Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Open Doors Closed by MidnightJewel by MidnightJewel

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is my first fanfic ever, and I’d really appreciate it if you left some reviews to tell me what you think. Thank you and I hope you enjoy the story.

Disclaimer: J.K Rowling is the creator and owner of the ingenious Harry Potter universe and everything within it.

Hermione woke up from another restless night of sleep. It was the same dream that caused her to be deprived of sleep each and every single night ever since the final war. The inevitable war had taken place three months ago, and Harry Potter had indeed succeeded in defeating Lord Voldemort for the last time. Although the wizarding world was now free from its fear of the Dark Lord, it was not a very joyful time. Thousands of lives had been lost including quite a few who were very close to Hermione. Both her mother and father had been murdered before the war had officially started. Ron and Ginny Weasley died in combat during the final moments of the war. Many other classmates and close friends died. The last three months after the light side’s victory had consisted of continuous funerals. Hermione had not known that it was possible for her to be able to grieve so much. Tears flowed from her eyes every single day as she thought about the people she and so many others had lost. Everyone had thought that the world would be a happier place after the Dark Lord’s fall. For Hermione, the world could not be a sadder and lonelier place.

Today, Hermione would be boarding the Hogwarts Express after an entire year. Everyone had taken a year off from school last year because of the war. Since the war was now over, a few students had decided to go back to school to finish their education. Hermione was going back to school so that she could finish her seventh year and get her N.E.W.T.s which she needed in order to become an Unspeakable at the Ministry of Magic.

Hermione started to get dressed in her own room at Grimmauld Place. Since neither of them had a family, she now lived there permanently with Harry. The Weasleys had offered their home to both Harry and Hermione, but they both refused, deciding that it would be too hard to reside in a house where both Ron and Ginny used to live. However, the Weasleys had helped Harry and Hermione turn Grimmauld Place into a charming home. The troll leg umbrella holder, Mrs. Black’s portrait, and anything else that had even a hint of darkness in it were disposed of.

Once Hermione finished dressing and made sure she had packed everything she needed for the following year, she headed downstairs to the kitchen. She started making breakfast for both Harry and herself.

“Morning, Hermione,” Harry said as he walked into the kitchen and took a seat.

“All ready, Harry?”

“Yup, everything packed and checked twice.” Hermione smiled at Harry’s reply; he knew her so well.

“Well, good then. Now eat up; we have to leave in twenty minutes.”

Once Harry and Hermione Apparated onto Platform 9 ¾, they quickly boarded the train and looked for empty carriages. They finally came across one that only had Neville and Luna in it. After a few minutes of dull conversation, Hermione made her way to the prefect carriage. She had been inevitably appointed the position of Head Girl. She did not know who Head Boy was, however, but she had a good idea who it could be.

Hermione opened the sliding door to the special compartment and saw none other than Draco Malfoy seated on the uncharacteristically plush looking couch. She was not surprised.

“Ah, Granger as Head Girl…sure wasn’t expecting that,” he said sarcastically.

“Same goes for you, Malfoy,” she replied.

Hermione took her seat opposite Draco on a red velvet armchair. The compartment was enlarged to at least five times its normal size and was furnished impeccably. She looked at Draco for a moment. He had not changed much from the last time she’d seen him. He was wearing a black button front shirt with a pair of black slacks. His hair hung loosely around his head and fell softly over his eyes, which were their usual gray in colour. The only physical difference in Draco Malfoy was that his face was not bleeding from various hexes as it was the last time Hermione Granger had seen him. Draco had in fact become a spy for the Order and had fought against Voldemort and the Death Eaters in the final battle. No one knew what had become of Draco after the war.

“No, Granger, I’m not a ghost,” Draco said after he noticed Hermione intently staring at him.

Hermione laughed lightly. “It’s just that no one knew what became of you. I’m just glad to see you’re alive and well.” Hermione didn’t feel the need to be hostile against Draco since he was no longer on the Dark side and because he had been a huge benefit to the Order.

Draco seemed slightly surprised by Hermione’s good natured answer. “Careful, you sound like you almost care.” He smiled slightly.

Hermione just looked back at Draco and didn’t reply. There was nothing more to say. Even though Draco did not have the same aversion to Muggle-borns that he did in the past, conversation was still not the most natural thing between the two of them. Hermione decided to take out her Arithmancy textbook and reread one of the chapters.
Draco took this opportunity to carefully inspect her. Hermione Granger had definitely grown into her looks. The days of her unruly, bushy hair were gone, only to be replaced by beautiful chocolate colored waves. Once the hair fell into place, it was easy to see that she really did have a pretty face. Her eyes were soulful and her lips were pouty. Hermione’s body had developed to that of a slim young woman. Draco thought her plain white t-shirt and boring blue jeans didn’t do her beauty justice. But then again, who was he to tell Hermione Granger of all people how she should dress?

Hermione noticed Draco looking her up and down and decided to say, “You could just ask whatever you’re curious about instead of just staring, Malfoy.”

Draco snapped out of his trance and looked at Hermione. “You’ve changed,” he said with a smirk.

“What exactly are you implying by that?”

“Physically, Granger. Do I have to spell it out for you?” replied Draco.

“And I actually half thought that you had changed.” Hermione spoke these words with a calm disbelief in her voice. She then got out of the chair and went to sit on the couch which was all the way at the other end of the compartment so that she would not have to endure Draco Malfoy anymore.

The rest of the trip to Hogwarts was relatively dull. After they called the prefects’ meeting, Hermione kept reading her textbook and Draco just sat on his couch and stared at the contents of his open trunk. Hermione did not know what he kept staring at, but surely enough, that’s all he did throughout the entire journey. Hermione and Draco changed into their robes in the attached bathrooms that came with the compartment and got off the train when they reached Hogwarts. Hermione was glad that she wouldn’t have to endure Draco’s uncomfortable company any longer. She hurriedly went off in search of her friends, leaving Draco behind. Unfortunately, it turned out that Harry and the others had already left, so Hermione was forced to share a carriage ride to the castle with Draco. After a few moments of awkward silence, Hermione decided to break it.

“Malfoy?”

“Yes?”

“Why did you come back here?”

“Why do you care?” Draco rudely answered Hermione’s question with a question.

Hermione could not wait for the thestrals to stop.

They finally arrived at the entrance hall, and Hermione quickly joined Harry and the others at the Gryffindor table.

“How bad was it?” Harry asked with a hint of laughter.

“Dobby will never be Winky,” was Hermione’s odd answer. Harry gave her a quizzical look.

“Apart from the Mudblood thing, he hasn’t changed a bit. Well, he didn’t insult me every second chance he got, but he’s still far from pleasant,” Hermione explained.

Just as Hermione finished her sentence, the Sorting Hat had sorted the unusually large number of students into the various houses. Professor McGonagall stood up from her seat and gave the annual beginning-of-term speech. Once she finished and the food appeared on the table, all that could be seen in the spacious Great Hall was hundreds of students stuffing their faces with delicious food. Once the feast was over, everyone headed to their dorms and the Head Boy and Girl were taken to their special dorm.

Professor McGonagall showed Draco and Hermione over to their own private quarters in a part of the school Hermione had never been in. The entrance to their dorm was a portrait of the Hogwarts crest and their password was ‘tout la monde’. Professor McGonagall showed them their colossal common room. It was a beautiful room with a fireplace against one wall that had portraits of all the former head boys and girls. The room was painted neutral beige with gold and silver trims in order to symbolize Slytherin and Gryffindor. There were several green and red velvet armchairs along with a green velvet couch that faced a red one right in front of the fireplace. An intricately designed coffee table was between the two couches. To the other side of the common room was a set of stairs. On each side of the stairs were two doors, one each for the Head Boy and Girl. Their rooms were connected to an attached bathroom.

Just as Professor McGonagall was about to leave, she pointed to the classic dining table that was at the corner of the common room. She explained that all they would have to do in order to get food in their rooms is speak into the table and ask for whatever they wanted. The food would appear right in front of them. It was the same concept that had been used for the Yule Ball. Upon hearing this, Hermione protested.

“Professor, why should house-elves have to wait on us day and night when Malfoy and I are perfectly capable of making our own food?” Draco shot Hermione a glare as she said this.

“Miss Granger, this is just one of the many privileges that you and Mr. Malfoy now have because of your positions. However, if you would prefer, I could transform the table into an entire kitchen where you would be able to cook your own food,” Professor McGonagall said.

Draco finally decided to have his say. “I don’t mean to interrupt, Professor, but I believe I have a right to this room as much as Miss Granger does. Having said that, I would like for the table to remain as it is.”

“Very well, I’ll leave it to you two to decide what happens with the table. But before I leave, let me tell you that there are many hidden characteristics in this room that you are encouraged to explore.” Finished, Professor McGonagall turned to leave.

Hermione walked into her room as soon as McGonagall left. She could not believe her eyes. The walls were painted a light pink with a golden trim. Against one wall, there was a magnificent king sized four poster bed in the centre of the room. On both sides of the bed were two floor length windows that lead to a beautiful balcony. On the wall, there was a large dresser and chest of drawers. To Hermione’s great surprise, she even had a walk in closet (she thought only Muggles cared for such features). The other wall was lined with built-in shelves and had a gigantic desk in the centre.

After taking a few moments to marvel at the beauty of her new bedroom, Hermione finally noticed a door beside one of the windows. She was pretty sure it was the bathroom. She opened the door, walked in, and was met with the sight of Draco Malfoy sitting in their pool sized tub, taking a bubble bath. Hermione immediately started to flush, but Draco seemed completely unfazed. All he said was, “It’s called knocking, Granger.”

“S-s-sorry,” Hermione stammered as she quickly shut the door. She was so embarrassed. Hermione didn’t dwell on it for too long though because she was too exhausted from the day’s events. She decided to undress; putting on a black tank top and black boy shorts, and lazily fell into her amazing bed. That night, for the first time in three months, Hermione Granger slept for an entire 8 hours without even a hint of a nightmare.