Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Safe Haven by NikkiSue

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Not a whole lot to say here, really... I would like to pledge my undying love and gratefulness to my fantabulous beta, Rita Writer. I would also like to thank my friends in the Slytherin CR for their support. All characters belong to the amazing JKR. I'm just taking them out to play for a while.
Chapter 11

Harry was the first to wake up the next day. He went to his favourite spot by the window in the study and sat next to the window gazing aimlessly out the window. Mrs. Weasley was owled by Harry when they arrived early that morning to notify her as to where they would be and what had transpired that night at Hermione’s. She responded quickly, noting that she was pleased with their decision to move and thanked him for the update, hinting that she may Floo in and cook them breakfast.


Harry was looking through the book Hogwarts, A History when the sound of the door opening caused him to jump. He quickly put the book down. Hermione laughed.


“Too late, I already saw it. I knew you’d break down and read it someday.”


Harry walked towards her smiling. “The joke is on you, Hermione. I’ve read it twice.”


Looking around, Hermione asked, “So how long are we staying?”


Hermione sat down across from Harry in an armchair. He looked at her, ignoring the last question. “Professor Dumbledore is working on the wards around the school and would rather we didn’t return until it is finished. Sometime next week, he was guessing.” Hermione’s eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.


“We’re returning to Hogwarts? When?”


Draco walked in barefoot, wearing pajama bottoms and a button down sleep shirt. Harry and Hermione looked up at him. Harry answered, “Next week, maybe sooner.”


Looking unimpressed at his surroundings, Malfoy asked, “So what does one do for excitement around here?” He looked down at the chair below him before sitting down slowly as if checking for imperfections.


Ron walked in sleepily. “So Harry, Malfoy “ fancy a game of Quidditch after breakfast?” He let out a rather loud yawn as he made himself comfortable in an armchair.


Draco’s did a double take in Ron’s direction as if he was trying to comprehend what he had heard. “Seriously?” Hermione smiled in response. He nodded slowly as he took everything in. “This may be a better week than I thought it would be!”


Harry laughed. “Well Malfoy, I must say that if you think Quidditch is a highlight of staying here, wait until you have some of Mrs. Weasley’s cooking. You’ll never want to leave!”






Harry was right. By the time they were done eating, Draco had a very satisfied look on his face. Mrs. Weasley marvelled silently to herself about how handsome the boy could be when he wasn’t busy terrorizing other people.

While the boys got showered and dressed after a large meal cooked by Mrs. Weasley, Hermione took her time in a wonderfully fragrant bubble bath. She found her lavender scented soap in her trunk and put on her headphones while listening to her CD player that she had brought from home. Dumbledore allowed her to enchant it to work in the wizarding world.


Hermione was in the middle of one of her favourite songs when she thought she heard a heavy knocking sound at the door. Slightly irritated, she removed her headphones so she could address the noise.


“Can’t a girl get 30 minutes of rest without being disrupted?” she called out in a cross-sounding tone to whoever was at the door. She pictured

Ron trying to ask some silly question. How dare he intrude upon her peace!


It opened a crack. The voice of Molly Weasley was heard.


“Sorry, Hermione, dear. I don’t mean to interrupt but Ginny is waiting for you in your room when you are finished with your bath. I was on my way up here and offered to pass along the message.”


Hermione cringed after hearing who it was.


Oops. Wrong Weasley. She took a quick breath, cursing at herself for acting so thoughtlessly.


“Oh, sorry Mrs. Weasley. Thank you. I’ll be out in ten minutes. I suppose I am beginning to resemble a prune anyways.”


She heard Ron’s mother giggle quietly as she closed the door behind her. She was pleased that Ginny had arrived. Well, at least I will have a female to talk to while we’re here.


She grabbed her towel after putting her music player on a nearby shelf and began to drain the water after stepping out of the tub. She dried off and got dressed fairly quickly, grabbing her favourite pair of jeans, a nice camisole and button-down shirt. Finally, without much trouble, she contorted her hair into a decent looking French twist. She took one more look at herself and when she was satisfied she walked out to meet her good friend.


Hermione approached her bedroom door and saw that it was already open.


“Hey Ginny! I miss… Ginny? Are you hiding?” Hermione looked around her room and found no sign of the fiery redhead. Sighing, she headed for the kitchen.


When she walked in, she was greeted by Mrs. Weasley making what looked to be a platter full of sandwiches, presumably for the members of the Order who were due to come by that day. Hermione looked at her.


“Mrs. Weasley? I thought you said Ginny was waiting for me in my room. I couldn’t find her anywhere.”


“Oh yes, sorry dear. The boys needed one more person for Quidditch and she volunteered to help them out. She has become quite good, you know.”


Hermione groaned. So much for company, she thought. She decided she would take a few books with her to the makeshift pitch and watch her friends for a bit. She thought she might as well be sociable.


Hermione found her friends trying to show off to each other moves they had seen the professionals do. Hermione waved at them as she approached and made herself comfortable on a large blanket. The game broke for lunch a while later and continued until dinner, and that was their routine for the next several days. Hermione got a nice tan while watching them play (not to mention the hours of reading she got done!), and the others got fresh air while playing a sport they loved.


The teens were having dinner after one of the games when the fireplace blazed an amazing green color. Out walked Albus Dumbledore wearing beautiful robes of burgundy and orange. He approached the table while everyone was eating, and they invited him to take a seat.


“I cannot stay long as we are getting ready for the upcoming school year, but I wanted to let you all know that you can return to Hogwarts as soon as you would like to. Your rooms are ready, although Mr. Malfoy, you are welcome to stay with Harry and Ron in the Gryffindor Tower until the others arrive so you aren’t by yourself in the dungeon.”


Draco nodded his appreciation and suddenly everyone got a little jittery. They began to look at each other in anticipation, but surprisingly enough, it was Ron who spoke up first.


“Well, I don’t know about you guys, but I am on my way upstairs to pack. I’m ready for a change of scenery.” He looked at the table and his friends began to stand up one by one and follow his lead upstairs.


Harry looked at a somewhat shocked looking Mrs. Weasley. He shrugged his shoulders and gave her a half smile.


“Sorry, but I don’t see the point in him going by himself, do you?” He left the room before she could answer.


Ginny was in Hermione’s room while watching her pack.


“It’s not fair that I have to stay behind with Mum while you guys have fun by yourselves. It’s like you’re going on an adventure.”


Hermione gave her a sympathetic smile and a quick hug. “We’re only doing this to keep Draco safe. I would love to have a normal summer with my family.” She stood back and Ginny saw the slightest hint of sadness in her friend’s eyes.


With that final thought, Hermione and Ginny brought her trunk into the study by the fireplace and joined the boys. There was a special Portkey set up to transport the students to the platform at nine and three-quarters. (That decision was made when they concluded that Hogsmeade would be too public of a place so soon after the attack on Hermione’s house.)


They each said their goodbyes and thanked everyone for taking them in. After the farewells were said, everyone placed a finger on a wooden spoon and the sensation of being pulled by their belly buttons took over. Everything around them began to spin, and the next thing they knew they were facing the Hogwarts Express.