Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Better Than Me by rard

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A hundred million apologies for taking so long to post this last chapter. Things have been a little crazy between school and work. (But on the bright side, I got an A in my first graduate class!!) Anyways, as always, I own nothing that you may recognize. Thanks again, Ms. Rowling!!
“Don’t think this means I’ve given up on you.”

Her words rang through his head for months. She hadn’t given up. Grown up, maybe, but not given up. And the way she had looked after him, without uncomfortable questions or gasps of horror when she saw his new wounds and old scars; it all just made him want to reconsider everything.

Not that he was sure he’d ever get the chance. He had just learned that an attack on Hogwarts would take place in a few hours. His messages to Dumbledore had so far gone unanswered, and Remus was beginning to wonder if he should abandon his assignment to warn Harry and the others at the castle. Leaving now meant compromising his cover and abandoning any further information that could be gained from this group. Remus had long ago given up on trying to convert them; they were too far gone.

The others started moving. It was time. Greyback’s followers would be travelling to the castle on foot. As Greyback turned away from the group, Remus saw his opening and took it, ducking behind a tree. As he struggled to pull his wand out of its hiding place, he felt a hand clamp down on his shoulder. He whipped around.

“Where do you think you’re going?” snarled a young witch. Remus didn’t know her name, but knew that she had recently been bitten.

He smacked her hand away from him and replied, “Get your paws off me and mind your business,” with as much venom as he could muster. He must have been convincing enough, because her eyes widened and she scurried away to join the rest of the pack. Remus quickly pulled his wand out and Apparated to Hogsmeade.

He arrived just outside of Tonks’ flat. If they both made it out of this alive, he vowed to set things right between them. He banged on the door, praying that she was home. The door flew open and Remus found himself being dragged inside. After a quick explanation, they were both running for the castle. As they finally entered, a large explosion shook the building. They looked at one another, knowing that their warning had come too late.

“Tonks, find McGonagall!”

“Where are you going?”

“To find Harry!”

“Remus “ ”

“Tonks, just go!” His expression softened. If something happened to her, he would never forgive himself. He stepped forward and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Be careful.” She nodded and they both turned to run in separate directions.

While running towards Gryffindor Tower, Remus ran right into Ron Weasley “ literally.

“Ron!”

“Professor Lupin! Wow, that was fast! How did you get here so “ ”

“Ron, where’s Harry?”

He shrugged. “Went somewhere with Professor Dumbledore earlier tonight. Had me and Hermione and a few other DA members patrolling all night until he got back.”

Remus closed his eyes. Harry knew that something would happen tonight and was right on the money. If only they could all learn to listen to him.

“Okay, follow me.”

A few minutes later, the battle was raging. Most of the Order showed up promptly after the alarm was sounded, and they weren’t doing too badly. Remus was attempting to watch for Tonks’, but between the persistent Death Eater threat and her current lack of vibrant hair, this task was becoming increasingly difficult. He easily rolled away from an Incendio and thanked his lucky stars that these Death Eaters had really bad aim. He really didn’t want to add burns to his current scars and bruises. After a carefully aimed Stupefy or two, his area was cleared of threats. He went to bind up the unconscious attackers when he heard more people entering the area. Just as he was turning, he heard and huge crash and was pulled to the floor.

He hit the floor with force, but quickly regained his senses and struck back at the person lying on his back with his right elbow. The two rolled behind the rumble that remained of a pillar. Remus regained the upper hand and was about retaliate against his assailant when he realized. The person who hit him was Tonks.

“You have a mighty fine right hook there, Professor. You’ll have to teach me that one later. Now if I’m done saving your ass, I have some Death Eaters to attend to.”

Despite himself, Remus smiled. “By all means.”

***

Dumbledore was really…gone.

Remus could hardly breathe. After Tonks’ outburst in the hospital wing, Remus quietly excused himself and ran for the nearest exit. Before he knew it, he found himself under the tree by the lake where he and his fellow Marauders found themselves so many times over the years. He needed time to digest this. After all of his careful planning and precautions, this was the one contingency that he had never prepared for. Maybe it was because Dumbledore seemed indestructible. Or maybe it was just because no one ever wanted to admit that Dumbledore was mortal like everyone else.

And Tonks. Remus closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the tree. What to do about Tonks? He loved her, he knew that for sure. And she made it very clear “ to everyone “ that she still cared for him. But if tonight taught him anything, it was that anyone could die at any time. There were no guarantees that they would survive this.

But if Dumbledore had taught him anything, it was to live life to the fullest because anything could happen at anytime.

“Remus?”

He opened his eyes and saw the formerly pink-haired Auror standing in front of him.

“I’m sorry. I…I shouldn’t have gone off like that in front of everyone. It’s just…I don’t…I don’t know what to do here.” Her eyes turned to the lake for a moment while she paused, then her eyes snapped back to his like magnets. “I’m sorry.”

He stood up and shook his head. “No. I’m sorry.” He took a deep breath. “Nymphadora, you deserve so much better than me.”

Her face changed from apologetic to determined, but not cold, and she shook her head. “Can’t you see? To me, there is nothing better than you.”

Remus closed his eyes and touched his forehead to hers. “That was your last out.” He felt her brow knit with confusion.

“Pardon?”

He smiled down at her. “Now you’re stuck with me.”

Her eyes lit up like she had just gotten a new puppy (although, in a way, she did). “Really?”

He nodded.

“AHH!” she screamed and jumped into his arms. They spun around laughing and collapsed in a heap next to the tree. After they caught their breath, Tonks looked over at Remus.

“Do you think this is okay? Laughing like this, being happy so soon after…” Her voice trailed off, not willing to say the words just yet.

Remus stared into her eyes for a moment then turned his eyes to the sky. “I don’t think Dumbledore would want anyone to mourn him. He always saw death as the next great adventure.”

Tonks frowned. “I’m not sure that will stop me from missing him.”

“But that won’t stop you from being happy…will it?”

Tonks shot upright and spun to look down at Remus. “Have you met me?”

Remus laughed and pulled her down close to him again. “Yes,” he said, placing a light kiss at her temple. “Yes, I believe I have.”