Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ron's Promise by Beci

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: The characters in this fan fiction are property of J.K. Rowling.

“Well,” Ron stated with what he hoped sounded like optimism, “at least we’ve got one of the positions filled.” He didn’t like the tone of his voice, it sounded oddly hearty, much like Harry’s had been when Ron had been made prefect the previous year.

Exasperated Harry looked at him and said, “Our first match, against Slytherin, is a month away, Ron. There is absolutely no way we are going to be back up to our usual standard by then. No way and I don't think I can deal with listening to Malfoy if they win.” Harry looked back down gloomily at the floor as they made their way but up to the common room.

They had just spent the last two hours down at the quidditch pitch, trying to find a suitable replacement for Angelina Johnson, who had left at the end of their fifth year. After some deliberation, Harry, being the newly appointed captain, had picked Ginny as the new chaser, since he would be taking over the seeker position again now that Professor Umbridge's ban had been lifted. Ron couldn’t understand why Harry had hesitated about choosing her as chaser. She was by far the best out of all who had turned up. However, to be honest, that wasn’t much of a compliment to Ginny, Gryffindor just seemed to be lacking new talent this year.

“It could be worse mate,” Ron commented bracingly as he clapped Harry on the back. Harry simply nodded and continued to stare at the flagstone floor. Ron knew something else was bothering Harry. Ever since the war had begun over the summer Harry had been more withdrawn. Harry had never even mentioned Sirius since his death at the end of their fifth year. Both he and Hermione had tried to get Harry to open up a couple of times, only to have Harry's anger unleashed upon them. They had both come to the conclusion that Harry would talk when he was ready. Ron just hoped that it would be sometime soon because he couldn't stand seeing his friend like this.

They continued to make their way up to Gryffindor Tower in silence, Harry looking as sullen as ever. When they reached the portrait Harry stopped abruptly.

“Actually Ron,” Harry muttered, “I’m starved, I'm going to go down to the kitchens and get something to eat.” Harry quickly turned and headed back down the stairs, shoulders hunched, his eyes fixed on the floor. Harry had been going off alone a lot lately, which Ron didn’t think was really helping matters.

A deep sigh escaped Ron as he watched one of his best friends disappear down the hallway. They had briefly tried Ginny with the whole team after her selection. The training session had been a complete disaster. The new chasers didn't seem to work well as a team, like Katie, Alicia and Angelina had, that was obvious to everyone. However, now that it wasn’t his fault the practices were going so terribly and Ron was finding it rather difficult to feel too worried about it. He had faith in his team. But Harry is captain, thought Ron as he gave the password, (oddsboddikins), and it makes him look bad if we don't win.

As he clambered through the portrait hole, (a task growing more difficult the taller he grew), a sound pushed all thoughts of Harry and quidditch from Ron’s mind. It sounded like a sniffing, like someone was crying. He looked curiously around the deserted common room. He and Harry had obviously been a long time getting changed, everyone else appeared to have retired for the night.

Ron spotted her, sitting curled up in an armchair, staring blankly at the glowing embers in the fireplace. Her cheeks were glistening with tears and her eyes were red and watery. She angrily swiped some tears from her blotchy face before dissolving into a renewed fit of sobs. The sight was enough to break Ron’s heart.

“Hermione,” he whispered. He walked quickly over to his other best friend, crouched down before her, looked worriedly into her eyes. A crumpled piece of parchment rested on Hermione’s lap. She pushed it towards him without saying a word. He silently read;

My dearest Hermione,

Please try to stay calm. This will be difficult to accept and I hate to have to put this news in writing, but I have no choice. I have been forced to go into hiding. You “ Know “ Who attacked the dental practice yesterday. I’m so sorry love, but dad’s dead. I had to be the one to tell you this, even if that meant doing it via owl post. Try not to worry about me. I am safe and Dumbledore is making arrangements for me to visit you. Perhaps in the next week or two. Don’t despair my dear.

All my love,
Mum
xxx

Ron gulped and stared at the tear stained letter. Dumbledore had taken Ron, Hermione and Harry aside at the start of term and told them to prepare for the worst in the coming months, but none of them had expected anything like this, or at least not so soon. Slowly he raised his eyes to find Hermione gazing intently, almost desperately, at him. Her crying had ceased, but Ron could see the despair and disbelief etched onto her tanned face, embedded into her beautiful, deep brown eyes.

Ron reached out and brushed a strand of hair out of Hermione’s face. As his hand gently brushed her cheek, her eyes closed for the briefest of moments before the flood gates opened once more.

“Oh, Ron,” she moaned, the sadness in her voice stabbed painfully at Ron’s heart and made his eyes sting. Hermione slowly slid down from her armchair and sat on the floor next to Ron. Once again, she raised her eyes to his, and he enveloped her in a tight embrace. Ron felt her weight lean completely against him, felt her body shudder violently as the tears continued to cascade down her beautiful face. He tightened his grip on her, pulled her body as close as possible, her face buried into his shoulder. Ron hastily brushed the tears from his own face; he had to be strong for Hermione now.

“It’s not fair,” Hermione sobbed, her voice muffled by Ron’s robes, “It’s just not fair.”

“I know it isn't,” Ron mumbled, raising one hand and gently stroking her bushy brown hair, making what he hoped were comforting sounds. He knew it wasn’t fair, Hermione had never done anything to deserve this pain; except come from a muggle family. It didn’t make any sense to Ron.

“Listen to me Hermione,” he said softly, as she slowly disengaged her face from his shoulder and looked cautiously up at him, “you’ll never be alone. No matter what happens, I won’t let you be alone. I promise.” He looked deep into her eyes and she smiled weakly, the sadness that consumed her seemed to lessen a fraction.

“Thank you,” she breathed softly. Ron gently brushed his lips across her forehead and pulled Hermione close once again. Only this time she didn’t resume her crying. She remained still and quiet in his arms. Ron could hear her breathing start to quieten and slow.

How long they stayed like that, when Hermione had fallen asleep and whether or not Harry had come back Ron didn’t know. His whole world revolved around Hermione as he lay in the dark, silent common room with her draped across his body. He did know that he loved her, and that he would keep his promise until the day he died.

Ron sighed as he stared at the fading fire. He had to tell her his feelings. He didn’t know how much longer he could pretend they didn’t exist. It was just that he didn't know how to do that now, with her having so much to cope with already. Nevertheless, Ron knew he couldn’t keep this from Hermione for much longer.


A/N; thanks go to Shawna for beta reading. Reviews (praise or criticism) would be very much appreciated.