed me that he should be up and ready to get back to Egypt within two weeks. I’m sure he would be glad to know that, but I sure wasn’t. But do you blame me? He’s my little brother! I don’t like seeing him hurt like this.

I’m actually writing this entry with the quill my mum got me. It’s got streaks of gold intwined within the red feather and is probably one of the prettiest quills that I have ever seen. My bracelet is dangling loosely on my wrist and my rose is sitting in a clear vase filled with water on my counter top.

I should probably get ready for bed as it’s awfully late. Catie is already laying in her kitty bed and the moon seems almost at its fullest. As usual, I’ll check back when I can.

Love from,
Audrey Watkins

---

October 9th, 1979

Dear Diary,

Today was probably one of the most boring days of work. Nothing spectacular happened at all, but I did get to examine the asteroid belt a little bit closer.

I asked Julia what she thought of my mystery person and she automatically assumed that it was a secret admirer. This idea was almost laughable as I hadn’t had a boyfriend or anything of the sort since my younger years of Hogwarts. I just wasn’t really that kind of person. I focused on reality and the things that were crucially important in life, not love. However, I went along with her theory and we narrowed it down to three people. Either Martin McGonogall, a family friend that I I keep in touch with every so often, Remus Lupin, one of my friends from when I was at Hogwarts, or possibly a person that I am not really aquatinted with, yet have met once before; maybe someone from inside of the Ministry. Julia also advised me not to go asking around and to just wait and see what happens, but I had already planned on doing so. Waiting is something that comes natural to me. I’m good at it.

I made another friend at work today. His name is Ryan Hartford and he works in the Hall of Prophecies along with Augustus Rookwood. I had recognized him from when I attended Hogwarts as he was in Ravenclaw as well and was just a year older than I. This was his second year working in the Department of Mysteries and he claims that I will grow to love my job more than I already do.

During our conversation, I saw Augustus walk past me looking to be in very bad shape indeed. He hadn’t been at work the day before but the condition that he had showed up in today showed that he definitely didn’t need to be. I tried confronting him about it, but he brushed me off with a small, “I’m fine”, and continued on his way.

Julia invited me to a dinner party she is hosting next weekend. She claims it will be a good chance to get to know some new people and get more aquatinted with my coworkers in the Department of Mysteries. I’m not too sure if I want to go to it, though. I mean, I’m not exactly the sociable type. Well, yes, I try and make friends, but I’m not that outgoing. So, I told her I would think about it and get back to her tomorrow at work.

My mysterious rose is sitting motionlessly in its vase in front of me, looking as beautiful as can be. I have been trying not to think about it too much because as I mentioned above, I try and focus on the important, realistic things in life. Love isn’t too high on my list. However, it does give a nice feeling to know that you are secretly cared for, whoever the person may be. I hope whoever it is reveals himself eventually.

I tried to dig even farther into my manual today and managed to arrive at the half point, which talks about the room that I find to be the most interesting room of all: The Locked Room. There is only one way to get through. To enter, you must go through the veil which is located on the dais in the Death Chamber (chapter twenty). What lies in the Locked Room is utterly amazing. It is the place that people go after they die. Their souls go through the veil in the Death Chamber, causing it to look like a slight breeze is blowing from an outsider’s view. Once inside, the soul will wait in line behind the others and, when their turn comes, be guided to either the entrance to Heaven or the entrance to Hell; whichever they are destined to go to. Now, if a live person goes through the veil, the exit is quite simple. There is a door at the other side of the room that leads back to the Circular Room. However, the door is a one way thing only. You can only exit. I haven’t met anyone yet, but maybe sometime soon I’ll meet somebody that studies that room, as I’m sure there are people that do. Maybe I will if I attend Julia’s dinner party.

I must go to bed now. It is very late and Catie is already asleep on her little bed. I’ll update here as soon as I get the chance.

Love from,
Audrey Watkins.

**