Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Meeting Long Overdue by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This takes place in canon, prior to Half-Blood Prince [obv.]

It was the dark hours of early morning, and even the most determined night owls at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry had settled into their beds and tucked themselves beneath their covers for pleasant dreams “ or for the less fortunate, troubling nightmares. However, despite the peaceful quiet within the stone walls of the school, the silence was deceptive. For it was in the twilight hours that the most important residents of the castle saw to their most important business matters.

Severus Snape strode swiftly past the snoring portraits in a particularly dark corridor, his black robes billowing impressively behind him. This was his favorite time to be about the castle, for the halls lacked their usual infestation of crowds of pestilent students.

But on this morning, Severus was not taking pleasure in a leisurely stroll, but on his way to the Headmaster’s office on important business. After all, it was in the twilight hours that the most important residents of the castle saw to their most important business matters.

Severus hastened his steps as he wondered why he had been called to Dumbledore’s office at this time, knowing that the Order must be facing some catastrophe or dilemma. Something that needed to be handled with the delicate stealth and superior intellect that Severus was known to possess.

Finally, he reached the stone gargoyle that guarded the entrance to his urgent destination, and he quickly muttered the foolish and nonsensical password: “Chocolate Frogs”. Then, wasting no time, as there was none to waste, he swept inside the office to find Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall waiting anxiously for his arrival.

“You needed to see me?” he asked without hesitation.

“Albus has a rather unique problem, and we need your assistance in fixing it quickly and quietly,” Minerva explained.

“I surmised as much,” Severus replied with confidence. “What exactly is the nature of the dilemma, Headmaster?”

“He has a toothache,” Minerva said painfully. “And a terrible one, at that.”

Snape stared back at her, feeling both insulted and impatient with her unnecessary humor.

“We haven’t time for this, Minerva,” he spat. “Headmaster, could you please explain to me what is really going on here?”

Albus held his hand to his cheek and gave a small wince.

“It is… as Minerva has… already… explained…” he said slowly and with much difficultly.

Severus merely gaped incredulously at the two of them.

“If it’s a toothache then let Poppy deal with it,” he said with annoyance.

“Poppy does not have the required anecdote for this particular problem,” Minerva informed him sadly. “The toothache seems to be the result of too many… what are they, Albus? Lemon drops, is it?”

“Lemon drops?” Severus repeated.

“Muggle sweets,” Minerva clarified. “He’s rather fond of them. Well, it seems he’s had a few too many, and the Muggle sugar has weakened his back teeth. There’s only one way to fix it…”

“And that is…?” Severus asked through gritted teeth.

“Muggle toothpaste,” she answered simply.

“Where do you expect me to get Muggle toothpaste at this hour of the morning?” Snape asked, trying his best to hide his fury at being asked to perform such a menial task.

“You’ll have to place an order in this catalog, and have it rush delivered,” Minerva replied. “It can’t be flown from the school, as we are being closely watched and there could be an interception, and though the information isn’t classified “ we can’t risk the delay it might cause.”

“But… that means…?” Severus felt his anger evaporate as it was replaced with anxiety, and he gave Albus a questioning look. Albus nodded slowly.

“I can’t possibly “ send someone else…” Severus requested, becoming rather flustered. How could the Headmaster do this to him? He knew Severus could not walk into the post office, that he had still not healed from the falling out that had occurred so many years ago. He knew the pain that would resurface if Severus had to face him once again.

“Albus trusts nobody else with such urgent matters of the tooth and gum,” Minerva said hopelessly.

“Surely he trusts you,” Severus suggested. He had not been to the post office in Hogsmeade in over twenty years.

“He wishes for me to keep him company… for emotional support,” Minerva replied delicately.

“‘Emotional support’…” Severus sneered. “I suppose that’s one way of putting it.”

Minerva flushed, and Albus sighed deeply. Severus remained quiet a moment while he desperately tried to come up with another candidate for the mission.

“Hagrid “ ” he began, but Albus silenced him with a raised hand.

“Hagrid is …in a meeting… with a group… of giants… we recently… located - Severus, you are… my only… hope.”

Severus resigned himself to defeat. He had been delegated a task, and the only honorable thing to do would be to carry it out as asked. He tried to regain his composure as he gave Albus a small nod.

“Very well, do you have the order form?” he asked quietly, as though someone nearby might overhear and take the last of his dignity.

Minerva quickly handed him a parchment catalog with the words ‘Muggle Items for the Desperate Wizard’ scrawled across the front.

“It’s there, on the back page,” she said. “Please hurry, Severus.”

The pallid faced wizard nodded once more and left without a word. His body was trembling as he hastened to his bedroom in the dungeons, wanting to get this visit taken care of as quickly as possible. He summoned his most menacing looking black night cloak from his wardrobe, and took off from the castle into the grey dusk of morning.

Severus had not seen him since his own school days, but he knew they would meet once again when he walked through the doors of the post office. For so many years he had avoided the building for that very reason, rarely stopping into Hogsmeade at all, just to be careful.

Their history told a story of companionship sold short by betrayal. Even after Severus has realized the error in his ways and turned against the Dark Lord himself, he could not find himself to ask Alphred’s forgiveness. There was too much pain there.

The hem of his cloak swept the grassy path as the nervous wizard’s body trembled with trepidation. He felt his eyes sting against the cold air that rushed towards him as he quickened his pace. It was not long before he reached Hogsmeade, and the post office. He stopped outside, looking in with apprehension.

He thought momentarily of backing out, afraid he could not bear to look into Alphred’s steel grey eyes again, but feeling the toothpaste order form in his hand, he knew he could not let the Headmaster down. Severus took a deep breath, stood tall, and walked bravely through the post office doors, ready to finally face his past.

He found an express owl and had him sent off with the urgent order, and then quickly turned to leave, thinking that he may have actually managed to get in and out without having been spotted by Alphred after all.

But Alphred’s eyes were much too sharp not to notice the tall figure in the menacing black cloak. Just as Severus reached out to open the post office door and make his swift exit, he heard Alphred behind him, and turned slowly to see the face he had not seen in over two decades.

“Hello, old friend,” he said quietly, not looking him in the eye.

The old friend responded only with a look of deep hurt. Severus felt a pang of guilt for what he had done, so many years ago, leaving Alphred at the side of small road in the village, without any kind of explanation as to why their relationship had ended.

“Alphred?” Severus pressed. “I must apologize… It was wrong of me.”

Alphred didn’t wait to listen, but rather, he ruffled his feathers and flew to the back of the post office, taking his place next to the other owls.

Severus watched him regretfully for a few moments, wishing he could remember his childish reasons for abandoning such a loyal pet, and vowing never to do such a thing again. He then turned slowly and stepped out into the cold morning, where he watched as the sun finally rose above the horizon.