Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Change by novella07

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hey. Sorry it took so long to update. Tell me what you think. R/R.
Chapter Four: The Sorting Hat

The door swung open almost immediately, and Professor McGonagall stepped forward in black robes. She had a very stern face, even more stern than Lily had remembered.

“The firs’ years, Professor McGonagall,” the giant said. Lily studied the giant and decided that she liked him. He seemed almost gentle, even if he was really big.

“Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here,” McGonagall said without smiling. Her smiles seemed rare. She pulled the door open to show a huge entrance hall lit with flaming torches, a high ceiling, and a magnificent marble staircase that led to other floors.

McGonagall led them across the stone floor to the sound of hundreds of voices coming from a doorway to the right. The rest of the school was already in there. Professor McGonagall led them into a cramped room. They crowded together inside of the room and Lily, to her annoyance, found herself standing next to James Potter.

“Hey Lily Flower,” he and the other boy said at the same time.

“I told you not to call me that,” she hissed, looking away.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” McGonagall said, after glaring at James and Sirius who both smiled back at her. Lily had no idea how they managed not to cower in the wake of her glare as McGonagall continued. “The start-of-term banquet will begin soon, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your house. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because your house will be like your family while you’re here. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.”

Lily found herself hoping that James and Sirius wouldn’t be in her house. She couldn’t bear hearing ‘Lily Flower’ constantly.

“The four houses are called Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff and each of those houses has its own noble history along with outstanding witches and wizards. While you are here, your triumphs will lose house points and any rule breaking…” Lily noticed that James and Sirius grinned at that point. “…will lose you points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup.

“The Sorting Ceremony will begin in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all try to look the best you can,” her eyes lingered on James’ hair that stuck up everywhere to Peter’s cloak which wasn’t fastened correctly, “I will return when it is time. Please wait quietly.”

And McGonagall left. Lily glanced at her watch. She was starving. She hoped the Sorting Ceremony didn’t take long, and then she began to wonder how they sorted them into different houses. It was in front of the entire school. She hoped desperately that it wouldn’t be hard. She felt someone’s eyes on her and turned to see James watching her.

She glared at him and looked away just as about twenty ghosts streamed through the back wall. Lily jumped. Ghosts? She hadn’t even known that they actually existed. They were pearly white and slightly transparent. They glided across the room talking to each other and ignoring the first years. A ghost wearing a ruff and tights had suddenly noticed the first years.

“Welcome to Hogwarts. I am Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, the resident house ghost for Gryffindor.”

“Oh!” James Potter said. “You’re Nearly Headless Nick.”

“How can you be Nearly Headless?” Lily asked.

“I would prefer to be called Sir Nicholas…” But he didn’t get much further.

“Answer her question!” Rachel shouted, agreeing with Lily. The ghost looked a bit annoyed, but complied. He seized his left ear and pulled causing his whole head to swing off his neck and fall onto his shoulder as if it was on a hinge. Lily gasped. Looking pleased, Nearly Headless Nick flipped his head back onto his neck and floated through the opposite wall.

At that exact moment, McGonagall returned. “The Sorting Ceremony is ready to start. Now, form a line and follow me,” She turned and headed through the door. Lily got into line behind Rachel and found to her annoyance that James was directly behind her. He pulled on her red hair, and she turned and glared at him.

“Hey, Lily Flower,” he said, sending her an insufferable smile.

“Leave me alone,” Lily stated and turned as they walked out of the chamber, back across the hall, and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall.

Lily could never have imagined that such a place could have existed. It was lit by thousands and thousands of floating candles over four long tables where the rest of the students sat. At the top of the hall was another table where the teachers sat. McGonagall led the first years up the Great Hall so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. Lily suddenly felt the urge to run away, but she hid that and stood there yanking on her ‘Friends’ necklace. Lily glanced up at the ceiling and saw a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars. She grinned remembering that she had read about that in Hogwarts, A History. It was bewitched to look like the sky outside. Lily found it hard to believe that it didn’t just open to the heavens.

Lily looked down as Professor McGonagall set a four-legged stool in front of the first years and placed a dirty, patched hat on top of it. For a few seconds there was complete silence and then the hat broke into song. Lily’s nervousness caused her to miss most of the song, but she figured out what they were to do. They set it on their heads and it chose a house.

The whole school burst into applause at the end of the song as the hat bowed to each of the four tables and became still.

“When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted,” she said. “Black, Sirius,” The hall became silent as Sirius stepped forward and Lily heard some people murmur.

“Another Black?”

“He’ll be in Slytherin, of course.”

Lily found herself wondering where he would be put. The hat covered up almost his whole face as he listened to the voice in his head. “Another Black, eh? Hmm… All the other Black’s have been put in Slytherin. But you’re not a Slytherin, are you? Ahh…I know exactly where you belong… Gryffindor!” he shouted the last word to the entire hall. There was a moment of silence before everyone started clapping except for a select few in Slytherin, who looked confused. “Brendan, Jessica” was called up and became the first Hufflepuff. Lucy Caldwell then became a Ravenclaw and Jason Carter became the second Hufflepuff. Vincent Crabbe became the first Slytherin followed by Dale Edwards who became a Ravenclaw.

“Evans, Lily!”

“Go Lily Flower,” James hissed. Lily chose to ignore him, only because the entire school was watching her. “Lily Evans…hmm…I see courage…” Lily listened intently. She didn’t think of herself as courageous. “Don’t doubt yourself. You are the type who would lay her life down for someone she loved.” Lily wasn’t sure if that was true. “Don’t doubt yourself. Let’s see. You’re not a Slytherin or a Hufflepuff that much is obvious. Hmm…Difficult… Very Difficult. You’re smart and studious, but there’s more to you than a Ravenclaw… that leaves…Gryffindor!” Lily smiled to herself and set the hat back on the stool before taking her seat across from Sirius.

“Why, hello again Lily Flower,” Sirius grinned. She ignored him as Benjy Fenwick became a Hufflepuff followed by two Slytherins, Leah Franklin and Gregory Goyle. She waited, hoping that Rachel and Remus would be in Gryffindor. Ben Ians and Hilary Jean became Hufflepuff and then it was Remus’ turn.

“Remus Lupin…Hmm….Where to put you...A werewolf…Smart….Brave…Difficult…Very difficult…Gryffindor!” Lily was probably one of the ones who clapped the loudest as Remus sat down beside Sirius, and Matthew Markinson and Marlene McKinnon became Ravenclaws. Michael Mitchells became a Slytherin.

“Montgomery, Christina,” McGonagall called. No answer. “Montgomery, Christina.”

“Oh, that’s me. Sorry. Wasn’t paying attention,” A girl stepped forward, causing everyone to laugh. She grinned and waved at everyone as she tripped over the second step. She laughed to herself and took a seat. She was extremely pretty with dark brown hair, brown eyes, and a slim figure. “Gryffindor!” the hat shouted.

“Mooney, Rachel.”

Oh, please be a Gryffindor, Lily said, silently as Rachel placed the hat on her head. “Gryffindor!” the hat yelled. Lily clapped along with everyone else as Rachel sat down next to Remus. She would have sat by Lily, but Christina occupied that seat. Rickie Mullins became a Hufflepuff and then it was Emma Nagoya’s turn. A shy raven haired beauty with blue eyes stepped up and sat down. “Gryffindor!” the hat yelled, and Emma took a seat by Christina. Dale Parkinson then became a Slytherin and Lily recognized the fat boy that had trailed behind James and Sirius. “Pettigrew, Peter,” McGonagall called. “Gryffindor!” the hat yelled.

“Potter, James,” McGonagall called. Don’t be in Gryffindor, Lily said silently. Don’t be in Gryffindor. Don’t be in Gryffindor. “James Potter,” the hat said so that only the messy haired boy could hear.“ This isn’t too difficult. Gryffindor!” Lily groaned. Sirius grinned. And James sat down next to Peter. Edwina Rodgers became a Hufflepuff and her twin brother Ian became a Ravenclaw.

“Wouldn’t twins be in the same house?” Lily asked Remus who shook his head.

“Not always.”

“Snape, Severus.”

“Snivellus,” James said across the table to Sirius.

“Good one,” Sirius grinned. Lily immediately recognized the greasy haired boy who had called her a Mudblood on the train and decided she really didn’t like him.

“Would you leave him alone?” Lily hissed, surprising even herself. She thought that Snape was a jerk too, but that didn’t mean they should be cruel.

“Why?” James asked with a grin as Mia and Tia Spencer became Hufflepuffs and Phoebe Truns and Natalie Unrig became Slytherins. There were only two girls left. An Emmaline Vance who became a Ravenclaw and Amy Waters who became a Slytherin. “Earth to Evans?” he waved a hand in front of her face. Relieved to hear something other than Lily Flower, she turned to see him watching her.

“What?” she asked.

“You never answered my question. Why should I leave him alone?”

“Because it’s cruel, Potter,” Lily answered as the rest of the new Gryffindors watched the argument in amusement. Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet and was beaming at the students with his arm opened wide. Lily studied him interestedly. He looked like one of those fictional wizards you read about in books with his half-moon glasses, long crooked nose, and flowing silver hair, beard, and mustache. He looked wise, like someone you would follow to the end of the earth and back. Lily liked him immediately.

“Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Now is not the time for speech making. That can wait until after you eat as I am sure you are starving. So, do eat!” And then he sat down.

Lily looked away from Dumbledore and her mouth dropped. The dishes in front of them had become covered with all types of food that you could even imagine.

Nearly Headless Nick sat down next to Potter. “So-- New Gryffindors. I do hope you’ll help us win the house championship this year. The Gryffindors have won for the past six years. I love shoving it in the Bloody Baron’s face,” he said, “He’s the Slytherin ghost.” Lily looked over at the Slytherin table and saw a horrible ghost sitting there with blank staring eyes, a gaunt face, and robes stained with silver blood.

“How’d he get covered in blood?” Sirius asked.

“I’ve never asked,” the ghost said. “Goodness, all the first years say the same thing. Every year.”

The ghost moved to talk to the seventh years. When everyone had eaten as much as they could, the remains vanished, leaving the plates sparkling clean, and then the desserts appeared: Blocks of ice cream in every flavor, apple pies, treacle tarts, chocolate éclairs and jam doughnuts, trifle, strawberries, Jell-o, rode pudding…and the list went on and on. Lily helped herself to some strawberries as the conversation turned to the classes they were taking this year: Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Potions, History of Magic, and Herbology.

Lily was starting to feel warm and sleepy and couldn’t wait to find their dorm rooms. She looked up at the high table where the teachers sat as the desserts disappeared, and as Dumbledore got to his feet, the hall fell silent.

“Ahem”just a few start-of-term notices. First years should note that the forest on the grounds if forbidden to all students. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that,” He looked at certain Gryffindors as he said that. “I have also been asked by our new caretaker, Mr. Filch, that no magic be used between classes in the corridors. Finally, Quidditch trials will be held in the second term week. See Madam Hooch if you are interested in playing for the house teams. Now, off you trot!”

The Gryffindor first years stood up looking confused as two Gryffindor prefects raised their hands.

“First years over here!” a girl said. “I’m Jackie Marne and this is Kingsley Shacklebolt. We’re going to show you to the Gryffindor common room and your dorm rooms. Come with us please,” Jackie and Kingsley led them out of the Great Hall and up the marble staircase. Lily smiled when she noticed that the people in the portraits along the corridors whispered and pointed as they passed or when Kingsley led them through hidden doorways and hanging tapestries. They climbed more staircases, and Lily started wondering how long of a walk it was and how she would ever manage to find her way in this huge castle. Kingsley and Jackie stopped suddenly and a bundle of walking sticks threw themselves at Kingsley.

“Peeves,” Jackie told the first years. “A poltergeist.”

“Show yourself, Peeves,” Kingsley said, in an annoyed voice. A loud, rude sound answered. It reminded her of the air being let out of a balloon.

“We’ll go get the Bloody Baron!” Jackie yelled, and there was a loud pop and a little man with wicked, dark eyes and a wide mouth appeared, floating cross-legged in the air, holding the walking sticks.

“Ickle Firsties! What fun!” Peeves shouted.

“Go away or the Baron’ll hear about this!” Kingsley said, causing Peeves to stick out his tongue before he zoomed away.

“You want to be careful around Peeves,” Jackie suggested. “He only listens to the Bloody Barons and he’s a heck of a lot of trouble. Oh, here we are.”

They had reached an end of a corridor. Lily looked around for a door, but there was none. Instead, there was a portrait of a very fat woman in a pink silk dress.

“Password?” she said.

“Finite,” Kingsley said and the portrait swung forward revealing a round hole in the wall. They scrambled through it and found themselves in the Gryffindor common room. Lily looked around in awe at the red and gold furnishings. The room was cozy with squashy armchairs.

“This way, boys!” Kingsley shouted leading the boys to a spiral staircase on the left.

“Bye, Lily Flower!” James shouted causing Lily to roll her eyes. Jackie grinned.

“Don’t worry. They grow up eventually,” she said. “This way.”

She led them through a spiral staircase on the left. They went to the top of the staircase, and Lily realized that they were in one of the towers. Lily directed them into a room with the words First Years on it. Inside, there were four four-poster beds hung with deep red velvet curtains.

All four girls found that their trunks were already brought up. They found their trunks and chose a bed. Lily’s was next to Rachel’s with Christina and Emma across from them.

“What’s your name again?” Christina asked the two girls. “Well, I know, your name since the guys won’t stop calling you that name,” she said to Lily.

“Rachel Mooney,” Rachel supplied. “And you?”

“Christina Montgomery and this is Emma Nagoya,” Christina said. The four girls sat on the edge of their beds, pushing the curtains out of their faces, and found themselves talking a great part of the night away as young girls often do.

~*~*~

James and Sirius grinned when they saw the pretty redhead roll her eyes in annoyance at the nickname. They decided to call her that many times over the next seven years as Kingsley led them up to their room and they chose two of the four beds.

“Remus, right?” Sirius asked, pointing at Remus Lupin who nodded, “Nice to meet you.”

Peter had already kind of become their friend in the fact that he followed them everywhere, but they had yet to talk to the boy who had been with Lily and Rachel. It took a few minutes of peppering Remus with questions before Remus began to talk, and the four guys quickly became friends. Their friendship would be one that would last for ever, if it hadn’t been for the dreaded war that was only just beginning.

~*~*~

Lily found herself staring out the window of the Gryffindor Tower. Her eyes watching as two owls swooped off into the dark skies. She glanced at the lake, which rippled slightly but otherwise stayed still. She couldn’t wait for tomorrow. Even with those two annoying boys calling her “Lily Flower”, everything seemed to be going good. She had found a world which she truly belonged.