Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Marriage of Convenience by Madame Marauder

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Many thanks to both my betas: Elisabeth and DracoGurlFurever!
Ginny Weasley stood before a full-length mirror, staring blankly at her reflection. The dress she wore was long, white and strapless. It wasn’t new; it had been thrust at her only hours before. Ginny ran her hand down the embroidery that decorated the bodice. Today was Ginny’s last day of freedom. Tomorrow was her wedding day. Tomorrow she’d be Mrs. Draco Malfoy.

Tears streamed down Ginny’s freckled cheeks. She sank to her knees. This had been her decision, to marry Draco. It wasn’t a forced marriage. No, Ginny knew she’d volunteered. But it wasn’t for herself. She was doing this for the Order.

Voldemort had been defeated by Harry Potter. That was true. But, there were still dark wizards around. And Harry Potter was no longer alive to be the hero. He died at the hands of Bellatrix Lestrange, just days after the defeat of Voldemort. While the world mourned the loss of a hero, Ginny mourned the loss of her one true love.

Even today, just hours before her wedding, Ginny mourned Harry’s death. She crumpled onto the floor, hugging her knees and sobbing.

“Oh, Harry,” she whispered to the empty room. “If only you were still alive. Then, maybe, it would be the day before our wedding. Maybe I wouldn’t be marrying Draco.”

As Ginny cried, she remembered the circumstances under which she had begun dating Draco, and ultimately, become engaged to him:

Scrimgeour had been murdered. Rumors said that it had been Voldemort who’d murdered him. Other rumors spread that it was someone from within the Ministry of Magic. In any case, a new Minister of Magic was needed. It didn’t surprise Ginny a bit when her older brother, Percy, was chosen. Percy always had that drive and ambition.

Then, Harry was killed. Even still, with the threat of Voldemort gone, the world was peaceful and calm for two more years. But there were dark wizards who had escaped Azkaban through bribery, tricks and lies. The Malfoy family was one such example.

Lucius Malfoy and his son, Draco, were allowed out of Azkaban. The new Minister granted them clearance of all charges. It was suspected that gold had exchanged hands, to say the least. It caused some unease, but they were only two Death Eaters. Two ruined men.

Then, there was another break-out from Azkaban. Dark wizards were escaping and there was mass panic. Almost immediately, the Order was recalled by Professor McGonagall, who, after Dumbledore’s death, became the new leader. Someone had proposed the idea of having a spy to infiltrate the dark wizards’ lives. Snape had been suggested since he’d done it last time. But, of course, in the war, he had shown his true colors and stood by the Order. There was no chance that he would be trusted by former Death Eaters again.

Arguing ensued. Who could they send? Could they send anybody at all? Ginny, in a burst of temper, volunteered. Everyone stared at her.

“I can! I’m pureblooded, aren’t I? I’ve just got to come up with some lie that says I’ve denounced my family’s ‘blood-traitor’ ways. I can do it!”

She was nineteen when she volunteered. Her parents no longer had the ability to control Ginny’s actions. And they knew that their attempts at a protest would be futile. It was the Order’s only semblance of a plan.

Thus, Ginny began courting Draco.

***

Draco Malfoy stood before a full-length mirror, gazing at himself admiringly. The dress robes he wore were black, stylish and new. He straightened the collar. Draco’s bride-to-be was in the next room over, surely relishing her reflection as much as he was his. Today was Draco’s last day being single. Tomorrow was his wedding day. Tomorrow, he’d marry Ginny Weasley.

At first, Draco hadn’t liked the Weasley girl. Not one bit. It was his father, Lucius Malfoy, who had given him the idea of courting, and later marrying, her. Yes, it was Lucius who had pushed them.

Draco didn’t know why. He was under the impression that his father thought the Weasley family was full of blood-traitors. But, times had changed. Draco tried to piece out why he was marrying a Weasley, of all things. He was sure it had something to do with making amends…

After he and Snape escaped from Hogwarts, Draco ran off on his own. He returned to the Death Eaters, sobbing about how he couldn’t have done it…How he couldn’t kill Dumbledore. But, the Dark Lord allowed him to live”How merciful a Lord!”when Draco told him that Snape had killed Dumbledore. Draco’s treachery against the Dark Lord was quickly forgotten and battle plans were soon drawn… To take the Order of the Pheonix by surprise.

Draco had been there, at the final battle. He was seventeen then, nearly eighteen. Things seemed to be going well for the Death Eaters. Arthur Weasley, Hestia Jones, and Kingsley Shacklebolt were all among the fallen. And then it happened. Potter killed the Dark Lord. A stunned silence followed.


***


Lucius Malfoy smiled to himself. Tomorrow his son would wed Ginny Weasley, the Minister’s sister. Yes, Lucius looked down on the entire Weasley family, but, in actuality, Lucius knew having Draco marry Ginny was his only option. Lucius had paid generously to have Draco and himself freed from Azkaban. The money went straight to Ginny’s older brother, Percy Weasley, Minister of Magic. Lucius was feigning regret for his actions. To put finishing touches on his act, he would marry Draco off to a girl with… impure background. A mudblood, half-blood or blood-traitor, would easily dispel suspicion. Or, so Lucius hoped. Ginny Weasley was perfect because she was the daughter of two blood-traitors… And the Minister’s sister. Lucius wasn’t willing to give up the power to influence the Ministry.

Lucius shivered at his brilliance. All Draco knew was that he was engaged to Ginny and that their wedding day was tomorrow.

***