Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Roses Of Yesterday by Raven_Stag

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Old Tom sat behind the bar of the Leaky Cauldron. It had been a long night, starting with that gang of goblins and continuing long into the wee hours of the morning with the two hags in the corner. He was ready to turn in. Just then, the door opened.

Tom sighed, not even looking up from his glass he said, “I’m sorry, sir we’re closed. Not even for the Minister himself would I stay open.”

“It’s very lucky then that I’m not the Minister himself, isn’t it Tom?”

Tom looked up, were his eyes deceiving him? “Mr. Potter, what a pleasant surprise.”

“Hello Tom. Its early I know, I was just woken by some one who insisted I meet her here. Do you mind if I wait?”

“Not all, not all, would you care for some milk, tea… perhaps a little brandy?”

“Some tea, please.”

“Certainly, sir.” Tom hurried off to the kitchen while Harry took a seat at a table. Not long after he’d done so, he heard a “pop!” from behind him.

“Hey Harry.” Harry turned in seat to look at his best friend. What he saw made his jaw drop. Hermione stood there in a full-length lavender ball gown, the gauzy material seemingly floating softly around her slim frame. Her hair glistened in the sparkling candle light of the pub and was twisted up in back, with lavender woven carefully into it. Gone was the girl of yesterday, here stood the woman of tomorrow.

“Hey, um…do you randomly wander around London in a ball gown a lot now, Hermione, or did you dress up just for me?”

She looked down at herself, “Ha, don’t flatter yourself Harry Potter. If you must know I just came from a ball””

“Naturally.”

“Given,” she said rather pointedly, “by our old friend Viktor Krum.”

“Out of curiosity, how’d you get invited to Krum’s ball?” Hermione looked rather uncomfortable.

“Ummm…”

“Hermione?”

“Well, it was sorta this thing to, kinda, well, enounce our…well…our””

“Spit it out.”

“Engagement.” It felt like some one had punched him in the stomach, completely winding him. Cold was spreading through his upper abdomen, his breathing was restricted. He hadn’t even seen it coming. True, just because he was probably going to be single his whole life didn’t mean Hermione was, still, he hadn’t been this shocked when Ron had enounced his engagement to Luna. Was it shock? Felt more like…no this was Hermione, his best friend…still.

Hermione shifted uncomfortably. She wished he’d stop looking at her like that, as if she’d just stuck a knife into his stomach. He must have guessed, must have known she wouldn’t wait forever for him to pull himself together and realize the obvious.

Tom walked in with a pot of tea and two cups. Quickly he assessed the situation and, upon seeing the look on Harry’s face, decided his was not a safe position to be in.

“I’ll be in the kitchen if you need any thing, Mr. Potter.” Hermione poured Harry a cup and shoved it into his hand. She watched to make sure he sipped it, then poured and sipped at her own.

She sat in the chair next to Harry and just waited. After five minutes of silence he spoke, “So why are you here and not with your fiancée?”

“That’s actually why I called. You see, just before our,” Harry cringed, “Ummm… new status was enounced, a Death Eater Apparated into the hall and”” She started sobbing. She had held off for too long. For the past two hours she had contacted any person she though might be able to help, not aided by the wailing of her future mother-in-law, and for both their sakes had managed to keep her composure. But now she sat staring into the emerald eyes of her last hope and she couldn’t help herself, she sobbed like the eight year old she felt like.

Harry continued to stare at her. Any dimwit, halfwit or no wit could have told him he should comfort her, but Harry was not just any dimwit, halfwit, or no wit, he was a very special one.

“Tom!”

“Yes, sir?”

“About that brandy?”

“Here.” Tom handed him a brown bottle and retreated once more to the kitchen. Harry poured Hermione another cup of tea, adding just a drop of brandy.

“Take this.” He said, placing the cup in her hand. She looked up at him. The tears had made her make up run, smudging eyeliner and foundation. He laughed; even in the worst circumstances, she was beautiful. He reached behind the bar and pulled out a tissue. She accepted it gratefully. “If I know you you’ve been up since 5:00 A.M. yesterday morning. Am I right?” She nodded. “I suggest you spend the night at my place, get a good nights sleep and tell me all about it in the morning. What do you say?”

“That sounds perfect. I feel like I’ve been thrown from a twenty-story building only to find myself surrounded by a group of red caps. I really should write Mrs. Krum though.”

“Hedwig can take your letter.”

“But where will I sleep?”

“In the bed, I’ll take the couch.”

“Alright, lead the way.” Hermione stood up and Harry had to catch her due to fact that her legs had suddenly gone on strike. “Ooops, thanks Harry.”

“No problem. I think I’ll do the Apparating, if you don’t mind.”

“Sounds good.” He put his arms around her waist and with a “pop”, they were gone.