Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Winning More than the Cup by Fading

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: My very first completed fanfic, written for my little sister.

Of course, none of these characters are mine; I'm just borrowing them for a little while.

This is very different from my usual writing style. I'd appreciate constructive feedback! Thanks for reading!

Winning More than the Cup





How many times had Hermione wanted to be a Mrs. Ronald Weasley? She’d lost count over the years.



Hermione would never forget the first time she attended the Quidditch World Cup. Looking back afterwards, the match was more significant than she’d realized. For one thing, the post-game behavior of the Death Eaters was one of the first signs of Voldemort’s future return. For another thing, though neither of them had known it at the time, Hermione had seen the boy who would take her to the Yule Ball a few months later. Viktor was married and had a son now, but they’d remained good friends.



The second World Cup Hermione had gone to was in Bulgaria. Viktor had invited her there as a friend to see him play there and show her around. This time Hermione cheered for Bulgaria. Viktor joked that whatever side Hermione cheered for would always win, because Bulgaria beat China, 250 points to 190.



Now, for the third time, Hermione was off to the World Cup. She was accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill, Fleur, their daughter, Rose, Charlie, Charlie’s wife, Emily, Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny. This time Harry wouldn’t be watching the game with them. He would be in the game, and had therefore managed to secure top-box tickets again for everyone.



Ron and Hermione had been going out for several years. They’d double-dated several times with Harry and Ginny. Hermione didn’t want to upset Ron by asking for more, but she ached for a commitment. Ron acted as though he wouldn’t mind dating until the end of time, but Hermione yearned for an engagement ring. She often lay awake at night, desperate for Ron to ask her for her hand.



Hermione sat between Ginny and Ron, all three of them donning England scarves, rosettes, hats, and badges. Fred and George had made the badges themselves. The twins had promised that when- not if- Harry caught the Snitch, the badges would show Harry catching it over and over as a play-by-play souvenir. In the meantime, each one read “ENGLAND for the CUP” and “POTTER for the SNITCH”.



Ron leaned over and put his arm around Hermione. He seemed nervous about something. Hermione thought that almost everyone had been acting a little oddly lately, but had put it down to anxiety about Harry’s upcoming performance.



“You’ve been acting so tense, Ron,” she teased. “Lighten up. Harry’s bound to be amazing.” Ron smiled awkwardly.



“Everyone’s been so weird lately,” said Ginny with a slight frown. “And you lot keep looking at me with these funny grins.” Mr. Weasley patted his daughter on the shoulder, trying not to grin.



“We’re all just excited, Ginny. Look, everyone! Here he comes!”



Hermione and the Weasleys rose as one, cheering and clapping as Harry streaked onto the field, soaring around the stadium once before taking his position in the air. The Weasleys continued to scream in support until the whistle sounded, and Harry was off.



It was hard to concentrate on the game when everyone wanted to watch Harry. Mrs. Weasley never took her eyes off of him, using her omnioculars to follow him around the pitch. Ginny, Hermione, and Ron alternated between watching the match and watching Harry.



An hour after the game had started, Mrs. Weasley shrieked with excitement.



“What’s he doing? Has he seen it?” Harry was hurtling downward in a blur. The entire stadium cheered or booed as he dived. The opposing seeker was right on his tail, feet behind Harry.



Ron began to laugh.



“It’s not funny, Ron! He’s seen it!” Mrs. Weasley cried, but Mr. Weasley smiled.



“Molly, don’t fuss. He’s feinting.”



“What do you mean, he’s fainting ? Is he all right?” But Harry had arced upwards at the last moment before he hit the ground, speeding back into the air. He hovered for a moment, glancing down. The other seeker had smashed into the ground but was back on his broom, trailing behind Harry in humiliation.



Then Harry was off, streaking towards the English goalposts so quickly that Hermione could barely tell what was happening. Then, suddenly, Harry stopped.



Ron realized it first.



“HE’S GOT THE SNITCH! HE’S GOT IT! ENGLAND WON!” he shouted in delight, jumping to his feet in jubilation. Hermione leapt up as well and threw her arms around Ron. They kissed for a full minute as the other Weasleys and the stadium around them went wild. For some reason, Mr. Weasley, Charlie, Bill, Fred, and George were grinning madly at each other as they celebrated.



Harry was flying around the stadium. Hermione didn’t realize it at first, but he was coming over the top box. Grinning, still clutching the Snitch, he waved at the Weasleys and Hermione as he drew closer.



“You’ve done it, Harry! You’ve won the cup! You’ve won the cup!” Ginny yelled, holding her arms out to him. Harry drew his Firebolt right up to the ledge of the box and reached out his hand with the Snitch to Ginny. He opened it, and the Snitch flew away in a streak of gold. But something gold still glimmered in Harry’s open hand.



“Ginny,” Harry said, still hovering outside the box, “Will you marry me?”



Ginny gasped with joy and surprise and held out her hand to Harry. He slid the ring onto Ginny’s finger and held out his arms to her. The crowds roared in approval. Mrs. Weasley screamed in delight, hugging Mr. Weasley and beginning to cry. Hermione was struck dumb, beaming at Harry as Ginny leapt into his arms. Harry pulled her around on his broom so that she was sitting in front of him and turned, grinning, to Ron.



“Mate?” he said, smiling, one arm around Ginny. Hermione felt Ron turn her head towards him. He also had his hand out to her.



“Hermione, will you marry me?” he asked, and Hermione nearly fainted. Mr. Weasley caught her shoulders as she fell backwards and she began to cry with disbelieving happiness. She held out her hand to Ron and he slipped the ring onto her hand and pulled her to him in a warm embrace.



“I’ve always loved you, Hermione,” he murmured to her.



“We’d like to make an announcement,” called Fred over all the tumult. “We lied. The badges aren’t going to show the Snitch capture, they’re going to show Harry’s and Ron’s proposals.”



Ginny and Harry were flying around the pitch in a victory lap, waving at the stadium, which had gone ballistic. Mrs. Weasley had rounded on her family.



“You knew! You all knew and you didn’t tell me!” She sobbed, beaming, and Mr. Weasley hugged her.



“It’s going to be so odd, Hermione being a Mrs. Weasley and Ginny being a Mrs. Potter,” said Bill with a smile. “But they’ll get used to it, won’t they, Fleur?”



Ron let go of Hermione as Mrs. Weasley enfolded them both in her arms.



“Another Mr. and Mrs. Weasley,” she sobbed. “Oh, Arthur, I can’t believe it.”



How many times had Hermione wanted to be a Mrs. Ronald Weasley? She’d lost count over the years. She’d never have to wish it again.



-----



Thank you for reading! Please leave a constructive review (I just had to deal with a pointless negative one =P )