Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Realizing It's Never Too Late by Gryffindor Girl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Six
Planning and Preparing


After a good night’s sleep, Hermione woke up at ten the next morning.

There were no signs of Michael, but the messy sheets next to her told her that he had slept next to her that night.

She slowly got up and grabbed her robe, heading for the kitchen.

As she switched on the kettle, the doorbell rang.

Hermione sighed heavily, hoping that it wasn’t Elizabeth Sandford standing at the other side of the door.

But it was Beth.

“Hi!” she said brightly.

“Hi! Good Morning! Come in!” said Hermione.

“Did I wake you up?” asked Beth.

“No! I’m making tea. Let’s go into the kitchen,” said Hermione. “How are the boys and Charlotte?”

“Oh, well they’re fine. At home with the nannies.”

“Nannies? As in more than one?” asked Hermione, surprised.

“Well, we had to hire two more.”

“Gosh, that must be expensive,” said Hermione.

“It is,” said Beth matter-of-factly, “but I barely notice these days. Before I forget, I got you the number of my healer… Well, he’s not really a healer… He’s a doctor, an ob/gyn. I thought you would need it eventually so I brought you his card. You don’t mind if he’s a Muggle doctor, do you?”

“No. But why did you pick an ob/gyn over a healer?” asked Hermione.

“Well, because these people are actually trained to deal with pregnancy. It didn’t make much sense to me to get someone that specializes in magical maladies and injuries to deliver my baby and take care of me during my pregnancy. The only reason I had Charlotte in St. Mungo’s was because John got paranoid at the last minute,” explained Beth.

“Yes, it does make sense,” said Hermione.

“Listen, the reason I’m visiting for is that I want to take you shopping to London today,” said Beth. “We are going to look for at invitations for the engagement party and the wedding, and we are going to get you the most amazing engagement dress ever. What do you think?”

“That’s great,” said Hermione. “Um, did your parents decide on a date for the party yet?”

“Yes. Mum told me they are throwing the party on January 15.”

“You mean next Monday?”

“Yes. Why? Too soon?” asked Beth.

“No. It’s fine. It just means I have a lot of work to do,” said Hermione.

“Oh, Mum said you shouldn’t worry about that. She’ll take care of the engagement party.”

“Oh, okay,” said Hermione. “Um, I’m going to get dressed.”

Ten minutes later, Hermione was making her way down the stairs.

“I’m ready,” she told Beth.

“Well, let’s go.”

“Are we apparating?” asked Hermione.

“Well, since you can’t apparate anymore and floo powder is too messy, at least for me, I asked Hugo to give us a lift,” said Beth.

“Who’s Hugo?” asked Hermione.

“My driver,” said Beth.

“He is going to take us all the way to London?” asked Hermione.

“Sure. We’ll be there quickly enough,” said Beth.

And to Hermione’s utter amazement, Beth was right.

Hugo dropped them off in front of Harrods, where Beth said she had made an appointment. After meeting their hostess, they headed over to the women’s wear area.

After trying on numerous dresses, Hermione became frustrated. She was yet to be impressed by a dress.

“Let me see if one of my employees can help us,” said the hostess. “Christine, can you come over here for a minute?”

The young girl came quickly.

“Yes?”

“Do you think you can find something for her,” said the hostess, pointing at Hermione, “for her engagement party? A cocktail dress or something?”

“I think I have just what you’re looking for,” said Christine. “I’ll be right back.”

Within a couple of minutes Christine came back.

“Oh my…” gasped Hermione.

Christine was carrying one of the most beautiful dresses she had ever seen.

“Hermione!” exclaimed Beth. “This is it!”

Hermione tried it on the minute it touched her hands.

As she saw herself in the mirror, she could not believe her eyes.

The dress was a stunning strapless cocktail dress of taupe lace with a scalloped hem. It had a full skirt and a fitted corset accented with hundreds of tiny golden sequins. Hermione looked breathtaking.

“I’ll take it!”

---


By the time Hermione got home, she was exhausted. She walked around London all day. She picked out the invitations with Beth, but they were unable to order them because the guest list was still not done.

As they walked into the study, Beth and Hermione found Michael sitting at his desk, with a lot of paperwork strewn around him.

“Hello, girls. Had fun today?” asked Michael, as Beth and Hermione sat down on an oversized leather couch.

“Kill me,” said Beth. “I’m too old for this.”

“Oh please, Beth! You’re only twenty four years old!” exclaimed Hermione.

“Too old for what?” asked Michael.

“Shopping,” explained Hermione.

“I better get going,” said Beth. “I’m glad we could spend the day together, Hermione.”

“Me too,” said Hermione. “Thank you so much for everything. Especially the dress.”

“It’s my wedding present! Besides, what are maids of honour for?” Beth asked Hermione, giving her a wink. “I really have to go,” she said, taking a look at her watch. “John must be waiting for me. See you!”

“Bye!” said Hermione.

“Did you have a good day?” asked Michael.

“Oh, yes, although very tiring,” said Hermione. “We got to do loads of stuff.”

“Listen,” said Michael, “Mum told me she’s coming over tomorrow to plan the actual wedding. I thought maybe I could take the day off from work. What do you think?”

“That would be wonderful,” said Hermione. “I’m knackered. I’m going to bed. Wake me up early, ok? I don’t want to be in bed when your mother gets here.”

“Consider it done,” said Michael.

Hermione gave Michael a quick peck on the cheek and went to bed.

---


The next morning Michael woke Hermione up at nine.

“Wake up, sunshine,” he said. “Breakfast is ready. I’ll wait for you in the dining room.”

Hermione got dressed quickly to join Michael.

“Did you have a good night’s sleep?” he asked.

“Yes, I did,” she replied brightly.

“Listen, I was thinking, maybe we should hire a housekeeper,” said Michael.

“A full-time housekeeper?”

“Yes,” replied Michael, “so you won’t have to work around the house. Do you think it’s a good idea?”

“I certainly don’t mind,” said Hermione.

“Good,” he said, “because I asked Susan to send the top three of her list to my office tomorrow.”

“You went ahead and did this without me?” asked Hermione.

“Well, I knew you would say yes.”

And then the door bell rang.

“I’ll go get it,” said Hermione.

Hermione got up and walked to the door. She took a deep breath and, with determination, opened the door.

“Hello, darling,” said Mrs. Sandford.

“Hello… Elizabeth,” replied Hermione.

“Finally! I thought you were never going to call me by my name!” said Elizabeth, hugging her future daughter-in-law.

Hermione smiled nervously. “I see you came prepared!” she said, glancing uneasily at the briefcase Mrs. Sandford was holding.

“Of course, dear. What did you expect?”

“Right,” said Hermione awkwardly. “Um, Michael is waiting for us in the dining room.”

“Well, let’s go then.”

When Hermione got to the dining room, Michael had already taken care of the dishes and was now reading the Daily Prophet.

“Hello, Mum,” he said.

“Hello,” Mrs. Sandford said, giving her son a kiss. “Is this going to be our work area?”

“Yes it is,” said Michael. “You need your space.”

“Yes we do,” said Mrs. Sandford, opening her briefcase. “Let’s get started.”

“Okay,” said Hermione uncertainly as she sat down.

“I was thinking that for a venue we could use The Ritz, in London,” said Mrs. Sandford. “Is that okay with you?”

“It’s fine by me,” said Michael.

“I would… love that!” exclaimed Hermione, taken aback. “But we don’t have time to book the facilities…”

“I already called. I have connections there and they told me it wouldn’t be a problem,” said Mrs. Sandford.

“It’s just that… Well, I always imagined a small, quiet wedding…”

“You don’t expect me to throw a backyard wedding for my only son, do you?” said Mrs. Sandford with disgust.

“Michael, we talked about this,” said Hermione, looking at Michael anxiously, searching for support.

“Hermione, Mum has a point,” said Michael. “And The Ritz would be wonderful, don’t you think?”

“Of course,” said Hermione through gritted teeth.

“Well, then it’s settled! I’ll call later,” said Mrs. Sandford, writing something down in her parchment. “Oh, and by the way, I booked the Four Seasons for the engagement party.”

“The Four Seasons? You’re joking!” exclaimed Hermione in amazement.

Mrs. Sandford smiled proudly.

“Okay, moving on,” she said. “Let’s talk guests. I was thinking… maybe 200?”

“That’s too much!” said Hermione.

“Too much?” said Mrs. Sandford, looking at Hermione as though she were mad. “I think it’s the perfect amount! Remember, we are planning the wedding of the year. We have to invite the Minister for Magic, and the heads of the Departments of the Ministry, etc. Oh, and we would have to invite all our muggle friends as well…” added Mrs. Sandford, writing this down in her parchment. “We can arrange for them to forget to come later.”

“Oh… Okay,” said Hermione. “How are we going to get all these wizards in dress robes inside The Ritz?”

“I was thinking that maybe we could do something like what the Ministry does for the World Cup,” said Mrs. Sandford. “But you don’t have to worry about that: I’ll take care of any obliviating we have to do. Beth’s wedding ran rather smoothly anyway. Next on the list: bridesmaids and groomsmen.”

“I decided I’m going to have two bridesmaids and Beth is going to be my maid of honour.”

“What about you, Michael?” asked Mrs. Sandford.

“I was thinking Ben and John. Liam is going to be the Best Man.”

“Alright. Ring bearer? Flower girl?” asked Mrs. Sandford.

“I’m going to ask Bill and Fleur if Philip can be the ring bearer, and I’m also going to ask Fred and Angelina if Angie can be the flower girl,” said Hermione.

“Oh! But why don’t you use Spencer as ring bearer?” said Mrs. Sandford. “He would look precious! And it would be a really nice gesture… I mean, Beth and John would love it!”

“Yes, I understand that,” said Hermione, getting a bit annoyed. “But Philip would also look precious and I’m sure Bill and Fleur would love it too. I just want my family to participate.”

“Okay,” said Mrs. Sandford icily. “Have you decided on any colour schemes yet?”

“I was talking about it with Beth yesterday and I decided to go with light blue and light green,” said Hermione.

“Oh. That… is wonderful,” said Mrs. Sandford unenthusiastically. “Well if that’s settled then we can look for invitations tomorrow. I had some lovely ideas“”

“Actually,” said Hermione, taking out a small envelope, “Beth and I picked out the invitations yesterday.”

“Let’s see it then,” said Mrs. Sandford, extending her hand sceptically. As she took the invitation, Mrs. Sandford gasped. For a moment she looked surprised, but then her expression returned to her usual setting.

“Do you like it?” Hermione asked, beaming.

She and Beth had chosen the simplest, yet most beautiful invitation at the store. It had a soft forget-me-not blue background and on top of it there was a layer of delicate ivory-coloured paper. The invitation was tied with a beautiful light green bow at the top. The envelope was also ivory-coloured, but it had a forget-me-not blue-coloured lining.

“It seems… okay,” said Mrs. Sandford, as indifferent as she could possibly be.

“I’ll order them tomorrow,” said Hermione.

“Fine. Well, let’s get started on that guest list then,” said Mrs. Sandford.

The three of them spent most of the morning getting the guest list ready. By noon, they had finished it. The grand total: 150 guests (after Hermione managed to persuade Mrs. Sandford that dropping 50 guests would be nothing.)

“Thank you for your help, Elizabeth,” said Hermione.

“Oh, please, darling, you know it’s my pleasure,” said Mrs. Sandford coldly. “Please remember I am picking you up early tomorrow to go and get your dress.”

“Sure,” said Hermione.

“And you,” Mrs. Sandford said, talking to Michael, “you talk to your father to go and pick out a tux.”

“Alright,” said Michael.

“See you tomorrow, darlings.”

“Bye.”

As he closed the door, Michael let out a sigh.

“Wedding planning can be so tiring,” he said.

“You sound like a woman,” laughed Hermione.

“But it’s true!” Michael said. “Fancy a drink?” he asked, going into the sitting room.

Hermione gave him a seriously stern look.

“Right,” he said. “I forgot.”

“Well I haven’t,” said Hermione. “How could you forget, Michael?”

“Hermione, I have been very busy. I’m all stressed out.”

“I am pregnant, Michael. It’s not like you’re forgetting a tiny detail.”

“I’m sorry,” said Michael.

Hermione remained quiet for a couple of minutes.

“Michael… Where were you Sunday night?” she asked, as slowly and delicately as she could, but looking straight into Michael’s eyes.

“Um… I went to have a few drinks with Liam and Ben,” he replied, looking away quickly, busying himself by looking for a bottle of firewhiskey.

“Oh… Right. Of course. Well, anyway, I’ve been meaning to tell you…” said Hermione.

“Yes?”

“I’m going to see Beth’s doctor on Thursday,” said Hermione. “Can you go with me?”

“Of course I will,” said Michael.

“Thank you,” said Hermione. “I’m going to take a nap.”

“I’ll join you later,” said Michael.

---


Hermione was so tired; she slept throughout the rest of the day.

“Hermione, are you planning to eat tonight?” asked Michael.

“Yes,” she replied sleepily.

“Then come downstairs. I made dinner.”

When Hermione got to the dining room she sat down next to Michael.

He placed an envelope next to her plate.

“What is this?” asked Hermione.

“It’s my wedding present,” said Michael, smiling.

Hermione was left speechless when she saw the contents on the envelope.

Inside the envelope were two travel passes allowing the use of an international portkey.

“Oh my…” gasped Hermione.

“We are going to take two months to tour Europe,” said Michael.

“Thank you so much!” said Hermione.

“You are most welcome,” Michael replied, giving his fiancée a kiss.

---


“Hermione, let’s go.”

Michael woke up Hermione very early the next morning.

“Why? It’s too early,” she mumbled.

“Mum owled to say she would pick you up at my office. She said she would be apparating at 9:30. At 10:00 you have an appointment at Harvey Nichols.”

Hermione proceeded to drag her feet to the shower to get ready. She chose to wear a camel-coloured coat and skirt made of flannel and an ivory knit jumper with pearl buttons. Michael was wearing jeans, a silk jacket and pin-tucked tuxedo shirt. It was no wonder why they were called the best looking couple.

By 9:15 they were entering the Sandford Building in London.

“Good morning, Mr. Sandford,” said the receptionist. “Good morning, Miss Granger.”

“Good morning,” said Michael and Hermione in unison.

The Sandford Corporation promoted private sector investment. After the first war, the value of gold had skyrocketed in the Muggle world, opening a window for the Sandfords to start investing in muggle markets, since their fortune was basically based on their stores of gold galleons and silver sickles.

The Sandfords had an impressive operation going on. Both Muggles and wizards worked in the company (of course, Muggles didn’t know this.) Since Michael was also involved with Muggle society, tabloids of all sorts kept track of his life (particularly, his love life.) Everybody knew Hermione in that building. Anyone who didn’t know her had probably been living under a rock for the last eight months.

Michael’s office was on the top floor. His father’s office was on the right side of the floor; Liam’s office was to the left.

When they got to the top floor they went straight to Michael’s office.

“Susan should be here by now,” Hermione heard him mumble.

“I’m going to Dad’s office,” said Michael.

“I’ll go with you,” said Hermione.

“Good morning,” said Michael, as he entered his father’s office.

“Hello…” said Mr. Sandford. “Hi, Hermione,” he added.

“Good morning,” said Hermione.

“Anything new?” asked Michael.

“Er, no,” said Mr. Sandford. “Lizzie will be here shortly, Hermione.”

“That’s fine,” said Hermione.

“I’m going to be in my office, Dad,” said Michael.

“Alright,” replied Mr. Sandford absentmindedly, as he read some papers.

“Good morning!” said Liam, waltzing into the department.

“Good morning, Mr. Parke,” replied most of the secretaries and women working there. Hermione and Michael exchanged looks. Liam was famous for his womanizer qualities.

“Michael, I must show you the statistics I got yesterday,” Liam said. “And“ Hermione! Fancy seeing you here!” he said, giving Hermione a peck on the cheek.

“Nice to see you, too,” replied Hermione.

“Anyway,” continued Liam, “I’ll give you the statistics later. I have to make a few calls.”

“Okay,” said Michael. “Come on,” he told Hermione, gesturing for her to go into the office.

As Hermione took off her coat, her eyes fell on a magazine that was lying on an empty desk.

Michael and Hermione, read the headline, Still Hot or Trouble in Paradise? p. 22

Hermione grabbed the magazine in an instant and sat down opposite Michael. She turned to page 22.

Is there trouble in paradise?
By Megan Wickham
Special Correspondent


Special sources have been contacting Witch Weekly to alert us of certain events taking place in the life of Britain’s favourite couple, Michael Sandford and Hermione Granger.

Some are talking about a possible split between the golden couple.

“They really look as if they have had enough,” says one reader. “I don’t see a future.”

“Michael has been taking loads of ‘business’ trips. I definitely smell trouble. Something’s not quite right there,” said our relationship guru, Georgina Whisp. “The media coverage is another factor; too much attention can be overwhelming.”

Common belief is that the couple is taking a break. Although Hermione still lives in Michael’s mansion in Hogsmeade, the small village is seeing less and less of the young entrepreneur. Will they last?


She was so amused by the article that she couldn’t help laughing.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts.

“Come in,” said Michael.

“Michael, I need to“” the woman that was entering the office stopped abruptly as she saw Hermione.

“Susan, what is it?” said Michael, clearly irritated.

“I… I… I’m s“ sorry, Mr. Sandford,” a flustered Susan managed to say, her cheeks flushing a bright red. “I’ll come back later.”

“Fuck,” Michael muttered under his breath.

“Michael,” said Hermione firmly, “what’s going on?”

But then Elizabeth Sandford came into the room.

“Good morning!” she said brightly.

“Hi, Mum,” said Michael quickly.

“Good morning,” said Hermione, getting up and giving her future mother-in-law a kiss. “You look very nice.” Mrs. Sandford was wearing a very expensive-looking brown tweed suit that had tiny golden metallic accents. She even had a pair of pale blue gloves on, and a pair of pumps that matched her leather handbag.

“Oh, really? Thank you! It’s Chanel,” replied Mrs. Sandford.

Oh, God, this woman is full of surprises, thought Hermione.

Just then, Michael’s phone rang. Yes, he had a telephone in his office. Just in case, you know.

“Yes,” Michael answered the phone. “Alright, I’ll be right down.”

When he hung up the phone, he looked up at his fiancée and his mum.

“I have a guest waiting for me downstairs. I’ll go down with you,” he said.

“Well, let’s go then,” said Mrs. Sandford.

When they got downstairs, Hermione got a very pleasant surprise.

Molly was standing right in the middle of the lobby. When she saw them, she started walking towards them.

“Hermione,” said Michael, “I hope you don’t mind, but I took the liberty of calling Mrs. Weasley. I know you would want to look for your dress with her.”

“Hello,” said Molly softly.

“Molly!” said Hermione, tears springing to her eyes. “I’m so glad to see you!” she told her, giving her a hug. “Thank you so much, Michael!”

“Don’t mention it. Well,” said Michael, looking at his watch, “I guess my work here is done. I’ll leave you so you can get started.” And just like that, he hurried upstairs.

“Off we go,” said Mrs. Sandford dryly.

---


“It won’t fit.”

After at least an hour of trying on dresses at Harvey Nichols, Hermione was beginning to get upset. None of the gowns would fit.

“It’s not possible!” she exclaimed at one point.

“Of course it is!” snapped back Mrs. Sandford. “You’re pregnant! It’s beginning to show!”

“I think it’s too early for it to start showing,” snapped Molly. “Let me see something, dear,” she told Hermione. She took a look at the size of the dress and then exclaimed, “Of course it won’t fit! Hermione, this cannot possibly be your size. I don’t think you have ever been this size before.” Molly walked up to the woman who was helping them and told her (in a very edgy voice,) “Would you go and get us a dress in her actual size?”

“I’ll see what I can do for you,” said the woman, edgy as well.

After about five minutes, the woman came back, a single dress in hand.

“This is a Carolina Herrera,” she explained. “We only have one of these.”

When that girl opened the cover of the dress, Hermione was absolutely gobsmacked.

The dress was a beaded gown covered in ecru corded lace. The bodice was crisscrossed with organza ribbon. The train was long (but not too long.) The wedding gown looked grand but simple at the same time. It was definitely exquisite. Like someone had taken it out of a fairytale.

“Oh… Hermione…” gasped Molly.

“It’s a really pretty dress,” said Mrs. Sandford wanly.

Pretty?” said Hermione. “It’s absolutely gorgeous!”

“Try it on!” said Molly.

When Hermione came out of the dressing room, not even Elizabeth Sandford could take her eyes off her.

The gown fitted almost perfectly.

“Hermione! You look like a princess!” Molly said. Hermione noticed how Molly was looking at her. It was a dreamy look; as if she were longing for something… else.

“This is it,” said Hermione. “I know this is the one.”

“We can arrange an appointment to make some alterations to the bustier,” said the saleswoman. “It looks a bit tight around the chest.”

“You should let it a little loose, too,” said Mrs. Sandford. “You never know,” she added cynically.

Molly’s eyes shot daggers at her.

“Alright, then,” said the saleswoman. “Would you like to pay now?”

“Yes, I’ll pay,” said Mrs. Sandford. “Michael told me this was going to be his wedding present to you,” she explained to Hermione.

“Thank you,” said Hermione, taken aback.

“If you don’t mind, I have to run some errands,” said Mrs. Sandford after paying the bill. “But I’ll see you later.”

“Oh, but of course we don’t mind!” said Molly ardently.

Hermione suppressed a giggle.

“Thank you for everything, Elizabeth,” she finally said.

Mrs. Sandford nodded curtly and left.

“Molly, would you like to do some shopping?” asked Hermione.

“I’d love to,” replied Molly.

---


Molly and Hermione spent the rest of the day window shopping around Diagon Alley. Before returning home, they stopped by Harry and Ginny’s house.

“Hello,” said Molly as she entered the living room.

“Hi, Mum,” said Ginny, without looking up from her book.

“Hi, Molly,” said Harry as he got up. Right then Hermione came into the room.

“Hi, Hermione,” said Harry. “Are you staying over for dinner?”

“Um, sure,” said Hermione, smiling.

“Hermione!” exclaimed Ginny, looking up from her book. “Were you two together?”

“Yes,” said Molly. “We were getting Hermione’s wedding gown.”

“Did you pick one already?” asked Ginny.

Hermione nodded.

“And?” asked Ginny anxiously.

“It’s the most beautiful thing I have ever seen,” said Hermione.

“Oh, Hermione…” said Ginny. “I wish I could have been there…”

“Me too,” said Hermione.

After they had dinner, Hermione said “thank you” to Harry, Ginny, and Molly, and went home.

“Bye,” said Ginny, as Hermione went out the door.

“Have you ever met Michael’s mother?” asked Molly.

“No,” said Harry.

“But we have heard quite a lot about her…” said Ginny. “Why?”

“I spent the entire morning with that woman,” said Molly. “I don’t understand how anyone can stand her.”

“No one does,” said Harry. “People just pretend they do.”

“She just kept making sarcastic remarks at Hermione’s pregnancy; looking for a way to bring her down. Maybe she doesn’t think Hermione’s good enough for Michael.”

Not good enough?” snapped Ginny. “He’s not good enough for her!”

“Oh, Ginny,” said Molly, “no one will ever be good enough for her in your eyes. Well, no one except Ron…”

“I actually agree with Ginny, Molly,” said Harry. “It’s not that we don’t like Michael… Okay, we never liked him and we never will, but“”

“He’s a son of a bitch, Mum. Literally,” said Ginny.

“You know I don’t like that language, Ginevra. Even if you are right: he’s getting married to Hermione,” said Molly, “whether we all like it or not.”