Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Someday by Periwinkle

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you for my lovely and awesome beta Kate, or ms weasley for looking over this. Ya know I love you, girl!


She burst tumultuously into the room, shutting the the door swiftly behind her. Picking up the first thing she saw, which was a glass vase, she threw it as hard as she could against the opposite wall. It hit the chalky barrier violently, breaking into a thousand sparkling pieces. She glared hatefully at the glossy fragments that reflected the moonlight from the open window. Sinking to her knees, she sobbed, hands on her face. For a while, that was all that could be heard, apart from the faint whistle of the wind toying with the curtains. The silence in the room did little to ease her anger.

Lifting her head, she pushed her hair out of her eyes -- staring ahead at everything and yet nothing. Transparent tears slid out of her eyes, tracing the contour of her cheeks before falling off her chin. Drawing in a heaving breath, she straightened her legs, leaning back on the legs of a chair nearby, calmer.

I can't believe he did that, she murmured to herself. I can't believe him. He told me to trust him, and I did. I trusted him and I loved him. And look what he does. Throws all that away. How the hell did I let this happen?

She felt hurt rather than frustrated; saddened rather than irritated. She had done so much for him -- pushed herself as far as she could go. And he didn't give a damn about her. She shuddered, pulling her legs up to her chest and resting her chin on top of them. Swallowing hard, she tried to make sense of what had happened.

He had told her it was over. They were over. When she had asked him why, he had just looked at her with those silver eyes that she had come to despise. Offering no explanation, he had left.

So this is how it all ends up, huh? she asked herself, letting a mocking laugh escape her lips. So this is where we finish. Clenching her jaw, she moved her gaze from the heap of glass to the picture resting on the windowsill. It was the latest image they had taken together. He stood, looking up into the camera, his strong arms around her. She was laughing, her auburn hair clashing with his platinum locks. It had been her favorite picture of the two of them. She had felt so protected, so assured in his arms.

Looking at the moving portrait brought back the hot, prickling tears and she let them flow. He could at least have told her why. He could at least have done that. Without leaving. Without making her wonder and detest him. Without causing all the pain she was going through. If he cared about her at all, he would have done that. But he hadn't. And that convinced her that he had left for good. Nothing would ever be the same between them again. Draco had made sure of that.

Ginny didn't know how long she had been sitting there when he came. Hearing a noise, she gazed to her left. The door opened and Draco entered, taking in the scene before him. The shattered glass on the ground to the limp form of a girl on the floor.

She glanced up and her features changed completely. Inexpressible sorrow was replaced by molten anger. Her face tightened as she stood up slowly, keeping her fiery eyes on him the entire time.

"Gin-" he began, but was abruptly cut off.

"Don't you dare talk to me," she spat, her voice hoarse. He winced, stretching out his arm. She swiftly slapped it away. "Don't you dare say a word!"

"Gin, you don't understand," he pleaded, peering into her eyes.

"Oh, I think I understand completely." She sugared her voice as she backed to the window and took the picture frame. Then her voice changed. "This is what we once were. And you had to go and screw it all up. It's all your fucking fault, so don't come to me, begging forgiveness. I won't give any." She drew out her last words and as he stared at her, she lifted the picture and hurled it at the floor, where it splintered at his feet. "That's what we are now," she told him, gesturing at his feet. "And nothing will change that."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. He had done all he could for her -- she had to understand that. He had realized his mistake in not telling her earlier, that much was clear. But whether she would accept his unexpected explanation remained to be seen. Trying again he began, "Ginny, listen to me. I did this-"

"So now you come back. Why didn't you just tell me in the beginning? I don't want to listen to you," she choked out. Inside, she was ready to tear into shreds -- so much emotion was coursing through her body and she had no idea what to do with it. Did she love him or hate him? Did she want to listen to him or did she want to pull away, tucking herself away from prying eyes that would only haunt her?

"Ginevra, listen to me." He gripped her arm. "I did this to protect you."

"Protect me?" she snorted, yanking herself away. "From what?"

He paused, looking at the ground. Choosing his words carefully, he was about to clarify his behavior when she interrupted.

"Ha! It's all a bunch of lies. You're a lie." Her steely eyes watched him intently.

He shot her a desperate look. "It's hard to explain."

"There's nothing to explain. Your actions have said it all."

"I came here to do one thing. And I won't leave until I do it. Ginny, we can't do this anymore. It isn't safe. I broke our relationship because if I hadn't, you would have been hurt."

"I'm already hurt!" she all but shouted, her face pale and hard.

"I know, and I'm sorry. There's nothing else I can do. Can't you see, Ginny? I did this for you! I thought you'd understand."

"I don't understand a thing, because you haven't explained anything," she snapped. Her anger and anguish was too much. She wouldn't be able to handle this anymore.

He closed his eyes, as if gathering what was left of his strength. "Gin, I love you. But I have to let you go. He's too strong. He'll kill you." He opened his eyes, locking them in hers. "And I'll have to watch him do it, or worse, do it myself."

"Voldemort?" She gave a harsh laugh. "He can't do anything to me. You should know that."

"So when I come to kill you, on his orders, you'll be able to see that and prevent it?" he asked, looking at her closely.

She froze, pausing. "Why would he do that?" she whispered.

"He knows."

Her eyes shifted from his face to the broken picture on the floor. "When we first got together," she started, "I promised you that, whatever happened, I'd stick through it all. And I plan to hold to that."

"When we first got together," he repeated her words, "I told you that it'd be dangerous. And it still is and will continue to be. Do you want me to kill you?"

"We could work things out," she replied faintly. "You can't kill. You couldn't kill Dumbledore three years ago. You wouldn't be able to kill me now." She was beginning to see sense in his words and they pained her. No, she wouldn't be able to prevent that. Draco was too head-strong and yet too weak for the Dark Lord.

"Three words, Ginny. The Imperius Curse."

And that was when she knew he was right.

"You know it would never work. It's best to end it now before it's too late." He lifted her chin up, forcing her to look into his eyes. "I have no choice."

"You could leave. You could always fucking leave."

"I can't. I'm bound to the oath I made."

"Many Death Eaters have gotten out of Voldemort's grasp. You can too. You don't need to con-"

"And have you seen what it has done to them?"

"It's better than being with him. The war is about to start. We'll win. I know it."

"Oh, Ginny. You've always been the brave one. But it won't work out, love. You yourself know it never does."

She stared at him, not believing it yet. All her previous anger was gone. She only wanted him. "I knew what we were doing was dangerous. But I took that risk when I came to you," she tried once more.

His arms found their way around her, pulling her close, her head resting on his chest. She felt safe and warm again; she always did when with him. Ginny let herself lean into his embrace, smelling the familiar musky scent he always carried. "I love you," she told him soberly.

"I know. I love you too. But you have to understand. I'm doing this for you."

She nodded, gently moving back. He was right. He always was. "I won't give up hope."

"Someday," he whispered in her ear, his hot breath caressing her neck. Pulling away, he turned and walked back to the door. She stared after him, watching the darkness of his cloak trail the ground. He faced her once more before letting the shadows consume him.

Someday.

Somehow.