Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blinded by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.




Bella did not rest, as her sister had suggested. She didn’t even close her eyes, not that it would have made much difference. She saw only blackness whether her eyes were opened or closed, and she was very confident that was all she would see for the rest of her life. It was kind of ironic, in a way, she had always been drawn to the darkness, and now she could see nothing else.

She lay awake contemplating her new situation. She couldn’t see. Her body was in such immense pain that she could hardly move. She woke up to find that she had been taken in be her estranged sister, whose husband was determined to see her thrown in Azkaban. And, by that time, Rodolphus had probably realized that Andromeda was helping her and had no intention of turning her over to Azkaban. Therefore, he was most likely plotting some new way to torture her, and maybe Andromeda too. No matter how she looked at it, this was not a good situation, for anyone.

She knew that it would be best if she left. That would be the easiest way to keep her sister safe, but she was physically unable to do it. If she could hardly sit up then it was clear that she was not going anywhere, at least not under her own power.

She tried to roll over, and felt something jam into her side. She reached down to discover that her wand was still in her pocket. Why would Andromeda allow her to keep a wand? With her track record, she was surprised her sister didn’t feel the need to restrain her, even in her weakened condition.

A wand made her slightly less vulnerable, but only slightly. Even with it, she couldn’t leave. She couldn’t see, and she couldn’t stand up. Her wand could not assist her with those problems. It was time for her to accept that she was not going anywhere. For the time being, she was completely at the mercy of Andromeda and her husband. No matter how much she hated it, she was helpless.

This was not something that Bella was used to. She was a fighter. Even as a child, everyone told her that she would grow up to be a warrior. She didn’t depend on anyone for anything. It just wasn’t part of her nature. How could she possibly handle a new life where she would have to rely on another person just to know if the sun was shining or what time of day it was? How could she live as the half the person she used to be?

Tears stung the back of her eyes, but she was not given the opportunity to mourn the loss of her vision”of her life. She heard the bedroom door squeak opened, once again.

“Bellatrix,” said a soft female voice, “I’m Elizabeth Jordan. I don’t know if you remember me; I was in Andromeda’s year at Hogwarts. We used to be friends. Anyway, I’m a Healer now, and your sister has asked me to look at you as a personal favor.”

“I remember you,” Bella replied.

It was true. She did remember Elizabeth Jordan. She remembered her as a Mudblood, a prissy brat from Ravenclaw, who Bella and her friends frequently poked fun at. She knew nothing else of the girl, but that was plenty. She had no idea her sister started hanging around with filth so early. She always thought Ted had been the first Mudblood in her life.

But Bella was too offended to spend much time contemplating her sister’s poor choice of friends. She couldn’t believe that she was expected to let this woman investigate her body. It was humiliating. She was supposed to put her faith in a Mudblood Ravenclaw! How could Andromeda do this to her? She knew how Bella would feel about this. Didn’t she care? Didn’t she think about her dignity?

Bella wanted to order the woman out of the room. She wanted to address her like the filth she was. She wanted to tell her that she would never touch her with her unworthy hands. But she couldn’t. If she sent this woman away, she would lose her only chance to be treated. Her only chance to know for sure what happened to her vision. Her only chance to have her pain eased. She had no choice. As much as it repulsed her, she had to be civil to the Mudblood.

“Andromeda has told me that you have lost your vision. Do you have any idea what caused this?”

“I don’t know for sure, but my husband used a spell that I didn’t recognize. That may well be the cause of it.”

“Your husband did this to you?”

“Yes.”

For a moment, Elizabeth said nothing, and then she continued, with the calm detachment of any professional Healer.

“Do you remember what the spell was?”

“No.”

“I’m going to do an identifying spell on your eyes, if you’ll let me. All it does is tell me what spell was used. Then we’ll know what we’re dealing with, and if there is anything we can do to counter it. Is that all right?”

Bella didn’t want that woman anywhere near her eyes, but she knew there was no other option. It was the only way to find out what he had done to her. Besides, it wasn’t like she could do any more damage. She was already blind. How much worse could it get?

She nodded for the woman to proceed.

Elizabeth muttered an incantation, and then went perfectly silent.

“Well?” Bella asked, after a few minutes of silence.

“I’m sorry. He used the Darkness Curse. I’m afraid the effects are permanent. There is nothing I can do.”

“I figured as much,” Bella told her. “Rodolphus never was much for temporary punishment.”

“I really am sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.”

Again, Elizabeth quickly regained her composure. After all, what was Bella to her but an escaped Death Eater? She was lucky this woman wasn’t having her hauled off to Azkaban. She certainly shouldn’t be expecting pity from her. She didn’t want it anyway. She didn’t want pity from anyone.

“Well, as for your pain,” she continued, in the unnervingly calm voice, “I can give you a potion. And I think you’re in need of a blood-replenishing potion, as well. I can give you dose of each now, if you like.”

“Thank you,” Bella replied.

She allowed Elizabeth to pour both potions into her mouth. She then swallowed, like a good little girl.

“I will leave these potions with Andromeda. You should take the blood-replenishing potion twice a day, and the pain potion as needed. You should start to regain your strength in a couple of days.”

“Thank you,” Bella said, again.

Elizabeth nodded, without realizing that Bella couldn’t see her, and then left the room to explain the situation to Andromeda.

Again, Bella was left alone to fight back tears. A Mudblood had just told her that she would be blind for the rest of her life. A Mudblood had just decided how to treat her injuries. It was degrading. Why would Andromeda entrust her care to someone like that? She honestly didn’t know which was worse, being blind or having it confirmed by a Mudblood.

She held back her tears and wished for sleep. She had never felt more vulnerable and helpless in her life. She just wanted to sleep, so she could escape reality, if only for a few hours.