Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Portrait of A Love Lost by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began. ~Leo Tolstoy


Albus Dumbledore stood in front of the mirror in his office, adjusting his dark blue dress robes as he thought about his upcoming wedding, and the ill-timed circumstances surrounding what should have been a happy day. Tensions in the wizarding world had dramatically increased, now that Grindelwald’s influence had made its official presence known in Britain with the disastrous events of the night before. The Muggle war continued to deteriorate. Though every possible magical precaution had been taken to ensure the safety of the wedding guests, Albus was still worried. He was not accustomed to such feelings, and frowned at his reflection.

“What’s the matter, dearie?” asked the mirror in a kind voice “You seem out of sorts for a man about to be married.”

Albus sighed. “On the contrary, I am extraordinarily happy to be married. However, I must admit that I am somewhat worried.”

If the mirror itself had a face, it would have smiled at Albus in sympathetic understanding. “You’re not the first groom who has said that, dear. You’ll make a wonderful husband, and you look marvelous.”

“Thank you,” replied Albus, with a laugh. “Not what I was particularly worried about, but I’ll take whatever reassurance I can.” However, his smile only glossed over a deeper worry: Grindelwald had pledged to bring his hateful rhetoric to England, and the Ministry had mistakenly underestimated the dark wizard’s power and influence. With violence now breaking out in the wizarding community, it appeared that Grindelwald had successfully accomplished his goal. Albus was worried about the future, and not just as a married man, but as a wizard and citizen of Britain as well.

His thoughts were interrupted when the doors to his office were unceremoniously flung open by two wizards dressed in emerald green robes. One stumped in with a grunt and began to pace, the other walked in gracefully and sat in a nearby chair.

“Albus, for once in your life you actually look nervous,” growled his brother, Aberforth. “Or maybe it’s just these damned robes. Uncomfortable doesn’t even begin to describe these eyesores.” He tugged uselessly at his collar, which was embroidered with blue trim that matched Albus’s robes.

“I think they’re quite nice,” said the other man in a refined tone of voice. “Very comfortable and absolutely stunning. ”

Aberforth snorted. “You would think so, Aldred. You’ve been working underground for too long. The Department of Mysteries has addled your brain.”

Aldred raised his eyebrows. “And the Hog’s Head has done wonders for yours, I see.”

Albus turned around with a genuine smile on his face as his brother and cousin exchanged more banter. It set him at ease; if the two men were bickering as normal, the rest of the day would follow as well. He would worry about the state of the world later.

“All right, it’s my wedding day,” he said, turning away from the mirror. “May I request an afternoon of peace from you both, as a gift? Under pain of a very unpleasant Transfiguration spell?”

Aberforth gave a barking laugh. “I’ll try but I can’t promise I won’t turn him into a goat if he starts anything.”

Aldred looked indignant. “Couldn’t you at least muck around with a decent animal for once? I’d prefer a horse at the very least, or perhaps a raven.”

“Enough!” laughed Albus. “I’ll be right out. Please give me a minute.” Aberforth stumped out, muttering insults, while Aldred followed, throwing sarcastic retorts in response.

Albus took a final look in the mirror. He adjusted his robes for the third time and straightened his half-moon spectacles. Reluctantly he admitted to himself that he was indeed somewhat nervous about the prospect of being married within the hour. What man wouldn’t be? He loved Cathryn with all his heart and wanted more than anything to spend a long and happy life together. What was there to worry about then, other than war and politics and hateful prejudices? He shook his head at his reflection, and laughed at himself for having such maudlin thoughts on his wedding day. Taking a deep breath, he fluffed his beard and smoothed down his hair one last time before turning away from the mirror.

“Good luck, dear,” called the mirror. “She’s a lucky woman, you know.” Albus could have sworn he heard a sniff.

“And I’m a lucky man,” he replied softly, knowing full well that he was more than lucky. He was blessed.

As he walked toward the door, Albus saw a small package lying on a table; he had not noticed it earlier. Feeling a pleasant surge of anticipation, he tore the wrapping from the small box and opened it. A wide smile broke out across his face when he removed the lid and saw the gift that lay inside. It was a stunning gold watch, with twelve tiny planets moving around the edge instead of numbers. Albus was mesmerized, and could hardly stop staring at its timeless beauty. There was a tiny inscription on the back:

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear,
too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice.
But for those who love, time is eternity.
Love always, Cathryn
August 10, 1940


The gift was exquisite, the inscription perfect. Albus felt his eyes tear over as he placed the watch in the pocket of his robes. Cathryn was truly a remarkable woman to be able to do such things to him. Wiping away any signs of wetness, he took a deep breath and smiled. He made his way to the Great Hall, where he would be finally marrying the most amazing woman he had ever known.




The Great Hall of Hogwarts had not hosted a wedding for centuries. Professor Merrythought, the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, had gone all out with decorations in preparation for the special day. The walls were draped in blue silk, falling like waterfalls from the enchanted ceiling, where hundreds of stars twinkled overhead in a clear cloudless sky. Golden candles floated at regular intervals along the blue walls, set in groups of three and surrounded by wreaths of red roses. The long house tables had been stored away and replaced with dozens of smaller tables and chairs for the wedding guests. Each table was draped in blue silk and set with matching flowers and china.

The raised dais at the front of the hall was also cleared of tables. The only decoration was a large iron candelabrum placed in the center of the platform, bearing four unlit tapers and set with roses and silver ribbon. On the wall behind the candelabra hung a large Hogwarts banner, flanked by smaller banners representing the two Houses which would be joined that day: Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. A rich green carpet ran down the center of the hall to the dais, and a company of golden fairies sat ready to throw rose petals along the path when the bride entered. An enchanted string quartet played soft music to entertain the waiting guests.

An official from the Ministry of Magic stood in front of the candelabrum, his wand held loosely in his hands as he waited for the ceremony to begin. He was a tall man, with grey hair, a trim beard, and deep green eyes that spoke of great love. He was an Unspeakable from the Department of Mysteries, and it was his job to perform the wizarding marriage rites.

Albus Dumbledore entered through a side door and stood at the foot of the dais, his brother and cousin standing next to him. The Ministry official waved his wand at the quartet behind him, and the enchanted instruments began to play a stirring march. Everyone in the hall stood as the golden fairies made their way down the green carpet, flinging rose petals everywhere, including at the wedding guests. Albus rolled his eyes at Cathryn’s odd sense of romantic tradition, but was suddenly left breathless as she entered the hall, escorted by her daughter Jane, and best friend, Mary.

The stunning blue robes she had tried on the day before positively glowed in the candlelight. Her chocolate brown hair was arranged in a complicated series of braids and curls, and entwined with blue ribbons that ran like water through her brilliant hair. Her grey eyes were sparkling with joy as she gazed lovingly at Albus. She carried a single red rose, and smiled as she walked gracefully down the aisle. The string quartet swelled as she took her place next to Albus at the front of the hall.

“Close your mouth,” she whispered with a wink, and Albus had to shake himself as if out of a dream. They turned and faced the grey-haired wizard joining them together that day.

“Friends and family, I welcome you to Hogwarts as we celebrate the union between Cathryn and Albus. Tonight the separate threads of their lives shall be woven into a single grand tapestry of love.”

The official began by turning first to Cathryn. “What is your name?” he asked, in a pleasant baritone voice.

“Cathryn Elizabeth Rufford Beckett,” she replied.

“And what is your wish?”

“To join with he whom I love.”

The grey-haired wizard then turned to Albus and asked the same question. “What is your name?”

“Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore,” he answered, his eyes twinkling at the ancient ritual; he saw his brother hold in a snort at the lengthy name.

“And what is your wish?”

“To join with she whom I love.”

The official smiled and cleared his throat. He lifted his long holly and conjured a length of shining silver ribbon. “You have stated your intent, now you must affirm your pledge to one other. Please place your hands together, and answer ‘We will’ to each question.”

Albus took Cathryn’s hand in his, and they raised their joined hands in front of the official. She squeezed his fingers tightly and gave him the small secret smile that always made his heart skip a beat.

“Will you pledge your loyalty and support to one another in times of both happiness and sorrow?”

With one voice they answered, “We will.” The official waved his wand and the silver ribbon wrapped around their hands once, tying itself into a knot.

“Will you pledge to be honest with one another in all things you say and do?”

“We will,” they answered together, and the ribbon wrapped itself around their bound wrists a second time, creating a second knot.

“Will you pledge to temper your words and actions, and live your new life together, with love and compassion?”

“We will.” The ribbon tied a third knot around their bound hands.

“These things you have pledged to each other, before this company and one another. With these words and with this ribbon you are now bound to this pledge.”

The official tapped the ribbon with his wand, undoing the knots and Transfiguring the ribbon into a dozen silver fairies. They flew into the hall, joining the golden fairies as they floated among the guests. “You may now speak your vows to one another.”

Albus and Cathryn continued to hold hands, and stepped up to the candelabrum. They drew their wands, and conjured a small flame each; hers was blue, and his was crimson red.

Albus lit the first candle while making his vow: “With this light from the North, I promise you love, loyalty, and strength.”

Cathryn added her own blue fire to the candle, and answered, “I will hold your promise in my heart, and promise you the same,” she answered. The combined flame burned clear white. Then she stepped around the candelabrum to the next taper. “With this light from the South, I promise you love, passion, and desire.”

“I will hold your promise in my heart, and promise you the same,” Albus answered, joining his flame with hers. As the fire burned clear, he moved to the third candle. “With this light from the East, I promise you love, laughter, and hope.”

Cathryn spoke the answer, and lit the last candle. “With this light from the West, I promise you love, honesty, and understanding.”

“I will hold your promise in my heart, and promise you the same,” finished Albus.

After lighting the final candle, they stepped back and watched, as the four flames burned higher and higher. They twisted and twined together, joining together as one as they reached toward the starry sky. At some point high above them, the single stream of golden light burst into a hundred smaller beams. They fell from the air and wrapped themselves harmlessly around the couple, enveloping them in golden ribbons of fire.

The Ministry official stepped up in front of them once more. “Bound by a pledge, encircled by a promise: as a symbol of your new life together and a reminder of your vows, I ask you to exchange these rings as token of your love.” He performed a complicated twirl in the air with his wand, and a pair of rings appeared: one silver and the other gold. They were engraved with a beautiful design of scrollwork.

“May the element of Air bless these rings, for hopes and dreams and everlasting love.” The official conjured a breeze that fluttered across the room and brushed against the silver and gold rings.

“May the element of Water bless these rings, for harmony and healing and undying love.” A stream of water appeared from the official’s holly wand, cascading over the rings like a fountain, and disappearing before hitting the dais.

“May the element of Fire bless these rings, for the spark of love and the warmth of compassion.” A jet of red flame shot from the tip of his wand, engulfing the rings in harmless fire.

“And may the element of Earth bless these rings, for strength and stability.” A small flower appeared from the tip of the official’s wand, and Cathryn laughed; the official winked at her, and taking the rings, he handed one to each of them.

“These rings shall serve as a reminder of your vows to one another. May you wear these symbols of everlasting life proudly on your hands as a symbol too of your everlasting love.”

Albus placed the silver ring on Cathryn’s hand; when he had finished, he gallantly took her fingers and kissed them. She rolled her eyes even as she smiled joyfully. She then placed the golden ring on his hand, and together they turned toward the grey-haired official one last time.

“In pledging your love to one another, you have bound your lives together through all time. May the winds of communication blow between you; may the fire of love warm you; may the waters of life sustain you; and may the strength of the Earth steady you.”

The grey-haired man paused, his green eyes suddenly drawn to a fluttering movement in the back of the hall. A burst of bird-song filled the eaves, and Albus turned around to see the flame red phoenix from Diagon Alley swirling through stars above them, singing a glorious song. The wedding guests gasped, and followed the bird through the air: it was a truly magical omen to have a phoenix appear at a wedding. Though the bird was a symbol of love and loyalty, Albus experienced the same unease he had felt the previous day. Turning back to Cathryn, Albus saw tears in her eyes. He squeezed her hand, and she smiled. Together they waited for the final pronouncement as the phoenix perched on an empty chair, silent.

The official made one last gesture with his wand. “And may you live your life guided by, watched over, and filled with the love you have shared today.” The golden ribbons of light surrounding them dissolved into a pale pink glow that enveloped the couple in its soft light. The Ministry official nodded in approval, and stepped back. Albus and Cathryn leaned in and kissed, sealing the final charm which bound them to one another. The mysterious phoenix let out a single piercing note. The pale pink glow surrounding them burst into a hundred rose petals that showered the couple. They broke apart, laughing in surprise.

“Just another little personal touch,” laughed the grey-haired man with another wink. “Congratulations Albus and Cathryn. You are now man and woman, wizard and witch, husband and wife. Two joined as one, for all eternity.” He raised his wand and sent up a jet of pale green sparks.

Turning around, Albus and Cathryn found the rest of the hall awash with a rainbow of color as the wedding guests raised their wands in tribute. The string quartet broke into a sprightly Irish jig, and a great cheering broke out.

Albus took Cathryn’s face in his hands, and kissed her soundly once more. “I do love you,” he whispered softly.

“I know,” she whispered back, tickling his ear with her breath. “And I love you. Ready for the party?”

“My favorite part of the evening!” he exclaimed as they joined hands and made their way down the green carpet to the back of the hall. Dozens of silver and gold fairies surrounded them as sparks continued to fill the air, and the string quartet fiddled away an Irish reel.

“I thought that was later,” Cathryn teased, drawing a rare blush from Albus Dumbledore.

“My dear,” he replied with an impish grin, “you have no idea.”

Their life together had begun, with love and laughter, music and magic. For one night the world stood still for two lovers lost in a timeless joy, as friends and family surrounded them in celebration. The phoenix sang one last beautiful song for the blessed couple, and flew off into the starry night.


* * *


A/N: The quotation on the watch is by Henry Van Dyke. The rituals used in the wedding ceremony were gathered through various online sources. I rewrote the majority of the text to fit my own needs, and added the magical bits and pieces. Thank you to mugglemathdork for her great beta work! I hope you enjoyed this magical wedding, I am rather pleased with how it turned out for them.