Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Realizing It's Never Too Late by Gryffindor Girl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Special thanks to my beta, AurorGirl101.

Chapter Two
Happy New Year


“Morning, dear,” said Michael, as Hermione descended the stairs and entered the kitchen.

“Morning,” said Hermione, yawning.

“Had another rough night?”

“Not… really.”

“At what time do we have to be at The Burrow tonight?” asked Michael.

“Seven,” replied Hermione.

“So, what do you want to do today?”

“It’s New Year’s Eve. There’s nothing to do.”

“I wanted to take you to that new restaurant near The Three Broomsticks. You know, The Den? What do you say?”

“I’ve been dying to go there! But are they open today?” asked Hermione.

“I think so, yeah,” said Michael, as he called the restaurant and made reservations for lunch.

---


“Welcome to The Den. Name?”

“Sandford… Michael Sandford. I called this morning.”

“Mr. Sandford. Pleasure to meet you,” said a lanky hostess, shaking Michael’s hand. “My name is Amanda. Please follow me.”

After being seated, Michael and Hermione ordered the house’s specialty: sushi.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing everyone again,” said Hermione. “You know Bill’s brilliant son, Philip? He just turned three-”

“I’m so sorry to interrupt, Mr. Sandford,” said Amanda, “but there’s a floo call for you.”

“Who is it?” Michael asked.

“Um, it’s your mother, sir.”

“Michael… How would she know where to find you?” asked Hermione.

“I told her we would be here,” replied Michael, matter-of-factly. “I’ll be right back, honey.”

A few minutes later, he returned.

“Beth is in the hospital,” Michael informed Hermione. Beth was Michael’s sweet younger sister. She was the only member of his family Hermione could get along with, probably because Beth was only three years older than her. She was also nine months pregnant.

“Oh my God! Is she okay? Is she in labour? How is she?”

“Calm down,” said Michael, laughing. “She’s okay. She’s not in labour yet. John took her to St. Mungo’s like an hour ago.”

“Shouldn’t we be there?”

“Mum said that we should enjoy the rest of the day, welcome the New Year happily, not in a hospital,” said Michael. “She said that Beth would probably give birth after midnight anyway and that they will call if there are any problems.”

“But let’s stop by the hospital on our way to The Burrow.”

“Honey, don’t worry about it. We’ll stop on our way back.”

“Okay. Wow… Baby number four…”

“Yes. Let’s just hope it’s the last one.”

“Why do you say that? It’s not bad to have many children,” said Hermione. “John and Beth are great parents! And look at Molly, for example! She managed to raise seven wonderful kids.”

“Didn’t you say the Weasleys were broke?”

Hermione gave him a severe look. “You know I didn’t say that.”

“I’m just saying…”

“That’s enough,” said Hermione.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart,” said Michael. “I don’t mean to be rude.”

“I’m sorry,” said Hermione, softening a bit.

“It’s okay,” said Michael. “Don’t worry.”

---


“Michael?”

“Hmmm?”

“I don’t feel so good,” said Hermione, who lay on her bed, tangled between her linen sheets in her fiancé’s arms.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Michael asked.

“I…” She quickly stood up and ran to the bathroom, where she proceeded to throw up her lunch.

“Are you okay?” asked Michael, helping Hermione up, dressing her in a soft nightgown, and taking her back to bed. After getting a robe on, he went downstairs to get her a glass of water.

As soon as she drank the water, Hermione felt a wave of relief wash over her. Her attention fell on Michael’s face, which had turned a funny shade of green.

“Michael?” she asked tentatively.

Michael ran to the bathroom where, he too, threw up part of his lunch.

He proceeded to throw himself on the bed, sweating profusely.

“Oh, God, it must have been the fish,” said Hermione. “I’ll get you some water.”

“Don’t… You’re sick too.”

“Michael, I’m fine. You look horrible. Besides, you know I didn’t eat that much.”

You didn’t eat that much? Hermione, you barely left food for me,” said Michael.

“Hello! Is anyone there?” called a man’s voice from the living room.

“Don’t move. I’ll go and check,” said Hermione, putting on a dressing gown.

“Hermione!” said the head floating in the living room’s fireplace.

Hermione recognized the man immediately. It was Liam, Michael’s best friend and business partner.

“Is Michael there?” he asked desperately.

“He’s upstairs. Liam, what’s wrong?”

“Those bloody French Muggles backed out on their offer!”

“Hang on. What ‘bloody French Muggles’ and what ‘offer’ are you talking about?” Hermione hardly ever understood what Liam and Michael were up to.

“Could you please call Michael?”

“He’s sick. He can barely stand.”

“What is it Liam?” called Michael’s weak voice from behind Hermione.

“Michael! I told you to stay in bed!”

“Hermione, this is important,” said Michael. “Okay, Liam. What’s wrong?”

As Liam proceeded to explain, Hermione made her way to the kitchen, where she looked for her copy of “The Healer’s Helpmate”, to see if she could find a potion to relief food poisoning. After concocting a very suspicious-looking potion, she poured it into two glasses and made her way back to the living room, where she found Michael discussing strategies with Liam.

“We have to get there and convince these people,” she heard Liam say. Michael, who was sitting on the couch, looked awful.

“Drink this,” Hermione told him.

“What is this?” asked Michael hesitantly.

This will get rid of any trace of food poisoning we have in our body,” said Hermione. Michael kept looking at the glass she was offering him with disgust. “I’m not trying to kill you, Michael…” she said annoyed.

“Go on, mate,” said Liam, trying to suppress his laughter. “Be a man.” The comment made Hermione chuckle. Michael reluctantly took the glass and gulped down the potion quickly; Hermione followed.

Michael let out a sigh, sign of the immense relief he felt.

“Good,” said Hermione. “Now Liam, if you’ll excuse us, we have to go and get ready.”

“What?” asked Michael, surprised.

“We have to be at The Burrow in an hour,” said Hermione.

“We are still going?”

“Ahem,” said Liam, who had been forgotten. “Who’s going where? And when?”

“Um, The Weasleys invited us to spend New Year’s Eve at their home in Ottery St. Catchpole,” said Michael.

“Oh,” said Liam. “Michael, you know we have to take care of this as soon as possible.”

“I know, I know,” said Michael.

“What do you think if we go to Paris tomorrow morning?” asked Liam. “I’m sure it won’t take more than a couple of days.”

Michael looked at Hermione.

“Don’t look at me,” she said. “Do what you have to do.”

“Okay, Liam. Call my secretary and tell her to take care of the travel arrangements,” said Michael.

“Michael, what makes you think your secretary will be working today?” asked Hermione.

“Right,” said Michael. “Liam?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it,” said Liam. “I’ll just make a few calls. Be ready to leave by tomorrow morning.”

“Okay,” said Michael.

“Bye then,” said Liam. “Take care, Hermione.”

“You too,” replied Hermione.

As Liam’s head disappeared, Hermione headed upstairs to get ready.

Once she was in her bedroom, she headed to her closet, where she picked out a simple black dress.

“Michael, we have to be ready in thirty minutes!” Hermione called downstairs after taking a shower. Michael quickly went upstairs and entered the closet to get his clothes.

After she got her hair ready (by applying liberal amounts of Sleekeazy’s Hair Potion) and putting on some makeup, Hermione picked out some jewellery and put on her dress.

Just as she was grabbing her purse, Michael came out of the bathroom.

“You look absolutely stunning,” he said.

Hermione smiled.

“Shall we?” he asked her, offering her his arm.

“We shall,” she replied, giggling.

With that, they Apparated to The Burrow.

Once they got to the front of the house, Hermione felt pure joy. She missed the Weasleys. She missed Molly’s cooking, Arthur’s questioning about Muggles, Fred and George’s jokes… She missed The Burrow.

“Well,” said Michael, “what are we waiting for?”

Hermione started walking toward the house.

As she approached the door, she heard music playing, laughter, children running around the house.

“Everyone must be already here,” she said.

As soon as she knocked the door, Bill answered.

“Hermione! It’s been ages!” he said, hugging her.

Hermione beamed.

“You’re exaggerating. Er, do you remember Michael?” she asked Bill.

“Of course!” said Bill, shaking Michael’s hand. “The fiancé, I’ve heard,” he said, looking at Hermione.

Hermione smirked.

“Hermione, dear!” exclaimed a woman behind Hermione.

As Hermione turned around, she saw Molly Weasley making her way across the room from the kitchen.

“Molly!” she said, giving Molly a hug and a kiss.

“You’re… engaged!” Molly exclaimed.

Hermione smiled.

“How are you, Michael?” Molly asked.

“Very good, Mrs. Weasley,” replied Michael.

“Well, darlings, welcome,” said Molly.

As Hermione entered the living room, she knew where all the noise was coming from.

Fred and Angelina’s children “Angie, Matthew, and Ryan- were running around, playing hide and seek with Bill and Fleur’s three-year-old son, Philip; Arthur was sitting on his favourite chair next to the wireless, trying to remain awake; Fred and George were talking to Harry in a corner; George’s girlfriend, a beautiful, tall, blonde Italian named Paola, was talking to Fleur and Angelina; Ginny was sitting on the couch, talking to Charlie.

When everyone noticed Hermione and Michael’s presence, the room went a bit quiet. Then it suddenly erupted in chatter. Everyone was congratulating the newly engaged couple.

The evening went along as planned. Hermione played with the kids, exchanged anecdotes with Harry and Ginny, talked about Fred and George’s business and how it was booming, talked about the triplets…

Hermione had the chance to talk to Paola. She had to admit: the girl was smart. She was a student at Oxford University that moved to England when she was ten years old. Although she was a witch, she had decided to attend Oxford to please her Muggle parents. She was studying law.

“Molly, haven’t you noticed that every single son of yours falls in love with a foreign woman?” asked Hermione jokingly.

“Well I couldn’t say that every son of mine falls in love with a foreign woman,” replied Molly, giving Hermione a knowing smile, “but I can definitely say that every son of mine has fallen in love with an extremely talented and charming woman.”

Hermione remained silent.

As the clock marked midnight, everyone cheered. Then George raised his voice claiming he had something very important to say.

“Paola,” he said, “I’ve been meaning to ask you a question.”

He got down on one knee and took out a ring.

“George… What are you doing?” asked Paola nervously.

“Paola… Will you marry me?” George asked.

“Oh my gosh… Y- Yes!” was Paola’s answer.

As George got up and kissed Paola, Hermione saw tears spilling from Molly’s eyes.

“We have to celebrate!” Molly said. “I’ll get the drinks!”

“Don’t worry, Molly,” said Hermione. “I’ll get them.”

“Thanks, dear. The tray is ready on the counter,” said Molly.

Hermione nodded and headed to the kitchen.

She spotted the glass tray immediately. As Hermione got out a bottle of champagne, she heard commotion in the living room. As she exited the kitchen, tray in hand, Hermione froze.

Ron was standing right in front of her.

She just stood there, gaping at him. She lost her grip on the tray and everything crashed to the floor. That seemed to bring her back to earth. Hermione clamped her left hand over her heart. She immediately felt Ron’s gaze go to her engagement ring.

“Molly, I’m- I’m so sorry…” Hermione said as she bent down to pick up the pieces of shattered glass.

“Oh, don’t worry, dear,” said Molly, hurrying to help Hermione. “Reparo!

Ginny got up and raised Hermione to her feet. She led her to the kitchen.

“Hermione, are you okay?” asked Michael.

“Oh yes! She’s fine!” said Ginny, with a bit of nervous laughter. “She must be tired, that’s all!”

As Ginny sat Hermione down on a chair by the kitchen table, chatter slowly started again. Ginny heard Harry tell Ron: “Why don’t we take a walk in the garden?” and Arthur saying: “Michael, come and see the new things Fred and George have been working on…”

“Hermione?” Ginny said tentatively. “Are you okay?”

Hermione didn’t reply.

“Ginny,” said Molly as she entered the kitchen, “get me that vial of Invigoration Draught I have in the cupboard.”

“Mum,” said Ginny, as she got up, “she’s not doing anything.”

“Just give it to me,” said Molly. Ginny did as she was told.

“Hermione, dear,” said Molly, taking Hermione’s hand and giving her the potion, “I want you drink this.”

Hermione looked at Molly, then at the vial on her hand, and slowly brought the vial to her lips. As soon as she drank the potion, she threw up on the floor.

“Oh, dear,” said Molly. “Scourgify!

“Are you alright?” asked Ginny.

“Why did no one tell me Ron was coming?” asked Hermione slowly.

“We didn’t know,” explained Ginny. “I think Ron wanted to surprise us.”

“He certainly surprised me,” said Hermione.

“Hermione, does Michael know anything about you and Ron?” asked Ginny.
“No,” said Hermione. “We have never talked about previous relationships.”

“I don’t think you should tell him,” said Ginny. “I just don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“I don’t plan to,” said Hermione as she slowly got up. “I- I better go. Thank you for everything, Molly.”

“It was my pleasure,” Molly replied, giving Hermione a hug.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Ginny told Hermione. “We have lots to talk about.”

“Uh-huh,” said Hermione absentmindedly. With that, she exited the kitchen to look for Michael.

After saying goodbye to everyone, congratulating George and Paola, and apologizing for leaving so suddenly (even though everyone told her that her apologies were not necessary), Hermione was ready to leave. As she was going to walk out the door with Michael, Ron came in.

“Hello, Hermione,” said Ron after a moment of awkward silence.

“Hello, Ron,” said Hermione.

“Hello,” said Michael, shaking Ron’s hand. “I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m-”

“Michael Sandford,” Ron interrupted, leaving Michael with a confused expression on his face. “The fiancé. Nice to meet you.”

“Er, Michael,” said Molly awkwardly, “this is my youngest son, Ron.”

“Nice to meet you too, Ron,” said Michael politely, although Hermione knew he was trying to remain cool with all his might.

“It was nice seeing you again, Ron,” said Hermione quickly. “Good night.”

As Hermione and Michael exited The Burrow, Ron walked into the living room. Everyone was staring at him.

“Smooth, Ron. Smooth,” said Fred.

---


“What did just happen in there?” said Michael as they walked away from The Burrow.

Hermione didn’t reply.

“Hermione, are you listening to me?”

“I- I’m sorry,” she said. “I don’t feel so good.”

“Do you want to head home?”

“No… We have to go to St. Mungo’s to be with Beth. Let’s go,” said Hermione.

In a matter of seconds, they got to London. They were standing outside the window displays of Purge and Dowse Ltd. After entering the hospital they went directly to Beth’s room.

Michael’s parents were in the waiting room. Mrs. Sandford, a tall, thin blonde who was in her early fifties, stood up immediately after she saw Michael and Hermione.

“Michael! Finally! Beth is really far along,” she said.

“Hello to you too, Mother,” said Michael.

“Hello, darling,” she said, giving him a kiss on each cheek.

“Hello, Mrs. Sandford,” said Hermione.

“Hermione, darling, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Elizabeth?”

“Lizzie, dear, she doesn’t feel comfortable calling you by your name,” said Mr. Sandford, standing up.

Mr. Sandford was a tall, good looking man who, Hermione assumed, could not be over the age of fifty-five.

“Hello, Mr. Sandford,” said Hermione.

“How are you, Hermione?” he asked.

“Fine, thank you,” Hermione replied. “How’s Beth? Is she alone?”

“Oh, she’s fine,” said Mrs. Sandford. “She’s with John.”

“And where are the kids?” asked Michael.

“At home with the nanny,” replied Mrs. Sandford.

“Can we go in to see her?” asked Hermione.

“Of course, of course, go in,” said Mr. Sandford.

Hermione entered the room. Beth was lying on the bed, looking tired. John was sitting by her side.

“Beth!” said Hermione. “How are you?”

“Hermione! Michael! I’m great!” replied Beth. “I’m so glad you’re both here!”

“This feels like a routine procedure by now,” said John, as he shook Michael’s hand.

Michael laughed.

“Sure,” said Beth. “Laugh all you want! You’re not the ones who have to push a baby through-”

“So Beth!” interrupted Hermione. “How are the kids?” Beth had three boys: Spencer, Marcus, and Andrew. She had always wanted girls; last year, when she found out she was having Andrew, she had to be institutionalized for a month. But even though that was the case, the honest truth was: those boys were her life. Beth was a terrific mother.

“Oh, they’re good,” replied Beth. “They’re really excited.”

“Mr. Lancaster?” said the healer standing by the door. “May I come in?”

“Of course,” said John.

“How are we doing? Are we ready?” asked the healer.

“Yes, we are,” said Beth.

---


An hour later, Beth was just exhausted.

“Okay, Beth,” said the healer. “One more push and it’s over, don’t worry!”

Beth pushed, and just like that, she heard the sound of her baby, crying.

“Oh my goodness!” exclaimed the healer. “Beth, it’s a girl!”

What?” said an exhausted Beth. “John, we- we have a girl!” she said through tears.

John smiled at her.

---


After saying goodnight to everyone, Michael and Hermione headed home.

“I feel so happy,” said Hermione, leaning against the wall. “Beth has always wanted a girl.”

“Yes, I know. She deserves it,” said Michael. “Hermione, can I ask you something?”

“Of course,” she replied. “What is it?”

“What’s the story behind Molly’s son, the edgy one? Didn’t you and Harry go to Hogwarts with him?”

“Er, yeah, but… he was always much closer to Harry,” she said. “I don’t know him that well. Why do you ask?”

“Oh, no reason,” said Michael. “No reason at all. Let’s forget about them. Let’s forget about all of them,” he said, leaning dangerously close to Hermione. His hands wrapped around her waist as he nuzzled her neck.

“Michael… I’m tired,” said Hermione. “I’m not in the mood. I told you I don’t feel so good. All this Apparition is making me feel… a bit woozy.”

Michael stepped away to look at her. Her face looked a bit pale.

“Are you alright?”

Hermione shook her head, grimacing. Seconds later she threw up in the middle of the corridor, missing Michael by an inch or two.

“Oh God,” said Michael. “Let’s get you into bed.” He picked her up and took her into the bedroom.

---


Hermione woke up at nine a.m. the next day. She felt her head was going to explode. As she looked around the room, she realized that Michael’s side of the bed was empty. Then she noticed a note laying on her nightstand, next to a glass of water and a small bottle full of a clear liquid.

Hermione:

I hate leaving you like this but I need to go to Paris to sort this mess out. Please take that potion I left on your nightstand; it’s for the huge migraine you must be having right now. I called Ben and he told me he would see you in St. Mungo’s at ten. You must go and see him; I know it must be nothing, but I don’t want you to get even sicker than you are right now. I’ll be back in two days. I’m sorry I didn’t say goodbye properly. I didn’t want to wake you.

Love, Michael


“I knew he would call Ben,” thought Hermione grimly.

She drank the potion Michael left her, but she had a tough time trying to keep it down.

She got up as fast as she could and took a shower. By ten a.m. she was in the hospital.

Benjamin Hunt was one of Michael’s oldest friends. He became a healer after graduating from Hogwarts and now he worked in St. Mungo’s, treating potion and plant poisoning.

Hermione quickly made her way to the third floor to see Ben.

“Hermione!” he exclaimed when he saw her.

“Hi, Ben,” said Hermione. “I’m so sorry about this. I didn’t want to bother you but it seems Michael insisted.”

“Don’t worry about it. You know I don’t mind. Let’s go inside,” he said, referring to a small room.

Inside the room there was a small desk and two chairs.

“So, how are you?” he asked.

“Exhausted,” replied Hermione, laughing. “We were up until three a.m. last night.”

“Yes, I know,” said Ben. “Michael told me Beth gave birth. She had a girl, right?”

“Yes. They named her Charlotte.”

“I’m happy for her,” said Ben. “Now, about you-”

“Ben, I don’t have any-”

“Hermione,” he said, “don’t make me beg. I promised Michael I would find out what’s going on with you, whether it’s physical, or emotional, or both.”

Hermione sighed heavily.

“Look, I’m just going to run a few simple tests to find out what you have. We’ll find out in a matter of minutes,” said Ben. He stood up and proceeded to draw a sample of blood.

Just as he promised, a smiling Ben was back with Hermione’s test results within minutes.

“With that expression you have on your face, I seriously doubt I have a life threatening illness,” said Hermione, as Ben sat down behind his desk. “Can I say I told you so?”

“You’re definitely full of surprises,” he said.

“What do you mean?” she asked, very curious.

“Hermione,” said Ben, “you’re not ill. You’re pregnant.”