Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Roses Of Yesterday by Raven_Stag

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Here we are,” Harry said unceremoniously, “Nothing special, but still home.” Hermione looked around at the red walls and leather couches, hard wood floors and dusky lighting.

“Wow, talk about a Bachelor Pad.” She smiled at him. “I’m guessing you don’t entertain many, ummm… female friends?”

“I don’t entertain many friends at all, male or female.” Hermione looked at him, but he stared straight a head.

Hermione decided to change the subject, “So, you want to show me the rest or what?” Harry took her on a tour, starting at the first door on the left, the kitchen, moving on to the bathroom and ending at the door on the wall opposite to where they had started.

“Oh the suspense is killing me,” said Hermione, “What’s behind door number three?” Harry laughed and opened the door. He motioned her in, and then followed behind. While Harry made an admiral attempt at finding the floor, Hermione walked passed the four-poster to get a better look.

“Ummm…Harry?” He looked up to find her holding the unopened package. He looked back down. “Why didn’t you open this?” He couldn’t meet her gaze. “That would explain a lot.” She sighed and changed the subject, “So, could I barrow some P.J.’s?”

“I don’t really wear P.J.’s,” he went over to the wardrobe and pulled out boxers and a t-shirt, “These work?”

“Fine. I’ll be in the bathroom.” She left and Harry found himself staring at the package yet again. He had hardly thought about it in three years, now in one night that was just about the only thing on his mind.

“Alright,” He muttered to himself, “Tomorrow.” To take his mind off it he grabbed an old Quidditch book and sat down on the bed.

****

“What are you reading?”

“Huh?” Harry had fallen a sleep.

“I said what are you reading?” Hermione stood in the door, her familiar bushy hair all over the place.

Harry looked at the book cover, “Champions of the 20th Century: An Inside Look at the Most Prominent Players of Our Time.” He smiled up at her, but she hardly noticed, she stood transfixed, staring at the cover. “Hermione, is everything ok?”

She pointed at the cover, “Viktor.” She burst into tears. It took Harry a moment to realize what was wrong. Looking at the cover, he saw Krum blinking back at him.

Harry cursed himself, how could he have been so stupid? He tossed the book under the bed and got up to comfort Hermione. Leading her back to the bed he said, “Why don’t you tell me what happened.” He handed her a box of tissues from the bedside table.

She blew her nose and started to tell her story. It was difficult in the beginning but soon the story came tumbling out. “We were at the ball and the Death Eater appeared. Viktor told him to leave but he just laughed. Viktor new about my former scrapes with the Death Eaters so he assumed they were after me, as did I. But instead of coming near me, the Death Eater threw something at Viktor. He caught it and disappeared, as did the Death Eater.”

“He just vanished?” asked Harry in disbelief.

“I guess whatever the Death Eater threw at him was a portkey.” She was still crying softly and Harry couldn’t help himself. He put his arms around her and pulled her close. Hermione relaxed in his arms and her crying soon stopped.

After a long space of time Harry pulled away, “You need to get some sleep. I’ll be on the couch.”

He got up to go but she stopped him, “Stay, please, I couldn’t possibly fall a sleep.” He looked into her pleading eyes and sighed. He sat down and soon they were talking about Hogwarts.

“Remember when you saved me from that troll?”

“Do I. And when Ron tried to curse Malfoy.”

“I wonder what happened to Malfoy?”

“Well he wasn’t coughing up slugs, oh you mean now? My bet is that he””

“Yes?”

“Ummm…dunno.” Harry had been about to say he thought Malfoy had abducted Krum, but he didn’t want to start the water works again. Changing the subject he said, “So what have you been up to?”

“Working for the Ministry. I’m the head of the Department for the Rights of Magical and Non-magical Creatures.”

Harry laughed, “And I suppose Dobby is your poster elf?”

“Of course,” said Hermione, with complete seriousness, “Who else? He actually works in the office with Lunna, Ginny and I. He loves it. What have you been doing?”

“I sorta entered into a partnership with Fred and George.”

“What happened to the Auror thing?”

“After Dumbledore…well…just didn’t fancy it anymore I guess.” Hermione looked into his eyes, there was still pain there.

She reached over and squeezed his hand. “Its ok. Forget I asked.” They lay in silence, holing hands and soon both fell a sleep.