Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Forgotten Adventure by Naomi Evans

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry’s heart thumped so loudly that he was sure that Bellatrix could hear it. He crouched over Ginny protectively, holding his breath as her footsteps came louder and louder. Ginnys face was pallor and her eyes wide watching Harry. He could only look at her knowing that saying anything comforting to her would give them away. Instead he determinedly watched her, hoping that she could see he was confident that they would make it. Ginny’s body trembled slightly and Harry could feel it since he was so close to her. He slowly released the breath he was holding and then he slowly in took air as quietly as he could. The footsteps stopped and it sounded as though Bellatrix was on the other side of the boulder.

“Sonorous” Bellatrix’s voice cut through the silence.

Harry shuddered as he looked up to see the back of Bellatrix’s dark purple robes and her thick dark hair. He tried to further push himself and Ginny into the wall and out of her view. Ginny looked like she was a bit frightened, but at the same time there was a determination that radiated from her as though she would never allow herself to give up. Harry weakly smiled at her, but he couldn’t console her, his mind was too worried about the insane, bloodthirsty woman who stood a few feet away from them. He wanted to fight Bellatrix, but with only one wand between the two of him, Harry wasn’t sure that he would win. If Bella knew they were there, it would be enough of an advantage over them. Harry wasn’t willing to risk Ginny’s life and for the moment they seemed safe, if she didn’t see them.

“You won’t make it out of this maze alive, unless you return that girl!” Bellatrix’s nasty voice echoed loudly in the cave as she called out. “It will only be a matter of time and my little Pogrebin will find you again. The creature will kill you both the next time it finds you.”

There was a pause as though Bella expected them to come out and surrender. Harry again held his breath. He could feel Ginny doing the same. As the pause grew longer, his curiosity nagged at him, he worried that Bella could see them. Or worse that she was right behind them ready to kill them both on the spot. Yet he didn’t dare move, afraid that the movement would catch her eye and they would be found, if they hadn’t been seen already. The pause was long and painful as Harry’s mind imagined the horrible possibilities that could be happening behind his back.

“Harry!” Bellatrix voice rang out piercingly loud. Harry sort of jumped at the abruptness of his name along with they way it echoed through the cave. Silence pervaded for a moment after the echo died. “Bring me the girl and I will let her live….or you will both die!” Her venomous voice dripped with malice.

Harry threw the hollow threats out of his mind, they were only made to frighten him into doing what Bella wanted, and he would never give up Ginny, not without a fight. He knew that one Pogrebin wouldn’t be enough to kill them. Harry could easily handle the creature, especially since he knew it was there. His mind fell upon a frightening idea. Everything in this strange world was not normal, maybe Bellatrix had done something to the Pogrebin and it wasn’t the normal creature they suspected.

There was another long pause in which the dripping of water echoed in the cave. Harry was nervous, but he did everything he could to hide his emotions. He didn’t want Ginny to become frightened. She was crouched in front of him, her face was not too far from his own. Her once determined eyes were now pensively looking into his own. Harry could tell that she was planning something. A couple of minutes later a large grin spread across her face and a sparkle lit her eye. Harry watched her closely wondering what her plan was but astute enough not to ask Ginny her thoughts. He turned his mind back to the malicious woman.

Bellatrix was still silent. She hadn’t moved as though she were waiting for something to happen. Harry heard Bella curse quietly, he quickly grinned at Ginny. Bella hadn’t seen them, which gave him more comfort than he thought was possible. Ginny’s smug smile still beamed on her face, her brown eyes glistened with excitement.

Suddenly footsteps filled the air as Bella moved away from their hiding spot. Ginny’s face quickly filled with concern, she moved her lips close to Harry’s ears and in barely a whisper said, “We need to follow her!”

Harry was taken aback by her words. Following Bella was not exactly his idea of plan. He gave Ginny a frown in reply. Ginny quickly nodded vigorously. Quickly Harry thought up reasons why following Bellatrix would be a good idea. He could easily attack her from behind, but she could quickly turn at the sound of his voice and defend herself from any spell he threw at her. Harry was mostly worried that Bellatrix would hear them, at least they would have a chance sitting in a spot that she already checked, yet how would they ever get out of the maze. In a moment Harry figured out what Ginny was up to. Standing up slowly and quietly, he helped Ginny up. Still holding her hand he led her down the cave tunnels at a safe distance behind Bellatrix.

He smiled as he looked back at Ginny. She had been smart to know that eventually Bella would think that they weren’t there and had found a way out. Bellatrix would then lead them to the next door and Ginny and Harry could escape the cave for good. Harry only worried that Bella would catch them before that, but he was cleverly devising plans for each scenario that ran through his head.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Harry and Ginny crept in the shadows slowly following behind Bellatrix. They kept a far distance behind her and were extremely careful not to make any noises. Harry still doubted if it was a good idea, but he could not come up with anything else that would be better. He had thought of hitting Bellatrix with a spell from behind, but Harry was nervous that she would block it and counter. Harry was too worried that Ginny would be captured again and he wouldn’t let that happen again. Although it wasn’t the best plan it was the safest for now and Harry knew that sooner or later Bella would think that they had left and lead them to the way out. He kept his mind off of what they would do once they went through the next door. Harry had already wondered which would be the best, to follow Bellatrix through the door as fast as they could, or just wait a few minutes before using the door. He hadn’t decided on what exactly to do, and thought it was best to wait and see what would happen.

Ginny walked slightly behind Harry, he had done this purposely so that he could protect her if Bellatrix turned without warning. As they stood waiting behind a corner for Bellatrix to continue moving forward and stop searching small crevices, Harry looked at Ginny. He was proud of her for holding up so well. She had already been through a lot, he couldn’t imagine what torture she had been put through being Bella’s hostage. Harry looked at the makeshift bandaged he had tied tightly around Ginny’s wounded arm, the blood had already soaked up most of the bandage. His eyes met Ginny’s which smiled at him hopefully and trustingly. She didn’t seem to notice the pain, Harry never realized she was so brave. Her determination matched his own, which greatly impressed Harry.

Bellatrix suddenly spewed forth a fountain of curses, which brought Harry back to watching the black haired woman. His whole body tensed at the sound of her fury as Bellatrix anger flared out of control. Harry had seen Mr. Dursley become extremely angry, but never to this extreme. It frightened him a bit as he watched Bellatrix scream, curse and destroy the cave around her. Her rampage was so great that she almost cause a cave in. Ginny’s hand held tightly onto Harry’s, letting him know that he was not the only one a bit taken back by Bellatrix’s tirade. It came to Harry how Bella could torture the Longbottom’s to insanity, her full fledge temper could destroy anything or anyone. As a few of the larger rocks began to fall around her, Bellatrix seemed to gain her composure. With a quick growl of anger, Bellatrix continued forward without searching anymore.

Harry was sure that she had finally given up. They had been following her a long time, but now it paid off. Bella was definitely stalking forward with intent. Harry held onto the cold hand that clung to his own, as he moved forward following Bella. The woman lead them back to down a small passageway that only one person at a time could walk through. Harry waited a while and looked down the passageway to see that not far into stood the door. Bellatrix without even looking back walked through the door, purposefully.

“Is that the way out?” Ginny whispered from behind Harry. She also leaned over looking around the corner of the cave.

“I think so, but we should wait a bit before we follow her. What if she is just waiting on the other side?” Harry explained thoughtfully. “It could be a trap of some sort. She could have known that we were following her.”

“It doesn’t matter much, because there is only one way out,” Ginny reminded him. She thought for a moment and then added, “What we can do, is be prepared if she is waiting for us on the other side.”

“There has to be another exit though, don’t you think?” Harry asked her with hope. “She had to have made more than one exit in this place?”

“I don’t know,” Ginny answered shaking her head confused. She wanted to say that there was a safer way to go, but what if there wasn’t. They could be stuck in the cave forever. Ginny didn’t know what to say. She was afraid that if they left this spot they would never find it again, but she also feared that Bella was waiting on the other side of the door, to kill Harry. “I think our best option is just to be prepared for Bellatrix to trick us. At least we stand a fighting chance, whereas we could be lost in this cave forever.”

She watched Harry’s face become deeply pensive. He turned away from her, Ginny knew him well enough that she could tell that he agreed with her, but was trying to find a better option something that would be safer or more reasonable. Ginny knew there was nothing else they could do either what for Bellatrix to return, or follow her and prepare for a fight. Harry tuned back to her.

“Okay, let’s follow her, but I go in first and then you just wait with the door open. If anything happens I want you run back in here and hide. Don’t worry about me I will find you,” Harry told her.

“Alright,” Ginny agreed knowing that she never intended leave Harry behind in any situation without help. She wasn’t going to tell him that though. Instead she nodded just in agreement to see a bit of relief on Harry’s face. As she followed Harry through the small corridor and waited for him to enter into the door, Ginny prepared herself for the worst.