Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I've Got My Eyes On You by little_kitty

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to all who reviewed. I appreciated your comments and feedback very much! Here is chapter two; hope you enjoy!
Chapter Two: Arousing Suspicions

“Harry! Watch where you’re going!” a shrill voice exclaimed.

Harry stopped dead in his tracks and realized that he had almost crashed into Hermione on his way to the Great Hall. All of his thoughts were focused on the set of instructions that he had just received, and he felt rather distracted.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Hermione,” Harry said.

“How’s your stomach ache?” she asked.

“Er… it’s loads better now,” Harry replied, putting on a falsely bright tone.

“That’s good.” Hermione nodded her head and gave Harry a look before continuing on. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Harry insisted, “I’m just… not feeling as well as I usually do.”

“I noticed,” Hermione said. “You seem to be oddly distracted.”

Harry fidgeted uncomfortably and desperately wished that Hermione would just change the subject.

“Er… well, you know…”

“Really, are you sure you’re all right?” Hermione asked, peering into his eyes. “I mean, you were just fine until the morning post arrived.”

Harry felt his face beginning to grow hot as he tried to break eye contact with Hermione. He couldn’t look at her honestly anymore; he spotted a glint of suspicion in her mocha brown eyes, and he knew that his facial expression didn’t make things any better. Hermione knows me too well. Still, he wanted to remain cool about the situation. There’s no point in getting worked up about it. Thank goodness Hermione isn’t a Legilimens.

When Harry failed to respond to her remark, Hermione raised an eyebrow. “Harry, you know, I’m starting to get the impression that what you received this morning was never really an advertisement. No other advertisement has ever made you act this way before. If there’s something you want to tell Ron and me, by all means say so! We’re your friends, Harry. You can trust us.” Her expression softened slightly as she said this.

Harry felt a pang of guilt and suddenly became very interested in his shoes. I can’t say anything or else something bad will happen to all three of us. I can’t “ I won’t let that occur.

“Well?” Hermione prodded.

Struggling to swallow the uncomfortable feeling that was building in the pit of his stomach, he forced himself to look Hermione in the eyes. “I-I swear there’s nothing wrong!” he said a little too forcefully.

“All right then, Harry, if that’s the way it’s going to be, then I guess we’ll just drop it,” Hermione said disappointedly, looking away. She spun around on her heel and walked off, leaving Harry standing alone, the guilty feeling inside him intensifying with every heartbeat.

****

Dinner was full of awkward silences, and it was almost more than Harry could bear. The mental battle in his mind was tearing him apart. Several times, he wondered if it would be worth it to just spill the truth to Ron and Hermione, but the same thought always restrained him in the end. No, I can’t. If I take this risk, Ron and Hermione are going to suffer the consequences of my actions. I’m protecting them by keeping it quiet.

“Feeling better, Harry?” asked Ron asked suddenly, breaking the silence as he poured himself a third goblet of pumpkin juice.

Harry jolted himself out of his thoughts. “A bit,” he replied, shrugging.

“You haven’t eaten much yet,” Hermione commented in between mouthfuls of food.

“I guess I’m just not that hungry,” Harry said nonchalantly, pouring gravy over his mashed potatoes.

“Hey,” Ron said conversationally. “About that advertisement you got this morning. Are you sure it wasn’t something else? Because “”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Harry cut in, trying hard not to snap at Ron. “Does it really matter who I get mail from?”

Ron looked hurt. “Fine, okay? I was just asking. You don’t have to get so worked up about it.”

“Well, you don’t have to badger me about it. If I want to talk about it, I’ll say something, okay?” Harry said, feeling irritated.

“Have either of you started the Transfiguration essay yet?” Hermione asked loudly, trying to change the subject. “I’ve been reading the material, and it’s incredibly complex.”

“Great,” Ron said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. “McGonagall assigned us to read about a million pages, and I’m sure I’ll have a hell of a good time doing that.”

“She’s nowhere as awful as Umbridge, though,” Hermione said evenly.

“I guess not,” Ron replied, shrugging.

“Well then, I think I’ll go to the library and get started now,” Hermione said, picking up her bag. “I’ll see you all in the common room later.”

Harry suddenly remembered that he had a task to carry out in the library. “Ron, I’ve got to go, too,” he said. “Madam Pomfrey told me to go back after dinner.”

He felt bad about lying to Ron, but he decided not to say anything until after the task was completed. After all, the letter didn’t say that I couldn’t tell anyone after the task was done, right? But on the other hand, can I really trust the person who has been sending me these letters? I’ve already received three, and this task doesn’t sound like a good idea.

Ron shot Harry a confused and worried look. “Are you all right, Harry? Since when did you start listening to what Madam Pomfrey had to say?”

“Dunno,” Harry replied, “but my stomach still hurts a bit. I’ll catch you later tonight.” He left his seat at the table and walked out of the Great Hall.

On his way back to his dormitory, he passed by a small group of fourth-year students. Among them was Colin Creevey.

“Hiya, Harry!” Colin said brightly. “Everything all right?”

“Oh… uh, hullo, Colin,” Harry said. “Yeah, everything’s fine, thanks.” He really wasn’t in the mood to talk to Colin right now.

“Cool! Well, I have to… uh, go now,” Colin said, suddenly sounding a little bit anxious, “so I-I’ll see you around, Harry!”

“See you,” Harry replied, as he watched Colin and the other students walk away.

But as he watched them turn around a corner, something caught his eye: a crumpled ball of parchment fell onto the ground. Was it Colin’s, or did it belong to one of Colin’s friends?

“Colin!” he called out, but there was no reply. He ran around the corner, but Colin and his friends were nowhere in sight.

Seeing that the corridor was nearly empty, he casually made his way back over to the parchment and quickly pocketed it when nobody was looking.

Swiftly, he headed back to his dormitory. He knew that time was running out, and every moment was precious. He was still having mixed feelings about the task. A part of him was dying to tell the truth to Ron and Hermione. Yet another part of him was anxious about what might happen if he didn’t keep this mission a secret.

Plunking himself onto his bed, he slowly unfolded the ball. The handwriting seemed vaguely familiar, yet it was very smudgy, almost as if water had spilled on the ink. Squinting slightly, he read:


You can’t run. You can’t hide. You can’t avoid this task because…


The rest was too blurry for him to read, but Harry knew what it said. You can’t avoid this task because I’ve got my eyes on you. It seemed pretty obvious to him. Could Colin or one of his friends possibly be the culprit? It seemed so unlikely, though.

Harry opened the drawer of his night table and pulled out some parchment and a quill. Might as well go to the library and look like I’m doing homework, he thought. To his dismay, he found yet another light-green envelope that was addressed to him. Feeling annoyed, he tore it open and read:


Dear Harry,

I’ve still got my eyes on you. Don’t think that you can get away with anything. Keep in mind that your decisions will determine whether or not you and your best friend(s) will face some abnormal consequences. I know that you haven’t started the task, and I know that you trashed the warning letter I sent to you when you went to the bathroom today. Use your time wisely. Get started.

Remember, I’m watching you.



For some reason, Harry was feeling unusually exhausted. He glanced at the clock on his night table. It was only 7:45 pm. I’ve still got time, he told himself, tossing the letter onto his night table and flopping onto his four-poster. I’ve still got time.


A/N: So what did you think of it so far? Please let me know how I can improve it.

Next chapter, Harry will carry out his task! *dun dun dun*