Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Longbottom Side by crazyfish

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: My first attempt at writing a dark/angsty fic....please read, review, and help me get better! Thanks, hope you enjoy!
Harry and Hermione smiled at Draco's predicament. His wife, Ginny, had forbade him to go anywhere while she was having their baby, but he really had to go to the bathroom. They laughed, and then went on to Ron's room. Even though Harry and Hermione were officially a couple, the Trio had remained friends, only strengthening their bonds as they fought side by side against Death Eaters and other war ravaged creatures. He had been hit with a particularly nasty curse that had rendered him paralyzed from the waist down. The healers were doing their best, but it looked like Ron might have a limp for the rest of his life.

As they left Ron's room to go get something to eat, they ran into Mrs. Longbottom, Neville's grandmother. They exchanged pleasantries, and she mentioned that Neville was visiting his parents, and that they should go say hi. Although they felt uncomfortable, they knew that Mrs. Longbottom could be a force to be reckoned with, and went meekly upstairs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Neville was sitting hunched over his dad's bed, listening intently. There were times where his parents were lucid. They always would tell Neville their stories, hoping they could somehow kill Voldemort, although everyone thought they were insane. Alice and Frank Longbottom only showed their sane side to Neville. When he was with someone else, they'd pass him clues or stories using wrappers- an old trick that they had taught him when he was old enough to understand.





No one had thought to take away their wands. If they couldn't remember anything, then they couldn't cast a spell- at least, that's what the wizard population thought. The Longbottoms had regained all their knowledge after three months in the insane asylum. Frank, the one more talented with charms and spells, performed the receiver charm. Only the person who was supposed to tread the message could, therefore there was no worry of somebody intercepting a note. Alice was more gifted with plants and potions. She taught Neville all she knew about plants, but never got the chance to teach him much about potions.





This time, Frank Longbottom was telling his son the truth about the prophecy. HE, of course, had heard all about it from his mom, who was immensely proud of Neville. She wasn't aware that he had already known about it though.





"Dumbledore contacted us, and the Potters, shortly after the prophecy. Although we all knew about it, we weren't really worried. Both families took proper precautions- the potters used the Fidelius charm, and we used the baby charm." Here he paused, footsteps pounded the corridors. When all was quiet, he continued. "The baby charm was simple. It acted like a muggle babysitter- it protected the baby, no matter what. Then, when, well, when Lily and James were attacked, your mother and I decided to go into hiding- we went to the Headquarters of the Order of Phoenix. The rest of the story you know well."





Footsteps came again, but this time they were quieter, like they weren't supposed to be there. The door opened, and Frank went into his lost mode. Harry and Hermione entered the room with a soft knock on the sterilized walls.

"Hey Neville," Hermione said softly. "We saw your gran, so we thought we'd say hi. But we have to go anyways...." Her eyes told the truth, that they pitied Neville, and wanted to give him time alone with his parents.
now."





With a quick glance at this father, Neville decided to trust them with his biggest secret.





"No, guys, come on in. My, uh, well, my dad and I have something to tell you two." Was it pity that crossed their faces? Neville couldn't tell; it was gone before he could decide.





"Um, Neville," Harry trailed off, not sure how to say "Your father is insane- what is he going to tell us?" tactfully. Neville walked across the white room, and closed the door so the room resembled a big marshmallow.








Interpreting Harry's unfinished sentence correctly, "Harry, I know what you're going to say." He took a deep breath, but plowed on. "The truth is, my parents have fully regained their knowledge. They've just been acting so that no one tries to harm them, and that way they can help the Order. Yes, I know about the Order. I've been acting (well, for the most part) too. I'm actually a lot braver and smarter than you think. See, when I was little, Rabastan Lestrange put a memory charm on me. Eventually, I gained my memory back, but acted like I hadn't-I didn't want to forget what I remembered- who my parents' torturers were. As he shed his deepest secret, he seemed to grow taller- a confident teenager, quite a contrast to the shy Neville Harry and Hermione had grown up with.





Hermione and Harry could only gape in astonishment. Never in a million years would they have guessed that this would happen. Once they got over their shock, they sat down in squashy chairs they had conjured up, and Frank Longbottom came to life.





"First, I have to make sure that you really are who you say you are- just a precautionary thing. I'm going to perform the Revealing spell. Ostendo! There was a bright yellow light that showed Harry and Hermione's surprised faces.





"If you were under a spell, or were taking the Polyjuice Potion, then we would've seen that instead of you." Neville explained. Still in shock, Harry and Hermione could only manage nods. Neville and Frank laughed at the looks on their faces.





"Now for the serious stuff," Frank said. Everyone sobered up, suddenly alert. "It all started when Alice and I heard that the Potters were ready to go into hiding. That night, we were reading tea leaves- you know, trying to pass time." Harry nodded, but couldn't hide a grimace cross his face as he remembered Professor Trelawney's stuffy room. Frank smiled to himself- he only too well remembered Divination, and how much he hated it. He continued on with his story. "Then, the strangest thing happened- we both got the same symbol- the Dark Mark. Obviously, we knew this couldn't be good. Sure enough, Lily and James died soon after." With this, everyone bowed their heads to give Harry a moment of privacy.





"We went into a preplanned mode," he proceeded. "Dumbledore came, and brought us to Order of Phoenix headquarters where all the members were put on guard duty- everything was to be done to keep Neville here safe. That was the most stressful night of our lives. You can't even imagine the tension in the room. We knew there were a lot of angry Death Eaters out there; they were a danger to all of us, especially Neville." Here he broke off, his face and mannerisms looking ten years older. Neville conjured up a glass of water for his father, offering one to Hermione and Harry, before getting one for himself.





"So, Harry," Neville said. "I assume that you- and Hermione- know about the prophecy?" Harry, no longer shocked, nodded his head. He opened his mouth to say something, but Hermione interrupted.





"Wait, Neville, were you there when your parents, well-?"





"Yeah, I was. And let me tell you, that traumatized me a bit." Neville replied with a rueful smile.





"But, Neville, if you were there, then, you saw what really happened? Like, who was there, and what they really wanted?"





"Yeah, I did. You know how I was terrified of Snape?" Two heads nodded. "Well, that's because he was there. He was never blamed because of Dumbledore. In fact, we found out that Voldemort ordered Snape to come to Hogwarts to keep an eye on my memory- and you, Harry."





"That foul greasy git!" Harry exclaimed. "I'm glad he got killed. Well, I am!" He said to the shocked expression on Hermione's face. By now, Frank Longbottom was ready to finish his story.





"We stayed at the Order Headquarters for a long, grueling month. After that, we protected our house as best as anyone could, including the Fidelius Charm. This time, Alice held the secret. This way, we could be sure of our safety. After four more months, the Death Eaters either started coming back into civilization, or going to Azkaban. Attacks had stopped, and it was spring. We were visiting my grandparents’ graves, when five Death Eaters surrounded us.





"They started to jinx us, yelling at us to tell them where Voldemort was, all the while trying to kill us so that they could have a clear path to Neville. As we started to fight back, they started to use the Cruciatus Curse." He faded off, remembering the agony.











The pain is driving me crazy. It numbs my body, ironically, blocking out my pain. I can feel my eyes roll back in my head, and my ribs crack, but I won't give them the satisfaction of screaming. I wish for death, sure that I am already in Hell. They release me, and I go limp, the pain returning in full force. I'm alone then, I scream so loud and hard that my throat bleeds, animals run away, and I cry. The salt drips into my open wounds, causing my face to burn. The world spins around and around as I stagger to my feet. It doesn't work- the ground comes rushing up to meet me, and all things are gone, except for...agony.





My dreams are haunted by hooded figures and malicious laughter; faces come in and out of focus, grey eyes, red eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, black eyes, all seem to taunt me, daring me to move. But I can't- I'm in pain. Pain so strong that death would be welcome. I retch without even opening my eyes. I can still smell like the lovely odor of vomit, blood, and bile. I probably look worse- but I don't care. The pain is so great that I let everything else slip away, and just focus on bliss, deep, endless bliss.








When I wake up, I'm in an unfamiliar place. I sit up, aching. Memories come rushing into my head- a boy named Neville, and indescribable pain. Then, everything goes black again as I reach for unconsciousness. It's better than reality.


"Alice...."








Frank Longbottom passed out, exhausted from telling his draining story. It was always tough for both of Neville's parents- just imagining the pain caused them to shake.





"So," Neville concluded. "That's my parents' story. After that, you pretty much know what happens next- he wakes up insane, but manages to crawl into a nearby wizarding town. My mother joined him in St. Mungos after one of the Order members found her unconscious in the Forbidden Forest- we don't know how she got there. I've been coming here every weekend I can, and all the holidays. But I think they're under some sort of spell, which is why I invited you guys in here. Sometimes I see them remember everything in perfect detail- everything, down to what they were wearing. Then I feel a chill, and their faces go blank, like someone hit them with a memory charm. But why would someone want to do that? It's never very strong- they go back to normal soon enough."





"I have an idea," Hermione replied seriously. " Harry and I will find out for you, if you'd like."





"Can I come too?"





Someone entered the room, but before anyone could turn around, a curse was muttered. Then blackness hit, and there was no more.