Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Roses Of Yesterday by Raven_Stag

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: this is why the last one was so short :manic laughter:: This one is for is for everyone who has reveiwed, particularly dreaming and who ever emailed me yesterday...

For the second time in his life Harry Potter found himself in the graveyard below the manor on the hill. He arrived on the edge of the graveyard, just as night was falling. From somewhere in front of him he heard voices. Creeping up, hiding behind headstones, he saw the following scene unfold.

Four Death Eaters stood towering over a crumpled figure. Harry craned his neck in an attempt to see who, but the Death Eaters were too closely packed. While two kept their wands on the person on the ground, the other two watched the Manor with trepidation, as though waiting for some signal.

Finally one of them broke the silence “Why are we waiting? Let’s just get this over with.”

“Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do and die.” Said what seemed to be the Death Eater in charge.

“And you ain’t just whistling Dixie,” muttered the Death Eater under his breath.

“Watch it…you don’t want Him to hear you say that.” They fell into silence, continuing to watch and guard. From a top floor window a light shone bright green in the dark. “Right, there we are. Keep your wands on ‘im men.” They shifted, revealing to Harry the identity of their ward. Harry reeled back in surprise, it was Krum! “Right, you little slimy Bulgarian git, its time to see what you’re made of, Nagini, he’s yours.”

Form the shadows beyond their wand light slithered the great serpent herself. Slowly she circled him, hissing softly, Krum, who had been lying on the ground, scrambled to his feet. He was unarmed, having been relieved of his wand earlier, and Harry could tell it was going to be a short fight.

As Krum watched the snake circle closer and closer Harry fought his own inner battle. How much easier it would be, he thought to himself, with Krum out of the way. He could have Hermione all to himself. Yet he couldn’t help but wondering how’d he feel, knowing she wasn’t actually his. That he was responsible for the death of her fiancée. And what if she asked him if he could have done anything? How could he face her, straight faced and lie out right that there was nothing he could have done. No, he had to intervene, if for nothing else then for his love for Hermione.

“Stubefy!” Harry cried out pointing his wand at Nagini. The snake stopped in her tracks, just as she was about strike Krum with her fangs. The Death Eaters turned to stare at Harry, mouths wide open. “Get out of it!” He yelled to Krum as he strode up to deal with the snake.

Krum backed off and Harry stooped and revived the snake. Holding her at bay with his wand he looked at her for a long moment. “Why’d you take up with him?”

“That’s none of your business, Potter.”

“Amuse me.” Said Harry. “Remember I’m the one with the wand.”

“And remember that you’re talking to two poisonous fangs. But I might as well tell you. It’s very simple really; he was my ticket to freedom. Before he showed up and offered me a position I’d been captive at the London zoo for several years. Surly you can understand the lengths I’d go to be free of that cage.”

Harry looked into the serpents eyes and nodded, “Yes, I can. But the fact of the matter is you’re no more free today then you were at the zoo.”

“True,” said the snake, full of remorse. “But what choice have I?”

“If you like,” said Harry, “I could send you to number 12 Grimmauld Place, there’s a lovely little garden out front, or perhaps you like the forbidden forest better?”

“Please.” Harry rose and did a rather complicated flick of his wand. As soon as Nagini disappeared he turned to face Krum.

“So… where’s Hermione?”

“Over there.” Said Krum, and pointed to a large tombstone, carved ornately with angles and engraved with the words:

Elena Slytherin
1816-1837
May her fall from grace prove warning to all
Who seek answers to life’s Mysteries:
You may receive them.
Daughter Genius Friend
May she rest in peace.


Underneath laid Hermione Granger. Harry could feel his heart sink as he ran towards her crumbled form, was she alive? Harry wasn’t to find out.

*****


Harry woke to a splintering headache. Opening his eyes he saw a fire burning about 20 yards away. In an attempt to rub his forehead he discovered that his hands were tied tight against his sides. Turning his head he realized that, yet again, he’d been tied to the tombstone marked Tom Riddle. He sighed to himself, why was it that he couldn’t seem to visit this spot with out getting himself affixed to this particular tombstone?

“Ah. This is familiar, isn’t it Harry?” said a voice that Harry had hoped he’d never have to hear again. “I suspect you’re wondering how you came to once again grace my father’s tombstone. Well perhaps there is one who could tell the tale even better than Lord Voldemort, one who’s loyalty I doubted till he delivered you right into my hands. Step forward.” From the shadows beyond the fire stepped Krum, as big as life and twice as unexpected. Realization dawned on Harry and his eyes blazed with cold fire. Seeing this Voldemort smiled, “I see you know each other.” Turning to Krum he said, “Perhaps you like to tell Mr. Potter how he came to be here?” Krum shook his head; he couldn’t face Harry’s frigid eyes, or his raw temper. “No? Well I suppose I could do the honors, if you’re quite sure?”

Krum nodded again. “Oh sure!” Burst forth Harry, “You can betray your fiancée, have her murdered in cold blood, but you don’t have the balls to tell her best friend why!”

“Well, well, we are feisty to day,” said Voldemort smoothly. He motioned to two Death Eaters, who took the hint and gagged Harry. “Now, then, why is a very simple matter, is it not?” the question was directed at Krum who nodded, “I told him to. The real story lies in the way in which it was carried out.”

Voldemort paused, savoring the moment. Harry was reminded of the time six years ago when Voldemort had told his tale to a crowd of Death Eaters, thoroughly enjoying the lime light. Harry concluded that he was extremely egotistical. Harry’s thoughts were broken by Voldemort taking up his story again, “I came up with my plan about two years ago. After I had defeated that fool Dumbledore the year before I knew my path to Harry Potter was clearer than ever before. Still, I needed the help of some one close to him. This left me with but two options, Mr. Ronald Weasley and Miss. Hermione Granger. Knowing neither would help me willingly I had to devise a way to get to one of them.

“Here is where Viktor Krum came in. I knew from my sources that Krum and Granger had been to a ball together. I knew also that being from Durmstrag he would be loyal to the cause. A little over a year ago Krum began his seduction of Miss. Granger. Last night, at the ball that would enounce their engagement, I arranged for him to be “abducted.” Here he did the quotations with his fingers, “Just as I suspected she would, Miss. Granger ran off to Harry Potter. And just as I expected he would, he refused to help here, out of jealousy. Even if he had agreed the outcome would have been the same, ultimately he and Miss. Granger arrived.

“Upon Mr. Potter’s arrival he was stunned by Krum and place in the position you see him now.” This seemed like the end of the long narrative but Voldemort continued on, “However, you were wrong when you said Miss. Granger was dead, Harry, but not for long.” He smirked and pointed in her direction with his wand, “Crucio.”

For Harry time stopped as he watched in horror as the spell traveled toward Hermione. He struggled against his bonds but the refused to give way. The curse hit her and she quivered but emitted no sound. Suddenly Harry found his hands free. Looking behind him he saw Peter Pettigrew stowing a knife back in his robes. He muttered something that sounded like, “There, my debt is paid.” and turned away.

Harry turned his attention back to Voldemort, who had yet to realize his new freedom. Voldemort was laughing like a mad man, “Are you enjoying this as much as I, Harry?” He didn’t even glance in Harry’s direction. Harry was watching Hermione with concern. She looked no worse for wear, lying in the same spot, but Harry couldn’t be sure from this distance. Voldemort broke through his thoughts, “Now, Harry, you get to watch her die, just as you watched your mother, father, Black, Digory and Dumbledore die! Avada Kedavra.” He flicked his wand lazily, as though this didn’t matter, as though Hermione didn’t matter.

Harry found himself on his feet and running, attempting to out run death, Voldemort’s wild laughter following after him. While his Quidditch days had since passed, he still managed to catch up with the speeding green light. Now matched in pace, the two sped on. Eight feet to go, seven, six, five, Harry could feel his feet slowing ever so slightly, four, three, two, one…