Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Portrait of A Love Lost by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Love is the magician that pulls man out of his own hat. ~Ben Hecht


Albus Dumbledore walked purposefully down the street, his robes billowing lightly in the midsummer breeze. He had several errands to accomplish, the first of which took him to a red telephone booth in the heart of Muggle London. Although he could have Apparated to the Ministry of Magic, Albus felt like walking; he was enjoying the sunshine and the sights as he turned over the many thoughts in his mind.

The Minister of Magic had asked to meet with him in light of the recent escalation of violence in Europe. The Muggle war was rapidly reaching epic proportions, and the wizarding community was beginning to struggle with its own problems stemming from the conflict. Parallel to the rise of Muggle prejudices fueling the war, a renewed round of pureblood fanaticism was developing in the European wizarding world, encouraged by the charismatic leadership of a wizard from an old European family by the name of Grindelwald.

Albus had met Grindelwald once before. He had found him to be a very intelligent, articulate speaker who could captivate an audience with impassioned rhetoric and charismatic style. While the man had appeared both earnest and sincere, Albus had sensed something slightly foreboding about him. Grindelwald was not afraid to express his strong opinions on wizarding heritage or the International Statute of Secrecy. These beliefs conflicted strongly with Albus’ own feelings on both subjects. Grindelwald had also been very clear about his aspirations to rule and his desire for power, under the guise of gently guiding wizarding society as its selfless leader. But while others had praised a man driven and focused on his goals, Albus had instead sensed a wizard who would do anything to attain them, and at any cost.

The Minister for Magic not only wished to discuss the Muggle response to the war with Germany, but the wizarding world’s reaction to it. He had hinted at increasing concerns regarding Grindelwald, concerns that Albus had been warning him about for several years. Grindelwald’s divisive polemics had begun to take root in Britain, and the Ministry had done little to discourage the elitist sentiment that characterized the movement. Because Albus had several other reasons to be in London, he had agreed to meet with the Minister for one hour; otherwise, he would have refused on the grounds of his upcoming marriage the following day.

Albus smiled as he thought about Cathryn, and the ceremony they would soon celebrate at Hogwarts. He was meeting her later in Diagon Alley, after his meeting with the Minister. They had an appointment for a final fitting of their wedding robes at Madam Malkin’s, and were hoping to spend a pleasant night together at the Muggle symphony.

Thoughts of war, weddings, and robes were pushed from his mind as Albus turned the corner to find the red phone booth which led into the Ministry of Magic. The telephone box was a recent addition to the charms protecting the building. Albus found it quaint and endearing, a reminder of how close the wizarding community lived with the Muggle world.

Stepping into the shiny red booth, Albus lifted the receiver and dialed the magical code that would connect him to the operator. A bright voice answered as if in the booth with him, politely inquiring his name and the reason for his visit.

“Albus Dumbledore, here to see the Minister for Magic. I have an appointment.”

“Thank you. Have a pleasant visit at the Ministry, Professor,” answered the Ministry welcome witch.

“Thank-you, Miss Smith,” replied Albus cordially as the phone booth began to descend to the level of the Ministry’s new underground atrium. Stepping out of the phone booth, Albus was immediately struck by how much progress had been made since his last visit. The wizards who were enchanting the ceiling had finished more than half of it, and a large sculpture was being erected in the fountain located at the center of the room. The fireplaces on either side of the long hall were all working as wizards and witches used the Floo network for their transportation needs.

Albus nodded to several acquaintances as he crossed the long open space, and made his way to the small station at the other end of the hall, where a single wizard welcomed visitors and examined their wands. “Good afternoon, Samuel,” said Albus, smiling at the earnest young man who took his job very seriously.

“Good afternoon, sir!” Samuel barked, standing straight and tall as he waited patiently for the older man to offer his wand. With a smile, Albus let Samuel place the wand on the magical scale, and thanked him when he handed the wand back with both hands, as if afraid to break it.

“Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials, sir,” said Samuel as Albus passed by the desk into the Ministry itself. Albus smiled at the young man’s formal language.

“Thank you, Samuel. I am quite delighted to be celebrating such an occasion at my age.” He winked at the guard and was pleased when Samuel blushed.

“You are a very lucky man, sir. Ms. Beckett is a beautiful witch.” He was practically stammering in embarrassment, but seemed determined to offer his sincere best wishes.

“And sneaky, too,” replied Albus. “Do you know that just last month she hexed my favorite pair of slippers? They barked for a week.” He laughed as Samuel’s blush paled at the seemingly intimate information he was privy to. “Never let a lady near your treasured possessions, Samuel.” Shaking his head with another laugh, Albus tipped his hat to Samuel and continued on.

Stepping into a lift, Albus signaled the wizard in charge that he wished to visit Level One. When the lift clattered to a stop, Albus stepped out and made his way to the Minister’s office. He suddenly wished he were listening to the Proms in London with his future wife, instead of once more trying to solve the Ministry’s problems for them.



“Cathryn!” Albus exclaimed, taking her hands and kissing her on the cheek. “Have you been waiting long?”

“Only several hours,” she replied with a laugh, sitting down at the small table she had taken over with books and parchments on Ancient Runes, and signaling to the barkeeper. Albus pulled out a chair and joined her. “You know I don’t mind, Albus. An afternoon at the Leaky Cauldron is always a day well spent,” she added as the barkeeper walked up to the table. She winked at Albus when the young man tripped slightly and blushed at her comment.

“This is Tom,” Cathryn continued. “He has been keeping me company in your upsetting absence. He’s taking over for Henry.” Albus nodded politely to Tom and ordered a Firewhisky; Cathryn raised her eyebrows at his order as the barkeeper walked away. “Rough meeting, then?” she asked with a smile.

Albus sighed. “It was indeed. The situation in both the Muggle world and our own continues to worsen. The new Muggle Prime Minister seems quite good “ I should very much like to meet him - but I’m afraid our own leaders are having a difficult time dealing with things.”

Cathryn frowned slightly. “Do you mean the problems with Grindelwald? But I thought his influence was confined to the European continent.”

“It appears he is gaining a stronger foothold in Britain than is commonly known. Thank you,” said Albus, as Tom delivered his Firewhisky. He took a sip and felt the fiery liquid coat his throat. A small puff of smoke escaped his lips as he set down the glass and continued. “There have been a number of small incidents, though none have been violent. The Ministry is very concerned, but as usual has no idea what to do about it.”

“And did you enlighten them, dear?” she asked with a small smile, sipping her own cup of tea.

“Of course I did,” he answered, missing the teasing tone in her voice. “I’ve been saying the same thing for years, but I’m afraid the Ministry has never been very proactive, only reactive.” He sighed and took a longer sip of Firewhisky; smoke poured from his ears.

Cathryn smiled fondly. “You should have accepted their last job offer, you could have changed things. Has the Minister spoken to the Muggle leader? What is his name, Churchill? If he is as good as they say, perhaps he might be able to help.”

Albus shook his head. “Churchill has his hands full with the Muggle conflict. I’m told his reaction to learning about the wizarding world this past May was something along the lines of ‘Tell me again when the war is over.’ He is simply overwhelmed.”

Cathryn finished her tea and began to pack up the books she had been reading. “You met with the Minister and offered your best advice. You have other things to think about now.”

Albus finished his Firewhisky and let out a small, flaming burp. “Excuse me!” He helped his fiancée to her feet and took the heavy bag of books she had been studying. “I assume you mean the incredibly important task of robe fitting.”

Cathryn slapped him lightly on the arm. “We can’t very well be married without any clothes.”

“Why not?” asked Albus as they left the pub through the back and entered Diagon Alley. “Many ancient societies married naked. It might be refreshing.” He wagged his eyebrows at her and was rewarded with his favorite look of mixed exasperation and amusement.

“Really, Albus! Be decent. I don’t think our guests would appreciate the sight of a hundred year old naked man in front of them.” They made their way through the crowded streets of the magical alleyway of shops.

“Touché!” he laughed, and taking her hand they continued on their way to Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions, enjoying their time alone together before the wedding the following day.

As they walked, Albus let his eyes wander around the alley, until they were drawn to a small speck high in the clear blue sky. Squinting into the sun, Albus saw a large red and gold bird flying above them. It was dipping and diving through the air in joyful flight, and he noticed immediately that the bird was a phoenix. As if it had felt Albus’ gaze, the phoenix let out a beautiful cry and swooped down towards them; they felt the rush of its wings as it continued its airborne dance and returned to the currents aloft. Other wizards stopped and pointed at the stunning bird. Albus shook his head, astonished: a phoenix was a pleasantly rare sight anywhere, but a truly unique one to experience in London.

“It’s beautiful,” Cathryn said softly, still gazing at the sky. “I wonder what it is doing here in London.”

Albus was quiet as he pondered the strange sighting. He felt as if the phoenix were watching over them as it continued to soar through the sky. And though he felt lucky to see such a bird, he also felt a strange sense of unease. He did not answer, and they finished their trip to Madam Malkin’s in contemplative silence.

Entering the shop, Albus and Cathryn were greeted by an ancient witch with white hair and yellow robes. She hunched over when she walked, squinted at her customers, and spoke in a high, wispy voice.

“The future Dumbledores! Come in, come in!” She led them to the back of the shop, where she introduced them to a younger witch in maroon robes who had a magical measuring tape draped around her shoulders. “This is my daughter; she’ll be helping with your final measurements.”

The younger Miss Malkin nodded, and handed them each a set of fine blue robes. “Please try these on and we’ll make the final adjustments over here.”

Stepping into a small changing room, Albus pulled on his blue robes and took a moment to admire the fine craftsmanship. He had probably never owned such an exquisite item of clothing. The robes were a deep dark blue, and the material seemed to ripple like water. It was lined with green satin, and trimmed with delicate emerald stitching in a complex pattern of knotwork and scrolls. If he had been interested in such things, Albus had to admit the robes matched his blue eyes perfectly, and set off his auburn hair nicely.

Walking back into the shop, Albus stopped short when he saw Cathryn standing in front of a large mirror, where Miss Malkin was making the final adjustments to her own stunning robes. His breath caught in his throat as he stared at the beautiful witch who would soon be his wife.

Cathryn’s robes were a lighter shade of blue, almost grey, a perfect compliment to Albus’ darker robes. They were made of a shimmery material that reflected the light and made it seem as if a hundred stars lit the gown from underneath. The robes were lined with spring green satin and like his own were trimmed with complicated fine green stitching. Cathyrn had pulled up her long chocolate brown hair and secured it with her wand; a few strands had escaped down her long neck, framing her pale face and grey eyes. She was more beautiful than he had ever seen her.

“What are you staring at, young man?” asked Madam Malkin as she stumped in. She pushed Albus toward a raised dais, where she proceeded to adjust his robes. “You’ll see plenty of her tomorrow.”

“She looks amazing,” Albus said softly, finding himself at a rare loss for words. “You’ve done marvelous work.”

Cathryn turned her head and smiled at him. “You clean up nicely yourself, Professor.”

Albus could only shake his head, somewhat overwhelmed. Tomorrow he would be marrying this incredible woman. In spite of the horrors raging in the world around them, he would be joining his soul mate and living the life he had always hoped for. They were incredibly blessed.

Madam and Miss Malkin finished the robes shortly afterwards. The wedding finery was wrapped and sent by owl to Hogwarts for the ceremony the following day. Albus and Cathryn left the shop with many wishes for a long life of happiness together. They made their way back to the Leaky Cauldron and passed back into the Muggle world. They did not see the phoenix bird again.



Holding hands, Albus and Cathryn walked to a small but elegant restaurant on the river. It was owned by a Squib named Orsino. He was a genial bear-like man who greeted them by name at the door, and ushered them personally to a small table by the windows.

“What brings you to London tonight?” Orsino asked in a great booming voice.

“We are attending the concert at the Proms,” answered Albus. “I should like a glass of wine and the house special.”

Orsino nodded, turned to Cathryn, and bowed deeply. “And what may I get for you, my lady?” he asked formally. Albus raised his eyebrows as Cathryn allowed the dark-haired maître d' to kiss her hand.

“Charming,” she said, smiling. “Too bad I’m engaged. I should like a glass of wine as well, along with the chicken risotto.”

With another bow, Orsino left for the kitchen. He returned shortly with two long-stemmed glasses and a chilled bottle of wine. “Compliments of the house,” he said, pouring them each a drink. “With our congratulations.”

“Thank you,” they both replied. Orsino left them, and with unspoken agreement they raised their glasses in a private toast.

“To our future,” said Cathryn.

“And our past,” added Albus, and together they drank deeply. Setting his glass down, he motioned to the maître d'. Orsino returned to the table once more with a large box wrapped simply in brown paper and topped by a brilliant blue and green bow. Cathryn narrowed her eyes as Orsino returned to the kitchen.

“I thought we weren’t exchanging gifts,” she said somewhat accusingly, though her eyes were sparkling in anticipation.

“We’re not,” Albus answered. “This is simply a random, but timely, token of my love for a beautiful woman. I couldn’t resist it when I came across it this afternoon.”

“That’s why you were late!” she laughed, ripping the bow from the box with the enthusiasm of a child. “Then the wait was certainly worth it. I had a lovely chat with Tom the barman and I get a - ” She stopped short as she lifted the lid and saw what lay underneath. “Oh, Albus “ it’s wonderful!”

Gently she lifted a shallow silver basin from the box and set it on the table. The basin was made of stone and various runes and symbols were carved around the edge. It was empty, but Cathryn immediately knew what it was. “A Pensieve!” she exclaimed. “Wherever did you find it?”

“At Ollivander’s, of all places,” replied Albus, pleased at her response. “Somehow he had managed to procure two of them, and was kind enough to offer me the second one. I know how much you’ve wanted one.”

Cathryn’s eyes were very bright as she reached across the table and took his hand. “It’s perfect. Thank you so much.”

“You are quite welcome, my dear.” Albus gazed at her, watching as she explored the new Pensieve. It made him immensely satisfied to have made her so happy; he could only hope that he would continue to do so for the rest of their lives together.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knocking at the window. Albus saw a snowy owl carrying a message, pecking urgently at the glass. Orsino was there immediately, and opened the window as the other diners turned to see what was happening. To Albus’ surprise, the owl landed on their table and held out a leg to him. He took the parchment, and with a hoot the owl flew out of the window. The other patrons turned back to their meals, hardly blinking an eye.

Albus frowned as he read over a message from the Minister for Magic.

“What is it?” asked Cathryn with a worried expression. Albus sighed as he rolled up the parchment.

“Apparently, the Minister had good reason to be concerned about Grindelwald: there’s been an attack on Muggleborns here in London. I’m afraid I won’t be able to attend the concert tonight, he’d like to see me again.”

Cathryn looked disappointed but supportive. “It’s okay, I understand. I’ll just head back to Hogwarts and play with my new gift. I can make sure everything is ready for tomorrow.”

Albus shook his head. “I’m so sorry. This is not how I wanted to spend tonight. You should still go to the concert. What is Jane doing tonight?” Jane was Cathryn’s only daughter. Her father, Cathryn’s first husband, had been a Muggle captain during the first war in Europe. He had been killed in battle when Jane was a small girl.

“She’s in Hogsmeade already, visiting friends,” replied Cathryn. “Really, Albus “ I don’t mind. We’ll be back in London in a few weeks, and we can try to see the symphony then.”

“Well, I’m finishing my dinner, at the very least,” said Albus as Orsino delivered two steaming plates of delicious food to the table with yet another bow. “The Minister can wait fifteen minutes.” He picked up his fork and began to eat his dinner, feeling somewhat irritated at the interruption to his night.

“Did the Minister say what had happened?” asked Cathryn curiously.

“Only that there was a fight outside the Ministry itself. Apparently a small demonstration in support of Grindelwald’s pureblood policies deteriorated into violence.” Albus shook his head and sighed. “This is exactly what we discussed this afternoon. I can’t believe it’s happened so soon.”

Cathryn looked worried. “Do you suppose it will be safe to have the wedding tomorrow? There will be a number of Muggleborns and half-bloods there, including Jane. I’d hate for anything to happen, perhaps we should wait.”

Albus looked up in surprise. “Absolutely not! We can’t let the possibility of something going wrong keep us from living our lives. We may as well hole up in Hogwarts with our heads in the ground and hope it all passes us by. You know I am not that kind of wizard, and you aren’t such a witch. We will take every precaution we can tomorrow. The wedding will be as safe as anywhere in Britain.”

“Should we postpone our trip then?” she asked, sipping her wine but still looking concerned.

“Of course not,” he answered firmly. “We’ll stay in touch with Hogwarts and the Ministry as needed and hope it won’t be necessary to cut short our vacation.” Taking her hand, Albus looked deep into Cathryn’s eyes. “We will be married tomorrow, and we will take our trip, and we will live a long, happy life together. No war and no wizard can stop us, I promise.”

Cathryn squeezed his hand and smiled back, her eyes bright. “You’re right, of course. I overreacted.”

Albus returned to his plate. “It is a habit of the very young,” he teased, hoping to lighten the mood. He was glad to hear her laugh, though she did not offer back her usual clever retort.

Finishing his meal, Albus stood and kissed her on the cheek. “I’d rather you didn’t return to Diagon Alley alone. I believe Orsino is connected to the Floo network. You should be able to return to Hogwarts from here.”

She nodded, and stood up to hug him. “Of course. Be careful, though. And come back soon. I’ll be worried until you do.”

Albus nodded and winked. “I can handle myself. I have somewhat of a reputation after all. And I have an important date tomorrow to look forward to. Travel safely. I’ll see you back at Hogwarts.”

With another quick kiss, Albus turned and left the restaurant through the back door. He would Apparate to the Ministry, where the Minister was no doubt pacing in panic as he waited. Albus shook his head as he pondered the sudden turn of events. Grindelwald’s influence was apparently spreading and gaining strength faster than any of them had thought. The Muggle conflict aside, Albus suddenly feared for the first time that the wizarding world was on the brink of its own war.


* * *

A/N: Thank you to Ritta, mugglemathdork, for her hard work as my beta! She has endured far too many PM’s from me regarding this story and I appreciate her wonderful support!