Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Open Doors Closed by MidnightJewel by MidnightJewel

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Please leave a review.
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.




Spells were flying in every direction around Hermione. The starless night sky created a stark contrast against the vibrant lights the spells would cast. Harsh voices were screaming for as far as Hermione’s ears could hear and curses were being thrown at Hermione herself. If she ceased to concentrate for even a second, it could cost her her life. She was desperately trying to block the curse that was being sent at her while she ran deeper and deeper into the forbidden forest. She kept tripping over the roots of several trees, but every time she fell, she was determined to get back up and keep dueling. He was catching up to her and this only made Hermione run faster. My life depends on it, Hermione thought to herself. Suddenly, Hermione’s knees collided with a boulder and she fell crashing to the ground. Her wand went flying in the air and landed 5 feet away from her. She was sure she had broken her leg from the impact of the crash. She was terrified at had just happened and what was going to happen. Is this the end? she asked herself. Right then, she heard footsteps nearing towards. Her heart jumped into her throat and without thinking she stood up on her feet.

“AHHHHH HHHHHHH!” she screamed in agony as she attempted to walk on her broken leg. She fell face down on the ground and right then, she knew that he was standing right behind her. She slowly turned around to confront her worst fear only to be confirmed that she was right. He stood there menacingly, his height towering over her quivering body. His sinister face twisted into a cruel smile once.

“Crucio!” he cried as he pointed his wand in Hermione’s direction.

Hermione woke up with a start. It had been the first time she had had a nightmare since she started attending Hogwarts again. Hermione lay in her bed for a few minutes. She tried to go back to sleep again but when she realized she couldn’t, she decided to go downstairs to the common room. Once she got there, she noticed Malfoy staring into the blazing fireplace while leaning on the mantle. Hermione decided to ignore him and went to sit at the dining table.

“Hot cocoa,” she said to the table.

“Bloody hell!” Malfoy yelled. He had literally jumped in his spot when he had heard Hermione speak. He had not seen Hermione enter the room, so he got startled when he heard her speak.

“I didn’t mean to startle you.” With that, Hermione took her cup of hot cocoa and started to walk back to her room without another word.

Malfoy wanted to ask Hermione to stay, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. He just didn’t have the courage to be nice again. He kept battling with himself whether he should say something or not until he heard Hermione’s door shut. It looked like Malfoy was alone to bask in his misery.

It had been a week since the apology incident, and she had done her best to have the least amount of contact with Malfoy as possible. She was intent on not being the one to initiate conversation with him ever since she had been candid with him that day. Hermione didn’t want to put up with Malfoy’s unexplained mood swings so she decided that not talking to him at all was the best alternative.

She sat down in her winged armchair and picked up her Herbology text book. They had been given an assignment which was due two weeks from now; Hermione decided she would start on it early. However, the more Hermione tried to read the book, the more she couldn’t concentrate. Her mind was just too weak after her nightmare. Hermione hated her nightmares and wondered how long she would have to live with this torture. It was the same dream over and over again. She would always relive the night of the war, which was also the most unpleasant, depressing, and morbid night of her life.

Hermione decided to give sleep another try. She got into bed and closed her eyes. As she tried to fall asleep, Hermione began to wonder what Malfoy had been doing up so late. Now that she thought about it, he had looked depressed. But then again, Hermione thought, who am I to judge how Malfoy feels? She hardly knew him and for all she knew, no one knew him. Hermione may have really disliked him, but she knew that Malfoy was exceptional at hiding his feelings. As Hermione’s thoughts stayed on Malfoy, she slowly drifted off to sleep.


“Morning, Hermione,” Harry said as he took his seat at the Gryffindor table.

“Morning, Harry,” Hermione said without looking up. She was making a list of all the books she would have to sign out from the library that evening for the Herbology project.

Harry looked over to see what Hermione was writing. “Seriously Hermione, we still have two weeks until that assignment’s due. Ever consider taking a break for once?”

“Of course I have. I’ll take a break after I finish this.” Hermione finally looked up and smiled at Harry. He would never understand that Hermione just didn’t feel free until she knew she had finished all the homework she could have possibly done. She felt rather guilty if she left something, even if there was two weeks left to complete it.

“What do we have first today?”

“Potions. Finish up your breakfast; we only have 15 minutes until class starts,” Hermione said as she started packing her quill and list into her book bag.

Once Harry finished his breakfast, they headed to the dungeons. Once everyone else filed into the classroom, Professor Merrybone came in. She flicked her wand at the chalkboard and words started to write themselves.

“Today I will be assigning you a new project. This assignment is a very important part of your N.E.W.T. Potions class and it will be affecting your marks, so it is in your own best interest to pay attention. You will be given a specific type of poison. Your job is to identify the potion and the ingredients used to brew it. Also, you will have to determine the effects it will have on a human being, a toad, a rat, and a cat. Finally, you will have to create the antidote to the potion and submit it to me on the due date. You will have exactly three months to work on this assignment and it is to be done on your own time. No, you may not choose who you will be doing this assignment with as I have already chosen for you.”

The class groaned in unison upon hearing their teacher say this. “You may use this class as an organization period to set up times for when you will be meeting with your partner to work on the assignment and what not. You and your partner’s names are written beside each other on the board. Please move to a seat beside your partner. Thank you.”

After Professor Merrybone finished her explanation, the class reluctantly did as they were told and sat beside their assigned partners. Hermione hoped against hope that her partner would not be the Head Boy, but once she looked up at the board her nightmare was confirmed.

“I’m sorry, Hermione,” said Harry, putting his hand on her shoulder as he knew who Hermione’s partner would be as well.

“It’s quite all right, Harry. Besides, it’s hardly your fault.” She gave him a weak smile.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I didn’t fair much better either.” He pointed to the board where his name was printed beside Blaise Zabini. “What is it with teachers constantly pairing Gryffindors with Slytherins? We won’t get along; why can’t they just give us a break and pair us with Hufflepuffs?”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Hermione replied.

“Mr. Potter, would you mind going to your seat, please?” Professor Merrybone said as the walked over to where Harry was seated.

Harry gave Hermione a gloomy look and reluctantly walked over to Zabini’s desk. Hermione looked around the class for her own partner who was no where to be seen. Hermione wondered where Malfoy could be, and if it had anything to do with what he had been doing last night.

After a half hour of partners collaborating with each other, Hermione decided she had had enough. She got up to go ask Professor Merrybone if she could leave the class and go to the library so she could do some of her own research, since Malfoy was nowhere to be seen. Right that moment, Draco Malfoy burst in through the dungeon doors. Everyone turned to look at Malfoy, who looked completely disheveled. His hair was a mess and his tie was askew. He also looked exhausted, but nevertheless, he strode over to the Professor’s desk with every ounce of his usual grace.

“I’m terribly sorry for being late, Professor. I must have overslept this morning,” Malfoy said as composedly as it is possible to do when one has no breath left from running to class.

“Don’t apologize to me, Mr. Malfoy. It’s Miss Granger’s time that you have wasted with your late arrival. I suggest you direct your apology to her,” Professor Merrybone said.

There was an awkward pause before Malfoy said, “I am sorry, Granger.”

“Miss Granger, if you could explain the assignment to Mr. Malfoy?” asked Professor Merrybone upon hearing Malfoy apologize to Hermione.

“Of course, Professor,” Hermione replied.

Malfoy looked around the class and didn’t know what was going on. Potter was sitting at his desk and the entire class was mixed up. He looked at the board and saw the names. Then he realized that he was supposed to go sit beside Granger. Hermione started to explain the assignment to him without once looking up at him. Malfoy was getting irritated with Hermione’s constant effort to distance herself from him.

“…once we figure out what the effects of the poison are on a human being, rat, cat, and toad, we have to find the antidote that””

“Honestly, Granger, don’t you know it’s rude to look elsewhere when you’re talking to someone?” Malfoy interrupted Hermione.

“The same could be said for you, Malfoy. Don’t you know it’s rude to just snap at someone when they’re trying to be nice?” Hermione glared at him.

“It’s not my fault that you were acting like we’re best friends! I say sorry to you once and you act like I’m the nicest person in the world!” Malfoy retorted.

“You couldn’t be further from being the nicest person in the world! When someone’s nice to you, you don’t even give them the courtesy of being civil towards them!” Hermione was getting very worked up.

“Maybe because they don’t deserve my civility!” Malfoy yelled. At this point, the entire class had stopped what they were doing and were watching Hermione and Malfoy’s row. Harry could not believe that he was watching Hermione yell in the middle of class. Professor Merrybone had gone to her office to get some more supplies.

“If you’re not going to be nice then why bother apologizing in the first place?!” Hermione shouted.

“Because I actually felt bad for once, all right?! I know I shouldn’t have said that about Weasley, and I know I shouldn’t have snapped at you.” The last sentence came out of Malfoy’s mouth considerably more quietly than the others.

The room was completely silent. Every single student was staring at Hermione and Malfoy. Their faces were both red and they were standing face to face. Hermione and Malfoy stood rooted to their spots. The bell rang a second later, and everyone except for Harry, Malfoy and Hermione slowly started leaving the classroom for their next class. Professor Merrybone walked into the classroom only moments later.

“Granger, Malfoy, Potter? What are you three still doing in here? You’re going to be late for your next class if you don’t hurry up.”

“Sorry, Professor, I was just about to leave.” Hermione was the first one to move and she hurriedly began to stuff her textbook and parchment into her cauldron. She stormed out of the classroom and bolted towards the greenhouses. Malfoy watched her as she left the classroom. Harry gave Malfoy a searching look before he left the classroom to follow Hermione.

Once Harry and Hermione had reached Greenhouse Four and had been given their assignments for the day, Harry decided to ask Hermione what the whole argument with Malfoy had been about.

“Hermione, what happened with you and Malfoy back in potions?” Harry asked concernedly.

“Oh, Harry, you know Malfoy. He’s such a worthless, arrogant, selfish, confusing, git!” Hermione stabbed the maggots that were in her flowering pot every time she paused.

“What did he do to you, Hermione? I swear, if he did anything to hurt you, I”” Harry began but was cut off by Hermione.

“You will do nothing of the sort, Harry James Potter. Besides, he didn’t do anything in the first place.”

“Come on, this is Malfoy we’re talking about. I don’t care if he joined Dumbledore’s side in the end. He’s always up to no good, Hermione, and from the looks of it, he must have done something in order to get you to yell in the middle of class for everyone to see,” Harry explained.

“That was more his loss anyways. He’s the one who’s known for his grace, and constantly composed nature. Not me,” Hermione said with slight happiness. It was a rare sight to see Malfoy lose his cool. This meant that she had actually gotten to him.

“Why are you smiling?” Harry asked confusedly.

“Just that I can actually get a rise out of Malfoy.”

“He does the same for you, Hermione. You both just lost it today. Now will you please tell me what you two were talking about?” Harry pleaded as he buried a bright green colored slimy creature with inch long fangs in the pot.

Hermione told Harry that Malfoy had apologized to her and how they had had a few candid moments until Malfoy decided to become himself again.

“But Hermione, that means that…that…Malfoy actually has feelings!” Harry could hardly believe what he was saying.

Hermione gave a dry laugh. “I’d rather him be a stone than have feelings like that. I mean, honestly, what is the point of apologizing to me, then being rude, and then confessing that he actually did feel bad for doing that? Seriously? He makes no sense, Harry. Now that I think about it, I’m starting to pity him actually. He’s such a confused, spoiled brat.” Hermione poked some twigs into her pot on top of the buried green creatures and started to hammer the twigs into the pot using a spell.

“I don’t think he even deserves your pity, but he most certainly is a brat,” replied Harry as he copied what Hermione was doing.

After Herbology ended, Hermione headed over to the Ancient Runes classroom as Harry went to the Gryffindor common room during his spare period. Hermione wasn’t looking forward to her next class at all because she knew Malfoy would be there. She thought about what he had said on her way to the classroom. He had admitted that he actually apologized to her because he felt bad and that he also felt bad for being rude to her afterwards. Hermione didn’t know what to think because Malfoy was impossible to analyze.

Hermione took her usual seat in the empty classroom. She took out her textbook, quills, ink and parchment and neatly prepared her desk for the class. She heard footsteps coming into the class and thought it was the professor. She looked up to greet the professor only to see Draco Malfoy walking determinedly towards her. Hermione quickly looked down at her desk and began to write the date on a piece of parchment.

“Granger, may I speak with you for a moment?” Malfoy asked rather politely.

“Well, if you plan on creating yet another scene later on the in the class, then yes, please proceed before anybody else comes in,” Hermione said, making sure she looked into Malfoy’s eyes as she said this.

Malfoy looked away. It felt odd to have someone look at him directly in the eye. “I want to apologize,” he said very quietly.

“You’re getting used to this whole apologizing thing, aren’t you? You’ve already done it three times today,” Hermione smugly replied.

“Well, if you’re going to be sarcastic, then I shouldn’t even bother.” Malfoy made to walk away.

“I wasn’t being sarcastic, just merely stating the truth. I think arguing makes you forget your definitions.” Malfoy spun around to give Hermione a piercing look.

“So tell me, Granger. Do you always try to take advantage of other people’s vulnerability?” Malfoy asked cunningly.

“That sounds more like what I would say to you, Malfoy. I’m just giving you a taste of your own medicine, that’s all. Do you understand how it feels now, Draco Malfoy? You try to be nice to someone and all they can do is throw it in your face. It’s not a very pleasant feeling is it? Well, I put up with six years of it from you, Malfoy. Six years. A few apologies are not going to change anything.” Hermione was now standing in front of her desk, about two feet away from Malfoy.

“I have clearly misjudged you. I thought you were capable of recognizing one person from another, but I guess that ability only applies for textbooks,” Malfoy said as he seethed.

“What are you trying to imply by that?” Hermione did not like the fact that Malfoy had just insulted her again.

“I have changed, Granger. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else.” And with that, Malfoy took his place at his usual seat in the back of the class. Hermione stared at him as he took his seat. He sat down and looked right back at her. Hermione slowly turned around only to see that everyone else in the entire classroom was already seated in front of her. For the second time that day, Hermione felt all eyes on her once again. She quickly took her seat and pretended to take notes. She could not believe she had not noticed everyone else coming into the room. The class had been dead silent when she and Malfoy had been talking.

She really needed to put an end to this. She was Head Girl, after all; she had to have a certain amount of composure at least. She couldn’t let people keep catching her in situations like these. But then again, what kind of situations are these? Hermione thought to herself. They had just been talking this time. All right, so it was a more intense version of a regular conversation, but it was still only a conversation. So then why did she feel like people had intruded on something…private?