Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ron's Promise by Beci

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“That is not true Ron!” Hermione exclaimed, playfully pushing him as they made their way back up to the castle. He had been teasing her about her exam results, and she was for once taking it with good humour. In fact, Hermione had been uncharacteristically feminine and giggly all day. Ron supposed it was just the snow. Still, it felt nice to have her attention for once.

The foursome made their way back through the castle doors and up to Gryffindor Tower, still laughing and smiling about the day’s events. Ron couldn’t remember having so much fun. It had been a long time since he had seen Hermione or even Harry so contented.

“Listen guys,” Harry said as they all flopped down wearily into armchairs in front of the roaring fire that illuminated common room, “Ginny and I were kind of thinking about going, erm,” he paused again and looked very uncomfortable. Ginny herself was beginning to flush. “Well, going for a bit of a, well, walk this evening,” he finished in a rush, looking back and forth between his two best friends, obviously asking for approval.

“And? Why are you telling us?” Ron said, oblivious. Ginny coloured deeper and Harry looked at Hermione in exasperation. Ron too looked over to Hermione, clearly perplexed. Hermione raised her eyebrows at him.

“Oh…” Ron muttered, quickly looking at the floor. He had always known that he wanted his little sister to go out with Harry. That way she wouldn’t get hurt and Ron would know she was safe. Now that it was becoming a reality he felt a bit differently. “Ok,” he managed, “that’s fine with me.” Well, Ron thought, that’s almost the truth.

Ron looked up to find Hermione surveying him approvingly, a small smile on her lips.

“Right then, we’ll be off,” Harry said, and he and Ginny promptly stood up and left the room, apparently wanting to go before Ron could change his mind.

“Don’t be too late back,” Ron called as they made their way through the portrait hole. He sighed and turned back towards Hermione, who continued to look at him for a second, before standing up herself.

“Where are you going?” he asked curiously. Ron had hoped she might stay with him for a while. He didn’t get much time alone with her.

Ron’s curiosity was further aroused when she bit her lip and looked around her before answering a little too hastily, “Nowhere, really.”

He looked at her suspiciously. She was keeping something from him, but he had no idea what.

“Seriously, ‘Mione. Tell me,” he said, with a little more force this time. She bit her lip nervously once more before crouching down in front of him, resting her hands on his knees, staring deeply into his eyes.

“Promise me you won’t tell anyone, Ron. Promise me,” she said very seriously.

“Ok, I promise,” he said, though he wasn’t sure if he would keep this promise. But if that was what it took to get her to tell him, it would definitely be worth a moment of dishonesty.

“I got another letter from my mum this morning. She wants to meet me here tonight,” she said excitedly and produced a neatly folded letter from her robe pocket and handed it to him. She had obviously been carrying it all day, Ron observed, because it was rumpled and worn. This was why she had been so happy all day.

Dear Hermione,

I must keep this letter short, but it is Christmas Day and I cannot bear the thought of not seeing you, especially now that I haven’t got your father to spend the day with. I am planning on coming to Hogwarts this evening, if you will agree to meet me. Dumbledore knows of my intentions, but asked that I not write to you, so it would be a surprise. He worries about my safety so do not mention this meeting to anyone. If you will meet me, please come to the Room of Requirement at midnight tonight.

All my love,
Mum xxx


Ron finished reading the letter and let the parchment fall onto his lap. He looked up at Hermione, her eyes were shining with glee and excitement.

As much as he hated to dampen her spirits, this letter had given him a strange, ominous feeling, one he couldn’t explain.

“Are you sure this is a good idea Hermione?” he said, but seeing the hurt in her eyes he quickly continued, “I mean, it’s just odd, don’t you think?” He knew what he meant, but couldn’t explain it.

“I know it does seem strange. But I spent all day thinking about it, and really, it does make sense. If I went to Dumbledore for no apparent reason today and Malfoy or someone saw, it would be obvious that something was going on. And Dumbledore would have told her about the Room of Requirement of course,” she replied looking defiantly at him. It was not like Hermione to make decisions so rashly, but he could tell from her expression that he couldn’t stop her from going.

“Well I’m coming with you then. It’s not safe for you to be wandering around the school alone at night,” he stated, showing just as much defiance as she did.

For a moment Ron thought she might refuse, but then her face broke into a meek smile. Much to Ron’s astonishment and delight, she leaned up and kissed him on the cheek.

“Thank you for looking out for me Ron. I’ll meet you here at 11:30,” she said as she she stood up and made for the girls dormitory. Ron sat silently in his chair staring after her retreating figure. He glanced at the clock above the fireplace and saw that it was already 7:30pm.

Time for some food then, Ron thought, as he rose from his comfortable chair and headed towards the portrait hole, wondering if this whole thing was such a good idea.