Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Safe Haven by NikkiSue

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This took me a bit longer due to technical difficulties but here it is, Chapter 2! Thank you muchly to Rita, the beta of everyone's dreams for shaking me til I got it right. (kidding.) The next chapter is already written, I just need to submit the bugger. I hope this one is enjoyable enough to hold you over until then. I should add this story is *not* HBP compliant.
Chapter Two – Doing Their Duty



As they walked into the dining room, Hermione and Harry found Professor Dumbledore waiting for them. They were expecting a large group and almost seemed disappointed at the lack of people attending this "important meeting".



A man with gray, long hair and a purple robe greeted them.



"Harry, Hermione, so wonderful to see you both again!" Looking at the pair of students, he gestured towards the table where a set of goblets waited. "Pumpkin juice?"



Hermione shook his hand but was not easily distracted. "Professor, what is going on here? Where is Ron?"



The headmaster reached for his cup and chuckled at their fierce devotion for their friend. "Mr. Weasley is enjoying a well deserved summer break at the Burrow, as this is not his concern. You will see him at a later time."



The two teenagers glanced at each other. Their nervousness was beginning to show.



Albus Dumbledore straightened his half moon spectacles. "Dark times are here, and we are enlisting your help if you agree to the terms that we are about to discuss."



They both straightened at the seriousness of his tone.



Harry leaned in. "I'll do anything, you know that sir."



Hermione added, "Professor, all you need to do is ask."



Dumbledore took a sip from the goblet in front of him and proceeded to explain everything.



"As you are both aware, Professor Snape works undercover for the Order appearing to be a loyal servant of Lord Voldemort. He has put his life on the line on a daily basis to get us valuable information so we can continue to have an upper hand in the inevitable war we are facing. It has been during this time that a second ally has come forth."



Hermione looked up. "And who would that be, sir?"



Dumbledore looked down at her with a twinkle in his eyes. She knew that look all too well; he had something up his sleeves.



"That would be our young Mr. Malfoy."



The two friends looked at their trusted headmaster with their mouths wide open in shock. They exchanged nervous glances and suddenly did not like where this conversation was headed.



Harry seemed to ask the question on both of their minds.



"With all due respect, sir… Is this some sort of a joke? Surely you're not serious!"



Hermione gave a slight shrug and added, "Professor, I have to agree with Harry on this one. Malfoy hasn't shown a single sign of decency his entire stay at Hogwarts. What has he done to convince you otherwise?"



Dumbledore let out a small sigh. He knew this would happen; they had a past that could not be ignored. He tried to continue in his efforts to soothe their nerves.



"I am unable to share that information at this time; however this is where the favor comes in."



Harry mumbled, "I'm almost afraid to ask."



The headmaster continued.



"We have a safe 'hiding place', if you will, for Professor Snape which he is able to arrive at by use of a special portkey. I am asking for your help to hide Mr. Malfoy if the need arises."



Hermione almost choked.



"Excuse me, sir? You want us to help hide Malfoy? Certainly there must be someone else more qualified!"



Nodding in her direction, he continued, "I understand your apprehension, Miss Granger, but look at it this way: Where is the last place that Voldemort would expect one of his people to be hiding?"



Beginning to understand where Professor Dumbledore was going with this particular line of thought, Harry nodded. "With is sworn enemy." Then, with a sudden need for clarification, he added, "I see where you are coming from, sir, but wouldn't Malfoy turn against us the second we were alone with him?"



Dumbledore lowered his goblet, suddenly looking serious.



"You're going to have to trust me, Harry. Draco Malfoy has had quite the rude awakening recently. He knows he was wrong."



Harry spoke up again. "Then why hasn't he told this to us himself? Why are we hearing this second hand? If he has changed as you are claiming he did, wouldn't he try a little bit of damage control, so to speak?"



Hermione looked at her friend and quirked a half-smile.



"That would be because we never would have believed him, let alone the fact that he probably would have been hexed to oblivion. Especially with Ronald's temper!"



"Ah, this brings me to the subject of your missing partner in crime ," Dumbledore said. "Can you now see why he was not included right away?"



Hermione smiled and thought to herself, You have quite the keen eye, professor. It almost scares me to wonder what you know about the students at Hogwarts.



She looked up. "Do you really think we can pull this off, sir?"



"Hermione," The headmaster seemed to be choosing his words carefully. "I believe the expression goes something like, 'It is so insane it might just be totally brilliant.' "



Harry laughed. "You made that up."



"Yes, I did. It makes my point, though. Any other concerns? Yes, Harry?"



"Where do you propose we hide him? I mean, not here, right? He would hear the Order's secrets!"



Hermione looked at the two of them as they spoke. She turned her attention to her mentor as he continued.



"I was actually thinking of somewhere a bit simpler – Miss Granger's home."



Harry suddenly stood up, all manners out the window.



"Absolutely NOT! I refuse to allow that slimy git anywhere near Hermione without magic. She's still under aged, you know."



Hermione put her hand on his shoulder. "I appreciate your concern, Harry , but I can take care of myself when it comes to our favorite ferret."



Dumbledore raised his hand up in defeat.



"You can both relax. I would never put Hermione into this situation without magic being allowed. By all means, if you need to, please defend yourself! Please also know that I am not sending you into something like this alone, dear."



Hermione's eyes lit up and looked at her best friend. "Harry! That's right; Tonks said that Harry was returning with me. I forgot all about it!"



She breathed a loud sigh of relief.



The elder wizard smiled as he looked at the witch and wizard in front of him. He wouldn't regret this decision.



"So is it agreed? If – and it may never even happen — but if Draco Malfoy shows up at your house, you will put aside all differences and help him. Is this understood?"



"Yes, sir," they both answered solemnly.



Satisfied with their answer, he continued.



"Well, if there are no more questions or concerns, I think you may make it back in time for a lovely dinner. Hermione's mother is a delectable cook, Harry."



"Yes, sir. That sounds wonderful."



"Alright, well, each of you go ahead and grab one of my arms now and…"



Hermione's heart skipped a beat. She never thought she would be apparating twice in an evening. Wait until she told Ginny!



Feeling the need to explain, the headmaster smiled. "I have to speak to your parents so they understand what is happening. We don't want to have a reoccurrence of this afternoon, do we?"



His eyes were twinkling again.



Hermione took his arm as Harry looked at her with his eyebrow cocked.



Harry smiled, shaking his head. This was going to be a fun summer.