Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Safe Haven by NikkiSue

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm chuck out of creative author's notes at the moment... Thank you to my furiously quick beta, Rita Writer for getting this back to me. I remain in awe.Also, there will be some OOC scenes from here on out. Please remember the AU warning. Feel free to review as well as PM me on the beta boards with any questions as well.
Recap of Ch 3: Draco Malfoy arrives on Hermione's doorstep after escaping certain doom. He is taken in by Hermione and Harry. Draco awakens to see his new surroundings as well as the two people he least expected to find taking care of him. Their questions are about to be answered by Dumbledore here in Ch. 4.



Chapter 4 “ A Bit Awkward

When he was able to make eye contact with the professor, Draco had some questions.

“Sir, I have to question your choice of hosts. Why not just send me to stay with Professor Snape?”

The twinkle in Dumbledore’s eyes returned. Draco waited patiently for an answer.

“Ahh, Mr. Malfoy. Though I understand your apprehension in staying with your fellow classmates, you should consider this: Would Voldemort ever suspect you to get help from a Muggle-born such as Miss Granger?”

Draco looked thoughtful for a minute and seemed to ponder the question.

“Point taken “ but Sir, these two will probably curse me in my sleep!”

The headmaster smiled slightly, shaking his head. “Doubtful! Harry, how long was Mr. Malfoy unconscious?”

Harry looked at the Muggle watch he was wearing. “We found him around five forty-five this evening on the porch, Sir.”

Beaming, Dumbledore looked at Draco. “It’s almost ten minutes after seven and you are still alive!”

Draco gave a reproachful look to them. He did not expect Hermione to say what she was about to say.

“Sir “ can we do something about his wounds? They look infected.”

Draco glanced down at his arms but did not move his head too quickly in that direction because of the pain shooting through his neck. He assumed it was because of how abruptly he landed using the Portkey.

Those better not leave permanent marks, thought Draco. Potter’s scar is bad enough, and I don’t even have to look at it on a daily basis. I would rather not have that in common with him.

Dumbledore muttered an incantation and proceeded to hold his wand over Draco’s wounds. Most of them began to glow a blue color. A few areas showed a more orange color.

“Well, lucky for young Draco, most of these are not going to cause any long-term damage. I will, of course, send Poppy over here at once to take care of the damage caused by any curses.”

At the mention of that, Fawkes suddenly disappeared in a puff of smoke.

A few minutes later, Madam Pomfrey appeared and hurried over to Malfoy, muttering something about “kids these days.” She did what she could in the way of medical care and gave Draco a dreamless sleeping potion to get him through the night, which took effect quite rapidly.




As the headmaster walked the two teenagers out of the bedroom, they looked at him with anxiety in their eyes.

“Would it ease your fears if I left an Auror behind? I’m simply trying not to raise suspicion.” Dumbledore clasped his hands in front of him as he waited.

Harry asked him, “Do you believe we are safe, Professor?”

“Are referring to keeping him here with you?” Dumbledore asked. “Yes. I have no doubt that Draco Malfoy is a good but slightly misguided and misunderstood person.”

Hermione shuffled her feet; Harry stood up straight.

“Okay, Sir. That’s good enough for me.”




Draco awoke with a headache the size of Hogwarts. He had to lie in bed briefly before remembering where he was.

Granger.

Potter.

Why?

He rolled over, intending to try relaxing on his stomach, but on the way around, he saw a vial with a note. He blinked several times to get the sleep out of his eyes so he could view the words on the slip or parchment more clearly.

Malfoy “

Madam Pomfrey said you would wake up with a bit of a headache. This potion should help.

Hermione


Draco groaned. “A bit of a headache my arse…”

He flinched as he held the vial of purple liquid to his lips.

“Here goes nothing.”

Down it went.

It had a pleasant, sweet aftertaste once the initial shock wore off, as it tasted quite strong at first. He found that his headache had rapidly subsided and suddenly the sweet lingering smells from the potion gave way to new smells.… Breakfast?

He knew that smell anywhere. Eggs, bacon… Oh, he was starving! They would never share, though. They had hated him since first year at school. Should he go to the kitchen and risk being cursed to oblivion?

Before he could answer his own question, there was a light knock on the door.

Draco looked up, not sure who to expect on the other side. “Uh, come in?”

The door opened to reveal Hermione carrying a tray full of food. Draco’s eyes got huge.

Hermione cleared her throat, “I didn’t know how you were feeling or what you liked to eat so I brought I little bit of everything.” She glanced down onto the tray in the direction of the glass filled with an orange liquid. “Oh, and that’s orange juice, not pumpkin juice.”

Draco looked suspiciously at the plates in front of him and smelled the juice. It seemed to be harmless. Who knew Granger could cook.

She was full of surprises, as he was about to find out.

Looking at the nightstand next to his bed, she noticed the vial had been drained of the potion she had left him earlier. “I hope my headache reliever worked alright for you. I have only done those a few times for Professor Snape.”

Draco’s eyes grew huge. “You made that?”

“You’re welcome, Malfoy.”

“Uh, thanks, Granger. Now let me see how much of the food I can choke down!” He gave her a nervous smile and shrugged.

Unfortunately, Hermione took his remark literally and in a huff she stormed out of the room. He felt slightly guilty as he had not meant to say anything hurtful to the Gryffindor. Draco attempted to get up from his spot on the bed but found he was unable to due to pain in his back from the night before.

“Wait! Hermione?”

He gasped slightly at how easily the name was used by him. He began to think for a minute.

It’s quite pretty. Unusual, yes, but pretty. Much nicer than something like ‘Pansy’ He shuddered and quickly shut his former Slytherin friend out of his mind.




Harry sighed while walking towards Draco’s bedroom. Hermione had just come running to him in tears telling him about Malfoy’s “rude and insensitive” comment. Harry gave her the benefit of the doubt and allowed her to vent until she was worn out. When she was done, he took a deep breath and calmly but lovingly told her he thought she was overreacting.

Hermione once again stormed out of the room leaving Harry eating breakfast alone. Harry laughed as he entered Malfoy’s room.

Draco looked up at his guest.

“What’s so funny, Potter?” He noticed a visible grin on Harry’s face as well as the tray of food he was trying not to spill. “I have enough food by the way, thanks.”

Harry looked down at his own tray he was holding.

“This food is mine and I am laughing at the irony. Here I am bringing my breakfast in to join my childhood enemy and I’m about to discuss my best friend with him, no less.”

Draco laughed slightly. “Yeah, okay. That was funny. Have a seat.

Draco proceeded to conjure a chair with a slight wave of his hand. Harry’s jaw hit the floor in shock. “Malfoy, how long have you been able to use wandless magic?”

Smirking, he answered, “Professor Snape began teaching me when the Chamber of Secrets was opened. It was a good thing he started as early as he did, because I have only, in the last six months, really gotten the hang of it. I’m not supposed to flaunt that particular talent to just anyone.”

Harry shifted uncomfortably in his chair, not sure if he should speak his mind. He decided to swallow his pride and just go for it.

“So, you really have changed. If you have been able to leave without using a wand and you’re still here… wow. I guess I should also express appreciation for the fact that Hermione and I lived to see today while in a house with one who has made no secret of the hatred for us in the past.”

Draco cut him off.

“I don’t hate you guys, Potter. I used to, yes. My head has been fed nothing but hatred since I was young enough to understand. When my dad… did the unspeakable… my mom was the only person who ever showed any semblance of affection. Now she’s gone.”

He blinked hard once or twice before continuing, diverting his focus to a small window. Should I press further? Why was Malfoy talking about his mum in the past tense?

Swallowing loudly, Draco stated, “I do not want to be that person which Lucius has become.”

Harry interrupted. His curiosity had won over all thoughts of tact. “Is that why the headmaster took you in?”

Draco nodded. “After Mother… died… Dumbledore asked to speak with me. He asked how I was doing and if I had anything troubling me. After a bit of a breakdown on my part, I told him everything. I gave names and told secrets that, had Lucius found out, he would have finished me off without a care.”

Harry nodded. “So where does Professor Snape come into all of this? Did he know what had been happening to you?”

Draco took a bite of egg and washed it down with the remainder of his orange juice.

“After my confession, Dumbledore told me that there was a mole of sorts at Hogwarts who was helping the Order posing as a Death Eater. He told me what the person was responsible for and whatnot. He asked if I would like to be taken in to the safety of the Order on the Phoenix and that Father would never know. He offered me everything: Portkeys, Aurors, but I decided to raise the stakes and offered to be another spy for them.”

Harry suddenly looked at him with a knowing smile.

“So, how many times did he refuse the offer before giving in?”

Draco smirked. “It took me another two hours to break him, so to speak.”

He had a look of satisfaction radiating from him as he remembered the conversation he had with the old man. Dumbledore did not like to place his students in danger, but Draco was persistent.

Harry had one more question for him, “So what brought you to your safe house, Malfoy?”

Draco ran his hands through his greasy, unkempt hair.

“My dear Aunt Bellatrix.”