Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

What Could Have Been by Lucia_Swanne

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hey guys! I’m so grateful that you all reviewed positively or with positive criticism because that’s what I really enjoy reading. I’ve never had anyone say my work is good before so this is a great feeling! Thank you all. I don’t like this chapter as much as I’d hoped I would but you get that. I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as the last one. Enjoy!
Ron had come back soon after and left the note pinned to Cammie’s door. It had spoke of how he had not told anyone where he was going, nor when he was coming back. It also spoke of how Hermione had not expected him ever to return, and it informed of how he would come back to see her, when he had planned leave from his life for a while. A few days later, he received a letter from Cammie stating that she had not told Hermione of his visit, and that whenever he was prepared to return, she would make sure Hermione was ready. She also told him that they visited the park every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday from eight o’clock until three o’clock, without fail.

Ron told Mad Eye Moody, who was his superior in the Auror’s office, that he needed a week off from work. He informed his parents, Harry, and Ginny that he was leaving for a few days; though refused to tell them where. That night, Ron packed his things, and headed for Hermione's house.

Late that Saturday morning, Ron walked along the deserted London street quickly. As he turned the corner and continued on, he saw the park coming steadily into view. He could see young children playing, their parents sitting and watching them under the shelter of a large gazebo. There was a vast lake in the centre of the park, surrounded by plants and benches. The large crowd of parents eyed him cautiously as he entered the park through the great iron gates on either side of the pathway.

He scanned the group of parents for Hermione, but he could not see her. He could not see anyone that looked like Hermione. He walked over to a nearby tree and leant against it, still looking for Hermione.

Then he heard her endearing laugh, as warm and alluring as a fire on Christmas day. He turned to see Hermione sitting on a bench by the lake, but it wasn’t the Hermione he had known. Her brown hair was now shoulder length, and the bushiness had now become radiant, yet messy curls. Although she was sitting, Ron could tell she had become very tall since their last meeting.

He noticed she was sitting with Cammie, the two talking happily. He also noticed that, at their feet were two large carrier bags sitting on top of a few things he did not recognise, maybe muggle things? Who takes that much stuff to the park? he wondered. He settled on the fact that Cammie had brought her children with her, and the two were looking after them for the day.

He was about to walk over and greet the woman he hadn’t laid eyes on in nine years when six young children ran over to Cammie and Hermione. Instantly, Ron froze and watched the scene in front of him.

He stared as Hermione and Cammie gave the six children food and drinks, and then turned back to their conversation, as the children sat at the lakes edge eating. He saw Hermione glance at her watch and look around the park. He hid himself from view as her eyes glided over the tree. Did she know he was coming today?

As he emerged from behind the tree, he noticed a handsome man carrying a baby not even past the age of one walk over to Cammie and Hermione. As Hermione gave one of the other children a small piece of fruit, the man passed the baby to Cammie. She quickly hugged him, as did Hermione, before he sat down on Hermione’s other side. They talked for a few minutes, before the man left the park again. Ron could only just hear the conversation between Hermione and Cammie.

“I’ll take him,” said Hermione, as she took the baby from Cammie’s arms. “Mike just told me that he spent the morning trying to keep this little guy from vomiting up his food. I wish he’d just eat like the other kids.”

Ron gathered from this that Hermione was very close to Cammie’s children, as she rocked the little boy gently back and forth in her arms, as if he was her own child.

Then there was a scream from the side of the lake, and he noticed the child to whom Hermione had given an extra piece of fruit, was on the ground, crying.

“Okay, here we go,” breathed Hermione, as she handed the baby back to Cammie, and walked over to the crying child. “What happened, sweetie?”

“Paul pushed me over,” sobbed the little girl. She had black curly hair and deep blue eyes. Ron guessed that the father of the little girl had black hair, as Cammie’s was blonde.

“Did he really? Well, I’m sure Paul’s mummy will want to hear about this. Come over here with me, and we’ll put a band-aid on it and make it all better,” said Hermione, as she carried the little girl over to the bench and sat her on her lap while grabbing the closest carry bag. She pulled out a bright pink band-aid and put it onto the girl’s leg, which was grazed from falling. “Now it’s all better!” exclaimed Hermione, setting the girl down on the ground.

“Thank you,” said the girl, before she ran back over to the other kids and continued playing.

“Paul pushed Jaime over,” said Hermione, as she put the carry bag back underneath the seat and turned to Cammie.

“Right, I’ll go and get him,” said Cammie, who handed the baby back to Hermione and walked over to the kids. She bent down with great difficulty, considering her pregnancy, and talked quietly to one of the boys. She then led him back over to the seat and sat him down next to her. “You have to stay here until you’ve learnt your lesson.”

“Yes mum,” said the boy, miserably. He had short blonde hair, like Cammie’s.

“I just thought, I need to start planning for Addy’s birthday,” said Hermione breathlessly, as she looked over a girl playing with Jaime who had bright red, curly hair and deep blue eyes. “Can you believe she’s turning eight? They grow up so fast!”

“’Mione, you leave all the planning to me, alright; I’ll make sure Adrianna has the best birthday ever. Besides, you have way too much on your plate as it is,” said Cammie.

“Hey, I’m handling everything fine Cam’. I just finished the article on broomstick lengths last night, and I don’t have another one for a few weeks. That gives me time to look after the kids,” said Hermione matter-of-factly, as she smoothed her knee-length skirt.

She hasn’t changed all that much thought Ron, as he smiled at the scene before him. It seemed that Hermione was still over-working herself, and still very caring. Then something hit him. She had just said she finished an article on broomstick lengths in front of Cammie. She must be a witch too, decided Ron. But it’s a bit risky talking about it in the open. After all, they were standing in a muggle park. Oh no, now I’m sounding like her!

“Hermione, listen to me, I’m looking after all of the kids and you’re...stop shaking your head like that...I’m looking after them all while you get some rest. God knows you need it,” said Cammie. “I think looking after children every day and writing your articles every week is slowly pushing you over the edge. Don’t look at me like that ‘Mione, you know I’m right. Even the doctor said you need rest and relaxation.”

“The doctor doesn’t know what responsibilities I have! To the kids, to my job! To everything I’ve worked so hard for! I’m not letting one person wreck everything!” exclaimed Hermione stubbornly.

“This is what I mean by stressing yourself out. You’re overreacting; you need to put all of this into proportion. You know what's happening to you, and you can’t just ignore it. You have a good job, and they’re offering you time off to help you out a bit. Those kids over there love you to bits, and we’re all part of the same family, if you think about it. They’re either at my house or yours, always together. You know that if they’re at my house, they’re well looked after and safe, and that means you get a break. Now I’m insisting that you go home now and have a rest!” said Cammie, as she took the sleeping baby from Hermione’s arms and ushered her up.

“Cammie, I don’t need rest. I need to be here, to look after the kids,” responded Hermione. After a glare from Cammie, she bowed her head in submission. “Alright, I’ll go home. But you have to promise me that you’ll have the kids back by dinner.”

“Oh no, they’re staying at my house tonight. You are going to have an early night and get some sleep. I really think you need it,” said Cammie.

“Oh alright, I’ll just go and say goodbye to them,” said Hermione as she walked over to the kids by the lake. “Hey guys, guess where you’re going tonight? You’re all staying at Cammie’s for tonight while I get some work done, alright. Bye, I love you,” Hermione kissed each child on the head, stood, and walked slowly out of the park, glancing back at Cammie and the kids every few steps.

Ron felt like he could move again. He moved slowly over to Cammie, who was now watching the kids play by the lake while rocking the baby boy in her arms.

“Oh, Ron!” said Cammie as he sat down next to her. “You just missed Hermione. I sent her home to get some rest and-”

“Yeah I know. I heard you,” said Ron. “I’m going to go and talk to her.”

“Good luck!” called Cammie, as Ron stood up and left the park.

He quickly walked after Hermione, hoping to catch her before she got to her house. But, sure enough, when he arrived at the front of her house, Hermione had already got inside. He anxiously walked up to the door and knocked. He heard footsteps and mumbling as Hermione walked back to the door. She opened the door and froze.

“Ron!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Well, there’s the second chapter, and they finally see each other after such a long time!

I got my inspiration for this chapter and its title from a song by one of my favourite bands, The Rasmus. The song is called “In the Shadows” (what a shocker!); here are the lyrics that gave me the idea for this chapter.

I've been watching, I've been waiting
In the shadows for my time
I've been searching, I've been living
For tomorrows all my life


I hope you all liked it. Please R&R! I might be a little slower on the third chapter because schools giving me more and more assignments and I just know I’m going to have some sort of thing that will distract me from my writing all the time, but hang in there! Love, Lucia_Swanne.