Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Safe Haven by NikkiSue

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: *Is trying to update quicker*
Muchas Gracias to my tried and true beta, Rita Writer. (and happy belated 16th my dear!) This isn't the longest or most thought provoking chapter but it was fun regardless. I may edit the latter conversation between Draco/Hr/Ron but I just don't have the means to reword it at the moment. I apologize if the scene is awkward because of it.
Chapter 14

Malfoy was sitting in the Slytherin common room, wallowing in the peace and quiet of the late summer evening. The tranquillity of his surroundings made him think a lot. He had a lot on his mind since arriving in the company of the Golden Trio. So much had changed in such a short time frame.

Draco decided to take a walk to clear his head and try to sort through some issues. First and foremost on his mind were Lucius and the Dark Lord.

Over time, he began holding a conversation with himself out loud but did not seem to care. He needed to sort his thoughts.

“I am in this thing deeper than I thought possible, and now I have put my three new friends in more danger than they were before. Is that even possible? It’s like I approached my father and said, ‘Hey, by the way, I’ve been hanging out with a Muggle-born and the so-called Boy-Who-Lived! I just thought I would give you another reason to want them dead. Have a great day!’”

He leaned against the nearest wall and sighed, raising his hands up in defeat. “That’s just perfect, Draco… Gain their trust and serve them sunny side up to Lord Voldemort.”

He closed his mouth quickly. He was shocked how easily the name rolled off his tongue. He used to not feel worthy to speak it but this time he spat it out as if it were a poison.

While continuing to walk briskly down random corridors, Draco turned a corner and ran head-long into Harry. His busy friend was apparently not watching where he was going either because when the two of them collided, they each fell down in opposite directions. They saw one another and rolled their eyes in unison.

Harry looked over at Draco. “Deep in thought, I see?”

Raising his eyebrows up in mock shock, he replied, “Speak for yourself. I think I’m going to rechristen you ‘The-Boy-Who-Walks-With-His-Eyes-Closed.’”

Harry added, “-And-lived.”

He looked around and continued. “So do you make a habit out of roaming empty corridors at night or are we just starting a trend?”

Ignoring his comment, Draco spoke, “I needed some air- and I suppose the dungeon is not exactly accommodating in that respect. ‘Cold and desolate’ isn’t the same as a fresh breeze coming off of the lake.”

Remembering his friends who were spending quality time in that very spot, he attempted to reroute Malfoy. Waving his hand in the direction of the staircase near them, Harry responded, “Might I suggest a relaxing walk to the Astronomy Tower?”

Malfoy looked around as if he thought he was being followed, “Why? What or WHO are you hiding?” Draco raised his eyebrows. “Where is Ron, anyway? And… oh… tell me he didn’t.” Draco shook his head in his hands as if he already knew the answer to his very vague question.

Harry was confused. “Um, if you would be a bit more specific, I may be able to help.”

“He took Hermione to the lake, didn’t he?”

Harry took a step back, “You’re quite the observant one, aren’t you?”

“Get it right, Potter. The Slytherin are cunning. Everything we do and say has a purpose.”

Harry put up his hands in defeat. “So what has got your mind so clouded that you were forced into running into defenceless- cursed wizards?”

Malfoy shook his head in disagreement. “Oh, please. You are many things, but defenceless you are not. And not that it’s any of your business, but I was just realizing how much danger you all are since my position was made known to Lucius. I was walking around looking for answers, if you must know.”

“Join the club, Malfoy.” Harry gave him a stern look and Draco realized what he had just said and who it was directed at.

“Sorry, Harry. I keep forgetting you’ve had it a bit rough the past several years. You may be useful here. Go on, then.”

Harry looked at Draco for a second, and then seemed to brush the last comment off seeing as ‘a bit rough’ sounded like a day in the park compared to what he had been through. “One secret I find that works well is trying to keep as busy as I can. I’ve got the DA, Quidditch, and lessons with Snape outside of class.”

Malfoy raised a finger in the air as if he was beginning to understand what was being said. “Ah, Remedial Potions, right?”

Harry looked around and then back at Draco. “Not exactly. He’s been teaching me Occlumency.”

Draco nodded, not looking surprised at what had been revealed to him. “I wondered if you would ever go into that. My father made sure to teach me at a young age.”

Harry’s eyes lit up and Draco nodded his head, “I know what you are thinking by the look you are giving me, Potter. Yes, I’ll help you.”

Breathing a sigh of relief after hearing the answer to the question he hadn’t had the nerve to ask, he breathed out, “You’re a lifesaver.”

Malfoy shuddered and said, “Ugh, please don’t use that word. I am under enough pressure as it is.” He stopped at the window next to him and looked down.

“Well, well, well “ what, or should I say who do we have here?” Draco raised his eyebrows in curiosity and gave a slight cringe. “You might want to cover your virgin eyes there, Potter.”

Harry looked out the window towards the lake. He smiled. “It’s about time.” He followed the figures as they walked below. “Hey, they’re walking back to the castle. I’m going to head back to bed before they get to the common room.”

Draco nodded, “Fine, but tomorrow morning we take the Mickey out of them, agreed?”

Harry laughed, “Oh, most definitely. G’night.”

Malfoy turned towards the opposite direction. “See you in the morning.”




The morning after their arrival found a lighter atmosphere at Hogwarts. At least that was the case for its four student occupants.

Draco found himself wide awake as the sun peeked over the horizon. He enjoyed a hot shower, revelling in the fact that none of his fellow Slytherins were there to rush him. Once clean, he grabbed a pair of loose fitting blue jeans and a long sleeved black shirt, thankful that he allowed Hermione take him shopping while he stayed with her. These were so much more comfortable than what he usually wore! As soon as he was dressed, he crept to the Gryffindor common room using the password given to him by the headmaster. He walked in and made himself comfortable on a corner chair and waited for the others to wake up. He wouldn’t miss this for the world!

As if on cue, Harry tiptoed downstairs to the common room. He was almost to the couch when he heard someone clear their throat. He smiled and without even looking, said, “You just couldn’t resist, could you Malfoy?”

Grinning, he replied back. “I refuse to let either of them live that down. Care to join me in a game of wizard chess while we wait?”

They gathered the pieces on the board and took their turns. Approximately thirty minutes into their game, they heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Both boys looked towards the sound and found Ron yawning and rubbing his eyes.

Harry spoke up first. “Long night?”

Ron nodded. “I couldn’t sleep. Too much on my mind.”

Seeing this as the perfect opportunity to catch Ron off guard, Malfoy said, “So, can I be in your wedding?”

It worked.

The red-haired wizard jumped and spun in the direction of the voice. “Malfoy, what are you on about?”

Adjusting himself in the armchair he was in, Draco continued. “Well, honestly, Weasley, after a snog session like that I thought for sure that Ginny was gaining a sister-in-law!”

Harry couldn’t resist and piped in. “So, did you ever come up for air or did you just wait until the first person passed out and then stop?”

Ron’s face fell. “How did you know I kissed her? Did you follow me?”

“You know, Weasley, there are many windows in this castle that overlook the lake. You’d be surprised at the view from some of them”, said Draco.

Ron turned a few more shades of crimson. “You spied on me?”

Harry held his hands up. “No Ron, we didn’t spy on you. Malfoy and I ran into each other in the halls and we just so happened to look out the window in time to see you guys.”

Draco stood and added, “Yeah, thanks for ruining my night. I’m still queasy. My nightmares were filled with little bushy haired red-headed kids running around me.”

More footsteps were heard, announcing Hermione’s arrival. She stopped at the foot of the stairs and tried to turn around to head back to the girl’s dorms when she saw Ron standing between Draco and Harry looking very flushed and flustered. As she crept back upstairs, she heard a voice.

“Hold it right there, Granger. Where do you think you’re going?”

She turned around slowly. “I, uh, forgot to brush my teeth! Wait - did you just call me ‘Granger’, Harry?”

Draco beckoned her to the common room by crooking his finger, motioning for her to keep heading in their direction. “You can brush your teeth in a bit, witch. I doubt Ron would hesitate to kiss you even if your mouth was covered in spiders at this point in time.”

Harry interjected holding his finger up, “No, not spiders. Try something else. Troll bogeys perhaps?”

Ron wasn’t sure if he should be grateful for what his friend had said or if he should hex him for embarrassing him in front of his girlfriend.

Wow, he thought to himself. I really have a girlfriend!

Draco stood there with his arms crossed in front of him. “Yes, and her name is Hermione.”

Harry started to laugh. He had just watched Draco penetrate Ron’s thoughts and knew that no one else knew of the ability that he had.

Ron concentrated on the wizard in front of him, never taking his eyes off of him as he did so. Draco nodded. “Yes, I did, Weasley. Mind your thoughts.”

Hermione’s jaw dropped. “Oh, please show me how to do that!”

“I wish it was that easy, sometimes. Now, if we are done here, I for one am starving. Anyone care to join me in the Great Hall?”

Harry walked towards the portrait hall with the Slytherin. They looked back as they held the door open and saw Hermione and Ron looking back and forth between the hall and each other.

Draco rolled his eyes. “Look, just remember that we might want to use that couch later on, so please be mindful of how you spend your time in here.”

Ron glared over at them and clenched his fists, “Haha, laugh it up. You’re just jealous.”

Harry shrugged. “Jealous? Why should I be jealous? She’s your problem now, Ron. Good luck, mate. Just remember that the food won’t be waiting forever for you two so if you are going to snog, make it quick. We have plenty of time to spend on our own before the others arrive.”

The portrait closed and after a few minutes of silent kisses shared between the two, Hermione led her boyfriend to the Great Hall for breakfast. Besides, his stomach had been growling since the night before!