Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Can't Love Her by Cruciatus Love

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“And you’re sure you want to do this?”

Tom just looked at the girl in front of him. No, he didn’t want to do any of this. He didn’t want to give up everything he had, everything he cared about, and everything he could ever want just for a silly girl. He didn’t even like her all that much. Yet, there was just something about her that lured him. It was almost as if he had no control over his actions-- her power just pulled him forward.

“Yes, I want to do this. I want to be forever connected with you.”

That had done it. He knew that once he made the final decision to marry the girl all that was left of his self-control would be torn away. But, for some reason, he didn’t feel the need to choose his own actions. He almost enjoyed following the suggestions of the unknown feeling. He felt safe that way.

“You know you’ll be giving up everything. Your family, your money… I don’t want you to feel pushed into this.”

“I don’t. I love you.”

He didn’t know how many of those words were true. He knew that the girl standing before him was head-over-heels for him and would do anything to make him happy, yet he truly did not love her. He felt strangely attached to the girl, almost to the point where he could not control his own words or actions.

The two were standing in a rundown cabin located in the middle of nowhere. The walls were covered in grime and mold, while each surface only held dust. The outside look of the house was old and grey, and the inside only held the same feel. The last occupants of this shack had been extremely proud, but extremely narrow-minded, and because of this the place was a mess. One would almost think no one had lived there in years.

The girl had lived there all her life and knew nothing of fancy clothing or riches, yet the young man had known both. He looked sure of himself as he stood proudly in the dusty shack, yet on the inside he felt only unsure. He wasn’t quite certain how the past few days had flown by, but he did know that as long as he was next to this girl everything would be okay-- or so he hoped.

“If we’re going to do this, we have to leave now.”

At those words, the man simply stood up and walked over to the door. He acted as if nothing in the world could stop him from running away from his heritage to be with this girl-- this girl who had an aura of mystery around her. Something about her just enticed him. It was almost as if he was walking on a thin log, with only her glow leading him. He knew that if he strayed to the side he would go crashing down, but if he kept his head facing forward and his mind on his balance he knew everything would turn out fine.

“Okay, love. Let’s go.”

~*~

The new couple walked along the path leading to anywhere. They didn’t have a final destination, and they didn’t know what they would do once they got there. All that was going through the female’s mind was getting away fast enough to avoid being caught, and finding a suitable place to be married.

But Tom’s mind was going crazy with thoughts of everyone and their brother. He didn’t know how his family would react when they awoke the next morning to find him having escaped in the night, but he wasn’t going to wait and find out. He wondered if his friends would take it seriously, or if they would think it was all just a joke. But this-- this was no joke. He was indeed following a path of the unknown, and he still wasn’t sure what was leading him to continue walking it. But he did know that the woman beside him was part the mystery, and he was going to stay by her side until he solved it.

“Where are we going to go, love?”

“I’m not sure. I was thinking we could follow this path into town and catch a train from there. We could take it to somewhere with a beautiful church and gorgeous sunlight shining all day. Somewhere where we can be safe and feel at home.”

“That sounds lovely.”

“I just don’t know where I’m going to find the money.”

“Don’t worry about that. I’ll give you anything.”

And it was true. He had indeed stolen money from his own family just to give this girl whatever she could want. He wasn’t sure what had made him do it, but this voice in the back of his head had told him it was the right thing to do. And now he could take her anywhere she wanted to go. He hadn’t lied when he said he would give her anything. Even though he wasn’t quite sure why, he felt as if he should give her everything. He felt like she was the one to spend the rest of his life with. He wanted nothing more than simply to make her happy.

The girl just blushed. She knew that it was because of the love potion she was giving him that made him act this way, but she still felt a connection to the young man next to her. Sometimes she felt as if she could feel his thoughts. She knew that he felt attracted, and she loved having someone that needed her.

The long walk came to an end just as the sun was beginning to show over the hills. The couple kept their minds on what they were trying to do, and quickly boarded the train to a near-by town. They hadn’t paid much attention to where they were going, just as long as it wasn’t where they were now and it had a decent church for them to wed in.

“You don’t look good, Tom. What’s wrong?”

“I’m fine.”

But Tom wasn’t quite sure if this was the truth. He knew that leaving his home was leaving safety, and he wasn’t quite sure why he was doing it. This whole time he had felt sort of trapped in his body with no way out, and his actions were now having their consequences. As his hands bought the tickets and held the wrist of his fiancée, his mind was telling him to stop it all now when he could still back out. But his subconscious was telling him differently. It was saying, ‘Follow the charmed girl. You know you want to.’

The couple boarded the train, all the while Tom’s mind was continuing to wander. He suddenly felt completely out of control, and wished that he could go back home. Nonetheless, his feet carried him onward, and his outward movements remained calm. Even his speech seemed unchanged, yet his mind was still racing.

~*~

“We’re getting married there tomorrow, Tom.”

“I know, love. I know.”

The odd couple stood in a far-off meadow holding hands. They looked out upon a gorgeous white church in the distance back dropped by a colourful sunset. The area seemed to glow with happiness and excitement. Everyone could feel it.

Everything had been set up. The ceremony was going to be a relatively quick Muggle service, consisting of basically only the vows. Merope had bought her dress, very simple but effective. And Tom’s tuxedo was much the same. That night they would be staying in a nearby hotel, and the next day would be the big one. Everything was going to be perfect.

Everything-- except for one thing. Tom. He was still unsure of this, and felt forced into making the decision. He was pretty sure he didn’t want to marry this woman, yet somehow he did. All of his reactions were going crazy, and he just didn’t know how he felt anymore. Whatever charm this woman had put on him, it was working, and well. He no longer had control of anything, and he was beginning to feel angry. He knew it wasn’t like him to act that way, but it wasn’t like him to pretend to be in love either. The whole world was flipping around in his mind and he just didn’t know which way was up anymore. Nothing was right.

“Trust me, I know.”