Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Safe Haven by NikkiSue

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: In all fairness, I *tried* to update this a couple of weeks ago but it was rejected. I have fixed what they said needed to be fixed and, if all goes well, I will receive a conirmation e-mail instead of one of those that make poor desperate authors cry... Thanks to my beta Rita Writer for her insight and my readers for their patience.


Chapter 12


Hermione, Harry, Draco and Ron were sitting in their compartment on the Hogwarts Express on their way back to school. It was an odd feeling for the four of them to be sitting together. A year ago they would have been trading nasty glances back and forth to one another from several hundred feet away. That wasn’t the case this day. They were sitting close, whispering and laughing about the past that they had recently come to terms with.


Draco raised his finger in the air, trying to make a point. “May I just say, Granger, that you have quite the wicked right hand. I avoided you for a week after that day because of the bloody bruise you gave me. I was too sore to even insult you!”


Hermione blushed but shrugged nonchalantly. “Well, I’m sorry, but laughing at the prospect of Buckbeak being killed was insensitive and heartless. That was downright rude and you needed to be put in your place.”


“I admit that I was a prat, but could you at least try to see it from my point of view?” Draco scooted away from her, suddenly feeling himself move to the defensive. “That horsey-bird almost killed me when we were in class. You can’t blame me for being a little eager to see the deed done, right?” He looked to Ron and Harry for support.


Harry couldn’t help but add, “See, now… if you had only bowed before approaching him, he may have simply allowed you to pet him and he might have even taken you for a ride. But noooooooo, you had to be your old pompous self and strut on up to him.” Harry ducked as Draco threw a licorice wand at him.


Harry, Hermione and Draco looked over and noticed that Ron was being unusually quiet in the corner. Hermione put her hand on his thigh in concern. “What’s wrong, Ron? You look almost sad.”


Ron sheepishly looked around and while looking down at the floor of the compartment and said, “I just got to thinking, that’s all.”


Draco raised one eyebrow and said, “Uh, oh. Stand clear everyone.”


Ron shook his head and focused his attention on the Slytherin next to him. “No. It’s just… well, look at us! We’re laughing together about events which, until not too long ago, we were still quite passionate about! I never cared to try looking at life from your point of view and I don’t envy your situation at all, Malfoy. On top of all of that - I mean seriously - you guys,” he said, pointing to Hermione and Harry, “had to keep him a secret because you were afraid of what I would do to him! What kind of person does that make me?”


Hermione patted his back as Harry tried to reassure him. “It’s okay, mate. After the last five years we have spent together in school, it’s a natural assumption for someone in our position to make!” He motioned to the witch next to him and explained, “Believe me, Hermione and I were not easily convinced about Draco changing his ways. Let’s face it - he has always been a royal pain.”


Malfoy was sitting across from Harry, nodding in agreement.


Harry continued. “Dumbledore had to reiterate many times how the good outweighed the bad. I think, in retrospect, we would have been more willing to take in Snape than Malfoy at first.”


Draco snickered upon hearing this. “I know… I didn’t make anything easy for you guys. I was being so stupid. But take a look at who I spent my time with “ Crabbe and Goyle? I had to stay entertained somehow! With them, it was like talking to a brick wall. Seeing the four of us today, I realize now how different it would have been if I had come from a different background or, at least, if my father was not an issue.”


Stopping, Malfoy pretended to stroke his chin. Raising an eyebrow, he continued. “There would have only been one problem that I could foresee.”


The witch across from him looked confused. “A problem? Where?”


He winked at her and said, “You wouldn’t catch me dead in the Gryffindor robes. I much prefer the Slytherin green.”


They all groaned and started throwing Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans at him.


Draco held his hands up in a defensive stance, “Hey! It was getting too mushy for my taste.”





After exiting the train, they met up with Hagrid, who would be escorting them back to the castle.


“Harry, how are ye doin’?” He walked over to the young wizard and clapped him on the back in an affectionate greeting. He almost knocked him down due to his large size and the force of his friendly gesture. “It’s nice ta see the three of ye back ‘ere!”


Ron stepped up to the half giant to shake his hand. “Actually, Hagrid… we’ve sort of become a quartet. Just don’t tell him I said that.” Ron motioned towards Draco. “He’ll think we are going soft.” He motioned in the direction of Malfoy who was walking towards them.


Hagrid looked at the blonde and back to Ron and Harry. Hermione affirmed everything after seeing Hagrid become tense.


“Its okay, Hagrid. He’s changed his ways.”


She glanced over her shoulder towards Draco who had approached her.



Hagrid looked between each of them and they all confirmed what Hermione had said. “I s’pose everyone deserves a second chance. Dumbledore seems ta think so, anyways. Well, welcome back to Hogwarts, Malfoy.” He extended his oversized hand out for him to shake. “If Hermione of all people can call you her friend, I can most certainly give you the benefit of the doubt.”


Draco took it and gave a tentative smile. “Thank you, er, uh… Professor.” He took the giant’s hand and shook it. “I do have a question, though.” He leaned in close to the giant but did not see the others do the same so they could listen in.


“Do the house elves work during the summer or will we be doing our own cooking and cleaning? ” OW! Hermione, what the hell was that for?”


Ron and Harry were trying hard not to laugh, as they knew to fear the wrath of Hermione when it comes to the defence of the house elves.





After a fulfilling dinner of roasted turkey with all the fixings, various desserts and many glasses of pumpkin juice, the four of them made their way to the Gryffindor common room. Draco stopped shy of the door.


“I’ll see you guys later.”


Hermione crossed her arms in front of her. “Oh please, Malfoy, just come in with us! It’s not like Filch is going to give you detention or anything. We’re the only people in the castle. Dumbledore said you could stay with us if you wanted to, remember?”


He gave her a look of appreciation but shook his head, looking past her down the hallway.


“I actually think it might be good for me to spend some time in my own common room. I can work out some of these inner demons.” Draco sounded as if he were trying to convince himself he would be okay. “It’s only me there, anyways. The castle is protected and I know about the passage ways around it. I’ll be fine.”


Harry shook his hand. “Well then, I suppose this is goodnight. We’ll see you for breakfast, right?”


The Slytherin gave a half smile. “As Weasley would say, I am always up for food. I’ll see you lot in the morning.” With that he walked down the corridor towards his common room.


The trio walked through the Fat Lady’s portrait (the password was Merlin’s Beard) and as the boys headed for the fireplace to warm up, Hermione went upstairs to organize her things.


Ron and Harry were gazing into the flames, both boys seeming to have something on their minds. Ron spoke up.


“Harry, I need to talk to you about something.”


Looking confused, Harry nodded and said, “Go on, what is it?”


Running his hands through his hair and glancing in the direction of the stairway to the dorms, Ron began to unload his thoughts upon his best friend. He went on for what seemed to him to be a lifetime, but was in reality only a few minutes.


Harry was smiling by the time he was finished. “So you’ve felt this way for how long now?”


Glancing in the direction of the staircase, Ron mumbled, “Since fourth year.”


Harry adjusted himself so he was facing Ron. He wanted to make sure he had his attention because he could tell that Ron was a nervous wreck deep inside.


“Ron, I really think you need to do something about this but I can’t tell you what or how. If you don’t, it will eat you up inside. That, and you will probably drive me crazy in the process.”


At that moment, Hermione made her way back down the stairs and as she did, Harry smirked at his distressed friend. They watched as she crossed the room now wearing a pair of track pants and a long sleeve T-shirt.


Hermione curled up on the couch intending to start on some books she had purchased earlier in the summer. Ron saw her open her bag and reach for the first book and dove to grab the book from her reach.


“There is absolutely NO way you are going to waste away our first night here at school on homework!”


He stood there for a minute, thinking about how crazy that statement sounded. Harry tried to contain a wide smile by coughing.


She slowly got up from the couch and took a step back. “But, I’m not doing homework, Ron. I’m only reading a new…”


Ron interrupted her explanation, “Seriously, though. There are so many more things we could be doing to have fun here, Hermione!”


Harry and Hermione both answered him at the same time.


“Like what- and at this hour, no less?”


“Let’s go for a walk,” Ron suggested with a shrug. “We could all do with some fresh air. We can go to the lake and watch for Merpeople or something. I need to get outside! We’ve been cooped up indoors since this whole thing started, and right now we have Hogwarts to ourselves.”


Harry saw his opportunity and yawned. “You two go. Have some fun and just don’t get caught by Filch. You can even take my invisibility cloak.”


He walked upstairs to retrieve it knowing full well that there was no one there to “catch” them.


Ron gave Hermione the most pathetic looking pout that he could muster. She looked over at him.


Merlin, he’s adorable, she thought.


“C’mon Hermione. We haven’t gotten to spend hardly any time together since I arrived. Just one night and then I promise you can read all the books you want until the others get here.”


He was now on his knees in front of her, begging with his hands clasped in front of him. She couldn’t take it anymore and let out a groan.


“Fine, Ronald. Just let me take my books to my room and find a warm jumper to wear.”


Harry ran into Hermione minutes later as they were both returning to the common room. He gently grabbed her arm and pulled her aside.


“Hey, be careful out there, okay?”


She looked at him with a look of disbelief. “Uh, sure, Harry. I’ll make sure Ron doesn’t hex some poor squirrel or rabbit.”


He let go of her arm quickly. “You’re right. I’m being silly. Have fun with Ron and be sure to keep him in line.” He gave her a brief hug.


They entered the common room and Ron jumped, not expecting them back so quickly. “You change your mind, Harry?”


“No. You two have fun and be safe. I’ll see you guys later.”