Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Realizing It's Never Too Late by Gryffindor Girl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
This one is for Claudia and Paola, my awesome fan girls.

Chapter Five
Breaking News


“Michael, I’m leaving,” Hermione whispered.

“What time is it?” he mumbled.

“It’s a quarter to seven.”

Hermione was already dressed and ready to go to Hogwarts. Today she was going to talk to Professor McGonagall. She was going to announce her engagement, wedding and pregnancy. All at the same time.

“Good luck,” said Michael sleepily.

Hermione decided to apparate to the front of the school, since it was freezing outside. Once she found herself in front of the main gates, she proceeded to walk towards the castle quickly.

As she approached the Headmistress’ office, she practiced the speech in her head. She became nervous. It would be very difficult to resign from a post she loved so much, but after a couple of hours Michael had managed to persuade her.

He has a point, she thought. She wanted to be with the baby indefinitely after the birth, and she certainly did not want a nanny to take care of it. She didn’t feel comfortable thinking that a stranger would raise her baby. So the only solution to their problem was that Hermione stayed home.

After muttering the password and going up the stairs, Hermione knocked softly on Professor McGonagall’s door.

“Come in,” said McGonagall.

“Good morning, Professor,” said Hermione.

“Good morning, Hermione. How were the holidays?”

“They… they were good,” said Hermione.

“So, what is the purpose of your visit? You don’t usually come to visit me at seven in the morning. Sit down.”

“Well… Professor, I… I really have no idea where to start,” said Hermione anxiously.

“Just… say it,” said Professor McGonagall, surprisingly, smiling.

“Well, Michael proposed over Christmas,” said Hermione, loosening a bit.

“Really? That’s wonderful news! Congratulations,” the professor replied earnestly.

“We are getting married next month.”

“Oh,” said McGonagall, taken aback. “Next month? Well, that is an awfully short time to plan a wedding.”

“Well, Professor… It’s his mother… Well, um the fact is, that, um…”

“Yes?”

“Professor McGonagall, I’m pregnant.”

There was a moment of silence.

“I’m sorry? I didn’t quite catch that,” said Professor McGonagall slowly.

“I’m pregnant. His mother is pressuring us to get married by next month.”

“Oh, my… Hermione, you’re pregnant?”

Hermione nodded.

“Well… congratulations! I’m happy for you!”

“Thank you. Well… Professor, there is something else.”

“Oh, dear… What is it?”

“I have discussed this with Michael and we both agree it would be better if I resign from my post as the Transfiguration Professor.”

There was a long pause.

“I don’t understand,” said McGonagall. “Why?”

“Well, the thing is, I really won’t be able to plan a wedding while teaching,” said Hermione, “and after the wedding I’m going on my honeymoon, which is probably going to be about two months long. After I come back I will have to start making room for the baby, and after I give birth I want to spend as much time possible with it.”

“I see. Well, you can’t imagine how sorry I am to hear that,” said the professor sincerely. “We’re all going to miss you. Especially your students.”

Hermione smiled.

“Are you sure about this? Don’t you want to think it over?”

“I’ve already decided.”

“Then you should know that our doors will always be open for you.”

“Thank you,” said Hermione.

“You can leave as soon as Friday,” said McGonagall. “I’m sure we’ll manage to find a Transfiguration professor by then. Are you going to class after this meeting is over?”

“Yes.”

“Are you planning to tell the students about your pregnancy?”

“I’m just going to announce my engagement,” said Hermione.

“Very well, then,” said McGonagall. “Is there anything else you wanted to talk to me about?”

“No, that was about it,” said Hermione.

“I want to thank you, Hermione. You have been a wonderful teacher, one of the best I have ever seen. And one of the best students Hogwarts has ever had.”

“Thank you, Professor. For everything.”


After the somewhat awkward meeting with McGonagall, Hermione found herself waiting for her next class in her office. She couldn’t concentrate. She felt awful now that she had quit her job. But she knew it was for the best, just like Michael had said.

After a few minutes she got tired of waiting and took a look at the clock. 8:40 a.m. She had just enough time to go and send an owl to Ginny to tell her she was going over to visit this evening.

I’ll go by the house after school. Big news.

Love,
Hermione


---


“Harry can you put that pillow under my feet please?”

“Honestly, Ginny, I know you can’t do it yourself but can you just stop interrupting me every five minutes? I’m supposed to be working,” said Harry, who was seated at his desk surrounded by mounds of paperwork.

“Oh, Harry, your work hours are over by now,” said Ginny. Harry worked as an Unspeakable in the Department of Mysteries.

“I have to make up for every time I got interrupted during the day,” he replied.

“I’m sorry! I know you hate working from home because you get stuck with all the paperwork and then I interrupt you too much but I can’t stay with Mum all day. I won’t be able to stand it,” said Ginny.

“What are we going to do when the babies are born? I have to go back someday and you can’t deal with three babies all by yourself,” said Harry.

“I guess I’ll have to go crazy, then,” said Ginny.

“Oh, please, Molly is not that bad.”

“Well, obviously you haven’t been with her for a whole day.”

A knock from the door interrupted the conversation.

“I guess this day is over for me,” said Harry, putting away the papers he was working on. He stood up to open the door.

“Hi, Harry,” said Hermione, who stood freezing at the Potters’ front door.

“Hi,” said Harry. “Come in before you freeze to death. Ginny is in the living room.”

Hermione quickly walked over to the living room and gave Ginny a hug and a kiss.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

“Like labour cannot come soon enough,” replied Ginny. “I’m getting really uncomfortable. But how are you feeling?”

“I’m okay,” said Hermione wanly.

“Oh, when you say it like that I can really see you mean it,” said Ginny sarcastically.

“I quit my job today,” said Hermione.

What?” asked Ginny. “You love your job! How could you quit?”

“I talked to Michael and we both agreed it was for the best.”

“Screw Michael!” exclaimed Ginny.

“Oh, Ginny, please…” said Harry.

“Is that really what you want?” continued Ginny. “You were so happy about your job! I can’t believe you quit!”

“Ginny, I just have too much going on in my life right now; I can’t go to work just when I feel like it.”

“What is so important that requires your absence from work?” asked Ginny.

“I went to see Michael’s parents to Bedford yesterday,” said Hermione, ignoring Ginny.

Ginny sighed heavily.

“What did they say?” asked Harry.

“Oh, his mother completely flipped,” said Hermione matter-of-factly. “But at least his father was ‘happy’ about it.”

“I’m sorry,” said Ginny.

“Oh, Ginny, don’t be sorry for that. Be sorry for the fact that I’m getting married next month,” said Hermione, her voice breaking as she started to cry.

Ginny looked at Harry in utter shock.

“What?” asked Harry when Ginny was left speechless.

“That’s why I had to quit. I have to plan a wedding in less than a month, I’ll be on my honeymoon when I’m through with that, and then I won’t be able to go to Hogwarts because I’ll be too pregnant by then,” said Hermione, trying to dry her face as she talked. “They all think it’s the best thing to do.”

“They can’t make you do this, Hermione! You can’t let them!” said Ginny, who had also started to cry.

“They already did,” said Hermione.

“But, Hermione! If the wedding’s next month, that means that I… It means that we…” Ginny choked on a sob, covering her face with her hands. Hermione stood up and hugged her.

“I’m so sorry, Ginny!” said Hermione, sobbing as well. “I wanted you to be my maid of honour and everything!”

“No, I’m sorry!” said Ginny. And they just sat there, hugging each other, leaving Harry feeling awkward.

After a few minutes the tears had stopped flowing and everybody was quiet.

“I really am sorry,” said Hermione. “I tried… But they just kept pushing me and pressuring me…”

“I know, Hermione,” said Ginny.

“You were going to be my guests of honour!” said Hermione, starting to cry again.

“It’s okay,” said Harry.

“No! It’s not okay!” said Hermione angrily. “You should both be there with me on my wedding day! You’re my family!”

“I wish I could be there,” said Ginny sadly, “but I’m too far along to be moving from place to place.”

“I understand,” said Hermione quietly.

“Hey, Mum wanted me to tell you that you are invited to dinner next Sunday,” Ginny told Hermione, trying to lighten the mood by changing the subject. “Michael is invited as well, of course. Everybody is going to be there…”

“Ginny, I really don’t think that’s a good idea,” said Hermione, trying to dry her face.

“Ron’s not going,” said Ginny. “He has to go to Australia.”

Hermione smiled, looking at Ginny curiously.

“Why is it that you automatically assume this has to do with Ron?” she asked.

“Because it does have to do with Ron, doesn’t it?” said Ginny.

Hermione’s smile faded. She nodded slowly.

“Please come, Hermione. We all miss you terribly. Even I’m going, although I’m not supposed to. I begged Harry,” said Ginny, giggling. “Please…

“Alright, alright,” said Hermione, “but I’m doing this only for you and Molly.”

Ginny grinned.

---


“What took you so long?” demanded Michael, getting up from the couch.

“Hello to you, too,” replied Hermione.

“I have been worried sick about you!”

“What are you talking about? I left you a message with your secretary!”

“Susan?”

“Yes! I specifically remember telling her to tell you I was going to visit Harry and Ginny after school.”

“I never… Oh, never mind,” said Michael quickly.

“What?” asked Hermione, curious.

“It’s nothing,” said Michael. “I’m sorry. Forget about it. Anyway… How was your day?”

“I talked to Professor McGonagall.”

“And? What did she say?”

“Well, I took her by surprise. She was a bit shocked at first but afterwards she was very understanding. She told me I was free to go after Friday.”

“That’s good. What about your students?”

“Oh, they were thrilled. Well, the girls were,” said Hermione, smiling.

“Why? Are you that bad?”

“No! It’s just that they’re happy, because according to them, I’m marrying a ‘regulation hottie.’ Oh, and they’re just dying to meet you.”

Michael laughed.

“Yeah, I know,” said Hermione. “I laughed too… Um, I’m going to bed. I’m very tired.”

“Okay,” said Michael. “I’ll be upstairs in a bit. Have a good night.”

And with that, Hermione went to her room.

---


Sunday arrived rather quickly. Hermione felt it arrived a little too soon. On Friday, the faculty and staff of the school threw her a surprise going-away party that really made Hermione cry a lot. And her students were sobbing with her as she promised she would visit often.

Now she was standing in front of The Burrow, gathering up the courage to walk up to the door and knock.

After a couple of minutes she knocked softly on the door. She was very nervous. What would they say when they saw her? What if they could tell she was pregnant right away?

“You’re paranoid,” she told herself.

A few seconds later Bill opened the door with Philip (who was drinking milk from a bottle) in his arms.

“Hi,” said Hermione. “Hello, Philip!”

The three year old grinned brightly.

“Hello,” said Bill, giving her a one-armed hug. “Michael’s not with you?”

“No, he… couldn’t come.”

“Well, come in,” said Bill. “Mum’s in the kitchen trying to teach Charlie how to cook.”

“Uncle Charlie has a knew erlfriend,” said Philip.

Bill and Hermione laughed.

“Does he?” asked Hermione looking at Bill.

He nodded.

“Hello,” said Hermione as she entered the kitchen. “How is the cooking lesson going?”

“Hermione, dear! You made it!” exclaimed Molly, giving Hermione a kiss. “How are you? Everything okay? You look very nice.”

“Thank you,” said Hermione. “Hi, Charlie.”

“Hi,” he replied.

“What is this I’m hearing about a new girlfriend?”

“Who told you?” asked Charlie quickly.

“Philip,” replied Hermione, trying to contain her laughter.

“He catches on fast,” mumbled Charlie.

"Where is everybody?" asked Hermione.

“Fleur is in the living room with Bill and Philip. The rest are on their way,” said Charlie.

“Arthur is getting dressed,” said Molly.

“Can I help with anything?” asked Hermione.

“Just sit,” said Molly. “We have everything under control. Besides, Charlie needs practice.”

“When are we going to meet your new girlfriend, Charlie?” asked Hermione.

“You’re not,” replied Charlie.

“He doesn’t want us to meet her!” said Molly, sounding offended.

“Poor bloke thinks we’re going to scare her away,” said Bill, coming into the kitchen.

“It’s not that,” said Charlie seriously. “It’s just too early to bring her here.”

“Hello everyone!” said Fred from the living room.

“Nana!” yelled Matt, Angie, and Ryan in unison, running into the kitchen.

“My darlings! How are you!” exclaimed Molly, giving each one of them a kiss.

“Matt and Ryan keep teasing me!” said Angie.

“Boys! You should take care of your little sister,” said Molly.

“They should know that,” said Angelina, coming into the kitchen and sitting down next to Hermione. “Hi, Hermione.”

“Hi,” said Hermione, smiling. “Quite a handful, aren’t they?”

“Oh, you get used to it after a while. How are you?”

“Everything’s fine,” said Hermione.

Shortly after that, George and Paola arrived, and a few minutes after them, Ginny and Harry made their grand entrance.

“Okay, everyone! Dinner is ready!” yelled Molly from the kitchen.

Everybody sat down and began to eat.

“Everything looks delicious, Molly,” said Hermione.

“Thanks, dear, but of course I can’t take all the credit. Charlie helped a lot.”

After dinner, everyone sat by the fire in the living room, chatting and not noticing the time.

“Hermione, tell me, have you settled on a date yet?” asked Molly.

That was the precise question Hermione did not want to hear.

“Mum, it’s too soon“”

“It’s okay, Ginny,” said Hermione calmly. “Yes, Molly, we decided to get married on February 12.”

“But that’s so soon!” exclaimed Molly.

“Well, I… I have to make an announcement,” said Hermione.

Everybody remained silent.

“I’m having a baby.”

“A baby!” shrieked Molly. “Hermione! That is wonderful!” She quickly stood up and gave Hermione a hug and a kiss. As Molly held her, Hermione began crying.

“Shh, it’s alright,” said Molly, rubbing Hermione’s back.

“I’m so sorry. It’s these bloody hormones!” sobbed Hermione. “I just… I thought you would be disappointed.”

“Well, only a little,” said Molly, smiling warmly. “Babies come after marriage, after all.”

“That’s why we are getting married so soon,” explained Hermione, drying her tears with a tissue Harry gave her. “Gosh… I thought you would go mad.”

“Well, she took it a lot better than Ron did,” said George.

“Oh, George...” mumbled Paola, covering her face with her hands.

Hermione froze.

“What?” she managed to ask. “Ron… knows?

“Yes,” said the Twins in unison.

“Merlin… It was priceless. We thought he would kill“”

“Fred!” yelled Ginny. “Stop! Honestly! Opening your mouth is the equivalent of messing things up!”

While this little argument took place, Hermione sat motionless on her seat.

“Hermione,” asked Ginny, “are you okay?”

She nodded.

“I just… I never thought about Ron finding out.”

“I told him,” said Harry.

“We both did,” said Ginny. “We thought he should know.”

“It’s okay,” said Hermione.

“Hermione, do you want some tea?” asked Molly.

“No, I’m fine,” said Hermione. “I… I should go. Michael is waiting for me.”

“Stay a little longer,” pleaded Ginny.

“I can’t. I’m exhausted,” said Hermione. “Dinner was wonderful, Molly. Thanks for having me.”

“You can have dinner here as much as you want. You do not need an invitation,” said Molly.

“Thanks,” said Hermione, smiling wanly. “Bye, everyone.”

“Bye,” everybody said in unison.

---


Hermione got to Hogsmeade quickly. She arrived just a few steps away from the house’s front gate.

As she passed through the garden she noticed the house was dark.

“That can’t be,” she said to herself.

As she entered the house she confirmed her suspicion: Michael was not home and apparently he had been gone for a while, because there was no trace of a fire in the living room’s fireplace and the kitchen was spotless.

After waiting for an hour, Hermione decided she wouldn’t worry about Michael and went to bed. She was exhausted, and she would need energy to get through the next day.

Tomorrow was going to be the first day of her unemployed life.