Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Swear to Protect by Lady Snuffles

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A/N~So give me a break...it’s my first unromantic fic.
As Sirius Black’s motorbike came to a stop outside the Potter’s home in the cold and early hours of the morning, he looked up at the house in horror. All of the windows to where the living room would have been were smashed in. Sirius could tell from where he stood on the front walk that the living room itself had turned into a junkyard. The front door was partially open and there was a burn mark around the lock. The lock that he alone had a key for.


“Sirius I want you to have this,” James told him holding out a shiny silver key.

“You’re giving me a car?” Sirius asked with blatantly fake excitement.

James shook his head. “No....Lily and I are moving in together. We bought a house in a little village called Godric’s Hollow. It’s very remote and not a wizarding village at all. I’d actually be surprised to see another witch or wizard among the townspeople.”

“So you’re giving me a key to the house then?” Sirius asked.

“Yeah. Lily and I agreed that one of you should have one just in case.”

“Why did you pick me?”

“Ah, I don’t know...you’re my best mate. I love ya like a brother.”

“And brothers share keys?” Sirius asked with a laugh.

“Yeah, something like that...”



Sirius made it up the walk to the door. He pushed it open and heard the eerie creak of unoiled metal. He cringed, not only for the sound of the noise but also because he was afraid of what he would find behind it. Instinctively, he pulled out his wand.

A dark figure on the stairs caught Sirius’ eye, but his brain wouldn’t let him comprehend what it was. When he reached the bottom step his heart stopped. “James! Wake up James! Don’t be d-dead...you c-can’t be dead! Please don’t le-leave me! N-not this close t-to the end of the w-war. C-come back James! I need you! Harry needs you! Lily needs y-” Sirius looked into the blank eyes of his now deceased friend. As a deadly cold chill ran through his body, he called out, “Lily! Lily....”


“You may now kiss the bride!” Lily and James stood on the platform and kissed as if it was their first time. “Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to present to you, Mr. and Mrs. James Potter!”

After the congregation had gone to the reception, Sirius was the only other person left in the church. He hadn’t left his spot in the pew since James and Lily had walked down the asile for the first time as husband and wife. He was sitting in silence just listening to his own thoughts.

“Sirius, there you are!” James said from behind him.

“Yeah, I’m here,” he looked up at his newlywed friend.

“The party hasn’t started yet because of you, you know.”

“Me?”

“Well a party’s not a party unless Sirius Black is there to l
lead it.”

“Really mean it? Or are you just waiting to start because I need to give my speech?”

“Uh.....both?”

“Alright, I’ll be along in a minute.”

“What are you doing anyways?” James asked a little on the concerned side.

“Just thinking.”

“About?” he urged. James sat in the bench next to his best man.

“School. Do you remember the first time you kissed Lily?”

“How could I forget. I tricked her into it. And you three applauded.”

“And in turn we hugged Lily and nick-named her ‘Lils.’

“And you are the only three people who call her that.”

Sirius laughed. “Hogwarts.....those were the days.”

“I know what you mean. But I don’t think I’ll miss the bachelor part of school. It was quite boring actually.”

Sirius laughed again. “I am personally sticking to the life of a single man. No woman will ever rule me.”

“Unless she’s me that is,” came the light voice of Lily, followed by a small laugh.

“Hey, Lils.”

“I’m just kidding you know.”

“Yeah I know. But that is still quite true. You were the only woman who told me to clean up my act and get to work. Look at me now. I have a job, a flat, and bloody hell...I even graduated.”

Lily laughed again. “Well, I’ll make sure that I’ll always be around to keep you on your toes.”



“Lily! LILY! Damn it Lily, where are you!?” Sirius all but screamed. Suddenly he heard a creaking noise coming from Harry’s bedroom, just up the stairs. He gripped his wand more tightly and started sneaking toward the room. “Lils, is that you?” he whispered.


James jumped up the second the door opened. “How are they?” he demanded nervously.

“He and Lily are doing just fine,” Healer Emit said to Sirius and James from the doorway to Lily’s room.

“So it’s a boy?” Sirius asked.

“Yes sir. You can come in and see them now if you wish.” James practically ran while Sirius followed along with a bit of a skip in his step. Once they entered the room they saw Lily sitting up in her bed, a small bundle wrapped in her arms.

“What are you going to name him?” Sirius asked, smiling at the amount of black hair on the baby boy’s head.

Lily gently handed the baby to James as she said, “We decided on Harry James Potter at last minute...literally. That’s what we were talking about when I went into labor.” She laughed slightly. It was then that Sirius noticed how very tired she looked.

“Lils, I haven’t seen you this exhausted since the night before our N.E.W.T. exams.”

“Why don’t you try passing a baby between your legs, and tell me how much energy you have when you’re done?”

She smiled at Sirius then turned her attention to James. “Am I doing this right?” he asked indicating his hand placement on his newborn son.

She smiled sweetly and answered, “Yep. Just watch his head.” Sirius walked over behind James and looked into Harry’s face. He held all of James features down to a tee. From his thin face to the messy jet-black hair. Suddenly, Harry decided to open his eyes, the eyes of his mother. The only characteristic that didn’t belong to James were Harry’s emerald green eyes. They were an exact replica.

“How’s Remus doing?” Lily asked the two men.

“Well, he’s not better, but he hasn’t gotten worse,” Sirius explained. “Peter is with him now, talking with his parents.”

“Poor guy. What’s going to happen when it’s that time of the month?” Lily asked quietly, even though all of the physicians in the hospital knew about Remus Lupin’s ‘furry little problem.’

“Well let’s just hope that his conscious self will come back before that time comes.” They sat, and in Sirius’ case stood, in silence watching Harry blink at each of them.

“Would you like to hold him?” James asked Sirius.

“Of course I would,” Sirius said eagerly. He sat down and held out his arms as James carefully laid Harry down in Sirius’ hold.

“Here you go, Harry. This is Uncle Sirius. Looks a bit like dad doesn’t he?” James told his son.

Lily and James exchanged glances with each other while they watched Sirius’s facination with the new life in his arms. Lily started to laugh lightly until James asked, “Should we tell him?”

Lily nodded. “Do you want to tell him or can I?”

“Tell me what?” Sirius asked tearing his gaze from Harry’s face.

“You can tell him,” James said ignoring Sirius’ statement.

Sirius looked at Lily trying to figure out what they were going to say to him.

“Sirius, we want you to be Harry’s Godfather.”

Sirius was taken aback. “R-really? Me?” He gaped at the both of them. “No, it shouldn’t be me...I mean...Remus is more responsible and Peter is much more careful. How would I be able to take care of a baby?”

“Sirius, first of all, I hate to admit it, but Remus may not ever come around. Secondly, Peter wouldn’t be capable of taking care of an infant no matter how careful he was. He can barely take care of himself. Thirdly, you are the one that makes sure we’re okay after something big happens. You’re the one that keeps us grounded after a fight. You’re the one that is here with us right now,” James reasoned.

“Sirius, can you accept?” Lily asked.

Sirius looked from one friend to the other, then down to the baby in his arms smiling up at him. “Yes...yes I can.”



“Lils?” Sirius asked shakily as he pushed the door to his godson’s nursery open. The first thing he saw was Lily on the floor, her crimson hair sprawled out like a halo above her head a peaceful and satisfied expression on her face. This time he did not run to his friend. Instead, he pointed his wand at a very sad looking Hagrid who was holding a bundle of blankets. Using every ounce of control he had Sirius asked, “What...happened?”

“Voldemor’...” Hagrid stopped to compose him self. “Voldemor’ killed ‘em...” He stopped again and wiped his eyes with a large handkerchief.

“And Harry?” Sirius asked his own composure failing.

Hagrid took a large breath of air before saying, “He killed ‘em an’ he tried ter kill ‘Arry...but he couldn’...and now he’s gone.”

A small squawk came from the blankets in Hagrid’s arms. “Hand him here Hagrid.” Sirius held out his arms. Hagrid reluctantly handed Harry off to Sirius. Once Sirius looked down at his godson he began to cry. He saw the face of one of the two people who meant the most to him in the entire world. He saw the eyes of the other looking up at him. “How did Voldemort find you guys?” Sirius asked the baby boy knowing that he couldn’t answer him. The only person who could say where the Potter’s were, was...“Peter.” Sirius whispered to Harry.


“And you’re sure you want us to switch Sirius?” Peter Pettigrew asked for what must have been the hundredth time. “You really think I should be the Secret Keeper?”

“Yes Peter, I’m positive. You would be the last one that Voldemort would target.”

“Well let’s get on with it then,” James said happily. It was the happiest Sirius had seen him since Harry was born almost a year ago.

“Alright, Alright,” Sirius said, flipping to the correct page in the text. “Ahem, are you ready?” With nods all around the room he began, “Do you, Peter Pettigrew swear to keep secret the whereabouts of Lily Bridget Potter, James Harold Potter and Harry James Potter as long as you shall be asked to or as long as you shall live?”

“Yes. I swear to keep this secret.”

“Do you swear to tell the identity of whom asks of their whereabouts?”

“Yes. I swear to give this information.”

“Do you swear to protect the lives of these three people under the consequences as severe as you own life?

“Yes. I swear to protect.”

Sirius raised his wand and cast the Fidelus Charm upon Pettigrew.



“Sirius I can’t let you keep him,” Hagrid’s gruff voice said, pulling Sirius out of his reverie.

Sirius was shocked. “Wh-what do you mean? I’m his godfather for the sake of Merlin!”

“Dumbledore said I had ter take ‘Arry to him.”

Sirius stared hard at Hagrid for a moment before looking back down at Harry. He was smiling up at him again. His expression softened and Sirius sat in the rocking chair next to Harry’s crib.

“Harry, I know you don’t understand me, and you’ll probably never remember this conversation. I want you to know that I will watch over you as best as I can until the day I die. That was a promise I made to your parents, and by God, I’m going to keep it.” He hugged the baby boy close to him and kissed his forehead before handing him to Hagrid. Sirius pulled the key to his motorbike out of his pocket handing it to Hagrid also. “You’ll need my bike more than I will, Hagrid. Take it.”

“Are ya sure?” Hagrid asked cautiously.

“Yeah. I’m going to send some of their things to my house before other people get here. Then I’ve got something else to do. Make sure you have Dumbledore find me...Harry should be in my guardianship now.”

Once Hagrid had left with Harry, Sirius packed pictures, books, jewelry, Lily’s Diary, James’s letters and much more into boxes. With a flick of his wand, he sent them to the attic of Grimmauld Place. All the while, he was replaying Pettigrew’s words in his mind.


“Do you swear to protect the lives of these three people under the consequences as severe as you own life?

“Yes. I swear to protect.”



Sirius went over to Lily’s body. He shut her eyes and kissed her forehead before whispering, “I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to raise Harry, Lils. I’m not sure, because I’m going to search for Peter. And I’m going to kill him. I have nothing else to lose. You three were my world. If Dumbledore has Harry now then I’ll probably never get him back. So I’m going to avenge you. Both of you. For Harry.”

He squeezed her cold hand and began to go slowly down the stairs one at a time. Knowing what would be waiting for him at the bottom. When he reached the platform he knelt down beside his best friend’s body and sobbed into his chest. “I let you down James...and I sure as hell won’t let you down again.”

With his last goodbyes said, Sirius picked himself up off the ground and walked to the sidewalk where he could apparate to Pettigrew’s house. As he left, he looked at all that was left of the Potter house. He had four words running through his head; the four words that would haunt him for the rest of his life. “I swear to protect.”